/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

Previous thread: >Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh (embed)

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba (embed)

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683145075
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hold up, event continues.

Both Sanctum and Earth spaceports are the same and both planets have rally points ( Sanctum is in the middle between two hostile empires so its that kind of armed to the teeth system ).

It only sometimes continues.

Would the Combine be a technocracy or just ultra-authoritarian slaving despots? Yes, I know their real name is Universal Union.

Militarists in me says - kill them all.

Fanatic materialist says - oh goodie

Didn't they make it so he ended up inadvertently saving the rebellion because his conscious stopped him pushing the button just long enough for the station to be destroyed.

I accepted and nothing happened. Ship was destroyed by an unrelated research project though.

Ever watch Event Horizon?

Purge it.

In the previous one it didn't do anything. You just learned of inter-dimensional empires with massive fleets of ghost ships. You get a ghost ship. That's all.

I took it but its a normal science ship :(

What would be the name of the combine homeworld?

It's not really inadvertently, he becomes reluctant to push the button after the Rebels drop a Lucrehulk (I think?) close to the near finished Death Star and he vaporizes the ship in one shot at 5% power.

Earth.
Their other planets are in other dimensions, obviously.

They probably minet it out with core and everything and then forgot they ever had one

>Earth.
That wouldn't make sense
Specially considering they get cucked out of Earth.

So basically this article is about you then?

Shouldn't all stars produce a bit of energy? Surely a decent power station could generate shitloads of power from orbiting any star.

Oh yeah, ditch police state for syncretic evolution, use the Sol system and edit the second alien race to be humans, enslave them.

Let's just pretend Freeman doesn't exist.

Combine Overworld or Overworld 1. Aleph Star.

In the original script, Gordon an Alyx were to be sent to the Aleph universe.

Tell me people
Did someone created a trove for the DLC/expansion?

Reposting in new thread, this should be the final version

I'd still say thats inadvertently, he didn't mean to doom the Death Star and save the rebellion and he still pressed the button in the end.

Best number of planets for tall? Should I just hit my planet cap and stop? Tried to make a "tall" human civ to rush techs and wonders, but then I realized I was next to an entire free galaxy arm and spammed colonies.

Fuck, I hate this game. The only winning move is still to blob apparently.

Worth making a federation with a reawakened fallen empire to stop the unbidden? Or just say fuck it and wait it out? Also the unbidden are working their way to me, so don't have that much time.

Would the Combine be Natural Sociologists (genetics) instead of industrious?

The only winning move is not the play

>find last cybrex anomaly
>fails

I really dont think they have some sort of "Imperial authority" in the form of a hereditary monarchy lol.

They are indeed materialist but in the end it all comes to control so I think fanatic authoritarian is more fitting.

>not selecting one of the comet flag symbols

MTTH for new ones to spawn is just 10 years

There's no reason to not take territory if its available, regardless of game. Tall shouldn't ever be your first option.

If you max out too soon you will probably be wishing you expanded more.

>invited an awakened empire into the federation after knocking out the fallen empire that was the completely opposite ethos
>first action it did was spark a galactic war against the boi next door
>everyone else voted yes
when did you realize that you had become a buffer state

Wait you can fail those? Jesus.

>get last cybrex artefact
>cybrex alpha spawns in neighbouring empire
>they get there first and steal the anomalies
Fuck this bullshit, why haven't they fixed it

Why dont people play on a fricking huge eliptic map?

Precursor quests suck anyway. They should give you Fallen Empire-level reward. Instead, they are just vanilla empires from thousands/millions of years ago. No

As it seems I checked the wrong thread (because I thought Stellaris is a grand strategy game), what is the best option to start getting a gripe on the game? United Nations of Earth?

Apparantly the new Cybrex chain gives you a massive lump of Unity at the end.

cybrex is the only one of value

>Have giant ass fleet
>Can't tell my invasion force to follow because they jump to where I'm going before I do
>Can't jump ahead of them because as soon as I leave the AI throws a gank squad into the system to get them
>Just have to keep reloading saves until eventually I manage to cheese my way into having both fleets in the same system

They really need to fix this

Is there anything more to the psionic ascension path? In early game it's pretty OP (shields, avatars etc), but after that it's basically just a temporary buff which you may or may not get.

