Why is the new Civic so huge?

Why is the new Civic so huge?

muh crush safetility

Because you posted the 4-door sedan version.

Thats a hatch

Do you really want to drive the tin can on the left on American roads today?

Fat fucks.

I wouldn`t want to drive on American roads, ever.

>"hatch"
>fatter sedan

Stupid fucking Honda. The whole idea of a hatchback is to get more trunk space from a smaller car, not extend the car and add 1 cubic ft of space. That's more of a liftback than a hatch.

>Driving along in your small classic car
>Middle class mum in her fuckhuge suv shitbox too distracted by her 50 shades of grey audiobook drives over you

Why it's so damn ugly?

Because it's not your 90s shitbox

myself, my wife and my nephew all had a hearty laugh visualizing this.

Thanks

Liftback is still a hatch wtf are you on about. Also, the hatchback is 4 in shorter than the sedan and offers significantly more trunk space. It's just slightly taller.

So my equinox shitbox just got in a tiny fender bender and is totaled. I had a '09 civic that was the best car i have ever driven, i put 110k on it and it was as solid on the regrettable day that i sold it as it was on the day i bought it.

My question is now, 8 years later, can i still trust the civics to be as reliable? '09 and '17 respectively.

>the 3-door subcompact honda hatch will never EVER make a comeback

just kill me now lads

We currently have a nuclear arms race in terms of size and mass of vehicles.

When it comes to safety in an accident, all other factors being the same, the people in the heavier vehicle will wind up being less hurt than the people in the lighter vehicle.

It boils down to two issues: g-force and momentum. Other than getting hit by or hitting objects in the cabin, people in accidents get hurt by sudden large changes in velocity, which is often expressed in g-force. When a head-on accident occurs, the more speed a vehicle loses and the more quickly it loses that speed, the worse the injuries its passengers sustain.

Momentum comes into play whenever two objects collide. If the two objects have the same momentum, they suffer from the collision equally. If one has more than the other, the one with less has its velocity changed more greatly than the one which has more momentum.

Since momentum is a product of velocity and mass, the more massive vehicle will fare better. In a head-on collision, the more massive vehicle will slow down less suddenly than the less massive one, if it even comes to a complete halt. Meanwhile, the less massive vehicle will not only slow down quickly, likely to a full stop, but it may even bounce off the other vehicle and move backwards. You can imagine that your speed changing from 40 to 0 is not as severe as it change from 40 to 10 in the direction you came from.

So, when it comes to safety, every manufacturer has a reason to make larger and heavier vehicles because light vehicles will cause passengers to be hurt more thanks to coming to a more sudden stop in any given accident.

Not only that, but people want more cabin space and more cargo space in their vehicles, so they get to satisfy consumer demand while they look good on safety ratings.

A pizza place near me always has a blue 3-door first gen civic in absolute mint condition parked in front of it. Assuming it's one of the employees. Absolutely fucking gorgeous in person, you would not believe. I didn't care for the first gen until I saw it.

You see, this isn't even a joke.

I drive a modern VW Beetle to work 1.5 hours there and back everyday.

And I almost get squished by a F150 or FUCKHUGESUV EVERY FUCKING DAY.

Yet another reason that modern cars are heavier is because of crumple zones. Some people interpret crumple zones as meaning there are weak parts in the vehicles design that get crushed in an accident. This is only true relative to other parts of the same vehicle. When comparing a new car to an equivalent old car, the new car is stronger all around.

The point about crumple zones is that they reduce the severity of the accident by resisting the impact and taking way the energy present as they are crushed. If they are weak, they will simply collapse without offering any resistance or making any difference. Old cars tend to be built that way. Comparing equivalent crash tests, you'll see older cars take far more visual damage from the crash than newer equivalent cars because the bodywork offered no meaningful resistance to the crash. The result is that the crash intrudes into the cabin space and parts of the vehicles hit the passengers.

The extreme opposite of this are old cars built like tanks such as Volvo station wagons. Those vehicles have cabin rigidity similar to modern cars, but front and rear of the vehicles have the same rigidity. The car, itself, will not take so much damage in an accident, but this means the vehicle has the tendency to come to a sudden stop. If the object it's crashing into doesn't give way, the passengers are likely to be injured from the g-forces of the vehicle stopping so suddenly.

