/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

Previous thread: >Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur
>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=790412525
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bout damn time

Elf players, use this
steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=790412525

So the Awakened Empire surrendered.

Welp, i took people's suggestions from the thread and started a new game.
>Small galaxy
>(Almost) max number of AI empires
>One fallen empire, two advanced starts
>Hyperlane only
>Ironman

Hopefully this is fun. Or at least a little interesting.

tell me lads, should I conquer them?

And then this happened, this normal? All their planets are abandoned. They had about 100 population before the "Total Victory" win condition. Now it's just a bunch of empty worlds.

Seriously though, which of these starting Ascension Perks is good? It's not like you're allowed to change these so I don't want to fuck it up.

>should I conquer them?
The answer is always yes

Here is my plant hive mind. I liked the idea of a sentient plant becoming the planet. Now it buds off into space to find nubile alien women to... investigate.

With it's feeler.

They're all useful

no

mastery of nature lets you clear any tile blocker for free, I usually pick that

Also unbidden happened a few days after the "War in Heaven" ended. 2/3rds of my fleet is gone, I'm low on minerals and now the Unbidden just appeared in the middle of my empire.

It would take years to rebuild the fleet and I don't have years.

But which is the most useful? I don't know how good a +5 boost to core worlds is, or if that 10% science superior? What about the one for extra unity?

My problem with that one is that tile clearing is cheap, and you're going to get techs to do that eventually anyway. It's one of those things that's only really important for the impatient, or people with a really bad set of starting planets.

I'm a fan of:
+25% border range first
+5 core worlds
+10% science

In that order. Leaves enough for 2 ascention (robot, psi or genetic) and voidborn+megastructure+ringworlds.

Mastery of nature allows you to forgo worrying about money and minerals, though. Instead of spending 100 minerals and 100 energy on just one tile, I can get 1/3 of a colony ship, a corvette, 2 buildings, an upgraded building... many more things that I imagine I'd get from the other ascension points.

> ooga booga where the mammalian women at
I like the premise, if I ever bother to get Utopia I'll probably rp my hivemind as a tentacle monster who literally rapes everyone to death by pleasure overload and that's why the purges happen.

I liked it better when threads weren't over in a few hours

>Instead of spending 100 minerals and 100 energy on just one tile
If you're clearing tile blockers in the early game when 200 mana is still something you worry about, you're doing it wrong

We r8'ing each other's factions now?

>

Does upgrading a starport increase its maintenance? by how much?

Is the border boost that big a deal? Though that may be because of my situation, there's this huge nebula full of resources but ZERO colonizable planets, for anyone, to the north of me.

I'd say it's situational. If there's something really good but not worth building a frontier base for, +borders can help. Though, there are other sources of it in the early game, can get a society tech for +20% and Supremacy opener for 20%.

Upgrading it in levels doesn't add maintenance, building modules does.

>can tolerate eu4
>like ck2
>like civ 4
>like civ 5
>can tolerate civ 6
>cannot for the life of me finish a game of stellaris

can someone post the weapons tech tree?

>playing as fanatic spiritualists
>meet other fanatic spiritualists

I can feel a crusade coming on

>accepting refugees
>Megacorporation
b-but user you dont want to exploit that poor refugees as cheap workforce r-right?

Tell me what you think about this Civ.

It's because not only does Stellaris have shit win condition and no real ending, the late game is where fun goes to die.

Late game crises are suppose to make the late game challenging, but they either pop up on the other side of the galaxy, where they get wiped out by the AI or snowball in an unstoppable juggernaut, or they pop up right next to you and you mop them up in a few seconds. The only fun I have in late game anymore is hoping that the War in Heaven pops, since it functions a bit like realm divide in TW Shogun.

OH GOD THEY'RE SO CUTE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I want one

>[purging intensifies]

>lets give the player 50 more years to prepare, guaranteeing they will have more fleet power than they know what to do with
>lets make the AI's all effectively gang up on the threat, so they can defeat it on their own

genius, wiz, absolutely fucking genius

8/10 would subjugate, convert to empire's ethos and genetically modify to fit a role in it

I like it!

Didn't you do a MP session with some other people from here a while back?

Thank you :)

Some guy was making these 10/10 looking orks, then randomly stopped and never posted a finished version

Still upset desu

Hey cousin, mind if we come hang out for a while?

>like civ
Well you're a filthy plebeian casual see, thats the problem here boyo

No. I just made up that meme though I'm sure other people did it before, it was just a meme.

I'm quite glad Utopia added in a few 'cute' portraits to the game. Nice aliens or not we needed some cute ayys.

>havnt released any more portrait packs
Yadayada "DLC jewry"

But I would still like some more portraits paid or otherwise. I would kinda like something with more animals akin to earth animals gone sentient, like rats. Or a rat portrait where its actually 8 rats all on screen at once.

What like, a hivemind? Or just family groups?

Or do you just like small rattos?

>load up a new game
>decide to play tall
>pick warm engines
>just jet around to what is in sensor range
>8 habitable planets of my type, plus 3 not
>23,23,19,16,15,13,13,10
>all of them will fall within my borders after a brief extension
wew

if end game crisis are too easy for you maybe you should decrease the size of the galaxy, or better yet decrease the number of habitable planets. I usually play with 600 system with .25 habitable planets and I can manage prethoryn/AI uprising but unbidden fuck me in the ass every time.

>Colonize a holy world
>Give it to an AI you dont like

Would this work?

Well this is just a portrait, but it would be like a small group of rats all together on screen

People could pretend its a hivemind, or maybe just overcrowded.

a bunch of rats holding eachother up to appear as one giant rat and using a sci-fi trenchcoat to conceal the rats

If they don't flat-out refuse because of the modifier, the FE would declare war on you faster than they would accept.

