/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Beastmen edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date and pointless):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/q4dqgKxg
kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Ch-033--Sea-Serpent--Part-II-?id=363327
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I want to strike that moth. Am i degenerate?

>that chest

not at all m8

here have some elf slaves for compensation

pastebin.com/q4dqgKxg

Some migrants have arrived, despite the danger.

No, you're probably just an elf.

I actually really miss the ability to tell migrants to fuck off. How are they just walking in like they own the place?

I want to strike it too, with my +bismuth bronze halberd+

do some elves jerk off to people cutting down trees?
like some forbidden, perverse fetish shunned by elven society

>the taboo of carving a wooden dildo instead of growing one naturally.

>carving

sick fuck

What are you working on today, /dfg/?

Making adamantine armor and weapans for my future adventurers

a hangover

>my_first_well.png
What is the framerate like?

a bridge. over a minimoat with wooden spikes on the deeps.

Working on a Far East mod, inspired by Drew's Qing dwarves from the last thread. I know that I want to have Ming China, Lê dynasty, Japan, Manchu, and a generic Euro civ, but I'm not sure if I want to assign one of DF's races to each of them or just make them all humans.

Also what color scheme is that? It looks really good, but your framerate must be absolutely glacial.

easter preparations and equipping my militia

It's only 16-20 usually, but when I'm priming the plumbing it drops to 7-8. Or at least it did this time. I've also got merchants on the map and a webbing FB chasing bugbats in a partially-magma-flooded cavern on top of the usual fps eaters.

Or even worse,
Carving a wooden onahole.

This is what you're gonna do
All of them are human, but have different traits and gaits and culture/weapons/armor
Mod hilarious objects for each civ

[BLACK_R:2]
[BLACK_G:1]
[BLACK_B:16]
[BLUE_R:4]
[BLUE_G:81]
[BLUE_B:140]
[GREEN_R:93]
[GREEN_G:109]
[GREEN_B:6]
[CYAN_R:12]
[CYAN_G:79]
[CYAN_B:76]
[RED_R:142]
[RED_G:40]
[RED_B:0]
[MAGENTA_R:131]
[MAGENTA_G:0]
[MAGENTA_B:52]
[BROWN_R:114]
[BROWN_G:89]
[BROWN_B:58]
[LGRAY_R:51]
[LGRAY_G:69]
[LGRAY_B:85]
[DGRAY_R:17]
[DGRAY_G:35]
[DGRAY_B:52]
[LBLUE_R:0]
[LBLUE_G:176]
[LBLUE_B:238]
[LGREEN_R:166]
[LGREEN_G:176]
[LGREEN_B:0]
[LCYAN_R:72]
[LCYAN_G:255]
[LCYAN_B:184]
[LRED_R:206]
[LRED_G:73]
[LRED_B:1]
[LMAGENTA_R:239]
[LMAGENTA_G:150]
[LMAGENTA_B:207]
[YELLOW_R:255]
[YELLOW_G:183]
[YELLOW_B:77]
[WHITE_R:230]
[WHITE_G:245]
[WHITE_B:247]
It's vherid dark sand with a few tweaks.

Good luck with your mod, that sounds cool. I don't know why no one has thought to use DF's creature system to model real world ethnicities/nationalities before.

Explain.

>I don't know why no one has thought to use DF's creature system to model real world ethnicities/nationalities before.
because it has been done newfriend
In this very general we had some user who modded in different civs and guns for the imperial european era

>Chuan gif
man, love me some Chuan. Always fun to watch

>Can't rape elves yet

Shit game

Whatever happened to Napoleonon? Did he ever post his work here?

why?
just googled him. seems a normal fat asian playing dota 2

>yet
legit talking, I really settle down for a game with the real possibility of elven rape in a semi close future instead of the definitively elven-rape free shit games we get today

I reckon he did, let me check it up
I'll tell you if I have it or not

Teach me how to stop screw pumps from eating my dwarves, please Urist-senpai.

Oh, right. I remember that. It was kind of a flash in the pan, though.

He's been in the dota scene for years and his support plays are really good

A lot of Timbuks drawings make me want to strike hard.

Explain your problem better and I'll tell you how to fix it.

Its a joke about one of the two most common beginner ways to lose your first fortress.
no.1 being starvation/dehydration
no.2 setting up your first well/fresh water source without knowing that pressure was simulated in this game (or how to depresurize flowing water), so when someone uses the well the entire fortress gets flooded in a blink drowning everyone.
>pic related

There is a screw pump, set to pump water from the north. There are open spaces all around the screw pump except for one space north which is a channel. One z-level underneathe the screw pump is water. A pump operator starts the screw pump and is swept into the channel by the pumped water and drowns in the reservoir.

Oh, might have to check it out then, thanks

his relatively small ammount of females and perturbed/shocked soldiers pisses me off

Hey drew, if you are there, please draw a close up image of a hottie human with ptsd
Like, a portrait of a sexy/elegant woman trying to drown his nightmares sitted at a bar, sorrounded by bottles of sunshine

I will always owe you one

Am I the only one who finds this young thread to be extra comfy for no aparent reason?
Such peace, such friendship, why is it?