Now go back to the older cars that offer no meaningful resistance to crashes. Newer cars are all heavier than those because reinforcing the crumple zones to offer meaningful resistance and reinforcing the cabin to remain strong even when the rest does not adds weight to the vehicle.

This means that car companies will continue making their vehicles larger and heavier to make them have advantages over competitors, and the competitors will try to do the same.

More space to fit the thickness.

Cars are super strong these days desu.
I got rammed by an F150 in a fucking Beetle last week and the bumper is barely fucked up.

Still making him replace it because I hate people who drive big trucks and don't need them.

The estimate to fix a bumper was 1.5k, I fucking love German cars.

So, what factors pressure car manufacturers into making smaller, lightweight vehicles? Only fuel mileage and emission standards.

If you think that rising mileage and emission standards will result in manufacturers putting a stop to this and making smaller, lightweight cars, you're wrong.

The real pressure isn't to improve mileage or emissions, it's to remove them entirely.

Car manufacturers will respond to those mileage and emission standards by making all of their vehicles electric, because that's the only way to satisfy all of the increasing requirements set by all the actors in play.

Enjoy.

I drive a 2015 Civic coupe, one that people complained about being too big, and I STILL feel like I'm a moment's way from death every time I hit the highway with all those trucks, SUVs, crossovers, semis, etc surrounding me everywhere.

Fucking amerifats have to ruin small cars for those of us that actually enjoy driving.

Think you meant your wife's nephew

I really hate SUVs and Trucks.

They endanger everyone on the road because no one actually is trained to drive a vehicle that size that choses to.

Good lord yes

times change. we live big now. you can go to indonesia and enjoy your kei car over there.

who is this semen demon?

Dude, you live in Japan. Isn't that crazy?

I live in Texas m80

I had a piece of shit '05 Equinox I just sold off to some Mexican on Craigslist for a down payment on a '17 Civic. Easily the best decision I've made in my life, even more so than having sex with a minority.

Because of the fit

Fat cars for a nation of fat people

jesus

That's even crazier

It appears as though the F150 has installed a rear door that swings back to own

are you sure you arent talking about a mitsubishi colt? where in TX Is this? There is a pizza place near me that has a bad ass old blue japanese shitbox outside all the time.

Large hatchbacks like the Focus, Impreza, and Civic are basically wagons nowadays.

Looks like shit

Yeah, it actually says Honda and Civic on the back. Looks exactly like my pic except in a vibrant blue and practically showroom condition. I might take a pic and post it here if I see it tomorrow

>tin

too heavy, fiberglass a best

I fucking hate trucks, SUVs, and crossovers, minivans too. Part of me wants to find a 1994 EG hatch and install a couple of simple mods on it, blast [COOL VIBRATIONS], and it them with 348 horsepower from the FRONT WHEELS.

fite me irl

Remove exhaust or replace with glasspack

Be loud enough that they hear you before they see you, works for Harley and VW's alike.

That's what they should be. Hatchbacks get more volume with less, wagons get more volume with more, but are should share the same shape.

Because new cars need to look like bars of soap just incase a moron walks out in front of it and they need a place to take a sleep.

Yeah, No not quite.

Every car is huge compared to their original counterpart
I fucking hate it

I used to daily a 95 GMC 4x4 short, and if you hit me...I'd walk away...I would call an undertaker for you...
Drive a 2005 Chev extcab 4x2 now...would still walk away if you hit me...

So it has, like a foot more trunk pace than a hatchback?

>Veeky Forums family time

It has the same space as the hatchback with lowered seats without lowering the seats.
are you blind?

Feels bad man

"THICC" is just a way to sugarcoat that you like disgusting fat lards

Why is the Miata so big?

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""MINI""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Holy shit that's even worse than the Fiat

The 500 has another problem IMO
It's not RR

neph is on curse with me getting a lil overwatch time in and wife is in bed across the room. It is no secret in my family that i use 4chuin, but i do make mention that i dont frequent like /mlp/ and shit.

>LOW TEST REPORTING IN

> Thinking a foot more of space isn't a HUGE difference
After delivering furniture and shit for a year trust me when I tell you every extra inch you can spare is a fuck huge difference in capacity. Regardless see

Because the car on the left is an under powered, shit handling, uncomfortable and unsafe death trap where the car on the right can actually handle doing the speed limit in most road conditions and is also safe and comfortable to drive.

