/sthg/ Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more

/sthg/ #725 - Kidnaphog Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/gI140Sq
youtube.com/watch?v=6tGXLVnILis
strawpoll.me/12699888
youtu.be/3yX_1gJ_51M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Slow

2nd for best girl

FAST

STANDING

Continue posting redesigns!!

I kinda like it.
Definitely not the worst redesign I've seen.

ON THE EDGE

Googled Sonic Boom Redesigns, & got this.

I actually really like it, except Tails's horrifying hand tails.

Amy should have more of a magic motif. Her whole "tarot cards" thing has never been explored. It also explains the "hammer space" thing.

This person is taking their shitty redesign way too seriously. That is neither cute nor stylish. It's just generic noodle arm adventure time bullshit.

I actually find Sonic's fingerless gloves to be more odd than the hand tails, personally.

What'd he do?

You guys really need to let that go. He since admitted that he'd never even played a Sonic game, that he had no real idea what he was talking about and that other people like ShayMay and even Ryan Bloom had better ideas.

Too bad he can't go back in time and just not do it. Why did he even think it was a good idea to talk about shit he had no clue about?

>He since admitted that he'd never even played a Sonic game
Who? The person who drew that? I don't even know who it is, I just think that drawing looks like shit and I don't understand why I see it posted here so much.

Because other than the crappy redesigns, he had another point to make: that SEGA isn't focusing on the core audience that they need to, and that's adults. That's a valid point no matter what he was proposing.

He came at Sonic from a businessman's perspective, not a fan. But you need both to solve this mystery.

>and that's adults
I will forever disagree with this horseshit.
>but the kids that liked him then are adults now so they should pander to those adults
They should work on capturing kids today the same way they did back then. Doing that will capture both. The guy was 100% retarded and wrong.

To be fair, it's been a while since that design was posted here.

IMO, SEGA should focus on making good Sonic games, because that can appeal to both kids & adults.

>SEGA isn't focusing on the core audience that they need to, and that's adults.
Pandering to nostalgia is peanuts compared to autismal little kids who pester their parents to buy shit for them.

Do you think Shadow will ever tell Sonic how he feels about him or is he too embarrassed?

>focus on games that appeal to kids and adults

That's what Nintendo does and it fucking works.
A western adult audience isn't going to give a fuck about cartoon hedgehogs. They want gritty dark shooters and super hero bullshit.
An eastern adult audience isn't going to give a fuck about something that isn't little anime girls.

You refuse to accept this because historically, Sonic has always been for children. It's bright and colorful and doesn't have anything dark in it, and the idea that kids wouldn't be interested in such a game is so alien because you've been used to it for so long.

But the fact is that kids are not interested in 3D platformers. They're playing mobile games and Call Of Duty, as well as shovelware tie-in bullshit. Generations would not have sold as much as it did if it hadn't pandered to long-time fans. The opposite is true for Sonic Boom: it wouldn't have failed as hard as it did had it not slapped long-time fans in the face. People don't believe this or accept this, because the mobile market is so new and a lot of us don't pay attention or care about it. But it's very much relevant.

That's exactly my point though. When I say SEGA should be targeting adults, the immediate image that comes to mind for people like is guns and action, and that's a social phenomenon we have got to stop. Adults are interested in interesting and engaging gameplay, and Sonic games have failed to deliver that for years. Instead they focus on mind-numbingly boring bullshit that only children would find entertaining, because a child's perception of quality is much fucking lower.

>They want gritty dark shooters and super hero bullshit.
You realize this hasn't been true for about 5 years, right? Western adult gamers are getting kinda sick of gritty dark shooters and super hero bullshit. Wake up and smell the economic realities of the industry today.

>pandering to nostalgia
and yet this is something sega utterly fails at. every mario game is good with nostalgia mixed in. sonic games are now hit or miss with:
>no unlockable superform ingame
>no emerald special stages
>no shields except standard and electric, if that
>enemies are different every other game

I mean fuck, what mario game doesn't have goombas, koopa troopas, and bob-ombs? What mario game doesn't have mario have his appearance change from a power-up? Nintendo fucking delivers on nostalgia mixed with new stuff. We can barely get 3 good games in a row that are sequels or spinoffs of one set formula

Fuck off with your homoshit fag.

