Whats the point of a locking differential in a truck?

Whats the point of a locking differential in a truck?

explain it to me like I am 5.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pEpdZsMv4ks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well you see little boy, it locks the differential so it wont slip

get it now?

Ever seen My Cousin Vinnie?

It looks so no one can steal it? Don't you need a key?

It makes the wheels on both sides rotate at the same speed. If you lose grip on that axle, without a locking diff, you'll see how one tire is still/rotating with the cars speed, while one is spinning as fast as it can.

Locked - equal speed on the wheels at all times, giving you much more predictability, and you know for sure that the tires are gonna utilize whatever grip they can find as they are guaranteed to have power.

Its essentially to make you get through tougher terrain and tall climbs

Locking diff means both wheels receive the same amount of power, they are "locked" on the axel. It has nothing to do with theft.

uggooo gagag aaaaaaaaaaaaallluureyreewwwwwww ggggguuuuu

MY BIOLOGICAL CLOCK
*STOMP STOMP STOMP*
IS TICKING

Because asphalt isn't the only surface in the world

In a truck it is used to easier to handle and tontow or to burnouts.

Usually accompanies having 4x4 as well and it's meant exclusively for offroad/mud/snow use.

First you need to know how a regular diff works. And then you need to think about how a diff "works" when it's in the mud or snow. Usually you got one wheel spinning and the other one's just stationary, right? If you got 4x4, that also applies to the front wheels too - one wheel is spinning and the other one's stationary. Most cases having two wheels out of the four is good enough.

But not always. Enter the locking diff. Engage that and now you got both wheels spinning at the same speed and at the same time. More wheels, more traction, more traction, less chance of getting stuck.

It's absolutely useless on dry pavement though and in fact if you were to engage it on dry pavement, you might fuck up your rear end. At the very least you're going to wear out your tires.

It makes it drifting easier in a taller vehicle

so whats the difference between a locking diff and say an LSD/ Torsen Diff

Locking diff LOCKS the whole axle together. It's not really a diff anymore once it's locked. Limited slip still allows some play between the two wheels, it just limits how much of it.

One is locked 100% of the time, the other isn't. Are you retarded?

Sage

>absolutely useless on pavement.
Limited slips are exactly that, "limited". The don't lock 100%, neither do torsens.
A locker is better for acceleration on asphalt.
This is hotrodding 101 and you just failed.
Yes, you wear out tires. Yes it " pushes" through turns (when the diff is locked, it wants to go straight).
You'll only break shit if you haven't built your axles to match. But you also can burn clutches/snap u-joints with just sticky tires and a posi-trac.

On a daily driver it's shit. Would you prefer to have traction in the rain and snow or would you like to have traction the small amount of times you engage it off-road? Remember, while the locker rules off road, it's still an open diff on the street.

A locker is a no brainer in a jeep or such...but a truck usually works better with a good LS.

Remember he's 5

He did ask, why you would use a locking diff in a truck and not a 2000Hp drag racer. Never been drag racing myself, I'm sure it's loads of fun.

>not locking your diffs when you drive on wet pavement
get a load of this loser

its a relic from when people would actually take their 4x4 off road so that when 1 wheel comes off the ground all of the power is not sent to that 1 wheel.

>he doesn't lock his diff so it can't be stolen by niggers

deep inside, every trucker has a childhood dream of being dagumi. locked diff is for drifting purposes, you can't do those cool skids when your 6x6 drive forces you out of every traction loss

4x4 with no locker is a two wheel drive
4x4 with one locker is 3 wheel drive
4x4 with two lockers is a real 4x4

Used to have a truck with front and rear lockers. It was a beast off road. Never got stuck. Had 35" mud tires with about a 6" lift. There were times I would of got stuck but one wheel had traction and kept dragging it forward.

>It's absolutely useless on dry pavement

Try driving a pickup with 400+hp. It's definitely nice as shit to have. Even with it you'll still destroy the tires with a heavy foot. Even 4x4 isn't quite enough sometimes.

youtube.com/watch?v=pEpdZsMv4ks