Lets study Richard hammonds crash

today Richard hammond survived a crash he had in an electric supercar and i wanted to see Veeky Forumss best guess as to why

heres the video
youtube.com/watch?v=oOQL7hyFXtc

to me it looks like the car doesnt have ABS and it seemed at the last second decided to turn left and get the brunt of the force the collision on the side of the car he was not on.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PdrTn15JYgc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>drive to fast into a corner
>crash

what a surprise

Probably combo of no abs (boutique car), and super heavy (electric)

Is he okay?

Mother fucker just can't not crash can he?

Didn't slow down for the blind turn. He probably didn't study the map or overestimated the car's stopping power. Hamster has a long history of crashing cars in his car reviewing history, that episode when he brought a Hellcat instead of something elegant and sophisticated proves that point.

Keeping the brakes locked during understeer doesn't help either. Rookie mistake.

>is he ok?
no hes not "ok" but he does have a fractured knee

time for Hammond to visit Hoonigans and do a segment with the hand controlled drift car

James May already did. Twice, I think.

noob camera guy.

abs are practically bolt on.
why would they not bolt it on?

the car should fucking have abs though?

it may be a concept car but you would think they would have made an abs system considering every car requires it by law anymore

i dunno maybe abs failure or shit driving

Afaik its an electronically controlled torque vectoring system

My guess is it glitched and locked up the weels unintentionally causing hammond to fuck up

So he's not coming on then?

You can still keep the brakes locked like that even with abs. It's a prototype so I doubt it's properly dialed. Drifting fancy cars all day and having driving skills are also completely different things.

Okay that's a good one.

How does he live through all this shit?

hes so tiny that the g-forces cant affect him as much

>barely avoids decapitation in a jet drag racer
>now this
is hamster unkillable?

the cockroach of drivers. put him in a Volvo or Hilux and he would be unstoppable

Is this going to make Richard call it quits? I mean he already nearly died in the jet car crash then there was the bike crash he had in March that knocked him unconscious and now this. I mean he has a wife and three young kids, they are only going to put up with so much.

I keked

the problem isn't the brakes or braking to begin with

he started to oversteer going into the right hand corner and that was it, it was already over at that point, traction was broken and there was no saving it

the sharp left hander, going too fast, and no traction just sealed the deal in the crash

ABS or no ABS, locking the brakes or not is totally irrelevant, he was going too fast and oversteered going into the right turn

how you people even consider ABS is the problem is beyond me

ALSO

if it did not have ABS and the brakes were locked, how the hell did the front tires suddenly grip and snap the rear end around right before going off the cliff?

retards

Carrying way too much speed into the corner...track not rubbered in, tires probably not at optimum temps...he pushed too hard, and this is what happens to every race car when pushed too hard in a corner...
He just didn't have a wall to keep him contained...

Whatever the cause was it's definitely because it's an electric car, and not because it was an amateur driver in a 1200hp monster with power delivery characteristics never seen before in any vehicle on an unprepped mountain road

>that episode when he brought a Hellcat instead of something elegant and sophisticated proves that point.
All that proved is he's not some posh mary like James May

Damn does this mean cummy is better than hammond?

F

doesnt looked like he braked at all. bet the car fukt up.

I think its just some guy with a phone. But yea he fucked up

he didnt brake*

this. dude has 9 lives or some shit, it's crazy.

I don't think that there's any car that can take that turn at that speed.

so I guess they won't be using this Rimac segment in the episode that it was meant to be in for the Grand Tour?

tesla owner pls go

thats kind of my point. it looks like it pulled a honda. if you listen to it the car doesnt stop accelerating.

toyota I mean

You'd know something about prepping, wouldn't you faggot?

This is problably right. Hammond fucked up and it wasn't the cars fault. But at the same time what bullshit car looses the back end on such a slight corner while going up hill?
Btw I'm OP and I wanted to ask if he should have just flown straight forward off the cliff or if it was a smart idea to turn left at that last second

SPEED UP HAMMONDS RECOVERY

1 LIKE =-==================== 1 PRAYER

He let off the brakes and the tires gained traction

Eat a dick mother fucker

hope this crash was at the end of the segment so they still have a lot of shots before fucking hamster destroyed it.
I live very close to Rimac factory and was waiting for 2 years for it to come to the show, and now this happens.
RIP in pieces Rimac

Im sure the car weighting 1950 kilogramms has nothing to do with it

i like how it instantly bursts into flames.

>drives cars for a living
>have driven everything between reliant robins and formula 1 cars
>amateur driver
I know tripfags are supposed to have shit opinions, but now you're just overdoing it.

Manlets can't drive, whats new?

he is going way too fast into that corner

He went into the first corner too hot, so when he tried to steer onto the second corner, the weight transfer was too much and he lost it.

He tried to bust a dagumi but couldn't deal.

get hydrated god hand

>
>what bullshit car looses the back end on such a slight corner while going up hill?
It's a electric, it has 1600 Nm torque

To get that look, the batteries are behind the driver, so that's your problem right there. Electric supercars shouldn't be so low, long and try to look so mid engined. Otherwise, they will be even deadlier deathtraps than the sub-thousand-made mid-engined petrol supercar.

tl/dr the car is retarded and it was made by assholes

Being an actual oldfag who drove before cars got ABS, I will tell you what it was really like when you smashed the brake pedal:

All wheels lock up with ungodly noise and yo screech in the same fuckin direction you were trying to avoid going whilst simultaneously wearing a big flat spot on all 4 fuckin tyres.

