/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread: >173665108

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

theriebel.de/tboirah/
youtube.com/watch?v=6CiOK0Zir0I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shit OP image

Also
Last thread

Thank you.

What is that supposed to be?

>page 9

Pixelart of the 9th peisode of kemono friends.
t already go a fangame but that looks way too edgy for me.

Ha, Kemono. Isn't that the anime with the lesbian who does bestiality with animals that she imagines as humans or something?

You must be thinking of something else.

I dunno, the one doujinshi I read about it was pretty straightforward.

I always knew servals were huge perverts.

Anybody had issues with XB1 Wireless pads under the Creators Update for W10?

Cant keep it connected.

I use wired and don't have that creator update yet. Try plugging it in?

What is that image from?

It's "Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?"

A web novel that got adapted in a manga. It's intended to be another deconstruction of the "NEET gamer find himself reincarnated in a RPG world and make everyone his bitch" fad. The writing is decent, the translations are pretty shitty, and the manga makes the spider way too cute as opposed to the disgusting monster she is in the novel.

Its too cute.
I cant resist.

You fool. That's exactly how that spider captures her victims (readers) : by being adorable and helping you fight your arachnophobia.

It almost worked for me.

It reminds me of Hollow Knight, kinda

Hollow Knight? The one in ?

What is it even about? Just don't tell me it's 2D Dark Souls, I already tried Salt and Sanctuary and it was shit.

>2D Dark Souls
Heh, no, I wouldn't say those two are comparable at all (aside from a few elements here and there in the settings).
It's a cute and immensely melancholic metroidvania that features bugs and a lot of mystery. Ever played Aquaria? Very much like it, except more melancholia.

It's challenging and fun. Has a few flaws here and there, but considering how little money the Kickstarter needed it's crazy impressive.
Give it a go if you like metroidvanias, and if you don't find the price to steep.

I dunno, I loved the Metroid Prime games, but the last time I played a "challenging" game, it was Furi. My butt hasn't recovered yet.

Positively mobadis.

Oh, Metroid Prime actually isn't a "metroidvania" (despite the title. ..I know it's a bit odd)

A metroidvania is--akin to the classic Metroid and Castlevania games--a platformer with a focus on expansive map exploration and power-ups that change gameplay, enabling access to new areas, which in turn incites backtracking and hunting for secrets and collectibles.
(Hollow Knight is a bit extra heavy on the platform-technical side, though, with certain places demanding very tight control.)

Hey! Heh, you're probably still drawing for /hkg/ aren't you.
I didn't have time to keep up, so I came over to /indie/ instead. Hope /hkg/ is still as cozy as ever

>2nd bit
Actually, I'm just reposting my favorite.
I'm the guy who did the linework and flats for all those Hornet-booty shots.

And Metroid Prime was a platformer with a focus on expansive map exploration and power ups that change gameplay, enabling access to new areas, which in turn incites backtracking and hunting for secrets and collectibles.
And it's in 3D.

Whoo! Well I remember you too, heh

Well, there's no set-in-stone definition, sadly, but if you go by popular connotative usage, most people by far associate it with platformers (as per the classics), but yeah, I guess Metroid Prime meets many of the criteria, yeah

So I've been looking around for good explanations on why Yooka-Laylee is a bad game and I found this detailed dissection. This gets at the heart of the game's issues

The response to that better be just "Kay."

What kind of fucking maniac would write that much as a reply to a youtube comment

Someone who made an entire video that doesn't mean a single thing because he couldn't be bothered to make sense.

Post your Isaac playtime and what you have left to do
theriebel.de/tboirah/

Holy shit, I didn't think YT could get that big.

293 hours, haven't touched + yet and never will.

I think I'm done with Isaac. + sucks and the games only going to get more bloated.