People are saying Sonic's gone too far with nostalgia, but reading your post, I realize they haven't gone far enough

>doesn't have anything dark in it
lel
>People don't believe this or accept this
Because it's wrong, stupid. Kids are glued to phones and tablets because it's an easy way for shitty parents to shut them up and not have to be parents for a while. Kids still and will always love video games, just like they did in previous generations. Sonic not being as successful these days compared to back then can be attributed to many factors, the biggest being that it's not a console mascot anymore. He's not as all over the place as he once was.
Implying kids don't enjoy good gameplay is not only insulting but wrong. If sonic games today captured the same magic as the older ones, it would capture a larger audience overall. You're just as out of touch as suits that think all video games should be simplified to that of mobile games.

The problem with that line of thinking is that adult Sonic fans already care about Sonic, and adult non-fans probably will never care about Sonic, so why bother changing what works? This is also the same fundamental reason why Boom failed, because the west already liked Sonic for what it was, so why bother changing what worked?

K.

These overdesigned OCs need to stop. The most overdesigned thing about a character has to be their shoes or gloves.

Literally just Sonic with new gloves/shoes and some black/light blue paint on his fur.

This. All the shoes and gloves and shit should be as simple as Sonic. In fact, all the designs should be that simple

I like nostalgia when it's done right. Mania is 50/50. And I say that because I wanted completely original zones. No remixed versions if I see green hill zone one more fucking time . That and it reeks of "let the fans do the work since we at sega have no fucking clue what to do".

We postin' OCs now?

Shadow?

>So if we wear one of your pins. Would we be some sort of hidden in group gang of sorts?

We could form a secret gang. That does sound pretty rad.

>How do I contact you about the pins?
It's a print on demand site. I'd upload the design, then when 25 orders are placed the badges would go into production, and they'd all get shipped out to us. If we don't place 25 orders the badges are not made and we don't spend any money and the site doesn't print any badges.

It's literally just a case of 1/4 of the anons here can agree on a badge design we can get some made. Hell I could design 1 badge featuring bump/sage and the /sthg/ logo and we could just make that.

I didn't think of that because I'm retarded.

I actually thought it was Sonic when I posted it.

oh come on. it's even in the filename who the character is. I fapped to his fem-Ibliss

What were you planning to make the badges out of? If not metal, it might be more cost-effective for me to print an initial master out of ABS or PLA, finish it up and then cast it. Certainly easily doable, depending upon the size and level of detail, and it's not too difficult to cast with aluminium powders to give a metallic finish.

>Because it's wrong, stupid.
I have a degree in sales and marketing. My arguments are based on actual trends and data. Yours are just a gut feeling based on what you see.

I'm not saying that kids are not playing Sonic. Some of them definitely are. Just look at the SEGA forums and tumblr. There is a pretty sizable audience of children and teens. But the audience for Sonic is definitely more adults than children, even if it's a small percentage. Because Sonic is not just a long-running franchise, he's also a recognizable retro brand from the 90s.

I'm also not saying that kids don't enjoy good gameplay. They do. But they also enjoy a lot of bullshit. The reason people hate the Werehog in Unleashed, or the platforming in Lost World, is not because it's broken or because it's slow, it's because it's boring and by-the-numbers. It's an objectively worse version of games we've already played. But kids enjoy that, because they have low standards. A 23-year-old like me does not. That's what I'm saying when I say that SEGA has only targeted children up to this point.

Sonic being all over the place isn't going to change things. It's hard to remember probably, but Sonic Boom was fucking huge when it was coming out. The marketing push behind it was everywhere and there was merchandise up the ass. And that did nothing to keep the comic, games and TV show from bombing in sales. The problem is that Sonic has no identity and it's not satisfying the niche that it needs to. The twitch-based rollercoaster gameplay of the Boost games may not be the niche we all want, but it IS a niche, something veteran gamers can associate with Sonic and ONLY Sonic. And that's why they do so well.

>You're just as out of touch as suits that think all video games should be simplified to that of mobile games.
There's something to be said for simplified gameplay. Sonic originally only used one button. If Mania only uses one button, it could hit the casual crowd as well as the hardcore.

I didn't read the filename until I posted it. Also,
>not posting the image

>told you the artist
>the pic has ibliss in the name
>literally within the top 20 results
lazy or retarded, here you go

This with Sally
m.imgur.com/gI140Sq

Man, don't sweat it. Life > random nerds on a Saskatchewan bread kneading forum.

I think I could find more outrage if she didn't post all her shit anyway.

I actually had the page open when I posted that.

Even so, you guys have been good to me. If I can't finish the Bump model, I'd at least like to print some for you lot. Call me a sentimental old fuck, but you lot are a fucking fun bunch to be around and it'd be really nice to be able to give back something to a group that, honestly, feels more like a bunch of friends to me at this point.

Anyways, time to take off the name and go back into lurk mode. I really should make some sort of means for people to get a hold of me if they need to.

