Best and worst cars to come out of British Leyland?

The Vanden Plas Allegro may have been the worst car out of Britain.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0aAOIQ1SaU4
youtube.com/watch?v=BbzcT_-vmrE
wusa9.com/features/what-s-trending/ford-recalls-570000-vehicles-due-engine-fires-doors-that-fly-open/426612642
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Did they make any good cars? At all?

Bump for shitty cars

They didn't make near as many shitters as burgerland did. Not much to choose from.

Their cars also weren't 'catch on fire randomly' bad, but they WERE 'bits fall off semi-randomly' bad from what I've been told.

My sole experience was the Leyland gearbox fitted to an old Peugeot my mother owned when I was a kid. It had a hard time starting in hot and cold weather, it crunched when it wasn't happy, the clutch squealed when it got wet and then, eventually, nearly constantly, and it often took fiddling with the choke to make it run properly.
It also finally died on a road trip, hauling the fully laden car up a steep hill. Much less reliable after that, but still ran for a few years after being sold.

I saw a documentary about them, apparently they were constantly getting sent to dealerships unfinished because lazy bongs went on strike. Shit like that never happened with the big 3.

>'catch on fire randomly'
yes they were

TVR made many a car-shape suicide contraption

>never happened with the big 3
No, they just knowingly sent out literal death machines and refused to recall them.

Nobody thinks "American car=death trap" after a few unsafe cars got made. Leyland actually had a bad reputation from the sounds of it.

During the Malaise Era it was common knowledge that American cars were all gas-sucking shitbarges.

t. Euroshit
American compacts were still well liked.

I'm a Burger, actually.

Ah, you must mean the Pinto.

>Names the one bad one
Try again shill

AMC Gremlin
AMC Pacer
Chevy Chevette

Yes

>Pintos
>Bad
The first model year or so. After the whole gas tank thing was fixed, they were okay cars.

>AMC Gremlin
>AMC Pacer

The only thing bad about these cars is their fuel mileage.

Anything triumph is bad

Especially the dolomite

The gt6 is one of the best looking British cars

Under the skin it's pretty garbage desu, but dat roof line....

youtube.com/watch?v=0aAOIQ1SaU4

Does the Mini count?

>See this
>Look it up because it seems rad
>Australia

I knew Leyland of UK couldn't build a barge this cool.

They hardly sold that well here given they came out just as the oil crisis hit.

youtube.com/watch?v=BbzcT_-vmrE

I had a feeling they didn't sell well, suprised I never heard of it even as a burger, I like Aussie shit (Have had a minor interest since seeing an imported XB as a kid) so I've looked into it quite a bit, this thing went completely under my radar. I kind of like it.

Well it is the quintessential British car, and one of the few things they did right.

>Nobody thinks "American car=death trap"

That's what a lot of the world thinks (see explorer tires, Crown Vic unrequested acceleration, explorer unrequested acceleration, Pinto exploding, GM engines falling out, Ford's park to reverse killer, chevy pickup side impact explosions, electrical fires in every 1992-2004 Ford, Jeep's killer none parking brake), and the new mustang getting a lower NCAP score than Chinky cars hasn't changed that.

Minis are only good because everyone was piss poor and needed something cheap

Their literal death traps

Yeah and sometimes being good at basic cheap transportation is something worth being loved for, look at the Twingo (The smile also helps).

Also Mini's have some good history behind them with their racing victories as well, everyone likes a david and golaiath tale, and no one cars too much about the safety as everything from that era was dogshit in that regard anyways.

I'm using this thread as an opportunity to show my shitbox which is THE worst "car" ever made. British Leyland cannot compete.

Not even a burger but BL was the biggest lump of shit in the history of auto makers. Everyone just went on strike and did a shit job of building cars.

Has Phil Oakey ever helped tip it back onto its wheels for you?

So far it's only ever reached 45 degrees round a mini roundabout, but after changing the dampers it's better. But I can trust Phil Oakley to get me out of trouble in future.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is what burgercucks actually believe.

Having owned 4 classic Minis I can tell you that yes, they absolutely are a death trap. There is basically a sheet of metal between you and certain death if you hit (or get hit by) anything bigger than a cat. I can also tell you though that the initial idea for the Mini was to provide a cheap way for the district nurses to get around and see their patients. It also came about because of a worldwide fuel shortage, nothing to do with everyone being piss poor it wasn't the bloody depression anymore. Hell every celebrity in Britain had to have one because they were just that good.

Best has got to be the p76.
V8 powered family car with a boot big enough for a 44 gallon drum and more.

> Light weight due to fibreglass
> No car license needed
> Fast and agile
They're still around today.

Speaking of Celberties in Britan, and Mini coopers, David Bowie, before he was famous actually installed windows on Mini's for awhile.

also clubman's are neat. something so wrong and right about the boxy front end.

At least the spontaneous combustion and trying to eject passengers is long gone, oh.

wusa9.com/features/what-s-trending/ford-recalls-570000-vehicles-due-engine-fires-doors-that-fly-open/426612642

But that's Ford USA. Ford Europe is better now.

Wow, had no idea Bowie worked in the factory.

I don't mind the Clubmans either, my first Mini was a 1275 LS Clubman. The best thing about them is they have slightly more room in the engine bay, which is great for shoving a 4EFTE in there.