>thinking that a popular youtuber covering a game will at all make it more popular
Dont forget that when Airscape was covered by JackEpticEye, even though his video got half a million views initially this only generated 20 sales. A mediocre and unappealing game in an oversaturated market will not succeed even with mountains of marketing

Fuck indies and fuck pixelshit

I got 80 hours which was mostly played while watching streams.
I did all challenges and beat satan/isaac with everyone and then just used SAM to unlock all achivements because I was sick of the game but still feelt the collection urge.

>I had a shit tv so everyone else must have too!

Hollow Knight is literally the best game in that list, Snake Pass comes close.

>tfw you've been missing Hempuli's streams

Feels bad man

Those aren't just harsh scanlines certain tvs had, man. Those are arcade-machine scanlines. No way around those back in the day, I'm afraid (at least not at first, anyway)

>arcades used TV screens
Idiot. What emufag numale indie devs think retro games looked like is nothing at all how it looked on anyones TV

Hollow Knight isnt inspired by Dark Souls. Actually is a very uninspired game

You should stay on /pol/ with the retard lingo.

You sound butthurt.

nu
male

Maybe they know and just don't care.

This. A lot of people are bashing Yooka-Laylee but criticisms are generalized too much because reviewers are trying to summarize a dozen big things wrong with the game in a single review, whereas some people are coming out and elaborating on the specific scenarios that make Yooka-Laylee a failure as a BK successor.

At least that one bothered to write complains that make sense.
There's no point in saying that "it's not the same thing", it's too general and unless you played both games, you won't understand.

that's true. Most of the detailed reviews have been from BK fans and although I get it because I have played BK, other people might not get it

I personally never played it, so the only part from his critic that I understood was when he complained about the logic in the game.

All this talk of Collectathons and you'd think Poi would get more attention. Its kinda bland and mediocre but it stims all the SM64 sensori

youtube.com/watch?v=6CiOK0Zir0I

TotalAsscancer and several other ecelebs made a big fuss about how google plus broke youtube since you could put the entire magna carta or declaration of independence in a single comment.

>mfw the very first 3D platformer I played was Sonic 3D Blast
>totally disgusted me from playing 3D platformers until I tried Mario Sunshine on Gamecube

I get the feeling it's the sort of situation Matthewmatosis would enjoy laying out and going through in detail (if he found the game interesting enough to spend time on in the first place, but that's up to him).

Poi's first level literally feels like they ripped the first level of Sunshine and then redesigned it into its own thing. Not necessarily bad, but weird.

Kind of like the look of this. Looks like the level design is focused on 3Dness and everything I liked about Mario Galaxy

Only played the first world but I agree with how the level design so far isnt intuitive.
I played Banjo when I was 7 and could easily figure out where all the NPCs were without thinking hard since the design was that intuitive. In Yooka Laylee I had trouble finding Trouser Snake once I found enough quills and once I found him I had no idea where rextro's arcade or the transformation doctor were.
The mechanic of using pagies to expand unlocked worlds makes this all worse and compromised the level design.
Toybox had the same problem but that was just a testing ground. The final game shouldnt feel like things were just strewn about.

A Hat in Time also copy pasted Sunshine for it's challenge levels

>When displayed through a grainy, pixelated screen, games don't look the same as their base assets rendered through a high resolution screen.

Gee, ya don't say. Did you know that when you view a movie on a cellphone screen that it isn't as good as on a big screen tv?

Just a little life hack for you.

Anybody got an image of The Batter drinking coffee?

What's /indie/'s take on the original Cave Story?

yeah yeah i like cavern legend

a standout when it was released, still a good game today!

Don't feel bad about paying money for the remake

We indie gamers owe to it.

The original is one of the few *real* modern retro games (it fits on a fucking floppy and runs on a literal toaster), not just a piece of modern bloatware with retro aesthetics.

Get up /indie/!

It's time to do the funny bone dance

>Remade with popular characters to make it 'relatable'
>Watermarks
>HankHill_jpegquote.mov

What is the Eye of Argon of indie games?

Castle in the Darkness

Undertale

watch out for spooky

This game has got some fun-ass synergies.

