/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12703949
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for stag.

requesting Amy make a new .deb file for a fan of her game since he's a pleb who can't compile shit correctly.

favorite youtube players?

so far mine are theuberhunter and Non Read

Is MuMo possible or is it just a dumb challenge people take for the fun of it? I'm new so it's hard for me to really tell if crawl is balanced to the point something like that is possible.

>finally get a run that doesn't crash mid-shot
>or while walking around
>reach floor 15 where a bunch of loreboxs are
>try to pick one up
>suddenly get 3 paragraphs about how you're literally a god and you (or someone like you) set up the opening paragraphs from the game: you win
>try to screencap it but ctrl+prt sc refuses to work while the CS window is in the foreground
>minimize windows until I'm on the desktop screen and can screencap that with CS in the background
>by the time that's done the screen has gone white and CS has started to draw ungodly amounts of resources
>have to close the screen, sans submission of score
:(
It's sad when crashes have ended more games than the difficulty in a "roguelike"

DemiseAU

why didn't you take a picture of the screen with your phone or somethin?

I foolishly believed that the dev released a game stable enough to win and didn't think it necessary.

Is QUD worth buying?

If you ever listen to his videos about attitude they are surprisingly good

no no i'm not criticizing you, i understand the frustration.
caves of qud? yeah. it's a fallout 2 roguelike basically.

Rogueliker

It's possible (some guy won it on his 10th try), but yes, it's hard as shit. Arguably, though, it's just RNG bullshit, and thus not interesting to 97% of Crawlers.

Crawl could stand to be more difficult, but MuMo-ing it is not the way. Or, if not outright difficult, make the early game a little bit easier (so that floor-clearing isn't optimal pre-Lair) and make the extended game harder yet more interesting (so it doesn't feel so samey).

No, the free download is effectively the same thing as the paid version. The devs release "updates" every Friday but it's basically nothing. I've played what is now about an 8-month-old release, and I read the changelogs about 6 months ago, and there is no real gameplay difference.

get gud

EVENTUALLY dismiss the CHALLENGE as RNG HORSESHIT instead of GETTING GOOD.

The melee skill trees have been completely hacked out and replaced recently. There's a shitload of mild-to-moderately interesting stuff added, and it's way less buggy. it's basically al polish though, the core is the same.

Play the free version, if you want the same game but with some of the edges smoothed(literally in some cases) buy it.

I think DCSS needs more streamlining and removing bloat.

I suggest that all races besides Hill Orc and Mummy and all gods besides Beogh get removed, because the other races are rarely played and it would be too much work to balance them. The time saved could be put in more projects to diversify the uniques even further

When will we get our first transsexual unique, its insane to think that in a world with so many different species there wouldnt be a single transsexual in the dungeon

I want a story mode to motivate me to play the game and then a cinematic mode so I can just experience the story.

Remove everything but Minotaur, Trog, and generic food. Everything else is bloat.

Minotaur, Gargoyle, Deep Elf, Spriggan
All you need

>Remove unique play options to make space for unique play options.

Minotaur is warrior, Deep Elf is magic and Spriggan is stealth and fast.
What's the point of gargoyle?

easy mode

>implying there is any intention for races to be balanced in the first place
the fact that Mi and Mu exist simultaneously should make it obvious

remove minotaur because you have to manage berserk on zot and that's bloat

leave just spen, you only need z and dot, if anything resists ensorcelled hibernation just walk away

Minotaur is easier

Do passive abilities count for the purpose of reducing Cold's cooldown? Specifically Arctic Veil.

Not for 15

Walking away is bloat.

15 is bloat and also that's not true

(You) = dumb

>free rTorment
>not making 15runes a cakewalk

Gnolls are probably the worst species ever

>free nohp
>not making hellfire terrifying
garg is good but not ludicrously OP

no joke, I think the devs legit think this. New content seems mostly to be streamlining standard stuff in a 3 rune run, cutting down the amount of levels, cutting down XP needed and releasing shitty races and gods that do jack shit beyond 3 runes

Hellfire can easily be evaded by simply keeping a small shitter next to you so that the AI doesnt use hellfire
Cant do the same with torment

>implying damnation ever matters

what is regeneration

The only "recent" god that doesnt do anything in extended is qaz

not trying to kneejerk defend qaz, but he brings about the same amount of trouble in both extended and non extended. I will say that disaster area is fantastic for doing zigs and clearing out crap like the Hellion island. However, Wu Jian is very clearly a 3 rune god. The new dog race is basically spread your skills for an ezp 3 runer.

How do I make other windows display information in PCB? Was suggested to have a separate window displaying the monster list which I know how to bring up but don't know how to make it appear in that window.

Wild Talent Beastman time.

Need more charisma.

