Porsche Boxsters

What does Veeky Forums have to say about those cheap Porsche Boxsters from the early 2000's?

I got a nice summer job and want to replace my beater with something fun and foreign. Miatas are too girly, but I want a small roadster. If I buy a Boxster, will I end up paying something like double the price in maintenance? How many miles should is too many? Is the S model worth it? Any particular years? I want to daily drive the car.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sm1G_J73zjo
youtube.com/watch?v=ObgB5pAh1FU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's a couple of 986 owners in here, ask quickly before the thread hits bump limit.

bruh, a boxster is 10x gayer than a miata. who you trying to fool

>Is the S model worth it?

Get an S or ride the fucking bus.

>miatas are too girly
>should i get a boxster?
Literally Who?

don't get me wrong op, I like porsches.
But ffs use the catalog, this is the 4th porsche thread and the second boxster thread running right now.

The other Boxster thread is shitposting

Would rather get a 944 turbo or 928 unless if you really want a convertible for whatever reason. I'm which case get a s2k

S2000s are twice the price of a non-S 986, and about on par with an S.

Well op was considering the S so thats why I suggested it

986s are better daily drivers than S2000s

sounds like a ZZW30 MR2 Spyder is what you need.
It's midengine like a boxster, reliable like the Miata (avoid the prefacelift ones with the precats or just gut those immediately), cheaper than the boxster, not as girly as the Miata but pictures do make them look goofy at times (looks better in person), and is as easy as any other Toyota.

it's admittedly not the best on storage but you could be pretty clever with it and take it grocery shopping still. If a tiny convertible is gonna be your only car then idk what to tell you man. This is the perfect sidekick to any commuter/passenger car

>miatas too girly

sounds like you're the only fag here user

mr2's snap oversteer

boxsters don't

Mrs are just as gay as miatas

You can luggage for 2 people for a weekend get away in a Boxster. Meanwhile I could barely fit my backpack and a friend in an MRS

youtube.com/watch?v=sm1G_J73zjo
mr2s snap oversteer
porsches snap oversteer
the thing is you are too gay to drive either of them

cars don't snap oversteer
drivers snap oversteer

That's not snap oversteer, that's a spec Boxster on racing slicks hydroplaning on a damp track

>that
>damp in the UK
thats the average track day conditions at their best

>racing slicks

>boxster on the best possible compounds for the situation still suffers from handling quirks
so we are in agreement that the mr2 is the same shit but cheaper

>racing slicks go to shit once things get even a little damp, there's a reason why regular consumer tires all have channels in them to get rid of water

I sincerely hope you're only pretending to be stupid

I loved my first one before some dumb blonde took it out, loving my S

You can put the 911 intake setup and a 987 cayman exhaust and engine cover on it, throw a tune in there, and be making 320 horseponies

Pffffft, a 2.7 with an audi 5 speed will actually slightly outrun an S

Oh, also daily my S, even in winter. No traction control, but with winter tires on can drive on solid ice out in the boonies where I live.

Get a Pontiac solstice or Saturn sky

You and Linda from accounting can chat at the watercooler about how fun your cars are. So that's nice.

fuck you.

And you can shitpost on the bus. That's so nice!

I know, it hurt me too when I compared my S to my friends base.

It's also a bolt in affair once you swap axle flanges, and also you can make like 500 after buying the trans by selling the Porsche one

Yeah I a heard of a lot of auto cross guys swapping their 6 speeds for 5 speeds because of closer ratios

It can you get an aftermarket LSD for the 5 speed? That would be more useful in a track

they both have short ratios, you're crazy.

if anything the only real pro for the 5 speed is that it doesnt suffer from second gear syncro problems.

Excuse me while i enjoy my low rpm in 6th at highway speed

Short ratios, sure. But the 2.5/audi trans has shorter gears, and I feel that over here in non-autobahn land that the extra acceleration helps more in a daily commute than the taller gearing of the 2.7 trans

Also, I hate the fact that 5th gear is just splitting 4th and 6th, feels useless to me. :/

And 6th is still too short, sub 2k rpm pls.

