/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

underhound.eu:8080/#lobby
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not brown yeeks
There was an attempt

>Trog's Supremacy
>RegenMP
Trog has no idea what he's doing, does he?

Continuing from other thread

Do I just skill him like a normal otabber? Weapon til mindelay, then shield/dodging/fighting? Also, do I skill stealth much? Ranged option I'm assuming evocations up to 10 and invo all around?

Starting as a Fighter with rapier, I like to put all into stealth for the first 2 dungeon levels or so, then begin training shortblades and the usual dodging/fighting/stealth in the case of octopodes too since they have like +3 or 4, right?
Chances are you'll find a decent enchanted dagger like venom or draining, or heck even a normal dagger would be fine over the rapier for stabbing.
Octo melee during early game with a shield isn't hard really, just try to avoid the usual annoyances like orc priests/gnoll packs with spears/halberds/ogres unless you can stab or isolate them.
Honestly as soon as you get Dithmenos it'll get progressively easier thanks to the huge stealth boost, the shadow double damage, lower enemy accuracy.
This doesn't really need saying but try not to get surrounded, even on Lair you can reliably tab through death yaks and shit provided you have a dagger of venom/draining/elec and take one at a time.
Hydras are pretty dangerous but with Dith you can usually stab and one shot them.

>400+ hours in ToME
>Never beat the game
>2 tries in DCSS
>Beat the game

Why do you play such a casual-friendly roguelike?

And yes, it's nice to have a lot of stealth since umbra from Dith multiplies it. You don't really need to go overboard and because octos have good stealth aptitude it's very easy/fast to raise.
>Ranged option I'm assuming evocations up to 10 and invo all around?
Invo is nice so you can use Shadow Form when needed, but just 10~ is enough.
Evo can be nice but that depends on what wands you find such as paralyze/confusion/slow even.
For spells you want useful low level buffs or utility like Regeneration, Blink, Repel Missiles
If you have stealth to about ~14-15 it's very easy to chain stab multiple sleeping foes with Dith umbra/shadow step against foes you really want to stab

Because if we want to play hard roguelikes, we wouldn't pick a roguelite

what combo was it that you were using in DCSS

DELET THIS

never. Post your profile

Polearm wielding Naga worshipping Chei.

btw when switching Dith>Makh, how do you escape having shadow fiends dumped on your ass? Last time I remember getting tormented to shit at a stage where I had fuck all for rN

Shadow fiends? Shadow demons? what the fuck's a shadow fiend?

As I said it's better to switch when you get Statue Form castable, it reduces torment damage by 50% on top of the rN it gives.
Tzitzimitls (previous shadow fiends) are the only dangerous part of Dith's wrath but they are doable with Statue Form or just teleporting away.
I like doing Elf 1-3(But not the "boss" chamber) right after switching to Mak, it's easy piety there and the elves can't do shit against decent ac/ev/sh/repel missiles which is what you should have when you get Statue Form.

aaaah i see

thanks mane this is very useful, i legit wanna ascend an octobro

>D:9
>Still no temple
>Look at the map
>There's an unexplored up stair on D:8
Huh. I thought ALL disconnected dungeon shards were removed. That's why I no longer compulsively check all stairs.

Oh, well. What god would you recommend for a gnoll hybrid who can never have high skills? I thought about going Gozag after finding the Mask of the Dragon in an early shop, but then Robin dropped a pretty sweet randart helmet, and I'm not sure any more. I've found so much sweet gear my pack's already full. I wish I'd get loot like this on viable characters.

DELET

Dithmenos stabber mostly as doggos have shit apts at high levels but dagger mindelay only needs 10, and about 10 stealth is also decent to stab a lot of shit with Dith umbra.
Gozag can be great but it's rng as fuck, however with the doggo versatility chances are you could find a decent weapon through Gozag, the jew gold daze is also great.

Doesn't matter. Shields and evocations are just a waste when there are better options like spells and higher tab damage/defense to make your run more convenient but that might not be the case for you.

ToME isn't unbeatable because Its difficult though, Its unbeatable because its so badly designed your more than likely going to get murdered from offscreen by somebody

Thoughts on amulet of harm?

It is, and is supposed to be, a bad item. One of the few reasons not to wield-ID amulets until you've seen both it and faith.

Worse than bloat.

Replace it and rings of loudness with increased damage and the loudness effect.

One of the few not no-brainer equipment in the game.