Options ("=" is the default, iirc), then window flags.

based

Rogueliker

are you real
yes it's possible

Literally smacked me so hard I flew through another zombie and killed it.

try it dude
half the builds in the game have never been tried

I haven't posted a video in like a year dude.

no

Is Skillmaster's "good luck" ability worthwhile/does it stack with the Lucky Trait?

Like I said, I don't know much about Crawl or RLs in general since I just got into them. The challenge sounds unreal when you're someone who can barely make it to Lair.

It does not stack with the Lucky personality, the White Aura mutation, or the Rune-knight's Luck rune.

All 3 give the same, non-stacking benefit to loot quality.

It's the exact same thing as the lucky trait.

Gnolls seem to be pretty easy in early, extremely loot dependant in mid-late and easy again towards extended.

You can look up Implojin's MuMo run on youtube for extreme tactics. And you can download all of the pharaohs' ttyrecs along with a ttyrec player to see their runs in a console

Lucky personality also has other shit though like +7 to device skill, which is tied for the biggest boost from any personality (and equivalent to +14 int for device failrates)

I assumed by "Lucky Trait" he meant "White Aura", which is what all of these effects duplicate.

OH YEAH FREE REPROBUS TIME!

What unique is the worst in PCB ( outside of obvious Morgoth/Unicorn/Serpent )?

strawpoll.me/12703949

well do some more

it's funny cuz it's true
reprob is hardest link

>not getting memestag AND memegoddess

Tik's is "what if Nodens was invisible to telepathy lmao"

some spellcaster shit specifically.
i like uberhuntrr and he hasn't done shit in like three.

What's the chaos mage whose name starts with H and likes to cast Mana storm? He always seems to show up way before I'm ready for him.

Tik casts 50% and doesn't have mana storm.

He does have breathe disintegration, which couples worse with the summons.

Habu?

Habu is one of those guys like Jack and Gachapin who just have way more damage than they should for their level

I don't know the bottom three, but nodens is clearly the most dangerous of the rest.

I guess gothmog is second since having his horde summoned on you pretty much petrifies you with fear instantly.

Oops, it seems that I forgot to detect that pit of 'u's.

Nikheizen needs to update his bestiary page just so we can while about the 6.0 new uniques.

This. Make a Hunter STAG and a Well-Fed Artemis

Yeah Habu. Fuck that guy.

Wish I was a naga....

The Amy doesn't have a unix system though, and even if she did, version updates are being done so often... Why don't you play on the server, anyway? That one is always up to date and a lot of fun to play, and you don't need to compile anything! We also have an IRC channel on Freenode, and you can play Grunthack and Sporkhack as well!

>scarf of resistance

who gives a shit about the scales

>The Amy doesn't have a unix system
fucking dropped

pleb. Just connect to em.slashem.me over SSH and play, even you should be able to get that to work. And while you're at it, also join #em.slashem.me on Freenode.

>losing 4-5 ac for marginal resistances
nty

>get to use whatever rings you want

5ac rings are more rare than multi resist rings

>rF+ on a MuMo
>marginal

If I'm playing a skillmaster with Kendo skills do I need to max Kendo? None of my samurai skills seem to have fail rates so far so I'm not sure what the point of putting more points into it is.

i'm sorry Amy, but that's just not good enough. I'll just use the crummy outdated .deb you have on your wiki site after taking ten hours of my day to try to compile the source code. I'm not always online like xbone users.

I'm also sorry, a .deb made on lubuntu might not work on some other lunix system anyway. Heck, if you join our channel, some of the other people around there will probably be able to help you getting it to compile!

the deb file on there deffo works, but i can try getting on.

>using RUN scales on naga
user.. Chei wouldnt be happy about that

Chei actually doesnt mind running boots

None of them have failrates so you won't decrease those of course, but putting more skill points in a realm still decreases sp costs and level requirements.

Having only 1 point in a realm means the sp costs are 200% of normal and the level requirements are 167% of normal, and of course anything that has its min level increased above 50 becomes completely uncastable.

jewish lies

Ah ok, I've got 3 points in it that should be enough I think. Would it be viable to mix craft magic with Kendo and use the concentration power to maintain manabranding and other buffs?

Craft magic IS really nice on skillmaster, but note that mana branding is a level 50 spell so you need to invest the full 5 points to be able to cast it.

Why did I invent those traps? I must be crazy...

Patches accepted!

Any tips for Hellband? I kinda suck at *bands in general, but this one is fun. I'm playing 0.81 because I fucking hate how you can't really resize the windows in the most recent update.

uh, don't try to make anything other than statpotions through alchemy or you might take 20,000 damage and instadie

Oh. Someone literally posted a patch today.

oh yeah and secret hellband hidden information: spells take less time to cast the more you beat their minimum level by, down to a minimum of 1/10th of a turn when you are 18 levels above their casting requirement.
(also works for mindcrafter powers)

So other than the whole carpal tunnel thing magic missile will be literally the best spell you have for a long-ass time.