New playthrough in stellaris and been into wars, conquests, purge, and slavery more than any of my playthrough. Somehow this dlc is called "utopia".

>tfw only two habitable planets which aren't located on the other side of another fucking empire

>building a habitat on uranus

Is there no way to stop autopurging conquered worlds as a hive mind?

>When you see it

No. You're hive mind can't handle other races so it turns them into soylent green.

I played a trial version of stellaris :^) and I wanted to know if they fixed the inordinate amount of difficulty to colonizing a lot of planets, I played the release 1.0 version but I'm getting it tonight if its still on sale

If you want to specialize in it you can have around 15 core worlds by midgame

>playing commonwealth cause new to game
>make 1st contact with other humans
>get this fucking message

Really Paradox? I know you fucks are lazy but come on. This is just garbage.

they made it worse

Why the fuck aren't construction ships used at all in colonization?

I mean honestly, your only type of ships you really use are science ships, construction ships, and war ships. All three should be used to send a bunch of passengers to a new planet.

Science ships survey and scout, obviously.
Warships clear the area if needed.
Construction ships should have some kind of base-building mechanic. Maybe reducing the mineral cost of colony ships but making a cost to create the first settlement or 'satellite array' around the planet to help with communications.

Personally I want something like this because I dislike how having more then one construction ships feels wasteful, and once you get all the resource nodes in your territory they're useless until you get megaprojects.

Here's what happened. The awakened fallen empire had an ally.
The sleeping one fought the ally and got help from the awaken one.
They made a truce for a bit.
Later awakened fought sleeping again and defeated it.

Sleepy stayed sleepy. Never awoke. No war in heaven and horizon dlc is activated.

Does this happen often? There's a third -currently sleeping- fallen empire too, perhaps they'll do war in heaven.

Also, for worm I go back and forth to a black hole, or console?

the greatest secret of the UNSC is the existence of native human populations on the colonies

it would be a pretty big discovery wouldn't it?

Prepare your anus galaxy. Once I'm done enslaving these fucking xenos I'm coming for that ass.

So, does second ascension trait for genes get any event? Or just the bonuses in modification?

So what sort of fun roleplaying empires have you all been doing recently?

I'm playing these guys; with the mission to stop wasteful and consumerist empires from polluting their own planets and to liberate gaia worlds from other races, who are incapable of managing them correctly. That's my race's theme. But what about you guys?

Do you play really industrious mineral miners? Greedy rich space jews? Or are you all just edgy human/elf empire building fanatic purifiers?

Yep. And the fact that all you get is the defalut "muh spooky ayy lmaos" is bullshit.

Deneb & Sol seem pre-programmed to be near each other, which makes sense considering one's the lost colony of the other. What doesn't make sense is that if you integrate Sol as Deneb humans on Earth aren't considered "native" to earth so they get only 80% habitability.

Which is still an improvement from the time where humans on the Unity colony were considered completely alien to the Earth humans.

Would like more lost human colonies though, how about a game start where there's 5 human colonies (and the lost hyacinth colony ship) surrounding sol.

That exact same message comes up when you play hivemind.

Those crazy swedes.

Does /civ4xg/ do any modding? What programs should I look into for creating a mod for Stellaris?

I want to make a mega structure, a massive shipyard. Something that can build 4+ ships at a time at a reduced cost.

P.S. The Science Nexus is fucking stupid. Whats the point of building it if I have already cleared each tech tree?

[satisfied capitalist laugh in the distance]

wat gam

Offworld Trading Company.
A pretty fun, if frustrating game, where your goal is to destroy your opponent by buying their company.

That means making more dosh than them. The sad part is that it means rushing to get the teleportation technology. As long as you have it, it's awwright.

the one with the woman hijab-wearing muslim somehow leading a faction of moderate muslims into space

What would happen if you built a dyson sphere around a black hole?

>play as pacifist xenophobes
>literally the modus operandi of my species is "please don't bother us and leave us alone"
>every alien species in the galaxy hates my guts and wants to exterminate me for wanting to be alone

well lik a candle witout oxygen it'd extinguish itself dawg

Just like real life :^)

This happens on modern-day Earth all the time. :^)

>Unbidden arrive
>their portal is on the other side of the galaxy from me, right in between a huge nation and a wide-spread alliance
Sweet. I assume I can just kick back and keep building megastructures. Bide my time and all that.

>declare war on the good natured birds that are one of the few empires that have a friendly relationship with me, lots of trade deals too
>they literally reply with your pic
Poor birds. I felt kinda bad for them.

>not naming the capital Chevy Chase and the system Maryland

Planetary survey corps is fucking based/broken as fuck.
Every survey gives a third of a month of research and every sector has half a dozen things to tag. Three survey vessels have kept me at double research speed for 80+ years (zero point power at 2320) and I still have a quarter of the medium map left to harvest.

Just like in high school :^)

But if that were true then why wouldn't the same thing happen to a star? It'll go red giant much earlier.

>tfw don't want to trade star maps with people because I'd rather survey the shit myself

stars got plenty of uranium inside np

How many science ships are you running?

Oh fug well are there any mods that fix it?

I had a great game where 60 years in I had, no joke, 15 science ships on auto-survey duty

I pump out 10 as soon as I get auto-survey

Oh I forgot, get in with a science enclave, it unlocks a rare science ship component tech that boosts survey speed by 25%

Thoughts on my faction?

Efficient bureaucracy and xenophobe for big borders to simulate 'muh blob, muh 1/3 of the earth'

Otherwise I would've picked an authoritarian set of ethics

Should have been a benevolent psychic slaver like me mate.

Probably requires warp because with wormholes you run out of places to scan quickly.

>with wormholes you run out of places to scan quickly.

>he doesn't cover the entire galaxy in wormholes
git gud