/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba (embed) (embed)

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur (embed) (embed)
>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

stellariswiki.com/Portrait_modding
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can't find the post explaining how to install the Stellaris mods to retards.

Hyperlane tracking is a tech.

Reminder.

Is there any way to change ethics mid game?

There aren't 19 months in the year. Fucking retards.

SPIRITUALIST STRONK
BRING IT ON MATERIALFAGS

C:\Users\NAME\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod

Put them there, you faggot.

How do we fix energy credits?

I really dislike how energy credits are currently handled. They feel like the generic money with very little of the sci-fi or "Energy" part of it. Just paying for maintenance and the occasional tile blocker or special project.

As much as you may see it as silly, I think using energy credits to being able to rush technologies, surveying, or perhaps just production like in civ may be a good option. Fluff wise it makes sense; dipping into the powerful energy reserves of the empire to do huge numbers of calculations or engage all factory cycles. Hell it could even be used in an even less realistic but more fun way to supercharge a fleet, empowering them with excess energy.

At the very least, make it so tile blockers only cost energy credits to remove and not minerals. That way you have something significant to spend them on early game.

While it probably is bait there are legitimately people (Americans) who don't know the rest of the world does it the right way.

What is it with americans putting the months before the days anyway? It's bloody retarded.

Yes, several.

> tfw Vetirisius attacks me
> try to hold them off, just barely able to do so.
> "LET US END THIS" t. Alliance of Umikadra
> Attacks with an ever bigger fleet
> instantly mass spam corvettes
> they take one of my planets, leave it be for now. They will probably go for my main system. Park all of my shit at the edge.
> See the whole fleet move towards it
> have military stations and corvettes there.
> warps in
> shredded by newly upgraded railguns
> destroy the whole attack force

Well, the main difference between Credits in Stellaris and Gold in Civ is that Gold is the main thing you can use to trade with other empires. It's the currency of the game, and it's used as such.

In Stellaris, credits rarely feel like a currency because usually Minerals are the valuable thing being traded. Nobody needs credits. Everybody needs minerals.

Idk man, this country is ass backwards with that kind of shit. However we did get it right with the imperial measurements, at least when it comes to building, using metric when trying to build a house is a pain.

The game is currently priced with a 25% discount until that date correct? Or has Alpha already past ?

Cute cat.

Cultural thing, most Americans would say todays date as April 14th, as opposed to saying the 14th of April, so they write their dates the same way.

Exactly. So it should be used for something else, or at least make some processes take only it and no other resources.

>we did get it right with the imperial measurements
Care to explain how you "got it right" by using the real life equivalent of your own snowflake unit?
Also, we were talking about dates earlier, wanna hear about the first floor of a building too? For EVERYONE ELSE in the ENTIRE PLANET, the first floor is NOT the ground floor.

Isn't that also English? But the English write day/month/year in the shortened form.

Until release day.

If credits could be used to rush something like most 4x game, it wouldn't be stockpiled to uselessness. Minerals only become useless when you can't build faster than you can spend but credits, you only need a small stockpile when you need to terraform and pay the Gypsies and Museum guys for their bonus. I recalled that fleets used to not take minerals as upkeep and cost a ton more in energy so they were important back then for that at least.

I was out of pictures related to strategy and I was afraid of the old thread dying since it was already on page 10.

It doesn't really resolve the issue, but it's a good idea to trade lump sums of resources in exchange for monthly income. Kind of stabilizes your economy.

>ether drake, dimensional horror and spectre all in systems right next to each other

I just found a great system!
It has four asteroids with 8 minerals and one with 6! Isn't that just great?!

Just reading this makes me feel cautious and apprehensive.

The problem with energy is realistically your balance can be literally any fucking number, so long as your income is 1+. Because, like you said, there's basically nothing worth spending it on. The sole exception being that you can go to those trader enclaves and exchange it for the much more valuable minerals at a 2:1 ratio. Rush buying needs to be a thing, not everything in the empire is publicly owned, surely we can hire some private contractors to help build shit, even if it's not an instant completion like regular 4x but just a massive % boost to build time or something. Hell why not edicts that you can pay for with credits, like paying families to have more children to provide a pop growth bonus or something.

I cant speak for all of England but locally we'd say the 14th of April which matches dd/mm/yy format. yy/mm/dd Is also an acceptable written format because there's still a clear logical progression.

Okay how many centimeters is the average doorway in width? Or what fraction of a meter is it? Or fire many millimeters? Cause I can tell you it's 2 feet 6 inches to 3 feet using the imperial system.

Why are you so butthurt over a conversion?

Do you like 4x games with weirder, whackier factions like in Endless series/Sword of the Stars or do you prefer more generic factions with fewer big differences like in Civ or Stellaris?