Quaife makes a LSD, its like a grand converted from eurobucks

Kenchi Tsuchya disagrees with you.
youtube.com/watch?v=ObgB5pAh1FU

>What does Veeky Forums have to say about those cheap Porsche Boxsters from the early 2000's?
I drive a '99 2.5l

A lot of people don't know they're cheap. I've had people roll up beside me at red lights and ask what year it was. My boss asked one of my coworkers if I was rich because I drove a Porsche.

>will I end up paying something like double the price in maintenance?
Nah.
>How many miles should is too many?
If it's well maintained it could outlast you. I bought mine at 200k kms.
>Is the S model worth it?
Nope.
>Any particular years?
The newer the better.
>I want to daily drive the car.
Go for it, son.

Yeah, my first '01 base was my first dealer bought car, and I needed something reliable because my Fiero had once again betrayed me and my 240z is in various states of project car.

I chose the box after research and investigations. Parts are just as cheap as other modern stuff on rockauto, apparently they're fairly reliable other than the IMS which was solvable anyway, and did hella great in winter which is a must for Ohio

If you're dead set on a sports car, a Boxster is a great way to go

How much does it cost to get the oil and transmission fluid change?

If you do it yourself you'll still end up spending over $100 because these cars need like 8 litres if oil, longer oil change intervals though

So basic maintenance is costly? Around how much should I be saving up for the routine maintenance?

Costs as much as any other sports car to maintain really, nothing out of the ordinary

I'd say $1000 a year is enough but I'd put aside $1500 just to be safe, usually most of the cost with these cars is labour

I don't know about the Tip trans costs, manual needs changed every 90k

It takes 9-10 quarts of oil, full synthetic preferably but it's your car, do w/e

Oil change interval is 15k, filter is technically 30k, but fuck that it's ten bucks from rock auto just do it at 15

So like 50-75 bucks if you shop around for the good oil when it's on sale

500-800 for tires, I run Yokohama S-Drives. A little noisy, but have been great for the past 20k miles, which I'm surprised I've gotten out of them with how hard I run them every day.

It really isn't that expensive to maintain and replace parts on a 986, desu

Its not bad.
I considered it but MRS is way more bomb-proof and reliable and you're paying corolla prices for parts instead of porsche ones.
On track MRS can compete with boxters and even 9/11's (latter requires an enigne swap unless 911 driver is bad)

Besides you'll have the magic of driving a mid engined corolla that weighs nothing and uses no fuel.
Boxter is still a damn great choice.

I don't even have a boxter but I had girls at work parking lot gather around my car and take photos of it.
If you don't like "girly" cars and want some agressive angular car then you are literally aspiring to be the biggest dicksucking flamboyant boitoy in the world.
Girly cars attract girls. Manly cars attract men.

Money attracts women

t. kissless handholdless virgin

Women are attracted to a man that can take care of her potential tail children. In the past it was strength to hunt and find food, now days it's money it buy food, shelter, and secure their financial futures

Some of us don't have friends, so we don't have that problem.

More room for other things then

This seems sketchy. Shouldn't the weight be in front of the trailer axle?

Yes

Parts still aren't expensive. 150-500 for rotors all around, depending on how fancy you want to go. Typical raybestos are doing me just fine for DD application.

Pads are cheap. Can get an entire headlight assembly for 250-300 bucks, xenon assembly for 500 (just had to buy one due to deer)

Fender is 150-300, hood is same

Electronics aren't too bad last I checked

Electronics are pretty basic, most of that stuff is VW shit

Bump

shit personnality is a nice women repellent tho

i'm pennyless and women are still attracted to my cute rusted out girly beetle, loser

>women are still attracted to my cute rusted out girly beetle, loser
Yeah but not you