E30

How terrible of an idea is it to get an e30 as your first car? I'm interested in working on cars so I'd be willing to do any repairs I could by myself.

>bad taste in clothes
but thats fire outfit

bumping for interest

Get one only if you have the money to replace every single part in it

Roughly how much should i budget for that?

about the same price of the car

After 200k integral parts like the master cylinder, steering pumps, and timing start to go bad and can be expensive

t. former e30 325is owner

Engines are pretty bulletproof from what I'v heard, its everything else that goes bad.

I started with a 944 don't be a bitch

The engines run forever if you take care of them but a lot of the other small parts are going to have to be replaced; shocks, brakes, gaskets, etc.

I had a 91 325i Cabrio that I found a hard top for, was my first car and I still have it 7 years later. All in all, I'd say it was DEFINITELY worth it for $3400.

Obligatory hardtop

>The 80s: When people had terrible taste in clothes
My ass

the hardest thing you'll probably end up doing to this car is the timing belt. while you do the timing belt you refresh the cooling system, and replace all your seals on the front. other than that it's just wear items, icv cleaning, and flooded battery trays.

People today have shittier taste in clothes desu

If you have the money to properly maintain it, knock yourself out.

That's horse shit that only someone who believe's Veeky Forumss bmw memes would say. E30s are solid and reliable, and unless you buy one that has been run into the ground it is no more expensive than any other car from the '80s.

Basically this. E30s are mechanically very solid cars, just be wary of potential electrical gremlins as the wiring is 30+ years old. '80s German wiring is the stuff of nightmares.

>Timing belt
>Buying anything other than a 325i/is

>great taste in cars
>fake m3

Lol no. Google "parachute pants" and have a giggle.

That doesn't look nearly as shit as current trends like rompers.

t. Highschool senior who only knows the 80s through the filter of buzzfeed articles about mullets.

That's only the ugliest cars ever produced, and as weird as clothing was in the 80s, the 90s were worse, and today's ultra tight clothing and diaper pants take the cake.

fucken gorgeous car m8, 10/10

>E30 convertible
>10/10
E30 verts fucking suck though. They look weird, handle poorly and are slower than granny's corolla.

not op but what about e46?
thinking of getting pic related

Just get a civic for 3k and keep it stock.

Every period is a terrible time for clothes. 20 years from now we will scoff at our clothing choice today. Except while they atleast had great taste in cars. we have nothing.

This car will make your dick diamonds every time you get in it.

DO IT, NIGGER.

Why not getting E34 M5 instead?

Wrong.

I'd agree with you if it was an E32 or pretty much any BMW after e36 but on e30's its simply not true unless its been beat to shit.

The 20's 30's 60's 90's all had dope clothing, so no not every era.

>German wiring is the stuff of nightmares.

Ceramic fuses with elements exposed to corrosion, fuse boxes cunningly located to collect moisture.....

I cant find any?

are you implying that 325i/is dont have timing belts because they do

I lived during those times
Manual transmissions made up a quarter of all vehicles, clothes were great, sex was great, drugs were decent. Exotic cars were even more out of reach, but you lusted after them just the same

t. oldfag

>terrible taste in clothes

well fug
I unironically want to dress like it's 1986 for the rest of my life.

prefacelift imo looks meaner, theres a reason they never facelifted the m3

what country do you come from?
even a turd worlder like me still can can find some

user double breast suits died for a good reason. You only see 80+ yr old lawyers wearing those nowadays

E30 has a sealed fuse box and plastic fuses. Wiring is honestly not a problem at all on old BMWs. Not like old Volvos.

Of course you would. It's in an autist's blood to be as cringeworthy as possible.

Sex and drugs are still great grandpa, clothes are good if you know what you're doing too.

>t. 19 yo

Sorry for being such a newfag but what's the best version of the e30 to get? Just for every day driving and reliability. I don't know much about cars but I absolutely fell in love with the design of the e30.

And 80+ yr old lawyers are Veeky Forums as fuck

>tfw poorfag pizza delivery driver
>I'll never be able to responsibly get my dream car
>hellrot e30 325is

Life is suffering senpaitachi. Between now and when I will be able to afford one it will be too old and no parts will be available.

Albania
Theres just none in good condition
dont worry about the looks i like it
i just wanna know if the car is good in itself

Not really, no one past 80 is still a lawyer and the ones that are are the most jewish.

Implying that you can buy e30 that is not beaten to shit for less than 10 grand

i had an 87 325is as my first car. bought it for 1600, owned it for 5 years, loved every fucking second of it. only things i ever had to replace where the idle control valve, and the antenna motor. only regret was selling it

holy fuark i just picked up this 92 318 project for 700. god dam i love this color on the verts

E30s are great, ive daily driven mine over 3 years now. Ive done all repairs and upgrades myself with basic tools. They're simple cars, just designed thoughtfully.
Basically you'll be choosing either a 4 cyl or the inline 6, im biased towards the 6. Both have the regular model, suvh as 318i, 325e, and 325i, and a sport model like 318is, 325es, and 325is. The the sport has a Limited slip differential nd nice bucket seats up front, if you can find a nice sport model its worth having that LSD.

>318 convertible
Fucking why?

T. has owned 4 E30s and hands down the least enjoyable car I ever owned was a 325 convertible.

what made it worse than the other e30s?

because convertible E30s are trash

and 318 imples its a 4 cylinder.

325i's are the glorious straight six

-The handling was dogshit in comparison to the other E30s
-The wind noise was atrocious
-It was slower than my 318 sedan because shit-o-matic gearbox
It felt like driving a Chrysler Sebring with an M20. Most of the charm of an E30 is in its lively handling and handsome lines. Take away the handling and make it look weird as hell and you've lost most of the appeal, give it a terrible slushbox and make it slower than a Corolla and it's just some old car which is painful to drive. I cannot imagine driving it with 30 less horsepower and torque.

If there is sown in winter where you live then no.

c-cute

Not that guy, but I'm pretty sure BMW's inline sixes are all timing chain.

my daily is an e39 m5 lol

i got this thing to be slow, and i love the look of e30 verts. only convertible car i like

id say thats a good buy if it was only 1600

nonono, my first car was 1600, the 87 325is (pic related). fuck i miss her :(((((

the lil green 318 was only $900. 130k miles, 0 rust. bought it off some dude in the middle of mississippi who had 0 clue what it was. got if from his brother's estate or some shit