Yeah, I managed to take 3 traditions and a half. Trying xenophobe/pacifist/materialist with inwards perfection and agrarian idyll. It's stupid. It's 2244 and I could have 3 ascension perks already if I hadn't taken supremacy, harmony, and mind and body.

I think the precursor quest should be related to the Fallen Empires on the map. Give them some generic backstory to each kind. Also, it should piss them off, if you do certain things with their tech.

Because elliptic is shit

>More stars

>most powerful entity in the galaxy
>have had all techs for 100 years, and all traditions for 200 years
>just went through a large war but everyone worth fighting is so big that it takes ages of tedium and babysitting just to occupy enough worlds (and let the war duration thing tick down) in order to claim what I need
>genetic ascendancy
Is there ANYTHING left to do besides fucking kill myself? Should I just abandon this game?

>genemod one portion of your population to be inheritors
>genocide the rest, clearing off their planets
It depends on how the "exile" group is generated, but I think this is a good escape strategy.

Definitely seems more interesting than "we're winning a bit harder now" of other choices.

I'm pretty sure if you vassalise everyone you can still get a victory.

The auto-migration from every world when you colonise is really annoying.

So unbidden just appeared and after scanning some of their debris and getting antimatter guns and jumpdrive I'm kicking their asses pretty easy. Is this all? No more end game crisises?
Where to view win conditions? Conquering whole galaxy is gonna be boring and time-consuming.

Also, is there any bonuses to founder of federation, or all members are equal and there is no point in founding your own over joining existent one?

>have big dick empire with several vassals
>allied with another big dick empire with several vassals
>Go to war with other big dick empire that has several vassals
>Expect a huge fucking galactic war
>EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of my vassals and allies just have their fleet sitting on their home world while I do all the fucking work

I'm beginning to see why the purge play style is so popular

Particularly when you colonize a world that's suitable for one of your species and a billion pops with a completely different preference migrate there. Why are my arctic shellfish migrating to a desert world.

The big three non-me empires will have to be cut down a bunch more before I can do that.

>tfw my vassal helps me every time
>shows up at the planet I'm bombarding and chips in
>actually lands his troops before I do so they're the first wave on the ground

Winning conditions were a mistake. Situation log (F3) Victory conditions.

Sounds like he's stealing all the honour and glory from you.

Is it better to purge the alien or to enslave it?

There is the button in the upper line when you select a fleet, "take point", makes your allies follow your fleet (sometimes).

Enslave or integrate. Pops are resources themselves.

>defensive pact with two people
>get pulled into two wars
>we're the attackers
wtf

More like dying for space Israel

But what about muh roleplay

While I'm not a big fan of the Unbidden, I can't deny that they're pretty effective against AI empires and do a good job of messing shit up.

They wiped out six or seven civilizations, including a Fallen Empire, before I took them out.

I've never read anywhere that changing the galaxy type changes the number of stars, are you sure that isn't just something you assumed?

>what is WW1
>what is WW2

Trouble is, the timescales don't quite match. FEs are a few thousand years ahead of you, or researched all the tech then laid about and jerked off. The precursors predate you by hundreds of thousands, millions of years.

But then B5 made similar mistakes, and said the Sun would go nova in a million years.

Come to think of it, B5 migh have been in a Stellaris size galaxy, rather than one like a real one. Would explain how a handful of empires could talk of dividing it between one another.
A decent Centauri mod when?

any way to change the max # of empires in a game? I want a tiny galaxy with a bunch of people so it's actually crowded.

Would it be China or NKorea? How strong is it?

eat them

I would make trade deals with those.

Both are really authoritarian so neither really counts.

Closest comparison is Switzerland, though their motivation is cowardice and greed; what's your species?

It's okay.
Unity isn't as good as everything else you sacrifice with that build.

tall in stellaris is for turtles who don't know how to play the game properly. expand.

Why the pacifistic trait if you're xenophobe?

If you can't join an alliance and you don't plan on taking over others, how are you gonna survive for long?

They are actually quite strong from what I gather. I don't know how they do it, but they tend to dominate a respectable piece of the galaxy.

