World War 1 thread

>"Anyone who has not seen these fields of carnage will never be able to imagine it. When one arrives here the shells are raining down everywhere with each step one takes but in spite of this it is necessary for everyone to go forward. One has to go out of one's way not to pass over a corpse lying at the bottom of the communication trench. Farther on, there are many wounded to tend, others who are carried back on stretchers to the rear. Some are screaming, others are pleading. One sees some who don't have legs, others without any heads, who have been left for several weeks on the ground..."

Letter from a soldier of the 65th Infantry Division, July 1916.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BEY7Ton1gO4
youtube.com/watch?v=yGkyhaMdpto
bbc.co.uk/guides/z3kgjxs
youtube.com/watch?v=LcydejfvpY4
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3sbyesGcUE
youtube.com/watch?v=83PIagsK4po
youtu.be/cPk21C0Wpkg
youtube.com/watch?v=u3bs2oIyDSs
panoramio.com/user/8154165/tags/WW1 in the Dolomites
youtu.be/Kqba0IUdiBk
youtube.com/watch?v=6iGEiY6wvDo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thread's theme song.

youtube.com/watch?v=BEY7Ton1gO4

>metal

whats wrong with metal

What country were they from?

youtube.com/watch?v=yGkyhaMdpto

Isn't there a research going on right now where they try to find out how long the troops exacty had to spend time in the front line? Because they don't know for fure about that.

Metal is cringe worthy fedora-tier music. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy metal and claim to have good taste.

its the anime of music

I was expecting a period piece and got this bullshit.

It varied by country.

bbc.co.uk/guides/z3kgjxs

the war that literally broke western civilization

> We had come from lecture halls, school desks and factory workbenches, and over the brief weeks of training, we had bonded together into one large and enthusiastic group. Grown up in an age of security, we shared a yearning for danger, for the experience of the extraordinary. We were enraptured by war.

That's not the 30 years war

? they know, why wouldnt they
this isn't a centuries+ old event
this happened in the last hundred years and we have plenty of records

So it's good?

Some is good but most is horrible

Wew lad

youtube.com/watch?v=LcydejfvpY4

I was already in the army when the war broke out. And went to France on August the 13th, 1914.

You people over here don't realise what our boys went through in those days. That march from Mons was a nightmare, unless you've been through it you can't imagine what an agonizing time it was.

We used to do from 20 to 25 miles a day. There was only one thing that could cheer us up on the march, and that was singing.

We're here because we're here, because we're heeerre youtube.com/watch?v=LcydejfvpY4

Overrated and liked by people with poor taste.

Should have chosen Iron Maidens 'Paschendale' - lyrically far more beautiful and thoughtful than Sabaton.

did you make these?

Nope, but I have many saved

I love how Britain endlessly whines to this day despite not losing as many men as Germany and not having the war in their homeland, like France and Belgium.

Oh, but their struggle and their losses were so profound.

Back to /mu/, faggots.

its probably because the brits had never fought a war like that they were generally in some far away place against an inferior foe

>endlessly whines
I wouldn't call it whining, but then I'm not a malignant /int/poster.

The 30 years war didn't sign the decline of the continent, it was merely a drawback, and not even for every nation involved

Tell me about Japan's involvement in ww1 and why Wilhem was so annoyed at the idea of losing to them.

Also tell me about the battle of Baku, the caucuses campaign and Azerbaijan

Japan occupied German-held Tsingtao and all their Pacific colonies, which they got to keep most of. They helped Britain with a colonial uprising and tried to take advantage of the great powers distraction by trying to increase their influence in China. That didn't work out. They did a bit in Siberia during the Russian Revolution
They also sent some ships to the Mediterranean.
Basically they gained some land and respect from the other great powers with no real loss

They also made a lot of money through exports, just like the US did

Lol, the British Empire lost alot of troops, what are you talking about?

Lol, stay mad continental shill.

>implying.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3sbyesGcUE
I actually agree with your post though.

going over the top bantering with my mates while carrying my Ross rifle

oh shit im dead now

To be fair, WW1 was the first (and only) war Britain really fought
Before that (Spanish Succession, Seven Years War, Napoleonic Wars...etc) they'd just cower on their island and let their allies do all the work
WW1 traumatized them so much that they went back to their old habit of letting their allies do all the work in WW2.

This isn't even wrong, it's beserk. Google 'the 19th century'.

youtube.com/watch?v=83PIagsK4po
a better option

>It will all be useless.--Clemenceau
>This is not a peace deal, it is a twenty year armistice.--Foch
>I cried. I wanted to die.--Vittorio Orlando
WW1 was so depressing that even the peace conference felt like a tragedy while it was happening.

You have to bear in mind the annihilation of the British imperial worldview, the discrediting of the established church for its role in propagandizing for the war, the devastation of its landed families, recognition for the first time of what the industrial age meant, and what British workers had learned to live with over much of the preceding century... that, far more than simply the casualties, is what changed Britain permanently. All of British history since has been formed by that war.

But the thirty years killed mostly germans, which means that europe had time to prosper before those germ*ns had a time to recover and unite into an """empire"""

When I say "war" I mean against equally developped foes
Of course they could machine gun a bunch of spears-wielding niggers without needing allies

seriously that meme is getting old, britain engaged enemy forces all over the world during most of the wars you mentioned, with british forces engaging and more frequently than not defeating french forces on battlefields from canada and the carribean to india and egypt to spain france, germany and the low countries

sure britain was primarily a naval power, managing to achieve a level of naval dominance by 1815 that was unprecedented at that time and indeed only matched by the USN since

Google "Kitchener's Army" and how the opening day of the 1916 Somme offensive went down.

