/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Time Machine edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date and pointless):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12743
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158991.0
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macros_and_Keymaps#Creating_macros
youtube.com/watch?v=vkj7i9RNlhg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

NIGGERS TRANNIES AND JEWS

Those are some insensitive slurs you're using.

I find them very problematic, and advise you to delete your post immediately.

No

>next update allows you to send dwarfs offsite to do shit
>have been able to do this for months already in rimworld

Will DF ever catch up?

Most likely not

I claim this general in the name of Master Necromancer Neil Shamebone advertisements

Best demon.

So does adamantine clothing give good protection?

Not armor, just clothing made from adamantine thread.

how will we dwarf fortress players ever recover?

By playing Rimworld

Based Finfly.

haha no thanks I'm too cool B)

>Grand master biter

How sophisticated can biting be really?

I wonder how the fight was

Maybe Ngom just caved his head in with a punch

Also

>Goal: Rule the World

No.

>paper maker
huh?

It wasn't a fight. It was a murder. Neither of their combat skills or their attributes were a factor at all.

Makes paper.

Anyone else having problems with citizens not claiming and sleeping in rooms?
I've got a dozen mercenaries that applied and joined my fortress, but they never claim empty room.
And when I go to manually assign them it shows it like they already have a room even though they dont (brown name instead of green).
So they end up sleeping on the barracks/inn floor all the time.

Good old uncle Finfly, murdering demons so the rest of us don't have to :)

I haven't been to /dfg/ in 2.5 years. When did our OP stop being a timeline of changes across version history?

Which anime could this be

I dunno, but also I just read the OP and when did the TheRapist become out of date? Christ, I go away for a few years and everything goes to shit.

I just want to play some dorfs, man.

It's on beta in the beta version of the starter pack if you want it.

40.04 introduced 64 bit and it broke a lot of mods

But seriously I want to know which anime is the one of your first post

Stop bitching and start playing.
If you dont have two brain cells to rub together to grab fresh vanilla of DF and up to date Therapist-beta from the thread, just get starter pack.
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12743

If it was ever that it was way longer than 2.5 years ago. You're probably thinking of an image that gets periodically updated with new stuff and major changes, but it's never been the standard OP image. Come to think of it, I can't recall having ever seen it as the OP image at all.

Your whining really ticks me off.

Just like in 2013, you just need the vanilla game to start playing.

Everything else is just a bonus.

>40.04
You're off by a couple of years worth of updates, user.

I mean, 43.04

My dwarves refuse to eat prepared meals, what the hell?
They are all bitching about bad food and stuffing their faces with raw meet and plump helmets while there's 2000 stacks of different roasts laying around.
What gives?

Not that guy but I've seen it posted as the OP atleast once, if not twice.

Yeah, everything's shit here. You'd better leave so you don't have to deal with it anymore.

or you could stop being a little bitch

Guess I'm not the only one with this problem.
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158991.0
>unfocused after a lack of decent meals for a long time
Yet always choosing to eat shit while ignoring pots full of masterfully prepared meals.
Thanks a lot you stupid fucking dwarfs.

When did the manager screen get updated?

It got a lot of nice utility to it even if I am figuring out how to use it all.

Unrelated but are there any external utilities to mass designate stuff. I'm not feeling autistic enough to dig 50+ rooms and fill them all in with stuff.

Tell me about boats and magic

Whats so great about it?

I dunno, but a superficial Google reverse-image search turned up the title "Bloodivore" and Yandex gave me nothing, so I guess start there.

Shit, if we've got working Therapist-beta, then it's all good. I just read the OP ("Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date and pointless)) and panicked like a dumb bitch.

It was this vertically-aligned timeline sort of thing that was always either the OP image or one of the first images posted in the thread. Wish I had an example of one of them on my HD to post.

I need my bonuses, senpai. Intuitive controls and easy-to-understand shortcuts have ruined me as a human being and now I'm physically dependent.

I'll admit, I've become a bitch. I'll get back to you after about 4 hours of vanilla DF and probably the bitchiness will have been hammered out of me, so wish me luck.