Should have waited your response. My character almost died because of this piece of trash. Never again

No-brainer for Basajaunaks

>shields are a waste on an octopode

Wait what.

It's a new unrand. It's basically what it says: flaming and freezing, rF- and rC-, and its enchantment grows with each hit.

On underhound.eu:8080/#lobby is says that you should not use crawl.lantea because it is supposed to be insecure

IIRC that's only for webtiles. SSH is secure.

>play Felid
>it's actually easier than anything else due to the extra lives
wew

qazlal for extended y/n

you keep talking about how good upheaval is for hellion island

Fuckno.

The only good you need in extended is Makhleb.
HP on kills is literally the strongest thing in the game for mid/late/extended and don't let anyone tell you otherwise
It's almost like you don't want to tab through hellions and whatever with an axe
Qzal on extended is "enjoy awakening every single torment and smiter in the dungeon"

I can't do it.
I can't play dredmor, it's too fucking hard, floor 1 is just ridiculous on Going Rogue difficulty when you're anything other than a melee centric warrior build.

To the devout, Zin provideth. From the rest ye unbelievers, ye guilty of disloyalty, Zin taketh.

Zin is good but it requires people to actually know what they are doing
Mak is way easier in the sense you can tab through even extended, not to mention far more versatile as he's good against literally everything and anything

It's tricky rather than hard.
In early game you need to dance a whole lot, while later you need to knockback and block all randuniques.
There are many terrible skill trees and you need to figure out the scaling and cooldowns to understand what is good.

TSO is better in extended.

You can have your dumb shield while I have either unlimited death scarabs or cBlink or both just because I didn't waste exp

TSO is arguably better for mindlessly clearing popcorn but zin is super effective
>imprison a panlord and deal with the entourage
>sanctuary actually saves your ass easily
>imprison fucking greater mummies
>endlessly reciting your way through pandemonium
>protects you from all the annoying crap hell throws at you
>actually ensures that you don't have to nobly sacrifice after you fight Mnoleg

>wasted exp on a skill that's barely leveled and serves only to protect your ass

fuck yeah i'll have 25 air magic instead of 24, surely that will help with my casting

He's insane.
The shield protects you as soon as D1, as opposed to having high as fuck spells that actually don't even matter since by the point you can cast those, there's already infinite and easy xp to get as as Octopode, especially since your aptitudes are average and thus level pretty fast.

I meant TSO vs Makhleb.

Zin is probably nice, but my playstyle is more about spamming cleansing flame to gain health and summoning angel bros.

I disagree with the idea that you "have" to start as fighter with Op, as if the other 25 roles are traps. Floorgod will provide a shield soon enough.

IE, Tm are pretty good Op starts.

>tummy posting
>anime/comic strip posters
>kutar posting
yea totally roguelikes
dumb fuck

>tfw you find out your favorite race in DCSS is considered piss easy

should I just kill myself now?
>"who cares just have fun and play it anyway"
I can't, it's ruined now.

First ever gnoll Geh rune's mine.

you have sinned, my son
your penance is to play 1000 mumos and watch 10 mumo vods
in the name of the dicku, the pharaoh, and the holy mummy

You don't have to, user.
But fact is the medium shield makes a ton of difference in the early game where most deaths happen, and relying on rng to find one is boring.
Going the stealth + shortblades stabber route however IS way esier than anything else for octopodes, especially wih Dith

Gargoyles? Minotaurs?

Play it with the MuMo conduct.

Draconian

Not *that* level of easy. Closer to the middle ground.
And it's a good choice. Flavorful, interesting.
I know a greatdraconian player, by the way. He's totally crazy, you're not going to beat him even though he's in the military atm.

I just visited my first gun store and I found it immediately

tummies are roguelikes user

Dude, what the fuck.
I've just got a Pale Draconian for the first time, read up on its shit and felt pretty meh about it, but holy fucking shit this breath weapon has to be the absolute best of the lot. I'm dead fucking serious. This steam breath is just decimating everything I use it on.

Gunsmith is the tier 2 kit.

Wrong kit. GUNSMITH repair kits are a different item. They use less batteries, and there might be a couple advanced recipes that need one.
Firearm repair kits are probably about as rare, but they're craftable, so it doesn't matter that much.

if you ever make it to extended you're gonna love it, it blocks LOS for smiters/tormenters

Someone gonna compile the latest Infra Arcana and post it somewhere? I thought this game was on the top #10 list and /rlg/ wasn't aka "circle-jerk stone bollocks"

Compile it yourself.