I want to pet that moth.

It's a slow thread with a small amount of posters. Those are always comfy.

I dunno, motherfucker.

Anyways, what would be some fun Adventure mode builds to do? I wanna do something very stupid for a run.

>open spaces all around the screw pump
That's your problem. It pumps faster than the water will fall down a single channel. So the water spreads from the output tile, eventually spreading to the passable tile of the pump that dwarf stands on to operate it, thence pushing the dwarf off the pump. Use walls or something similarly impassable to divide the output side of the pump from the dwarf-usable side.

Maybe try a captain america build? just run around with a shield and punching/bashing people's heads in.

Macemen are fun also. I just run around beating hands and feet until they give in to the pain and leave them there for a bit before I bash their head in.

>start as a hearthsman in a local ruler's employ
>get an order to kill a bandit group causing trouble in our hamlet
>go over there, start a fight with them
>midfight, a crossbowman I hadn't seen missed me and hit an enemy
>sprint over there and kill him immediately
>finish the fight, head back to the lord
>he spits at me the moment I talk to him, says I'm a protector of the defenceless, not that it matters since I'm a murderer
>apparently the crossbowman was not a bandit, but an ally
Whoops. Well, now what? Do I just leave for another village? They're not hostile, but they won't talk to me unless I do the bypass-greeting thing. At least all the spit I'm blocking and dodging is good for my skills though.

Thanks.

While it will never be explicitly available in the game, I have no doubt that, like beards on dwarves, Toady sneakily will allow us to mod it in, should people search hard enough for the correct adjustments to be made.

Chuan isn't such a fatty anymore, dude lost a lot of weight recently.

Play a tick man and name yourself The Succ. Post results.

Kill them all.
They betrayed your trust because of a simple misunderstanding.

Then make figurines out of their bones.

What about Lang?

I could, I guess, but I don't want there to be too many different civs and they probably wouldn't be very mechanically different from Lê since I can't give them elephants.

>can't give them elephants
Cant you just make elephants domestic animal for that civilization?
Or model it like trolls are for goblins, so they bring them to battle.

Aliens when?

I want my dwarves to be abducted and come back raving lunatics in need of permanent hospitalization

No, sadly. I could either give them to everybody using one of the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] categories, or make Lan Xang into an evil race and give elephants [SLOW_LEARNER] and [EVIL]. It's not really a generalizable system, sadly.

>tfw you can't marry different races yet

You could try modding them in yourself desu

Fuck elves

>make Lan Xang into an evil race and give elephants [SLOW_LEARNER] and [EVIL]

I dont see a problem with this, you plan to have all factions at war with each other by default?
Or were you hoping for diplomatic reasons for war/peace so its random every world generation?
Not sure what else [EVIL] token adds, couldn't find the details on the wiki.

post fighting arenas

why is adamantine so rare & difficult to find?

why shouldn't it be?

having a good late-game metal that won't show up without a good bit of digging is one of the last traces of actual gameplay progression left in the game.

I always make sure to name my companions "Best Friend 1", "Best Friend 2", etc...

Helps avoid confusion.

Does running water make the z-level below it damp?

IT HAPPENED AGAIN!

fucking weremooses.

Well, I haven't opened up DF today, but yesterday I was building an apparatus to test a component of a system I intend to build to allow me to automate having my dwarves make large numbers of prepared meals that look like:
minced prickle berry seeds, minced barley flour, minced donkey milk, minced blue peafowl intestines
instead of:
minced prickle berry seeds, minced prickle berry seeds, minced prickle berry seeds, minced prickle berry seeds.

If successful, I should be able to use it for various other purposes as well, in theory making my dwarven society far happier and more productive.

>pic
Is that the same one I saw a few weeks ago or are you doing that again?

that reminds me I need to build a labyrinth again to screen out the infected or *vampires* for migrates

Again. We have a lot of plumbing, and I've been tweaking it a lot to get it right.

I've done a kitchen system like you're describing. You can do it pretty easily by setting up 4-n single-tile no-barrel food stockpiles linked to your kitchen that take from your main food stockpile. Make each of them accept only a specific food category, or even a specific food item (like if you want goose and ostrich egg omelets or something). If you intend to use barreled stuff (milk, syrup, mog juice) you'll need to use 2-tile stockpiles, as you'll have to allow barrels and dwarves always place one empty barrel in any stockpile that allows them. It's a great way to get food variety and it can be pretty easily customized after the initial setup if you want to make specific recipes.

1. Lock the front door.
2. Quarantine and leave to starve every fucker that got bitten.
3. ???
4. Profit!
Dont fuck around with were-beasts if you dont know what you are doing.
I once had a Werezebra jump over a wall, and get into my courtyard.
He broke the first dwarf in half, took his pig-fiber cloth robe, then went full Jackie Chan on 45 other dwarves.
To be honest, it was fucking hillarious, I placed those robes in the center of my fortress and built a beautiful garden around them, it was my most treasured artifact, it even had the whole 'k'ill list on it, heh.

would be more jackie chan if he'd used a stepladder and a dwarven infant.

