Hey guys, I need some advice here

Hey guys, I need some advice here.

I recently got a Saab 9 5 2004 2.3T Aero, and Im loving it, great car for its price.
But unfortunately it has automatic transmission, and first of all, it kinda ruins the driving for me (its like having sex with a condom on, you feel much less of the car than with a manual), I really miss popping gears by myself, and also wouldnt have a problem with that (some people say about it not being comfortable in traffic etc - this doesnt concern me. The only plus side of an auto is that u can use you cellphone and drink stuff easier with one hand always available, but thats about it).
Also, the automatic transmission cucks the power, I mapped it for around 300 hp, 400 nm torque, and I can feel how the gearbox has troubles with transmitting this torque. Also many times when I want to accelerate fast, the stupid thing wont do it.

As for costs- I think Im gonna get most of it back via selling my auto gearbox, its in a really good condition, so its not that great of an issue. I also know people who would swap it for me. However, there is still some uncertainity in my head so here is my question - tl&dr is it worth to swapp automatic gearbox to manual for increased fun and better acceleration?

you are weird.
i only feel disconnected from a car when it has electric steering. or over-boosted, just as bad

I never drove that, but I imagine that must be horrible. Feeling disconnected is not the worst here, the worst is that I like to accelerate and I just know the gearbox is bottlenecking me hard

turning>acceleration
you dont need control to accelerate, when you are cornering thats when you need all the feedfback.
how can you drive at 9/10 of the cars limit with numb steering and shocks? i feel that manual transmission is vastly over rated in the whole sense of feel in a car. even a flappy paddle does the job just as well.
give me a car with good suspension, manual steering, a balanced weight and good brakes and i wont give a fuck if it has a 3 speed auto

>300HP
>400Nm

H-how?
I have 321HP and 546Nm on my 2004 9-5 Aero (MT)

Well, I mean I'm yet to take it for a test, but thats the values the computer has given. The guys who were tuning it said that 400 nm is the limit of safety to not destroy the gearbox.
Ofc you have a manual with those stats?thats true

Didn't know the tranny was that weak on the manual.
Heck, 370Nm is stock on the Aero.
A $150 ECU Stage 1 tune, and it's 440Nm.

I meant automatic.

yeah, its that weak on the auto (you meant that, right?) Even other guys with whom I drove said its obvious how the gearbox has troubles when I floor the pedal.

Anyways, do you guys think I should go for it? Are there any risks associated with swapping?

Oh oh.
Install OpenSID then.
It's drive-by-wire
With OpenSID you can force the ECU to give almost instant response from the throttle.
I use it on my manual and even then it works.
response is VERY noticeable.

I'll look into that, thank you. But I'm pretty sure, and mechanics told me the same, that the gearbox is cucking the engine. And given into perspective, that with modyfying turbo you can get up to 400 hp, I'm kinda sad about it.

>T7
>400HP
Your pistons are already dead before you know it.
First things first.
Fix rust on hundbenet (front of the rear wheel arc near the bottom of the rear door.

Yeah, that might actually happen. Still around 300-350 hp should be safe, and its the torque I'm more after. I will look into that as well, thanks. Got any more handy advices?

Actually 300HP is the limit for T7 if you DD it.
T7 pistons are hella weak.
You need the SAAB 9000 (T5) pistons if you wanna go above.

well I know that previous owner completely overhauled the engine, I even had to break in the motor, idk what pistons he used, gotta ask him. But I think that due to the transmission Im not even getting the power I have, which should be around 300 to wheels.

Check.
300HP to the wheels is not something you get on that automatic with stock pistons.
Especially with that engine.
Getting it so low on torque is hard as it is.
The B235R is a torqy engine.
Anyway, unless it's using forged pistons or the SAAB 9000 T5 pistons, I'd be real careful with that car.

I'm a retard, by
> But I think that due to the transmission Im not even getting the power I have, which should be around 300 to wheels.
I actually meant
> But I think that due to the transmission Im not even getting the power I have to wheels, which should be around 300.
I mean not the power measured on wheels, but just the power that the engine is producing should be around 300, and the gearbox cant transmit the torque. I will look into the pistons issue for sure though, better safe than sorry.

Would you change the gearbox if you were me?

Indeed.

I had 294HP (320HP tune) and it sadly used stock pistons.
Though it was also an old un-rebuilt engine and it threw a rod.
Thankfully I was quick to turn of the car and coasted off the high-way and on top a parking area.
Block wasn't leaking any oil.

Too much work, too expensive.

The thing is I think I can get most of the money back from selling my current gearbox and as for work I wouldnt do that myself so I'm not worried about it. It's just whether it will all work fine etc. but I think it should, I mean why not, its just a gearbox swapp.

Here a gearbox job would cost around $2500
Considering pic related above was $2100... for me, not chance in hell.

Alright saabro, thanks for all your advices. Long miles for you and your 9 5

This one died at 287XXXKM
My Current one is at 23XXXXKM
Ignore the rims, I use what I posted above on this one as well.