>I thought this game was on the top #10 list
It is like PS4 exclusives:
It only had the amazing reputation because no one played it so no one could say it's not as good as it is said to be.

actually we're just terrible at compiling on windows
but honestly who can blame us

>he's still playing problematic eurocentric oriental mystifying culture appropriating misogyny simulators in the year that sexually identifies as 2017
how does it feel to be literal nazis

also how the fug do you play hunters that aren't large rock throwing trolls. If I conserve ammo then I feel like I'm just playing an otabber that gives up 2 extra item slots and if I use ammo I get fucked as soon as a corner death yak happens. Should I just play a tablord until I find a cool ranged artifact then switch? Do I have to put up with spriggan/centaur evoke feet optimal play autism to play hunter effectively?

how are you so bad at tome
i won on like the first attempt as a summoner
it's literally just "drown enemy in 12 dragons then mash 5 until ded"

The most important part of steambreath is not the damage but rather the clouds. They block vision so they can stop things from being able to shoot at or smite you.

Can PCB Draconians that take the metamorphosis talent still ride mounts?

Never tried it, but I assume either you wouldn't be able to ride or you won't be able to control your mount because you don't have any hand slots.

>when that embroidered pair of gloves you thought were going to be dex are actually -2

Halfling+slings. Basically 200+ stones before Lair without Oka/Trog.

Hunters are tricky. Unless you have a lot of ammo or can shoot down everything you see, you need a close range option and you need to skill that option quite a bit. Obviously, that kind of defeats the point of the class, but them's the breaks.

But even then, training the skills isn't obvious. With my successful HaHu, I trained Slings to 12 ASAP, got my other skills high-ish, and then raced to get Slings to 27; completely ignored Stealth and Short Blades. I'm not sure that would be good for, say, a Centaur with bows, but it's something to consider.

Lads, anybody bored enough to watch me play and give me pointers on what I'm doing so horribly fucking wrong?

Does anybody here actually play DCSS or is this game just a meme

Wizmode sez yes
but you have 0 hands and so you get "you are using all your hands for fighting and can't control your mount"

You can be an extremely lewd ancient dragon riding on top of your own mature dragon minions, at least.

Nice.

only the newbies
everyone else started hating it and quit
there are lots of people who USED to play dcss tho

First vault i've ever cleared on Madness period, blazing rebirth is amazing.
I'm planning to take Cauterize spirit next for mass debuff removal /on madness they go crazy with it), but i have struggles against people with insane buffs like vitality and blurred mortality.
Any way to remove those buffs from enemies for a Doombringer? For now i've skipped those two rares who had haram buffs, but i'm afraid i wont be able to escape forever.

Carry the black torch!
Rouse the idle thread!

MuMo

What about it

aren't ancient dragons bigger than mature dragons

yes but then you dont get to abuse your superior ranking + power to sekkuharass your lower-ranked employees

>compile
Honestly, whatever's preventing you from just compiling it yourself, whether it's a serious technical problem or just plain laziness, probably applies to most people here.

Makes you think.

It isn't anywhere near as popular as it used to be but people still play it.

>Dithmenos is okay with casting corona
why

flavorbloat must be removed
he only hates fire now rather than hating all sources of light

just post your webtiles link and people here will watch

FUCKMIPO4JIPFJ34 FNIUENPIUGERIOFPHHGUO
Ill try not to stab people with 0 short sword and 3 stealth from now on..

>randomly typing with all caps to express anger

>trying to stab sigmund when he's got a scythe of distortion

The Nu-Crawlers, gentlemen.

he was asleep and RIGHT next to a corner
you could just walk away and be out of LOS in one turn, and then place an exclusion to avoid autoexploring back

Im not new, just lazy and stupid and i do learn from my mistakes though

How are you supposed to express anger

pro tip: if you see a dangerous sleeping enemy and you can't oneshot them, just walk away
yes stealth increases your stab damage but if you aren't casting hexes the MAIN benefit of stealth is being able to autoexplore into a Sigmund and then walk away again without waking him up

I was actually going to but (and I know this is going to sound fucking retarded considering the type of game DCSS is) I was lagging so fucking bad. Every time I'd press a key it would take like 2 seconds before it did the command.
I know I don't exactly need swift reactions to play a turn based game but I can't deal with how annoyingly slow that is. I don't know what the fuck it's doing that for.