>Tell me about boats and economy
ftfy

Fortress economy back when? I've been waiting for almost 10 years now ;_;

>autistic enough to dig 50+ rooms and fill them all in with stuff

Good luck son. May you find peace in the slaughter of many long-ears.

>demands

ctrl + r , ctrl + p
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macros_and_Keymaps#Creating_macros
Learn to use this, lets you mass design 100s of rooms in minutes.
dfhack -> planing mode while constructing furniture

You can furniture entire room, move cursor to next empty room, finish recording, then just smack ctrl + p to keep pasting till every room is furnitured, easy as fuck.

It doesn't matter if they eat prepared meals or not. Every dwarf has a food preference, and the "decent meals" need will only be satisfied by eating it. Dwarves used to purposefully seek out preferred foods and drinks if they were available, but as far as I can tell they don't anymore. You just have to get lucky and have the right food available and have the dwarf happen to grab it.

So if I understand the wiki correct, corpses will turn into skeletons and never disappear.

Only way is to atom smash or throw in lava to get rid of them?

My refuse stockpile is getting mighty big after several sieges

>that was always either the OP image or one of the first images posted in the thread
We're talking about the same image. It still gets posted all the time. You're just misremembering its prominence in the thread.

Marble or granite?

Dwarf walks past shitton of prepared meals to grab a piece of raw uncooked wombat meat.
Check his preferences, he doesnt prefer it at all.

Only solution I got right now is to cook ALL the food I have, and stop producing/buying food for a while.
Those fuckers can starve for all I care if they dont want to eat masterfully prepared meals.

Just found my first vampire. What do I do with this fucker?

Seal him into a room with important levers which must be activated on a moment's notice and then make him your mayor.

NEW UPDATE! WE CAN SAVE KIDNAPPED KIDS MWAHAHAHAHA!

>We rescued our first child! The seven dwarves are now caring for Obol, a four year old human they found in the goblin pits. An impressionable child, she inherited the goblin ethics of valuing power over others and her personal dream is to take over the world. I'm sure it'll be fine.

>I'm balancing out abstract equipment strength numbers and working more with the post-worldgen raid/battle code, since it wasn't really geared toward smaller numbers of well-equipped player dwarves fighting at sites. That'll merge in with the reports they give when they return, which is the next project.

is that Barefoot Gen

Yep

Can eggs hatch after the parent has died?
My poultry died of old age, and even though I put new poultry in the room, nothing seems to be happening to the eggs.

> corpses will turn into skeletons and never disappear.
when underground.
refuse stockpiles themselves are special in that they automatically add wear to items which are placed in them (no matter what item!) however, this process is insanely slow to something like bones or corpses or cloth or leather, and will take like 2+ years or more.

in order to speed up the process, you have to expose the refuse pile to "Outside" which is easy to do by just digging a STRAIGHT VERTICAL stairwell upwards to the surface, and then removing the staircases (one by one!) by channeling back downwards.
you now have a single tile of "outside" available, which means you can quantum stockpile your skeletal corpses into that space.

>Boogeyman kills me

youtube.com/watch?v=vkj7i9RNlhg

One of my Dwarves got bitten by a weresloth.

I panicked and locked him up in the archery practice room, what are the chances he is infected? Should i just let him starve there just to make sure he doesnt fuck my fortres?

>Still believing in boogeymen

quantum stockpiles are also piss-easy to do:

1. make a 4-tile stockpile set with the items you want. square, line, whatever; just make sure there's at least four tiles
2. assign 3 wheelbarrows to the stockpile so only 3 dwarves will work hauling at once if the item is heavy like stone (or massively sized dead bodies)
3. construct a track stop some place directly adjacent to that stockpile. (b-C-S) and then have it 'd'ump onto an open space to the north, south, east, or west. DON'T dump it back into the original stockpile; doing that causes an infinite hauling loop that dwarves can never resolve and will be stuck hauling forever!
4. put a new route (h-r) directly on top of the track stop and assign a minecart (v) to it. assign a new 's'top to the route, 'enter' to define the stop, and then delete (x) every setting there.
5. 'enter' to designate the same items you setup in step 1.
6. set a new 's'tockpile link, move the cursor over the stockpile you setup in step 1, and then hit 'p'
7. the most important step here is to setup a duplicate stockpile on the tile where the minecart will dump the items to, which has all the same settings as the first step. this is the quantum stockpile

be aware that only a number of dwarves equal to the number of wheelbarrows can actually haul to the qsp at a time. if you need more dwarves hauling, setup more step 1 stockpiles and assign more step 6 stockpile links.