You fags with your old cars being better bullshit is just sad and proves you have never driven these old cars.

The world needs more of those desu

Y-yeah, who would do something like that

I still dont get the mandatory safety bullshit
if you want a big, safe and heavy car then get one but i fwwl like lighter ones should still be manufactured for people who understand the risk theyre taking and wont blame anyone but themselves if the lack off safety ends up fucking them

Yes and I'm sure most here would agree, but that's a relatively small market pretty much limited to enthusiasts. It's also possible that such vehicles could generate negative PR for a manufacturer and as such hurt the company's overall sales.

TL;DR: Normal people don't care about that, and if they hear some of [Manufacturer's] cars aren't safe they'll think all of [Manufacturer's] cars are unsafe and will take their business elsewhere.

yes because cars with low safety ratings sell really well to the general market.

TIME TO TURN TO BUILDING OUR OWN SHITBOXES

I drive an 85 Fiero daily amid flyover fuck hueg trucks. Now that shit is fucking sketchy. I have literally parked my car under my buddy's dodge once.

the only place it should ever be

My Fiero was backed into last month by a contractor in a SUV. Told me that he saw two silver cars parked, then drove past and backed into his parking spot. Looked right over the roof of my car and kept going until my rear bumper hit the other. I didnt see it happen, but my neighbors did and came over to tell me.

The guy even had a backup camera... I fucking swear to god giant cars should be restricted. One day they will kill me. But hey I got 800 bucks out of him. Based neighbors.

honestly, that is incredible

New cars became bigger on outside, but shrinked size inside.
???????????????????? For what purpose?

See

The third gen Twingo from what I understand is RR. Before you know it they'll make a rotary Twingo and fulfil the Veeky Forums memes.

You've got to remember that we live in a society where people are so dumb that they need the government to protect them from everything. something like that simply wouldn't sell these except to a very select few.

bro that's a Fiat 500 at 56mph... civic does heaps better

take a wild guess

>based on the smart car platform

>I hate people who drive big trucks and don't need them.
that's a lot of projecting you're doing there, bud

Is it my fault that someone MIGHT crash somewhere at sometime? Why do they do something like that globally? Why DO I have to suffer from their shitty "improvements"?

So what might be the brand new Civic's price? I want to know which 90's shitbox are we talking about.

If you drive 1.5 hr each way then "work" for 9 hr how do you still have time to shit post on 4chains? Or better yet for what purpose do you spend 12 hr a day on work for if when you come home you are shit posting on the chain?

That's not particularly unusual hours for people working a trade. My local union is almost nationwide and the contractor I work for bids work in most of New York. When I was an apprentice I was commuting from Syracuse to Corning. I bought an '09 civic for that and put like 20k miles on it the first year it was great.

All new cars are huge dude. Have you been under a rock in the last 17 years?

That's not projection. He just hates people who drive big trucks and don't need them. "Projection" would imply that he owns a big truck and doesn't need it while hating people that own big trucks and don't need it.

Retard.

Because a car is mandatory. You can understand the risks and not like them, but it's still mandatory. Should risk be mandatory? And people are actually dumb enough to think all cars are the same. Miata? Must be as safe as an SUV, cars are safe.

Compare motorcycles which have no safety features and are continuously getting faster and cheaper. Like, a fucking economy bike like the FZ-07 gets to 60 in 3.4 for 8 grand new. And is shaped to impale pedestrians. That's fine, because it's not mandatory, and it's clearly a motorcycle and morons can tell that it is riskier than a car.

>inb4 having to live close to your job etc

Is that the Mini Countryman? They are fucking HUGE for a hatch when you see them IRL, they tower over my Corolla.

The girl in the pic is the right kind of thick. She's built to make baby's for you. Hip to waist ratio, no cottage. Though she needs to stay in shape. Forced perspective in the pic makes her baby basket look bigger too. Forced perspective can be used to make your ween look bigger in,ur dick pics too. Look it up.

because car makers are stupid and want to make a fwd car have a refined ride like a rwd car with a long wheelbase, it's a fucking civic not a e-class

I dunno, why are DEEZ NUTZ so huge?

you mean a bike