What FTL method do you guys use? I've been doing Hyperlane only games since I can't understand where to bulid wormhole stations and how many to build. How does it work?

So what's the most OP trait / ethics choice now?

>Expand fast as hell early game
>Largely ignore planning worlds, just build whatever the tile says to build.
>Become a giant blob, build up forces, invade, peace, build up forces, invade, peace, repeat
>Survive the end game event then stop playing because it would take IRL years to actually achieve the victory condition

This is how my last few games went. I'm getting a little bored. Is there any other way to play this that doesn't just result in you getting stomped by the AI?

I do hyperspace only as wormhole/warp games make war unfun.

Hyperlane only is objectively the best way to play. But when wormholes is my preffered method. Wormhole stations only cost 0.25 energy to maintain so theres no reason not to litter the cosmos with them.

Think of it less as wormholes and more that you are building your own hyper lanes

I want to have a small empire with a massive amount of vassals. How do I create an empire that lets me demand vassalization? I don't want to estalish protectorates and wait hundreds of years for them to catch up in tech.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683145075

>not playing as best girl

>magocracy

lool, he wants to roleplay South Korea.

I want a big galaxy with no-one in it so I can have all the events for myself.

Boring old Warp.

That's the schtick, those civics he has are both really strong unity boosters that you can only get with that combo of ethics.

The ethics aren't too bad of a combo, with the harmony tradition you become a pretty defensible blob, and happiness bonuses of pacifist boost you a bit taller.

Wormhole is by far the best and always has been.
A single tier one powerplant can power six wormhole generators. I think. Maybe even more.

Grab them on every system you have a planet for each of movement, beyond that it's up to you, whatever feels right is fine. The AI doesn't attack them often.

Traits really haven't changed much in the meta. I'd say slow breeders got even more viable with the changes to food though.
Authoritarian is really bad, easily the worst.
Xenophile doesn't really help you at all unless your game plan from day 1 is to get a federation up.

Just got Stellaris. What is best way to learn? The tutorial for other Paradox games selects your nation and what not for you, but Stellaris doesn't, which should I pick?

>Find ancient novel.
>Turns out it was written by the empire next door.
>>What do we do?
>>Keep it.
>>Return it.
>>The prose is pedestrian, let's return that filth.
>Contact the empire.
>>Will you give it back to us, pls, it's an important text in our culture that was thought lost, you see?
>>>No.
>>>(Sarcastic) No.
What was even the point of contacting them in the first place.

>last game ended with a galaxywide war
>eastern alliance vs western alliance
>suddently unbidden come from the west and destroy western alliance
>they stop expanding because one fallen empire decides to rape them
>galaxy is in one big alliance now
>no idea what to do since everyone's happy

Wormhole is the most interesting.

Sub-light would be best, though. ~200 years to each star system. Ultimate marathon game.

>no idea what to do since everyone's happy
Time to start pissing everyone off.

Just to be a dick I guess

create your own faction and do the learning by doing approach. it works quite well in stellaris

so what happens now?
neverending galactic war?

>Authoritarian is bad

Slaves at the start and through the rest of the game with the option of future integration.

There is a handholding tutorial option in general.

Avoid egalitarian and authoritarian because factions and slaves are kinda fucky if you don't know what you're doing.

Probably materialist to prop up your research which most people fuck up on most games, as they don't keep their research up with their population.

Early game minerals are your reason to live.
Middle game onwards Energy is your reason to live.

In general just play. It isn't too complicated.
Should look into making good ship designs, but if you can't be bothered make sure you at least avoid missiles(the techs, as the AI gives your ship the "best" stuff you have) because they're complete trash.

2 spirals or 4 spirals to look more like the Milky Way? I know there are 4 spirals, but 2 of them seem that tere are two arms bigger than the rest.

>milky way
>real
LOL

Yeah I know, it's an okay boost. But I wouldn't go as them as anything other than fanatic spiritualist/authoritarian. Too many fucking problems with slaves and factions so the bonuses slaves get aren't worth it in the end.
At least that's what I've found.

>4 spirals.

I meant arms.

>still no C# Aurora

What I want to know is how we were able to estimate the apparent shape and composition of the Milky Way, even though we're inside of it and have no way to view it from above like this.