Some sort of addition to the game recognising the differences between state-run and privately-run economies would be nice.

Although any empire modelling an actual free and unguided market would probably be sector-tier.

>not everything in the empire is publicly owned
>His space empire isn't communist.

It makes sense too. It's just that month/day/year doesn't make any.

>get mad over banter
>"WHY ARE YOU SO BUTTHURT YOU FUCKING NON AMERICAN"
For some reason, I start to understand why Americans are scorned and have poor reputations.

Endless's factions are the best thing about the games I think. Vastly different playstyles between some of them makes new playthroughs seem less repetitive.

Not a part of this conversation but are you guys literally saying

>I can use my measurement system to measure doors
>CAN YOU?!

Because yes, yes he can measure doors.

Name number number is more natural than number name number.

Also in a farming setting, the month is more important than the specific day.

90% of 4x games have energy/gold/currency as a rush build option for a reason, it gives the player who specialized in it flexibility to respond to threats either by dumping into an emergency military or buying off an enemy (Why is energy trading not used for bribing empires into war?). It's use as an upkeep is laughable since you will never go into red except for in early or very late game where you go past fleet cap.

>For EVERYONE ELSE in the ENTIRE PLANET, the first floor is NOT the ground floor.
Americans actually get it right. Why shouldn't the initial floor be the 1st floor? It is the first one. Why effectively designate it a '0th' floor? Why call the second floor the first one, when it actually is the second floor?

That would make sense if 90% of the population were still farmers.

>Americans actually get it right
>everyone else does it differently but we're right
Yeah, sure.

I'm not American, and I always think "Ground Floor, Second Floor, Third Floor." and get lost whenever somebody gives me directions.

Civ 6 for $40 is that a good deal?

the deluxe is $50 atm

>Everyone else
Argumentum ad populum.

Truly an unfortunate hybrid system.

So you don't need to be american to be stupid. That's a discovery.
I learned about that stuff when I was 10. What's your pathetic, flimsy excuse?

>muh urbanite sensabilities dictate that everything has to have an ordered progression and be in base-tens

You need to be crushed.

>using metric when trying to build a house is a pain.
must be so hard knowing what a certain amount of something is compared to a bigger or smaller amount of the same type is.

I want to make a 4x game. How can I make sure it is good?

I would argue that my hybrid system would be the least confusing, if everybody agreed to use it. There's literally no ambiguity.

Lickus my biggus dickus.

If you're bad at math or american, it sure it haaaard to convert.

Beta testing, catering to the "fun" factory, make it feel like you're really leading an empire.

Does anybody here know how to manually add portraits to Stellaris? I like some species from the Distant Worlds Portraits pack, but most of them look like shit and the creator also integrated them into the vanilla sub-groups, instead of just putting them all in their own group.

>>I would argue that my hybrid system would be the least confusing, if everybody agreed to use it.
Of course. But the issue is precisely that NOBODY ELSE uses it, and then said that, americans just reply "muh ad populum" and use the same retarded system just to make themselves speshal snowflakes.
If you want to use your own system, don't come crying when nobody else use it. Or go live as a hermit in the mountain.

Being founded by independent farmers was a big deal in our early history as we established our own identity and separated ourselves from the British cultural sphere. We obviously didn't want to be 'those Brits that pretend they're not Brits'.

It's sort of similar to the reason why words are spelled differently here. Webster published his dictionary first, before Oxford's, and we had absolutely no reason to switch to the British spelling when we already had our own, and it helped give us our own identity regardless.

In imperial:
The wall just got ten feet higher.

In metric: The wall just got the distance light travels in 3/299792458 of a second taller.

>If you're bad at math or american, it sure it haaaard to convert.
>i'm being pointlessly inefficient hurr durr

Damn these Stellaris dlcs cost too much. I would pretty much have to buy the game again

While I've got everybody's attention, I'd like to talk about my wonderful system of measurement that nobody else on earth uses. It's super helpful for measuring doors and heights of walls and converting things to bigger or smaller things.

In metric :
One kilometer is equal to 1,000 meters.

In Imperial :
One elbow is equal to 3,5 feet, or 3,65 feet if it rains, and an arm is equal to 0,3546 feet, or 0,33 if the captain is more than forty years old.

>i am so retarded that I cannot do basic math besides shifting a number in the base-10 system, but if you use a measuring system that isn't toddler-tier i'm going to call you inept at math

The US military uses metric, why doesn't the rest of the country?

>Being butthurt I pointed out your fallacy.
You should've made an actual argument to justify your floor-naming, rather than say that everyone else does it, like peer pressure is somehow an argument.

Why do you want Americans to be like you, anyway?

>the Americans soldiers are actually smarter than the rest of the population
This makes my fanatic pacifist blood boil.

>make it feel like you're really leading an empire.

