I've got an 87 mr2 that I'd like to redo the exhaust on...

I've got an 87 mr2 that I'd like to redo the exhaust on. The current setup is A and I'd like to make it a dual tip exhaust thats on both sides of the car. I know exhaust setups like C1 (where the pipe enters the side of the muffler, and has two ports on both sides) is common for aw11 and sw20 mr2s, but I'd rather do C instead if thats possible since its straight into the back of the muffler. Or would I be crazy to put an H or X pipe on a 4banger? I'd like to do whatever makes the note sound deeper and avoid it sounding like a lawn mower. It'll probably be 2.25" tubing

any advice appreciated, I don't know much about exhaust designs

4 to 1 for max power

mr2 doesnt have enough space for that my dude

This should be more compact

wont work without a tarbo

>Doesn't know about DEI

Try this

EGR

im so confused

Might be cool but I'd need to find someone who could design some quality headers that would fit. I have to keep 4-2 otherwise

I'm pretty experienced with exhaust setups so I'll answer your question since everyone else is just going to post memes. Setup B is perfectly fine, but whether or not it sounds like shit will almost entirely depend on what mufflers you use (I'm assuming stock header in all cases?). X pipe will be the loudest and will drone, H pipe is generally more tame sounding. Setup C is commonly seen as a factor setup on 4 cylinder cars when the manufacturer wants the car to have dual exhaust tips but wants to keep cost down notice it has about the same amount of piping as setup A and also only uses 1 muffler. It will be the cheapest way to get the dual exhaust look but not the best for performance.

4-2-1 vs 4-1 depends what kind of power you want, 4-1 give the most top end power but 4-2-1 gives more mid range power.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'll more than likely be using the same headers unless I can find someone who's worth the time to design all new ones which is unlikely. The current muffler I have is a magnaflow which sounds nice for what it is, so with that in mind I'll probably go magnaflow mufflers for the new setup as well. Cost isn't a concern so I'm not looking to cut corners, you're saying a B setup would be better for performance than C?

A 4-1 would be preferable all things considered since I track the car often. It's a weekend/track car and not my daily driver, and it being a 20v 4age it only makes power at the top end anyway.

Yes B is better for performance because your not merging the pipes like in C which causes more back pressure. Assuming the car is tuned for the setup you don't want back pressure, some people will tell you otherwise but under WOT the less back pressure = the more power. Ideally straight header always gives the most power that's why dragsters don't have exhausts but that's obviously too loud for street cars.

Alright, sounds like I should go with B then.

Why

The sound is somehow incredible.