Real thread theme youtu.be/cPk21C0Wpkg

>britain engaged enemy forces all over the world during most of the wars you mentioned, with british forces engaging and more frequently than not defeating french forces
They fought in a bunch of secondary theatres that had limited impact on the outcome of the wars, usually against foes who were by far numerically inferior (and often had a hard time defeating them even then). It counts as fighting, but can hardly be compared to the massive efforts the powers on the continent undertook on a regular basis

I live in north of France near Vimy, there are loads of military cemeteries with thousands of crosses of all nationalities involved. This is so sad.

>it was so horrifying a whole generation was just wasted away i'm only in high school and watched something about WW1 on youtube :^(

Fact: The majority of soldiers in WW1 never even saw combat, something that had never been seen in history before WW1.

The troops hated that song by early 1916.

This was closer to what they sang as they marched or did fatigues:

youtube.com/watch?v=u3bs2oIyDSs

>They fought in a bunch of secondary theatres that had limited impact on the outcome of the wars
except they were decisive in forcing the french to accepting that the french and spanish crowns must be seperate, and had the allied claimant not died of unrelated causes would have put him on the spanish throne, stripped france of most of her overseas empire and were the sustaining force of the napoleonic wars

and in the spanish succession it was a british general in command of anglo dutch forces that won most of the major battles and campaigns

seriously I know Veeky Forums is rabidly anglophobic most of the time and bizarrely francophilic but you dont get to be a major empire and arguably the first global super power without kicking someones teeth in on land as well as sea

Austrian soldiers in the Dolomites,

Austrian outposts

Through 1916 and 17, the Austrians dug their bunkers into glaciers overlooking Italian positions. They would even dig tunnels to launch attacks from through the ice.

Reading fear by gabriel chevallier
Good book Lads

The Castelletto was garrisoned by Austrians even after the fall of the overlooking peaks. Separated from the mountains by 100 yards of open rock, the Italains attemped to blow the entire rock. The hard granite held, blowing up the narrow neck before the attack, Italian infantry charged into the smoking crater. Between Austrian machinegun fire and noxious fumes from the pulverized mountain, the Italian assault failed.

The Austrians withdrew to to better prepared positions within a month.

Austrian supply lines.

Italian engineers cut this road for their supply during 1916

Trenches were rare, instead stacked rock would provide cover from rifle and machine-gun fire. Unfortunately medium and large caliber guns would shatter the limestone base, sending rock pieces flying.

Great page for some pics:
panoramio.com/user/8154165/tags/WW1 in the Dolomites

I'm always amazed at the combatants in this theater. The Italians in WWI were exactly lions led by lambs, or perhaps just idiots. The bravery it takes to attack Austrian positions time and again, with no RnR (Some Italian generals though barbwire placement and trench digging was RnR) is incredible.

I'd recommend "the white war" by Mark S Thompson, gives a good description of the front, as well as Italian motivations from top to bottom. I wish there was as good a source in English for the Austrian side, though Thompson goes into it more during the Austro-German offensives.

Disallowing the kilt in combat was a mistake 2bh

Cheers for the content.

Metal trivializes the whole thing and makes it look fake-hardcore. That is what all metal does. People apply it to things to look "badass' but it just makes it look fake. If you want to capture the feelings of the war, use music from the time period. God damn fucking shit.

>London
>Scottish
wut?

There were Scottish units all over the Empire: Canada, Australia, South Africa, even India.

it's not the fact that it's metal, it's the fact that it's sabameme

Thanks lad. I think it's a shame how little the Italian front is covered and I'm interested to learn more. The caucuses campaign has always interested me too.

Why did so many Turkish civilians die during ww1? I heard turkey lost almost 20% of its population and a lot of it because of civilian death. I believe they also had the highest civilian casualty rate so why did so many die?

youtu.be/Kqba0IUdiBk

kilts collected lice like crazy

Was the collapse of the Ottoman empire the worst thing to happen in the history of the world

Don't do it.

Is this a meme?

No love for the Canadian Troops

>we were Loved Back then
>and feared by the Germans

now were a Cuck nation of Whiny babys
My great Grand dad wouldn't be happy to see our land now

prove me wrong

Make your argument as to why you believe its collapse was the worst thing to happen to the world.

feel sorry for you euros knowing that bf1 is indoctr-I mean teach a new generation about ww1

Where did it all go wrong leaf-friend?

Stop.

The English dismantled the border wall in 1909.

>Replaced France and Russia with Harlem fighters and Bedouins for the sake of forced diversity

I'm mad

Not permitting the independence of Quebec.

>only the T*rks are white

What did they mean by this?

The uniforms looks pretty inaccurate as well

Almost everything about this game is inaccurate. To be fair an accurate WW1 wouldn't be that fun for most people.

>>real thread theme's song

Glad I wasn't there

surely the gun firing would scare the shit out of the elephant

Fucking hell
It reminds me of the shanky outposts from Fallout4

Thread's TRUE theme song

youtube.com/watch?v=6iGEiY6wvDo

Post French pics please