itch.io/jam/agdg-loli-jam-2017
store.steampowered.com/app/353540/
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Loli Jam!
itch.io/jam/agdg-loli-jam-2017

Art is gamedev.

it is

How's your progress, user-kun? Did you achieve a lot today?

Just woke up 30 minutes ago, had breakfast and espresso.
Gonna start devving now.

Actual Loli Jam!
>loli jam runs April 1 to 15
>post your progress in the thread to cause endless REEE from normie shitposters
>upload your game to any filehost and link in the thread
>if you get banned we will honor your memory
>lolijam friendly irc is #AGDC on rizon.net (irc://rizon.net/AGDC)

Reminder that if you ever want to be successful, stay away from agdg jams.

They're organized by talentless hacks and want to drag others here down to their level. Just work on your own game; make what you want.

Who's your favorite videogame concept artist?

Went to bed yesterday with a serious bug in the code. Of course, like always, I've figured out the solution almost the moment I woke up. Too bad I'll only have the chance to sit down devving again at the end of the day.

What if what I want to make is jam games?
As a beginner making jam games helped me a lot, forced me to learn things I may not have otherwise learned. Things that I can now apply to my main game to make it better.

Help me /agdg/. I have two concepts I came up with during a 17 hour train trip a few weeks ago. One is a more generic action rpg side scroller, the second one is a more niche, weird game, with a smaller possible player base, but also a higher uniqueness potential. Which one I dev?

the one you would enjoy making more
your "potential playerbase" means fuckall if you're going to halfass the game because you felt like making was a chore

Make a prototype of both. Only spend a week or two on each prototype.
Then choose which one you had more fun devving, and which one seems like a more fun prototype. If you're unable to finish a prototype in 2 weeks then that game is probably out of scope for a 1 man army.

The one which falls into the middle.

Based on your comment alone, I would go with the second.

I only know Viktor Antonov by name :(

>Games I want to have made
Can someone translate that for me?
I genuinely don't understand that sentence.

>start writing story for my game
>can't write anything serious without sounding pretentious
what do I do?

Read some books.

Practice more.
Do revisions of the same thing until it gets better.
Get feedback.
Actually study about how to write. I bet your dumb fucking ass didn't even consider that as an option.

A game that you want to exist. Whether you make it or someone else makes it, you want that game to be made.

Post something here, let's see how bad it is.

more progress on this map, I guess

Do you guys really can't distinguish russians from middle-asians, turks, and other asians and mongolians? (since I've never seen a russian face on this-is-russian image memes yet. And by never I mean never.)

Meant to quote you:

You can if you want', but it will minimize your chances at success.

>forced me to learn things I may not have otherwise learned
You just convinced yourself of this. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Are you really so young that you don't know the USSR controlled vast swaths of central asia, which is full of turkic mongols?

Why are we even having this conversation on Veeky Forums and not /int/? Go make a thread there

I'm making a game somewhat about quantum physics and sokoban for the micro/small agdg jam.

Understanding the game mechanics by yourself is part of the experience so don't watch if you don't like spoilers.

Games you want to play. Games you want to see on the shelves on the store. Games you wish big companies would make. Games you think should already exist. Etc.

Example: "I wish there would be more RTS games other than this MOBA crap. Hey, I know! I'll make one!"

just write.
If it's bad, that's good, because at least you know what's bad and what isn't.

Re-write, a lot.

Reminder that art is far more important than programming in the current indie climate. If you want to optimize your game's chances at success, practice your art skill every day, be it in 2D or 3D, and stop making shitty, uninteresting 8-16bit pixelshit.

Progress.

It sort of hurts my eyes, but it also makes angry that how come some people can make a simple cube look nice while I can not.

So good job and that mechanic with the blue cube is cool.

I wrote 2 lines of code and scribbled in mspaint

That monstrosity is far from looking nice. Christ, my eyes.

>sokoban

I don't know if you plan to take your game further, but this game is some good shit (and is kinda based on the idea of sokoban):

store.steampowered.com/app/353540/

If you don't want to pay for it, there's a mega link in /indie/ too...

u guys like my character select screen

htt WHY p://puu. DOESN'T sh/vclAw/bda2deea92.m 4CHANLIKEPUUSH p4

It's just a CRT shader I downloaded, I'm still playing around with the settings.

Just upload weebm friend

Cool. Is that zoomed in though or what?

>____ is a nerd

Does anyone older than 13 write this?

Arne

No it wont minimize anyone's chances of success. What are you even talking about with that?

It is the truth though. Some of the jam games I made were genres or types of games I would have never made outside of a jam. And because of that I learned new approaches and new tools. Expanding what I know about gamedev, which will help me with my dream projects.

i rendered a webm but then it said no sound was allowed so i said fuck it

I did this but it was more like 50 lines.

Novel idea, it tickles me... I'm not sure I like it.
Also goddamn work on your animations lol (both transitions and characters)

I would post the fundamentals_of_animation.webm but apparently I forgot to save it.

mixtape.moe you baka

>No it wont minimize anyone's chances of success. What are you even talking about with that?
Yes it will. You're working on something that wasn't your idea, nor planned on working in the first place. It's just a stupid, meaningless activity for retards like yourself.