ABS is the best fuckin invention after power steering.

Fuckin noobs. You're the equivalent of a faggot in a fedora.

> pic fuckin related

he went in too fast, no need to analyze shit.

Get hydrated, God hand

It looked like he as trying to drift it and gave it too much power and over corrected.

kek, underrated post.

>i wanted to see Veeky Forumss best guess as to why

Because he's a cunt.

>/thread

This user is 100 percent correct if you think its anything other than this you actually might just be a retard not even a fucking full on rally car built hand built by i dont fucking care who subaru boxer fuck i spun a bearing land wouldnt be able to handle a corner going that fast

There no problem at all with the brakes, he was going too fast.
The car has torque vectoring so altough it appears to have lost traction when he turned left. It was just the car rotating itself through torque vectoring.
Actually the car was amazing, always pointing to the apex/corner exit.
He was too fast for the left hook.

Fucking shame about the car. Those Rimacs are really fine machines Ugly as fuck though, specially the no window rear.

What's there to study? He went into the corner way too fast and on an impossible line. ABS or not, you're not stopping two tons of car fast enough to not go off the track in this situation.

What's more interesting to me is that yet another electric vehicle goes up in flames after a crash.

Lithium fires are a hell of a thing

>Instant torque of a batshit insane electric engine
>No engine braking

Of course, but you'd think they develop safe batteries that don't explode every time you drive over a speedbump too fast before they call battery cars the future of mobility and push the Tesla meme down everyone's throat.

Op here. Here's Hammond in the hospital saying he cocked up
youtu.be/PdrTn15JYgc

He tried to do an inertia drift but failed.

NANI?

it looks like a mix of things
>1. He started to brake to late, maybe before this corner brakes were gold or he just fucked up, dunno
>2. There is definitely a tire screech, before he turned hard left. Some vectoring fuck up.
>3. There was no/zero/nada/zilch/0 grip. Look at that, he jumped like a rock. I know he countered just before the corner, but jesus fuck, that was like old widowmaker. Just a huge pendulum throwing the back of the car over. Dunno if this is the battery weight, plastic tires, no downforce (like in old koenigseggs) or mix of all

>but you'd think they develop safe batteries

They'd rather develop technology stopping you from driving fast.

Honestly there are worse places to crash and end up in hospital in than Switzerland.

>tfw I outrun Teslas in my 86 on the German Autobahn any day because they can't drive faster than 120mph for more than 5 seconds without overheating and going into limp mode

Yeah this fact alone is nuts

Also from the video he was going to fast and understeered into the corner.

I don't think he needs to call it quits, necessarily, but he may want to consider not driving rocket cars and concept super cars and shit. Amazon can afford to hire others to do that for filming purposes.

My car of the last 9 years has no ABS, I've tracked it, hooned it, etc. and it's not that bad, just let off when it starts locking.

Get hydrated, God Hand

YEA LIKE AMERICA He would have had to pay a bajillion dollars for a hospital bed yuk yuk yuk :) and the ambulance would have rusted out chassis and drop him yuk yuk yuk doesn't America suck yuk yuk yuk :)

This, then put him on the streets of london.

How is it underrated you mouthbreathing piece of shit? When you replied to the post, there were 3 replies already. I hope your mum dies in a fire you double nigger

and now, back to the hospital

GET HYDRATED, GOD HAND

>I don't think he needs to call it quits, necessarily, but he may want to consider not driving rocket cars and concept super cars and shit. Amazon can afford to hire others to do that for filming purposes.
Yeah, like, James May.

>85 replies
>4 replies for the best comment
That's how underrated works. It had a potential of 71 replies after it was posted.

We've heard and read the joke around 17 times before seeing it here.

I don't get it

>oversteered severely because he was going too fast for the corner
>Veeky Forums spergs about ABS

>Every car requires it by law

That depends on where you live

Name a country in Europe where ABS is not mandated.

Get hydrated, God hand

>depends on where you live
>Name a country in Europe
The current state of Veeky Forums, ladies and gentlemen.

>understeer
>No abs
>Suddenly griped

You guys have no idea.

In the gentle right hand just before that tight left hand the ass was out already and it came back around just in time to slide over the drop in the other direction

>The current state of Veeky Forums, ladies and gentlemen.
The incident happened IN EUROPE you FUCKING SHITBRAIN

How is that related to the accuracy of the claim that "every car requires it by law"?

Because that claim is made during a discussion of THIS PARTICULAR INCIDENT not a discussion of automotive law in every country in the fucking world

>I move the goalposts to wherever I need to them to be
The current state of Veeky Forums, ladies and gentlemen.

You didn't read this fucking thread you fucking moron, nobody here is talking about your special snowflake shithole where ABS is not required, ALL discussion was about THIS CAR and THIS CRASH.