>decide to sign up for classes
>they cost $1500 where I live
>mfw

>I can't invest into something that will help me earn money and have a job

Get a loan? Ask your parents?

>Truck Driving
>Career

lol ok

Ok well the good news OP is that this is a moot point anyway because the job will be fully automated in 10 years. Find a different shitty job that actually has a future.

Why the fuck is it so expensive?

How many hours trucking would it take OP to make his 1500 back?

Hmm, that sucks OP. Get a burger job or a night time security job for a couple months to raise the cash, I guess.

>taking up a career that will be automated by next year
wew

Don't be an idiot, invest that money.

>thinking the automated trucks won't still require an operator
>not getting in before the job becomes even piss easier than it already is

damn, I had the same problem when I tried to become a telephone switchboard operator, thankfully I found a job as chimney sweep and leech collector.

>thinking there will be high demand for truck drivers after hundred thousands get laid off

Truckerfag here.

With my company about a day or two depending on the load, I get 72% of the action which works out to about 85k a year

With bottom feeder companies like Celadon and Schneider, months at .32 cents per mile.

When those OTTO trucks can back into a busy loading dock swarming with yard dogs at 5am in Brooklyn without hitting anyone or anything I'll be worried then, until then wagecucks need to shut the fuck up

The cost of entry is usually a lot more than 1500. Any reputable school will charge 5 grand. Some companies will train you in lieu of paying a fair wage (Swift, Schneider, Celadon, Osborn, etc.) those guys make less than the cash in my pocket right now in one week. It's laughable.

OP find the Truckerfag thread and ask in there, read the sticky. With VERY few exceptions, megacompanies are shit. Prime is okay only because their training program is so comprehensive and longer than all of the others it's essentially as good as school but more hands on.

You won't make squat in your first 6 months and will probably sleep about as much, once you pay your dues you can make some money. This ain't no McJob it ain't a 9-5. Trucking ain't for sissys and numale faggot boys, you gotta have nuts to do this work. My job can kill you in an instant it is probably the most dangerous job that doesn't require you to carry a firearm, and even then that isn't a bad idea in some places I've delivered to.

The plus side is, if you do go to school, some companies like Prime will re-imburse half of your tuition and the rest you can write off on your taxes. It's a comfy job but you gotta prove you ain't no bitch.

>tfw local place offering to pay for cdl license but it would require me to drop out and i'd rather be an auto tech anyway

im sorry user i'd trade places with you if i could

>When those OTTO trucks can back into a busy loading dock swarming with yard dogs at 5am in Brooklyn without hitting anyone or anything I'll be worried then, until then wagecucks need to shut the fuck up

yes, I bet all those engineers, truck manufacturers, scientists and analysts are completley wrong and your awesome unique truck driving skills will be valueable forever.

>liberal faggot bean-counters with girly hands trying to regulate man work

That's been our industry for the last 100 years it's nothing new

>thinking you'll get to nap for 2000 miles for long

Coal thought that, too.

>1000
>expensive
Fuck off. I have to pay 10 000 just to get my private pilot license

>The cost of entry is usually a lot more than 1500.
In Australia thats all it costs. Then you have to do local work for a year or two before they will even think about letting you go interstate/OTR

If you're really lucky you can find a company near you that needs drivers so badly that they'll pay for your classes

IKTF so hard man

ive only drove a stick car a few times and at first stalled a lot but got better but id worry about taking classes because id probably make an embarassment of myself because backing with a trailer and double clutching sounds hard. would i stand any chance if ive only realy drove automatic cars and still im not a master of backing into places

Once full automation gets approved by the government and it's all squared away why in the hell would any company still pay to keep a human on board? Worst case the automated rig has GPS and you just send out the closest mechanic to fix it or mobilize someone from within the same company but they're def not paying to put someone on automated trucks.

as a former union electrician all trades view truck dricer as lower than scum hell even the laborors beed to have more skills and a lot of those ppl cant even read

truck drivers are more likely to be rapists than any other type of worker

>caring how other people see you

So how will insurance work? There will still be a meatbag in the vehicle.

It'll be much cheaper without a human on board because robots can't sue.

The owner of the robot will get sued.

Why does this picture always make me laugh?

It's gonna be a long fuckin time before driverless automation gets approved, if ever. If it does, it'll only be for interstates and large state highways, and companies will have to switch to a model of having long-haul automated trucks go between cities, and last mile trucks driven by humans to deliver shit. Without strong AI, you aren't going to be able to handle all of the corner cases that come along, especially in city driving and delivery. If strong AI is developed, that opens up a massive can of worms regarding civil rights.

Its going to happen so fast your socks will blow off. Cutting up to 30% delivery costs is no joke.

Depends on the country. It's a legal minefield not having a human onboard as a backup.

Ignoring that truck drivers are one of the cheaper parts of the system, you know the guy who rocks up and signs a piece of paper to say you delivered the correct amount? He gets paid $300+ to sign that form here.

>Robot truck
>Just casually slow down to a stop
>The truck slows down to avoid a collision
>Unload whatever you want from the back of the truck
>No one is there to stop you

Not exactly the same but I work for a ferry and they gave me money to pay for my merchant mariner credential. Maybe you can find a company to pay for your commercial driver's licence?

As the person who posted I've been wondering if they could automate boats, but driving a boat is more complex than driving a car so I'll be safe for a while at least.

>truck license 2000€
>permit to drive truck as job, 5000€

hmmm

>implying the fat methed-out fucks who currently operate the trucks would stop you

It can be if you do interstate driving in semis.

>Thinking you would have any money at all if intelligent beings didn't do all the accounting work to make sure the truck driver monkey people get their pay checks.

citation needed.

Boats have been automated for ages. Yet they still have captains and associated crew

Don't you love how truck drivers think like this?

I mean we have a contractors driver that would rather drive 1.5hours home, empty instead of carting a backload to a tip like 15min from where he lives

Fucken drivers man

>backload
Jewish code for "pays fuck all, wint even cover fuel costs".

Nice try shill. I'd drive the 1.5hrs home too.

don't fill us with false hope, user

A travesty that these weren't ever check'd

>there are people so autistic that they actually bother to check for repeating numbers

>being new

Lol Jesus Christ the autism is real. Get over yourself truck boy your job is going to be automated in a few years. Trucking is the ultimate cuck slave job. I would know as I've done it the last four years. I'm out. Its bullshit and there's nowhere to go. I've decided I'm going to pursue a career in writing the software that drives the self driving trucks. You'll become a bigger steering wheel attendant than you already are now. I seriously hope you're not planning on driving for much longer if you had any brains you would take what you saved from driving and get back into school for a career that won't be automated in the near future.

It's the new landbarge, only bargier.

>four seater luxury sedan
>one-two occupants
>one bag of groceries in the trunk

>four seater luxury truck
>one-two occupants
>one bag of fertilizer in the bed

They cost 6k where I live what the fuck haha

That sucks m8

Cool story bro.

Autistic people are either too nerdy and awkward for truck driving, too intelligent for truck driving or both.

I don't think it's fair to call Autistic people truck drivers. Autistic people can do well in life if they put their minds to it.