You mean like how Stellaris does it? Because everyone here seems to hate it.
>What do you mean my biological beings with free will get unhappy if I purge innocent beings or try to resettle them to other worlds? Oh well I'll just go fanatical purifiers LOL EXTERMINATE XD

>tfw you enslave the pops angry at slavery and they're not a problem anymore.

So the deluxe edition of Civ 6 is $50 do u guys think thats a good idea?

>tfw i spent 40 years fighting a gigantic slaver empire wasting hundreds of thousands of minerals for 3 shitty systems

wasnt smart but sure was fun

No, I mean like DISTANT WORLDS, where you have a shitload of civilians ships going around.

You can get a slut for less than that, and you'll get more pleasure from it.

I followed the tutorial on stellaris wiki for that
stellariswiki.com/Portrait_modding

Because certain metric measurements, such as Celsius, are less useful in day-to-day usage, whereas others offer no added advantage over their imperial counterparts. The only time metric is explicitly beneficial is when you need exactness, and indeed in every such field in America, they use metric.

In fact, every student in the United States is taught the metric system during elementary school, and it continues to be reinforced through middle and highschool science classes.

More like autist worlds amirite

>choose sex
Can I pick "yes"?

>The only time metric is explicitly beneficial is when you need exactness
And when you need to convert units.

Yeah well I've actually built houses using both. There are clear defined increments and guidelines you can use with imperial that make it a much faster process while metric requires you to eye the tape measure precisely in order to get the proper length which takes marginally longer but slows the whole process down.

Basically
Imperial has larger intervals per one foot giving the builder an easier time when measuring out specific units while metric has much smaller intervals per one meter that require a more precise measurement.

Maybe you euros are just so used to metric you don't notice but I've used both imperial and metric my entire life due to having immigrant parents and I've found imperial is way more convenient for building.

People keep asking to have migration treaties with me, why would I want this? I can build robots to do jobs and my birds grow reasonably quickly, is there any positive? I'm playing as Fanatic militarist / materialist so I don't think that is something they would do.

So imperial is convenient in one field out of thousands. Good to know.

I myself have built houses for years in hammers, and I think they're a a lot more handy.

>And when you need to convert units.
Not an issue with day-to-day usage, since it's rather simple to memorize the few conversions that need to be done, mainly inches to feet to yards and the whole fluid volume sequence. Nobody is going to bother converting feet to miles in their daily life.

let them in goy diversity is strength

Not a construction worker (thank god) but it sounds like accurately measuring the thing you're building is a good idea.

I wonder what measurement system they used for the Burj Khalifa, Taipei 101, etc etc.

Helps you get pops with different biome preferences without conquering. Not everyone can build robots.

Thanks!

And it's even easier to convert metric units. Literally just remove or add a zero. Even if you're shit at math, you don't even need a calculator.

I wonder what they used back in the days to build the pyramids.

>Fanatic Pacifist.

No wonder you're a retard. Rejecting conflict is inherently anti-nature. You're a complete failure. Pacifism is an evolutionary dead-end. In nature, it's kill or be killed. And despite your little principled stand for pacifism, the bears and lions don't care. They'll eat you anyways.

Same goes with people. Nobody cares that you're a pacifist. You're just making yourself an easy subject who won't fight back. You will have no legacy. Your children will be nothing like you. The entire point of nature, to reproduce, is avoided by you.

There is only one truth you need to know: war. We've been fighting it forever, just on varying degrees of severity. War is how you beat down the chaotic forces of nature. War is how you survive and secure your legacy. A pacifist is never remembered. A war hero is never forgotten.

Don't think for one moment these enemies will treat us nicely. Even if they will this generation, what about the next? How long did the Bretons live in France until the French decided to kill that culture? How long did the Greeks live in Constantinople before the Turks kicked them out? This is the risk you run with pacifism. Unless your enemy is dead, they will ALWAYS have a chance to come back and defeat you. Why even take the risk? It's so incredibly stupid, when your extinction is always on a hair's edge, that you'd take the risk of pacifism.

>americafat mistaking pacifist for non-violent
How embarassing!

I see what you're getting at, but a pyramid is an inherently stable structure. Compare the height and width. A better example for you to use would be some kind of Gothic cathedral, or the Hagia Sofia.

They probably used metric for those since basically everything is going to be custom made.

But when it comes to a house and the standard interior door frame is 6ft 6 inches x 2ft 6inches because that's been the standard for 200 years you're just going to keep using that measurement. Especially since it's a hell of a lot easier to remember than 1981 mm x 762 mm. I know this because I recently had to buy a new door after a small electical fire ruined one
It's also easier for factories to just keep pumping doors out at that size rather than split production for a transition to a new standard when houses using the old size are still going to be around in another hundred years.

I sympathise with the guy on that point, houses are built to last and as such their measurements stick around a lot longer than they would elsewhere.

