Moving away from parents

I make $12.25 an hour plus $20 to $30/week of passive income. I'm thinking of transferring within my retail wagecuck job to a small-ish city with cheaper rent. Is it possible to make this work without roommates? Rent where I'm looking is around $650 to $800 per month. I'm pretty good at cutting costs, but on the other hand, I've never lived completely independently before.

I live off of $10 an hour, 32 hours a week, but my rent is only $350. I still save about 200 a month.

that is welfare level

I live in rural nowhere.

Yes it is. Doing/did similar. Have a credit line and a plan to raise your income within a few years, or just work more and spend little if you wanna be poor forever.

This. Living in the middle of nowhere cheap af. My only problem is if you aren't self employed you prolly have a shitty job.

You need to look into training/schooling so you can make some decent money. Trust me man, making ~15ish an hour sounds nice and dandy when you're young but it's shit money and gets old fast.

I lived on about 2 bucks more an hour with a rent of 585 a month.

It was pretty easy. I'd make sure the smallish city still has good opportunities, and you still have a good support system.

Certainly doable, especially if you don't have a car loan or credit card debt.

Let's just assume that you've got a roomie you split expenses on a 2 bed apt with, from my own experience monthly bills:

>$40 utilities
>$25 internet
>$75 car insurance
>$120 gas
>$300 internet
>$650
>$100 misc expenses

So about $1110/month total leaving you $300-$400 left over every month to save or spend on entertainment. It's probably a safe bet to plan on working overtime 5-10 hours/week so you have a little extra money.

It's certainly doable but as others have said it will get old fast and you should be looking at getting into a trade or earning a degree for long term career growth.

Also please please please save 3 to 6 months to cover core expenses and function as an emergency fund, that was a mistake I made when I first moved out on my own, and the piece of mind knowing that you have $3300-$6600 saved incase you lose your job, break your car, or have some medical expense come up is immeasurable.

>$40 utilities

Where the fuck do you live, user?

How is that not normal? You think it's high or low?

what about food expenses.

Here in the Netherlands I pay €120 per month. Single guy, 80m2 appartement.

sorta related question, how do you rent out a place when you want to move far away but don't know anyone there?
wouldn't think anyone would rent to someone without meeting them first

Find a real estate broker who manages it for you for a fee.

I've never lived on my own aside from a couple years in a dorm room.

I could never and would never want a roommate

>Always have to be afraid they're going to steal ur stuff
>Probably eat your food
>Probably make a lot of noise or bring annoying people over
>The list goes on

I had a roommate in college who was a complete fucking toolbag and always had his 6 foot 4 gf over in our tiny fucking dorm room

Ended up nearly pounding him into ground, ended switching roommates with a dude who was chill as fuck

I'd rather cut all corners, eat the cheapest food, work many more hrs, then have to deal with a roommates bullshit

Low. Even when I lived in an apartment my utilities were $60 minimum, and they paid for water and sewer. That's with a 750sqft apartment, public utilities, never really running the heat and living in flyover country.

Denver Colorado, water was included in an HoA fee (which was built into our rent), $40 utilities obviously accounted for it being split between 2 people, so it was like $80 total.

Sorry I typoed the $300 that was supposed to be food as internet, so $300 for food (obviously cooking at home).

Rural places have their benefits. Just shop around, find a place that has more pros than cons.

I lived in Grant County, Washington for a bit. Real shit hole. Unless you were skilled labor (there is automated industry and a few computer network type jobs for the microsoft servers) or worked in government, the rest of the labor force was ag seasonal workers or wage cucks at gas stations.

Got fiberoptic T level connection to my apartment for $10 bucks a month as it was a public fiberoptic system the county put in.

Also got the cheapest electricity in the nation, as it was all off the public hydroelectric system.

Literally my living costs were fucking nothing. It was only temporary as I moved on for other work, but places like that exist.

Well, the plan is to expand my alternate source of passive income until it basically replaces the need for a "real" job. This is why I'm willing to move to cheap "uncool" cities: because my potential for growth is mostly internet-based, meaning job availability in the surrounding area isn't as big of a factor.

This all seems logical, thanks for the writeup friend. And yes, I've saved up a big nest egg but I'm just having trouble pulling the trigger.

Yeah, I'm trying to find places that have a good balance between manageable rent while still being somewhat "civilized" (no offense to you country folks).

I know what you mean and I do plan on living alone, but it sounds like your situation wouldn't have been quite as bad if you lived in an actual 2-bedroom apartment rather than a tiny dorm.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys.

No offense taken. Just look at your industry and cost of living versus pay.

I am salaried at X, but I take home Y. In my industry if I fart I get double time. All in all I bring home +/- $85,000-$115,000 a year. I chose to live in a rural location 2 hours from a big city.

Had I chosen to live and work in a big city I would have made $100,000-$130,000 with the same job/title. However, my $125,000 dollar home I purchased would be $500,000.

I enjoy going to Seattle on a long weekend and blowing $2,000 on hotel, shows, bars and a date and still saving more money than had I chose to live in a big city.

Plan your shit out accordingly. I know my friends who opted to go in the suburbs are kicking themselves.