>I have a degree in sales and marketing
That makes you being wrong even worse.
>But the audience for Sonic is definitely more adults than children
Because the quality dropped like a rock very soon after his golden age.
>But kids enjoy that, because they have low standards
I'll reference this in a second.
>to keep the comic, games and TV show from bombing in sales
Physical comic sales have been dropping universally.
The games were so awful that even the kids with low standards fucking hated it.
And while you say the TV show bombed, it didn't really. It's fairly popular overall and did great with kids. Too bad CN has a boner for TTG and nothing but TTG.
>There's something to be said for simplified gameplay. Sonic originally only used one button
Simple controls != simple gameplay
How did you graduate with how little you ask the question of "Why"?
If they aim a game at kids and make it good, it'll capture the adults that were kids when Sonic was objectively great. This isn't complex thinking. Sounds like my "gut feeling" is better than your education. I hope I'm not making you feel any regret in doing so.

It's a min order print on demand site called Curiomill. I was initially thinking of soft enamel badges because they're one of the cheapest things they do. The only reason I'm considering using Curiomill is due to the safety system, ie if there's no interest no badges are made. Rather than the next best option being me laying out $270+ for a run of 100 with little to no chance of selling 1/4 of that. I'd rather leave it up to the community to decide if we do it, but I'd be willing to design them and everything.

Looking through the options though, soft enamel, hard enamel, embroidered patches mini toys and two sided coins are all options. I just figured it'd be cool if we had some form of /sthg/ physical thing, like a badge or something so we could be low key autists together. Holy shit I changed my mind I want coins with bump/sage on each side so we can flip a coin for shit.

It's time for a Friday night themed round of: Dubs decide (who dis is)!

Amy

No dubs on Veeky Forums.

>finally get a chance to open the Bump 3d model
>it's half a million polygons
>without the head
jesus. are that many really necessary for a printed model?

>Coins with Bump and Sage
>in /sthg/ we trust
Sign me the fuck up

Rouge

Flatten out the chest and make it Wave

Clove.

Best girl Amy

Sally

Blaze

Fuck, I completely missed the link to this thread.

Madonna

Honey

So how long until you dummies realize there's no dubs here outside of 00

HOW YOUR HEADS LOW

Shadow.

Seeing as how no one's gotten dubs yet, maybe you could try something else?

Vector

youtube.com/watch?v=6tGXLVnILis

How far can you make it?

Can Sonic Lost World have pictures be posted on miiverse?

>coins
YES

We like detailed bumps I guess.

3Dbro here. I worked with subdivision modifiers in blender, if you're using something different

>That makes you being wrong even worse.
Is this bait?
>Because the quality dropped like a rock very soon after his golden age.
Yes.....Your point? That doesn't invalidate what I said.
>Physical comic sales have been dropping universally.
The Boom comic ended after a measly 11 issues. And that's AFTER an attempted boost during the Worlds Unite crossover. That had nothing to do with the recent drop in sales because back in 2014, they were still pretty damn strong. The Boom brand was toxic, and the comic sucked for over half its run.
>The games were so awful that even the kids with low standards fucking hated it.
Had the game not been a glitchy mess, they likely would have. But even if it wasn't a glitchy mess, it's still a rudimentary shovelware platformer.
>It's fairly popular overall and did great with kids.
I've seen no evidence for how well it went over with its target audience. In fact, ratings from early 2015, barely a few weeks into its run, suggest they've been dropping steadily for the last two years.
>Too bad CN has a boner for TTG and nothing but TTG.
True, they haven't treated Boom with a lot of respect for about a year, but prior to late 2015 they hadn't adopted that boner yet. The show simply wasn't pulling numbers anything above decent. We all knew it wasn't going to last more than 2 seasons.
>If they aim a game at kids and make it good, it'll capture the adults that were kids when Sonic was objectively great.
You have a gross understanding of what "aiming for kids" and "aiming for adults" mean. Simply making a great game and ensuring top notch quality is aiming for adults. Aiming for kids is when you have low standards because you know that sales will be strong among the target audience regardless. I don't know why you keep arguing like we have different opinions when we really don't.
>Sounds like my "gut feeling" is better than your education. I hope I'm not making you feel any regret in doing so.
Aside from your douchey elitism at least.

Not gonna get dubs because Veeky Forums but my vote's for Techno the Canary.
Not enough good fan art of her.

Hey/sthg/
My sonic bathbomb came today. It came with a little melon candy too

>No dubs on Veeky Forums.
Shit my bad anons.

New roll: First 7 decides who it is!

also: strawpoll.me/12699888
If we get enough people in for coins I'll do the design, because in /sthg/ we trust is a fucking great idea. Thanks .