Does charging them over and over work anymore? Or grabbing them so they can't dodge away?

not disabling them in advanced world genning

When will we finally get lance n barded hogs

I want my noble Dwarven knights to lance down goblin rabble while the hog mount spears them on its tusk and gnaws their arms off

question if I manged to scruge up some stolen weapons from raiding a dark fortress and dropped em off at my fortress will the dwarfs pick them up & use em?

I noticed they can't really make two-handed swords or bowswhips

i want put benis in toady butt ;))

shut fuck up no >:(

>user, I'm sorry that I can't be a real girl X(
>b-but, I promise that I'll try as hard as I can, for you >:)
>I can take any pain if it's for you, user :))
>I-I hope I can feel like a real girl (*^o^*)

delete this right now or i'll curse you

*sees bulge*
OwO wats dis nya?
*begins to nuzzle ur crotch*

>reclaim worldgen fort
>start sending a sacrifice down to scout it out
>get to the bottom
>the whole fucking fort is inside the magma sea completely flooded

what the fuck do I do
can you even drain this shit?

You've been cursed to forever be haunted by a mild feeling of inadequacy in every endeavor you try henceforth. You might succeed often and brilliantly, but none of your projects shall ever bring you full satisfaction, as there will always be a niggling doubt that you could have done things better, if you had just tried a little harder.

I've always wanted to meet the toad in person. I've never seen weaponized autism up close without looking in the mirror.

How is Tarn weaponised autism? He's usinghis "gift" to make a cool game is all.

Only the faithful and and strongest believer will ever be graced by the presences of the Toady

Even so it might require a hefty donation and some flattering word

Quick Elf's have come to trade your metals for Exotic animal-men like Moth's

Yes or No!

>not staying out of the night long enough to level up and hunt bogeymen to extinction

If it broke the skin, I am 95% certain that he is infected. Wait awhile and see if he changes, and with werebeasts it's always better safe than sorry.

disassemble the depot with the elf things in there
???
profit

>not getting bored of the hundredth time doing this and deleting them from the raws with gm-editor because you didn't know companions stopped them

Show em the logs

>Dwarves keep randomly dying
>See this

What the fuck is going on.

not being so easily amused that literally anything brings you pleasure
normies please go

vampire

Ah yes, """"rescue""""

syndrome?

>normies
Hah!

>knock knock
>who's there?
>Roc

"What are we doing tonight Finfly?"
"same thing we do every night."

>early in a fortress
>boring fort so far, generic location, no gimmick
>don't wanna just abandon, and had another idea for a fortress in a glacier
>decide to dig to hell to kill everyone
>find adamantine spire, dig through
>horrifying screams!
>fort quickly slaughtered
>decide to check out what happens to hell fortresses in adventure mode
>fast traveling
>all the sites and towns around the fort are surrounded and full of the 'traveling' * things

Did... did I fuck up my world?

well, you opened a hole from hell, I think demons would love to do things on the surface, since they're locked on hell all the time

user that's not a cat

Great, now your adventurer has a goal: end the demon invasion.

>sumfin... strange 'bout that thar "cat" if'n ya asks me
The *'s could be demons or it could be the "cavern critters vomited up to the surface" bug.

Help, my hens and peacocks won't claim their nestboxes. Well actually, the first time they did and I got some eggs, but now it's saying I need 12 additional nest boxes. I have 12 birds and 24 nestboxes.

Thanks fellas

part two the Dwarf samurai.

Pssst.......can you draw me an elf woodqistion

Fuck deadly blood FBs

Fuck trees helping the goblin horde

Yessssss...... but after thissss one: