Do Porsche Boxters suck

Or something? What's the deal with them being so cheap?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cDRkHXMHqFo
youtube.com/watch?v=hdo5QK3duHE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I find them to be very ugly with the top up but besides that there isn't really anything wrong with them.

they were never expensive cars

theyre that "Im too poor for a 911" car

Boxsters are excellent cars. It just costs a lot to maintain and it's not a 911.

Google "Boxster IMS Bearing"

Ok, so it isn't a 911. Does it have tuning potential?

I mean, for 2x the cost of a Miata....

Porsche fans hate the 986 because

1. Its not aircooled and that's like against Porsche doctrine
2. The infamous IMF bearing issue grenading engines at a 1-8% rate depending on the year.
3. Porsche was struggling in the 90s and thus cut corners on the interior making it relatively cheap considering its a Porsche.
4. $1-2 in maintenance yearly
5. The headlights are an affront to Porsche design doctrine
6. Legally Blonde had Reese Witherspoon's ultra sorority girl in a pink one and Barbie soon got one damaging the image of the car as a 'girls' car.

In reality women hate roadsters because it fucks with their hair and make up but the damage was done amongst men, not in actual sales because women bought cayenne not boxsters.

That said they are great cars, aged well.

IMS*

Porche's biggest seller, therefor not "exclusive"

Also, finland

the porsche community dogged on it for its aesthetics nothing wrong with it, it';s cheaper and performs just as well

>but the Ims...
What German/Italian sport cars hasn't had issues with the Ims

interior quality is questionable but ok

not even made in germany

"ugly" according to purists, hence the joke about not knowing which was the front

Not really that fast. Not very modifiable besides exhaust and plenum. Not a lot of aftermarket support for it. Only for parts that it shares with the 996.

ims shit that isnt that bad. Just swap it out with each clutchjob. most cars on the road today have already had it done atleast once.

I recommend it as an entry level sportscar to anyone, seriously. It's great.

>most trunk space of all roadsters and convertibles
>mid engine setup feels great
>it's a fucking porsche, normies actually think you're rich.
>can daily it, has a lot of nice comfort features.

i like mine

i also want to add that eventhough people complain about 986/ 996 interior quality, the interior wears really fucking well compared to all the other german brands. a 100k mile porsche is much nicer than a BMW/Porsche/Mercedes/Audi whatever of half the mileage.

>6. Legally Blonde had Reese Witherspoon's ultra sorority girl in a pink one and Barbie soon got one damaging the image of the car as a 'girls' car.

I don't know if this was the case everywhere, but here in LA in the late 90s it seemed like every mid-20s trust fund douchebag was driving a Boxster. It became known as a poser Porsche even among non-car people.

the newer Boxster Spyders are sexy as fuck.

>It became known as a poser Porsche even among non-car people.
Thank God for the cayenne and panamera for becoming the Porsche for douche bags

>a 100k mile porsche is much nicer than a BMW/Porsche/Mercedes/Audi whatever of half the mileage.
>a 100k mile porsche is much nicer than a Porsche

Drove two 986's today. The build quality is pretty good, but the convertible tops like to break. Not too fancy, but that's not what you buy it for. It's a little larger than a miata, but with 200 more horsepower. With the top down it feels even faster and sounds amazing. Not fast enough to get you in trouble, but definitely enough to set you in your seat. Overall a good value.

were there 315 hp versions of the first gen?

what did he mean by this

They only got around 290 at most iirc.

(OP)
Why do you keep making these threads?

911 engine swaps are a bolt in affair, LS swap kits also exist

260hp, actually
and remind me, what type of suspension does boxster use?

Have a boxster s 2002 model year sitting at my uncles shop. Traded a 2002 e class for it, owner was a dentist who was sick of driving stick.

It had a cracked bumper, a bad wheel bearing, hood and trunk release didn't work, passenger door didn't lock, and the passenger window didn't sit flush with the convertible top. We fixed all that and did a radiator flush, now its just sitting here.

It has 103k miles and the interior is in great condition. I never liked these until I drove them.

718 is the first good looking boxster.
It's amazing even with the shitty engine.
If it had a real porsche engine it would be superb.

Pretty sure Porsche made the engine

MacPherson struts from the 911 at the front and multi-links in the rear

You know what I meant.
It's 4 cylinders that sound like asphyxiating cat, with a turbo. And it's not the kind of turbo you get in 911, the one with crazy power output. It's the shitty kind of turbo that kides how weak the engine is

It's good compared to flat 4 in brz86, but it's not a proper "porsche engine"

All Posrches sound like shit, it's nothing new

>weak engine
>makes like 350bhp in a 2800lbs car
>broad as fuck torque curve

>All Posrches sound like shit, it's nothing new

well that may be, but Porsches always had their characteristic clunky mechanical sound that is lost now.

Also it's 300 bhp, 350 is the S model

Just watch any reviewer. They always say the same, they sperg how good it feels, how reactive it is, how light it feels, but then look like they got diarrhea when talking about engine.

Second wave autism, like when people bitched about Porsche going water cooled

Just tune it and throw on an obnoxious BoV

>Second wave autism, like when people bitched about Porsche going water cooled

I dunno, that was definitively autismo, but now it's fucking downscaling because of exhaust regulations.

I personally fucking hate how those mini-turbo engines feel, but that's my autism

>Just tune it and throw on an obnoxious BoV
well it's possible but buying a new boxster S to tune it? That ricer territory. Obnoxious BoV would be weapons grade autism. Anyway that does not change that engine itself sounds like asthmatic through a straw. Maybe they'll fix the exhaust next year.

It's just a sad sign of our times.

>ricer territory
youtube.com/watch?v=cDRkHXMHqFo

It's a ralley car.

Mate ... those sounds in a boxster scream "I'M 7 YEARS OLD AND SO IS MY PENIS"

Porsches are just not for that kind of tuning

It's the Porsche you buy when you cant afford a Porsche, or are a woman.

Stale bait

>Porsches are just not for that kind of tuning
Someone never told these guys
youtube.com/watch?v=hdo5QK3duHE

It's a Miata for rich people.

Bill Gates had one. Very expensive to service, but it's not even fast. If you bench race, walk away.

>Very expensive to service
wrong
>but it's not even fast
Only if you care about straight line speed

I dont mind project cars, but you are taking about buying a new car, and tuning it to fix it's innate problems.

Like buying brz or miata and swapping. I just dont like shit like that. It's excusing the producer, you're finishing the car for them.

>Very expensive to service

Parts are expensive, but they are very reliable

>but it's not even fast. If you bench race, walk away.

It's a drivers car. You can get used at a price of 370Z with a manual it will be the best corner muncher for the money.

Any work on the engine or its accessories is an engine out job.

I personally don't agree sports cars should be race cars, but normies do, and they set the prices, pal.

>Any work on the engine or its accessories is an engine out job.
Shit no one told me

Bench racers don't care about properly tuned suspension or power delivery, or the quality of controls (steering, braking, etc). Hence, if you bench, walk away. If you don't, you'll probably like it.

That isn't even remotely the same thing
And there are plenty of people who buy a BRZ and slap a super charger on it. Because it's a great platform to work off of

>why do people modify cars?
This is how you sound

kek BTFO

welp, for some reason I registered that backwards. I really need a coffee

>This is how you sound

Yeah, maybe. It's just that They're expensive enough to expect them to be good from the go.
But that might be just for me

Manufactures have to follow emissions and noise regulations, consumers can get around them

Who told you that lie? You know they have access panels to get to the accessories right?
It's easier than working on something like a transverse FWD econobox

True, but I would prefer even a weaker 6cyl to work on then a stronger 4cyl with a microturbo

Is there even space there for like an 3,6 997 engine ?

There is but Porsche can't put it in
They wanted to put in the turbo 6 but it couldn't fit reasonably

fugg

I really fucking hate EU

Hopefull it will dissolve before the planned 2025 bans kick in

>2025 bans

Those are local, the EU dindu sheiyt.

>In the US, both the Obama administration and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign refused to comment, saying that it is an internal European affair. However, sources close to the administration say that it is already planning to use the Environmental Protection Agency’s executive power to restrict the sale of new fuel-powered cars to emergency needs. The sources speculate that an executive order is planned for shortly after the presidential election this November, provided Clinton wins, in order to avoid creating backlash among key swing constituencies, including the automakers and the exurban lower middle class. Donald Trump’s presidential campaign’s response is unprintable.

shieeeeeeeeeeeet 'muricans got really did job with electing Danhald

At least here in E. yurop people are to poor for this shit. We will get flooded by cheap used cars from west through.
Oh the horror

Even if Clinton did win her government would be mostly Republican, they own at just about every other level by a landslide

Does congress need to approve executive orders?

I thnought that the thing with them was that Chief can go around the Congress, but it can be bounced to court

I don't know why the dems try this shit, it would have been reversed by the next predisent anyway.

I'd take an s2k over a boxter

Good luck finding one that hasn't been molested by stance fags or wrecked at a reasonable price

A good S2K will run you as much as a good Boxster S, and would be a lot less useable every day.

>A good S2K will run you as much as a good Boxster S
This is the thing.
I love the S2K. But between one and a Boxter S. Which from stock is already faster and more luxurious.
What the fuck is wrong with S2Ks???
In europe they are climbing to 15k!

Rice tax. Clean S2Ks are starting to cost as much as NSX's 5 years ago

>In europe they are climbing to 15k!
15k is cheap for a nice S2000.

>Clean S2Ks
That's the important part, a lot have been wrecked and/or modified. Everyone wants a stock car, so nice ones go for a premium. I bought mine only 5 years ago, but it's already appreciated in that time.

You can't make a 4 cylinder turbo sound like a N/A 6 cylinder.

On that note, the 991.2 sounds like ABSOLUTE TOTAL SHIT now. Why is Porsche continuing to fuck up?

Republican congress doesn't care about cars. They will fight about other things like abortion etc.