Maybe we should save the coins for #1000? I wouldn't mind doing designs for various milestones though. Like a '"I survived the ride" patch or 'Mania Release day' coins or some actually good ideas if anyone is interested.
I did totally want to do a coin for the next big /sthg/ anniversary, what is it though? 5 years anniversary? #1000 thread?

Are you gonna bathe with it?

Alright then! Amy.

Clove

sonic

Well then it should be Clove

>jesus. are that many really necessary for a printed model?
Yes. The higher the polygon count, the smoother the model will be out of the printer. In my (limited) spare time I'm working on some cosplay stuff for myself - I'm currently working on a chest piece that's two million polygons alone. So, again - a higher-resolution model will mean the print comes out more smoothly, especially when I'm printing in the range of six microns or lower per layer. If the model surface isn't smooth, that'll translate to a model with a rougher surface, which means more work post-processing with spot filler. You'll literally be able to see each layer and each polygon.

Pic related is the level of detail I'm used to working in for projects. As said, subsurfs are the way to go. Model in moderate detail, let the modifiers handle the heavy work. The reason the Bump model is proving difficult for me is due to one simple fact (aside from free time being scarce): I fucking suck at modelling organic shapes. Give me a gun, give me a robot, and I'll be able to make it look pretty good. Character models, a little more difficult. I'm learning, but it's slow going.

I love posts like this. Makes it all feel worthwhile. Anyway, best methods I've found is to set up a blog or join a Discord.

Not sure about the motto on the coin, but a coin is a great fucking idea.

Regarding the character, I'd vote Tails because I don't remember when was the last time we got fanart of him here.

Well there you have it.

We shall see

>Aiming for kids is when you have low standards because you know that sales will be strong among the target audience regardless
This is why your education was a waste. Aiming for kids is making a game that is accessible. That's it. That does not mean a game cannot be good as well. Boost is not as accessible as the Genesis or Adventure games considering the reaction times and dexterity required for even just going through certain levels normally. Sonic could still be the legend it was before today if the games had remained accessible and of at least serviceable quality instead of having a losing streak and being locked behind either unintuitive control schemes on the wii or playstyles that kids aren't physically ready for.
If you didn't want hostility from me maybe you should have refrained from dickwaving your "degree" in an attempt to appeal to authority like it means anything other than that you're certified to shill.

>Bump/Sage coins
MAKE
THIS
HAPPEN

I'D PAY FOR IT NOW

>

I really, really wish we could do all of these. I'd buy them all.

Zeena

see

You're a huge nerd, user!

Decided to indulge myself a bit.

Oh, that is fucking great.

I'll cop to that, sure. I'm a sucker for neat trinkets.

I swear that backless dress gets me going like nothing else.

>Aiming for kids is making a game that is accessible. That's it.
No, that's not it. There are a million different factors that go into choosing your target audience. What you're proposing is how you aim at casuals, not children. Making a game accessible is how you get non-gamers and old people, not just children. Children play CS:GO and that's one of the least accessible FPS games out there.
>Boost is not as accessible as the Genesis or Adventure games considering the reaction times and dexterity required for even just going through certain levels normally.
>kids aren't physically ready for.
Oh please. I can understand Unleashed, but Colors and Generations are accessible as fuck. Poor reaction times in Generations are rarely, if ever, punished by death. And you forget the boost is 100% optional. I've never once in my life seen a child that said the boost games were too hard. If anything, I've seen more adults complain the boost games are too hard and their reactions times aren't good enough, because we slow down as we get older.
>If you didn't want hostility from me maybe you should have refrained from dickwaving your "degree" in an attempt to appeal to authority like it means anything other than that you're certified to shill.
Literally the only point I was trying to make was that maybe you should have a bit of nuance and consider that I might know what I'm talking about instead of acting like the stubborn mule from Family Guy.
youtu.be/3yX_1gJ_51M
How many both educated AND non-educated individuals have to echo the exact same shit I'm saying before you finally cave in?

Double 7s confirmed. Clove it is!

I'm getting creeped out by all these 7s.
But yeah the way it works is if I design a coin and we all agree, I'll upload it to the print place and if we can get 25 orders they'll make the coins. I'll set them to the lowest price and they'll ship from the US so all you guys in america will get the best deal I think. I don't make any money so I'm not trying to scam anyone, I'll be ordering one just like you guys (except shipping to canada is probably stupid, but w/e it'll be awesome as fuck to get a coin.)

requests? A warning, probably won't be as clean as this one depending on how many requests I get.