P0171

So my car needed an oil change, so i busted out the wrenches.

>change oil and filter with older brother
>finish up, crack open a cold one with the boys
>car runs fine no problems

3 days and 45 miles later

>driving home
>recently hit 100k mi so im actually worried now my car will fuck up
>check engine light
>ohshit.jpg
>go home use OBD2
>P0171, Fuel trim system Lean
>look under hood
>oil everyfucking where
>fuck that must be it
>Either my dumbass forgot to screw the cap on, or my brother did, I forgot who closed the hood
>2 1/2 quarts of oil left when my car runs on 5
>fill up 2 quarts cause its late and no place is open for another quart

How fucked up did my shitbox get? I'm thinking about just going erasing the code like nothing happened; or should i check my MAF and O2 sensor to see if any are faulty?

>2007 chevy malibu Inline 4

Replace the lost oil, if it idles smoothly and accelerates smoothly youre fine

>2007 chevy malibu Inline 4

It's fine . Gm cars run best when severly neglected.

>Le GM meme
I fucking despise this car, its the worst car I've ever owned, but I got it for free so beggars can't be choosers.

It may be a boaring car but it is true that GM powertrains are the best on the market. Everything else is fair game.

p0171 is usually unmetered air getting into the intake system behind the MAF. You may have a vacuum leak.

O2 sensors usually never fix a P0171 or P0174, its a different code.

so your saying the code is not related to the gas cap being off?
Should I erase the code and see if it comes back later to confirm if that's the case?

Erase the code, if it comes back you have an issue.

Gas cap is a separate code for the evaporative control system it depends on the model or make on the code.

It's possible with some engines to get a lean code by leaving the oil cap loose/off due to the PCV system generating crankcase vacuum. An easy way to test this is to run the engine at idle and try removing the oil cap. If you feel a SMALL amount of suction and the engine starts running funny then you have the answer to your lean code. If the cap kind of flops around in the hole then it's also fine, but doesn't explain the lean code as this means you have fluctuating pressure/vacuum in the crankcase which effectively cancel each other out.

>forgetting to finish the job

are you "mentally different"

where would i feel the succ from? the oil cap? does that mean i can clear the code and drive and keep an eye on it in case it pops up again?

We all make mistakes, i made a big one, so what

It could be from the oil cap make sure its tight. Any leak in your crankcase above the oil could cause a vacuum leak because the PCV is behind the MAF. It is probably something to do with your oil cap since this happened after you changed the oil.

If it comes back see if there's an O ring on your oil cap and replace it or buy a new cap.

Holy fuck, you always check the job the next day.

Did you not hear anything or where you too busy sucking your brothers dick?

There is an o ring, but how will replacing it fix the issue?
>implying

If air is getting through the O ring it will be entering your engine through the PCV valve.

Bingo, I had this code for nearly a year and even heard the leak whistling but I couldn't find it until I saw some people talking about the PCV valve.

Took it off, cleaned it with carb cleaner, everything's back to normal.

You probably have sludge build up, that's what causes the valve to stick open.

> first thing to check is the OBD

Really? I bet you wear pink shirts you faggot

Just bend the tabs down with a hammer to make the prong squeeze a bit more

> still has factory oil cap o ring on a 30 year old car

Pink is an amazing summer color in san francisco, you should try it
Thats relieving to hear, i'll try it out
Holy kek 30 years?

Ohfuck.jpg

Erased the code and replaced the oil filter cap, the code hasn't came back yet.