Yeah, but I actually know what a pyramid is, while I have no idea what a Gothic Cathedral or an Hagia Sophia are.
Plus in Europe, the metric system was adopted late, so they probably used imperial units back then, which explain why so many building collapsed.

>And it's even easier to convert metric units.
Technically, but only the stupidest actually NEEDS that slight bit of extra ease. And for children, there is a short time where numbers like 4 or 16 are way easier to conceptualize than ones like 100.

But regardless, my point is that in daily usage there is no big advantage to metric. Certainly nothing significant enough to overcome cultural inertia. People just don't want to bother dropping imperial entirely, and they don't have any reason to either.

Also, I should mention that some decades ago, the US government wanted to convert to metric, but after determining the cost of replacing all the equipment, tools, and signage, that it's actually much cheaper to stick with Imperial than it is to endure the expensive process of flipping to Metric.

>I wonder what they used back in the days to build the pyramids.
Their basic units of measurement were the rod and cubit. Don't remember the rest of their units.

Rome wouldn't have fallen if they killed all the German tribes 3 centuries earlier. Preventative strikes is almost pacifistic, it's really just an extension of self defense.

But that's my entire point on why pacifism is wrong; you've always got to defend yourself and that means killing all of your enemies, and your potential future enemies. If you can't defend yourself by using preventative strikes, then why CAN you defend yourself when a madman charges you with a knife? Clearly the pacifist must acknowledge that you have the right to shoot the assailant before he actually commits the crime of assault; or else you wouldn't be able to shoot him. And likewise, what's the difference between a few seconds and a few centuries? It's nothing in the cosmological scale.

>only the stupidest actually NEEDS that slight bit of extra ease
But we're talking about americans, so they need all the help.

Oh golly. Talk about unclear units.

That number looks like one of the ones you get when you take a convenient imperial measurement and convert it straight into metric. The same process gets you cans and bottles with bizarre volumes like 461 ml or whatever. If you took a door which had been conceptualised and constructed in Yurop, it would probably be in nice round numbers - probably something like 2m x .75 m.

post ur empires

I already established with you, user, that Americans are all taught Metric in elementary school. The basic, standard units of metric are well-known to everyone. They just don't remember the conversion formulas between imperial and metric and don't possess much of an innate reckoning of size/degree for metric, due to it not being their natural measurement system. But again, they do know it.

Whites have always been good at engineering. That's how they were built. The blacks enslaved the whites in Egypt and forced them to build the pyramids. Do you really think the black pharaohs could of built a pyramid? Do they even do that today?

>pharaohs
>black

So Americans know both but keep using imperial units out of habit.
This is so stupid it's laughable.

>black pharaohs
They never existed, stop with that bullshit. Ramses II was even ginger, the antithese of a nigger.

That's the standard interior door size in England. Because of the aforementioned 200 year old house problem, hell my house was built sometime in the middle of the industrial revolution. It's similar in mainland europe, newer properties are shifting towards more sensible metric measurements like you mention, but all the old buildings still use imperial measurements because they're that old.

That's sort of true of the ones at Giza, since they were built in the 25th Dynasty, but it's not true of all pyramids. Also, Egyptians are related to Arabs and Berbers, so they're not black nor are they white, unless you consider all Caucasoids to be white.

He might be referring to the 25th Dynasty, which is when the pyramids at Giza were build. During this roughly 80 year period, Nubians ruled Egypt due to a conquest they enacted during a period of in-fighting in Egypt. They mostly put themselves in the pharaoh position and a few high priests and let Egyptians rule themselves otherwise. They did get kicked out, though, and that period was the ONLY one where blacks ruled in Egypt.

"Sensible"

*sips NPR mug*
i can't believe that i have to deal with these problematic imperial units. how dare someone use units that don't satisfies the decimal cult? I literally am oppressed every time i walk through my own door oh my goodness.

>This is so stupid it's laughable.
Why? There's just no benefit for them to switch, and as I said, there's no government pressure either because it costs more to switch everything to Metric than it does to switch to Imperial.

Honestly, give it another fifty years maybe, and people will use Metric here for the most part, maybe keeping one or two imperial measurements in common usage like the Brits did. It's already becoming more popular slowly. Within my lifetime, liters have become the standard measurement for most large amounts of fluids over gallons, as an example.

>blacks in control of a prosperous country
>kicked out after letting people do what they wanted
Assuming you're not lying, it's FUCKING HILARIOUS. Sadly, retards will still believe the black pharaohs meme.

Even through the only black pharaoh deserving a mention is Nyarlatothep.

Only if you're a degenerate who buys soda by the 2-liter bottle.

Everyone buys milk by the gallon you idiot.

I also shudder to think of being forced to buy half or one or two liter milk containers. utterly digusting.