LEMME TELL YA HOW A ROTARY ENGINE WORKS

LEMME TELL YA HOW A ROTARY ENGINE WORKS

Other urls found in this thread:

quote.com/auto/wankel-engine/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Go ahead

never ask a rotary guy about rotary cars

Question, is it just mazda that have used rotary engines?

TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES TRIANGLES

no

Hello regular car man

Citroen did one back in the 60s-early 70s.

Wankel engines can be classified by their geometric size in terms of radius (rotor center to tip distance, also the median stator radius) and depth (rotor thickness), and offset (crank throw, eccentricity, also 1/4 the difference between stator's major and minor axes). These metrics function similarly to the bore and stroke measurements of a piston engine. Displacement is 3√3radius·offset·depth, multiplied with the number of rotors (note that this only counts a single face of each rotor as the entire rotor's displacement, and is of course incorrect as there are three faces, equivalent to three piston faces, per rotor, i.e. equivalent to a three-cylinder radial piston motor per rotor). Nearly all Mazda production Wankel engines share a single rotor radius, 105 mm (4.1 in), with a 15 mm (0.6 in) crankshaft offset. The only engine to diverge from this formula was the rare 13A, which used a 120 mm (4.7 in) rotor radius and 17.5 mm (0.7 in) crankshaft offset.[citation needed]

Wankel engines became common place in motor sport events, this created the problem of correcting the representation of each engine's displacement as provided by the manufacturer, for the benefit of competition. Rather than force the majority of participants (driving piston engine cars) to half their quoted displacement (likely resulting in confusion), most racing organizations simply decided to double the quoted displacement of Wankel engines.

The key for comparing the displacement between the 4-cycle engine and the rotary engine is in studying the degrees of rotation for a thermodynamic cycle to occur. For a 4-cycle engine to complete every thermodynamic cycle, the engine must rotate 720° or two complete revolutions of the crankshaft. The rotary engine is different. The engine rotor rotates at 1/3 the speed of the crankshaft. On two rotor engines, front and rear rotors are 180° offset from each other.

LEMME TELL YOU HOW SEQUENTIAL TURBOS WORK

First, at low engine speeds, only the primary intake port is used, speeding intake flow for improved low-end torque. Next, the secondary port comes into operation at around 3750rpm through the opening of its shutter valve, slowing intake flow to increase low- and mid- range torque. In addition, the 6-port engine’s auxiliary port opens at about 6250rpm to maximize intake port
area and boost high-end torque and power output to the upper limit. Finally, with the 6-port engine, the variable
intake valve opens at around 7250rpm (approximately 5750rpm in the 4-port engine), effectively lengthening
the intake manifold for improved mid-range torque. RENESIS also features an electronic throttle system
to optimize response to signals generated by the degree and speed of accelerator pedal operation. The engine
displayed at the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show had a twin type electronic throttle, but with the advent of the
sequential dynamic system and variable fresh air duct, the twin throttle has been replaced with a single type for
more accurate and reliable control. In addition, the naturally aspirated engine generates a suitably sports car-like engine note—one more way that RENESIS enhances driving enjoyment. The 6-port engine incorporates a variable fresh air duct (FAD) in addition to the large, low flow-resistance air cleaner. The variable FAD has a shutter valve that opens at around 5500rpm to shorten the air intake mani- fold upstream of the air cleaner, and work in tandem with the variable intake valve to boost torque and power at high engine speeds. Also, an insulation plate is fitted just below the large air cleaner to isolate it from hot air from the radiator. This lowers the air temperature for improved torque in the regular engine speed range. To achieve a smooth flow of exhaust gases, the RENESIS exhaust system, including the exhaust mani- fold, was made as straight as possible. The system employs large diameter exhaust pipes and high capacity main silencer.

You already know how they work?IMA TELL YOU ANYWAY

Real question, aren't the rotary engines less reliable than standard piston engines?

No

The consume tons of fuel.

yes

oil goes in
apex seals come out

short term:
- fewer things tend to randomly break because they are simpler with fewer parts
long term:
- seals wear out faster due to typically incomplete lubrication
- the engine can run with worn out seals, but needs a rebuild to be repaired

They make a lot of power for their size, but mostly by burning a lot of gas in a given period of time

IMA TELL YA ANYWAY
IMA TELL YA ANYWAY
IMA
IMA
IMA
IMA
IMA TELL YA ANYWAY

For which people is the rx7 for?

rich

Had a Rx8 for 5 years and every old guy just had to have me explain it to them. It got really annoying after a while.