Still, cool story.

I hate it when some git gets a lucky shot in and bruises my spinal tissue, but I'm always weirdly proud if I manage to bite him to death before I suffocate. Win-lose I guess.

Also, bronze or silver for armor? Silver's really heavy, but really good for protection, isn't it?

It's not possible to make armor out of silver without mods.

Unfortunately no step ladders, I turned all the forest into charcoal and ate only mushrooms, no fancy fruits for my bearded fuckers.
There were babies involved though, but there were no match for Jackie-zebra.

wait I thought werebeast didn't have to eat or drink after being infected?

Its like a witch test.
Tie a rock to a witch and throw her in a river, if she dies she wasn't a witch.

Same principle with the dwarf, if he starves to death, he wasn't infected, problem solved.
If he turns, he cant kill half of your fort, recruit and atom-crush him later, problem solved.

A female dwarf with a baby turning into a werebeast while hauling a stepladder away from the carpenter's shop might do it. Male dwarfs can't carry babies right now.

>hitting someone so hard with a robe that their head smashes in or straight up explodes

What said, and no it's terrible as an armor material generally, though it does okay against blunt attacks despite its softness due to its density.

They still get hungry and thirsty, but their hunger and thirst counters are reset every time they transform.

>not sacrificing the migrants for the good of the fort
It's like you want a werebeast or vampire to murder everyone

>I want to strike that moth. Am i degenerate?

Hey Bzz Boy!

stop fucking gaia!
no! no!
bad fae!

i don't care what people say, building an aquaduct is HARD

>dig a hole
>put floodgates
>attach floodgates to levers
>pull lever
>aquaduct!

I built an aqueduct.

It got hit by the exploding-populations-bug and the water pressure at the end, despite the cistern I built and filled up there, was crap. T.T

Started by filling a neat triangle river canyon by obsidianizing the river/building a cistern and pressure chamber.

I want to be raped by kobolds

So, I wish I was an artist so I could redo Meshi and add beards back to all those poor mutilated dwarf girls.
kissmanga.com/Manga/Dungeon-Meshi/Ch-033--Sea-Serpent--Part-II-?id=363327

Sadly it wasn't as epic a flood since the water traveled across several screen edges and I didn't have dfhack available to make river mouths at the camp edges.

I'm using a Wanderer's Friend derivative, Adventurecraft. It allows you to make armor out of any metal.

soo what's coming up in terms of features in the current version & the next one,is toady doing magic & myths at the same time or is that still aways off from the upcoming release?

>Firebreathing giant mite forgotten beast comes
>feeling cocky, send my troops against it
>it keeps setting the cavern on fire. Guys refuse to go into the smoke, die one at a time until over half my military is gone
>One hammerdwarf dodges into a cavern pool
>the mite follows him in
>the fire just makes steam, he blocks or dodges around it
>they fight for several in-game days, underwater, while the guy is drowning
>he fucking kills it and walks out unharmed
>check his stats
>see this
Guess I hit the jackpot.

Unfortunately the FB isn't on his kill list. I guess it counted as being drowned? And next time I guess I shouldn't engage it in the caverns. The wildfire killed way more guys than the thing itself.

notice only one survives the attack because they fell into the river

this is nightmare fuel

whats the optimal bedroom design

>update stuff

Uh, why was that spearbold wandering off with the zombies?

>worldgen historical items
>worldgen dwarven artifacts generation
>worldgen other artifacts generation
>indepth artifact interaction -> passing down bloodlines, stealing them, quests for them, fucking up the whole villages just to aquire a sacred skull
>various demons and beasts can target and loot such artifacts
>WAY better generated dwarf fortresses layouts
>new kobold maps
>non-player heroes taking artifact and stolen children quests
>better enhanced rumor/witness simulation, now allows spying and disguising
>lying skill is activated now
>various spies and agents that collect information, trying to fade in with the crowd, faking identity
>associating reputation with identities
>you can lie you're a bad guy and get fucked
>new cool WORLD MAP instead of useless civilization screen with all sorts of information: population, diplomacy, government etc
>can send your dwarves out of world map to rob in conquer
>not really, but you can retrive stolen or new(stolen by you) artifacts and rescue children
That's so far in the new update. Magic and myths right after that

Do people still drink whatever you give them in a goblet?

So what's your adventurin' music /dfg/?

Once you've become a grand master fighter/wrestler/swordsman, vampire, and necromancer what's left to do in the world. Nothing is a challenge anymore. Is this what becoming a jaded super villain is like? I one shot pretty much anything I come across unless I purposefully make the attacks quick so that they don't cause too much damage.

It's time to take over the world.

Conquer a large human town and retire.
Or try to exterminate the population of some civilization.

Go to a dark fotress and make it to the bottom. Down the purple staircase and see how long you can survive