>fun-ass synergies
Now I kind of want a game with fun ass-synergies

I like pairing Thunderclap with Spicy Curry for a little bit of shock and awe.

>They're back
Oh boy.

>ESA2
Wut?
Is there a timeframe on the sequel, by the way?

Also, how would people rate ESA compared to, say, Axiom Verge (or any metroidvania, really)?

>ESA
Better than Axiom Verge by a good bit.
As a Metroidvania in general, 7/10.

It just seems so simple. For some I have this notion that it's really short, and more like a flash-based game or something.
How long is it, and how much stuff in total is there?

The games werent meant to be played on LCD TV which werent even available for consumers at the time.
Its no different than some indie game dev in 2070 making a retro 3D film thtas entirely two images side by side, ignoring that anyone playing a 3D or VR title would have technology to give them the proper image instead of unwatchable stacked visuals.
You state that things look different on different hardware as if its obvious but it isnt, people seriously think that the games are supposed to look like this and the majority of indie games reflect this.
Then that sucks, but its not surprising since almost none of these nostalgiabait retro games resemble the classics whose coattails they try to ride on in visuals, level design, or audio.
Shovel Knight took small liberties with scrolling backgrounds and increased sound channels, but its an entirely different thing to purposely make shitty graphics and claim its retro when retro games did not look like that at all.

*a retro 3D game that's

>how long
I've been meaning to get back into it since I never finished it, but this is how long it took me to beat the main game plus quit on finishing the Lab, one of the post-game areas. I got every upgrade, almost every data-log, and killed every main boss.
It's quite enjoyable for the most part and it has some of the best sequence-breaking of any Metroidvania I've played.

Herp.

1) shit on indies who do pixel art
2) shit on indies who slap a CRT shader onto pixel art
3) 100% of pixel art is "pixelshit"

Damn.. I know it's stupid to judge a game based on its immediate appearance, but even though i love metroidvanias, something about the graphics just didn't get my fancy.
I'm definitely going to try it out, thanks

I actually rather feel the opposite. Despite being pixelshit, it carries itself really well and conveys ideas well.

That's good to hear. I'll probably start on it right now, in fact.
(Better late than never. Serves me right for being subconsciously prejudgmental, really.)

It was pretty good

It still is pretty good, to be honest
I've played Kero Blaster and Momodora 3 and they were quite bland in comparison to Cave Story

>watching some guy (TheSparrowsJourney) play through Rain World, because I don't have time to play it
>he doesn't understand any clues or hints at all
>doesn't try stuff out like a proper slugcat
>misses obvious clues
>can miss blatantly obvious stuff on screen for up to ten seconds
>Doesn't know what to do with Moon
>Throws spear at her
>"HUH?"
>Then eats some of her sprites
>"HUH? I don't think it likes it though.."
>Eats the rest of them
>...
>He's not deliberately malicious, just obtuse and a fucking moron
I have never known saltiness like this. Not from any cringy youtuber, nor any other game.
I'm actually swearing aloud in spergy fits now and then. I wonder if it's because of me, or if it's because of Rain World.

Don't know.

Have you ever seen a game where almost every line is an overly-descriptive mess of adjectives that end up making no fucking sense, blatant malapropism, or both?

No really, I want to know if someone unintentionally made a game like that.

>give up on Sausages puzzle that's some real bullshit
>leave to do something else with game still on
>come back, randomly donk a key, I actually had solved it just before leaving
Okay then.

Theyre not the same as last time. These won't prevent you from charging or dashing

Well, that's actually reassuring. gonna go have some pasta now.

It takes a special brand of stupid to get people like that.

/indie/ is dead. Long live /indie/!

Don't watch DarkSydePhil.
It's worse, and all his "fans" are saying he's just pretending to be retarded.

DSP is playing rainworld?
Shit, if that TheSparrowsJourney guy is bad at it, just how bad is DSP?

Not reainworld, but he tried Furi.
To his credit, he reached the sniper.