I'd love to get an rx8, but it's either the private seller that can't answer me when I ask for a compression test or the dealership that wants 9k for a 2005 110k rx8.

Not very well, clearly.

BRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

ppl who enjoy the scream of boosted rotary at 9k rpm

We need to make a sticker that does that for you.

Wrong, it's for people who flexes their arms while driving

i bet u flex as you put coins in to pay for your bus fare

u fucking bet i do

YOU KNOW WHAT INITIAL D STANDS FOR?

DICK
I
C
K

Reminds me of the 'It's not Linux it's GNU/Linux' pasta from /g/

>trump abolish the CAFE and the EPA
>Cadillac release a supercharged 8 rotor cts-v

This is how I feel when any coworker brings up cars or bikes. I immediately go full autismo and they wonder what the fuck were they thinking.

Combustion chambers compressed by the crankshaft.

RCR is reddit tier garbage, you have to go back.

>it was revealed that the D stands for "Dream"
>Ryosuke "My Hair Color Isn't The Only Thing That Rotates" Takahashi said this
>he drives an FC3S
>a car with a rotary engine
>an engine invented by a man called Felix Wankel
>Wankel conceptualized his engine in a DREAM
>tfw

Theres also a ford mustang with one amc pacer was built for one and supposedly some corvairs were tested with them

I always hide my power level
Dont like it when people think I know stuff

quote.com/auto/wankel-engine/

Coin toss, depends how well you take care of yours. Seen some go 200K and strong, seen some die at 50K

DEMEROL

how do magnets work?

Supposedly Curtiss-Wright's rotaries were more efficient and more durable than Mazda's. I wonder how different they would've been if they made them for automotive use.

I wish citroen made more crazy shit

think of a fidgetspinner with a air hose spinning it.

All I can ever think of is the Osaka Seafood Concern loyalty song.

Boost goes in, seals come out, that's what Mazda engineering is all about.

>The engine rotor rotates at 1/3 the speed of the crankshaft.

Post WFW you now realize it's only 3000rpm for the rotor an slower than a diesel.

Suicide bombers.

SO YOU HAVE A TRIANGULAR CIRCLE IN THE MIDDLE THAT DIVIDES THE ENGINE INTO THREE CHAMBERS. ONE CARRIES GAS, ONE CARRIES FIRE, AND ONE CARRIES AIR. THE ROUND TRIANGLE SPINS AROUND DUE TO THE GAS THE FIRE AND THE AIR REPULSING AGAINST THE ENGINE BLOCK AND THE MIDDLE GRABS THE DRIVESHAFT AND SPINS THE GEARBOX WHILE THE TRIANGLE BOUNCES OFF THE APEX

Keisuke edit when?

why is it the front end of a car lifts up during acceleration?
even on fwd the front lifts up

Will you tell me how much vaseline you used when you worked on your rotary engine?

Because the weight shifts

They are so sexy nnnngggh
I really want one

>HOW A ROTARY ENGINE WORKS
It doesn't.

Seriously? LUL

IMA TELL YA ANYWAY

YOU THINK YOU'RE HOT SHIT DON'T CHA?

MY DICK IS FULL OF CHEESE. foreeal nofap day 15.

Kek

Ewww

My dick is diamonds after this pic. This is exactly why i bought my rx7.

thispbp

This is actually my friend's car

I really don't care. They sound horrible, are expensive to maintain and usually the people who drive them act like jerks.

Wow, a vintage Scion FR-S. How cool.

>usually the people who drive them act like jerks
That's interesting. I've owned my rx8 now for about a year and the people I've met are pretty cool. Just don't shit talk the rotary, that seems to be a massive trigger.

A local dealer told me 30 grand for their used, priced up RX8. Like 3 months ago. I almost spat in the guys face.

Before I bought my rx8, I saw countless sellers list them for ridiculous prices, like 5k above KBB. And every week I'd see them drop the price by 1k and it would keep up until it was at KBB price and then they would sell it. RX8s are not rare, they are a dime a dozen, but people think they can sell them for rx7 prices.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP UGHNNNN BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

I'll take "What is inertia" for 500 Alex.

>really want the new RX-7
>unlikely to exist, will probably be cancelled due to emission laws
>if it does, it'll likely be over 60k like the FD was (accounting for inflation)

Why do I set myself up for disappointment?

Fujiwara will find a way*