Again, people will ALWAYS be better off working on their main game.

Implemented randomized titles for later on as a bit of juiciness, it's just a placeholder because I couldn't think of anything else to write.

>Again, people will ALWAYS be better off working on their main game.
Please provide proof.

>Just work on your own game; make what you want.

What if I want to work on jam games?

that's alright then, Mr. Fish

How does one study to write senpai?

virus do not click

Read books on the topic.
Go to classes on the topic.
Deconstruct books that are considered good.
Watch youtube videos on the topic.
All possible, put in order of sane (top) to retarded (bottom)

>No it wont minimize anyone's chances of success. What are you even talking about with that?
>comprehension of a retard
By all means, continue wasting your time on jams. It's all talentless idiots like you have because you certainly don't have a hope in hell of becoming successful.

read a book nigga

It's part of the experience. I will probably make it more zoomed out in later levels.

>You're working on something that wasn't your idea
But a jam game is your idea. Just because a jam theme is slightly restricting doesn't mean you become a mindless zombie with no input on the game you're making for the jam.

>nor planned on working in the first place
Except you can plan to work on jam games.

>It's just a stupid, meaningless activity
It's a way to learn, it's far from meaningless. You also learn other equally important skills that you wont learn making your dream game. For example how to set up a nice looking itch.io page to entice people to download your game. And also interacting with people that play your game, whether it's them giving feedback or reporting a bug. Those are things you don't learn until you release something.

ok faam
heading over to Veeky Forums

Clearly you guys are successful yesdevs, which games have you sold?

You fucking can't, you have to do exactly what I say if you want to be successful.

>yesdevs
How hard have you been sucking gogem's greasy, smegma covered cock today?

Every time I start to make some sweet 'gress, I fall into a nodev hole.

Then, when I come back, I just want to start over with something new.

How le fug do I stop doing this?

good luck

the generic advice I see everywhere is if you're able to commit the time, work on your project every day, if only even for an hour on some small shit.
No "rest days" either, or the one day you take off will fuck you.

Redid the anim/movement system due to dd13 feedback. Still a little bit of tweaking to go, but done nonetheless.
Gotta work on guns now, firerate and stuff has to be redone too.

Maybe you autistically focus too much on polishing one tiny not really important detail? Subconsciously being afraid of venturing into other new unknown features. "Perfectionism" is one of the biggest threats to progress imo

I'm proud of you

Is smooth scrolling in a 2D game even possible in Unity? Or am I doing something inherently wrong? Got some annoying stuttering, despite perfectly stable 60fps.

>2D
>Unity
I'm so sorry, user

/v/ thread up

Toeto?

Great, now the /v/ thread will be as shitty as AGDG, why do you do this to me?

Well I can "easily" move on to 3D I guess. Can't into sprite art anyways, just started with 2D for simpler physics.

But the physics is already done for you in Unity.

How do I give a silent protagonist character development?

Cut their hair.

>Got some annoying stuttering, despite perfectly stable 60fps.

You're probably updating things incorrectly in your code (especially the camera)

Check this chart

docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html

The fact that you're asking this question shows how much of a retard you are.

Free tip: don't make a story-driven game. You're not cut out for it.

Too bad, I'm gonna cut their hair

you could just leave them a blank slate and let the player use their imagination/self-insert, like half-life

Or just have implied dialogue like zelda games do.

Cut her penis

OH REALLY?

Imagine Gordon Freeman but without a beard.

Now imagine throughout the game, his beard slowly starts growing. After a while it becomes a goatee, and at the end of the game it becomes wizard-tier. Now appearance is actually a great way to express a person's characteristics, so this way you can imagine your protagonist starting off young and naive, then slowly growing up into a wise and old man, all without ever saying a word.

Have you played Dust: An Elysian Tale?

I always forget to post just enough progress to not be called a whodev.

Anyways, after having finished the 2nd boss, I'm now working on the underworld/hell levels.

Isn't that the fur shit game

>not at least recognizing it for its technical achievements made by mostly one dude.

>You're probably updating things incorrectly in your code (especially the camera)

Maybe, but I'm not aware of it. The camera is attached as a child to the player, I'm setting player velocity in FixedUpdate(). But it happens when moving with a constant speed, so there shouldn't be any velocity changes between frames at all.

> hurr evil furries

I don't like that trend either, but the design and gameplay is excellent and you're a dumbass.

if you consider this as a good way to showcase what your tutorial is about, you deserve to be shot

Give me 3 reasons furry art is a bad thing.

Protip: you can't.

I made a shader

Nice, but you should fix the black outline around the pelvis disappearing when the arm passes by the second time.

1) it's closet bestiality
2) it's fucking gay closet bestiality in most cases
3) it's obnoxious and furfags shoehorn their fetish into everything

Awful fanbase would be one good reason. But besides there's no problem as long as it's done well. Countless Nintendo characters fall into the same category, after all.

It seems to be about convolution.
That would look much better written in C++.

Looks great except for what mentioned. Keep it up!

And then there's this asshole...