Redpill me on unpaid internships, Veeky Forums

Redpill me on unpaid internships, Veeky Forums.

I'm in my third year of college, and everyone is emphasizing the importance of an unpaid, Summer internship in getting a job in my field (economics and political science). It seems like bullshit to me though, especially since I'll be missing out on thousands of dollars of income. Is it wiser to just work and save money?

Money should be among the last things you consider when taking an internship unless you absolutely need the money to survive. The top thing to consider if how the internship will affect your ability to get your desired career and earn money in the future. The amount of money you make over the summer in college is totally insignificant compared to how much you'll make after college.

Employer here, internships do help, both me and you.

You are able to look into different jobs and see what fits you best, plus you will be able to get accustomed to the work environment and learn some of the specifics for the trade which is a big plus in interviews.

As a recruiter I often have the problem that there is very little difference in all those kids applying without any prior job experience. An internship makes you seem more interesting and it's a good hook to ask for in a job interview.

the only reason unpaid internships still exist is because cucks fall for it like flies to honey

I can't even believe that shit is legal, back in the day you had to feed and give shelter to your slaves.

truth is we always pay for interns but only like 1 in 10 actually earns their money. most of them are fucking useless wankers.

the only reason we still do it is in hopes we get a decent guy and he might actually start working with us when he finishes. so far zero luck.

What work do you do?

[spoiler] Id love to apply and try and prove my worth [/spoiler]

we are a small medium industrial automation company and my branch is software development. we usually give dev tools or component dev and other simple tasks for our interns which they then proceed to royally fuck up.

The typical unpaid internship goes like this:
>you and three other interns do the grunt work that recent college grads used to do for the company
>other two people stare at Facebook all day, leaving you to slave away with all the work >when you finally graduate, there's no jobs for you because they're all filled by unpaid interns now

Learn how to trade stocks and options and prepare for the worst after graduation because there's definitely a lack of jobs thanks to unpaid internships.

How large is your engineering department? Specifically the ones who do control and power systems.

Also, would you be will to post a link or a throwaway email?

well the hardware crowd is about 50 large. and they have shittons of interns.
but sorry to rile you up user, i doubt you want to spend internship in hungary.

It's okay user, it's just the time of year the poor fuckers who don't have engineering jobs for the summer yet are panicking.

I just don't to work at a damned bank again.

>tfw accounting internship at $23/hr with time and a half overtime
Life's pretty good desu desu

They should be illegal. No man should perform tasks without compensation as a means of him "getting experience".

Stem majors usually don't get unpaid ones.

But if that's all you can get then suck it up. And work it like any other job. The fact that you are unpaid is irrelevant if you can show you can perform and excel in what is asked of you.

>be me
>be into biosensors
>professor recommends me to former colleague at some company
>offered 30hr week unpaid position
>say hell no when there is no possibility to get paid in the future at this position
>bear in mind I had a full semester too
>black friend takes it and works there for about 2 years while getting a second job in security

How did you swing that?

Poli sci is the king of unpaid internships, but it's a really shitty degree and is wasting your time. I'd pick up math, cs, or mis. Hell, doubling down with finance or accounting is better.

Economics on the other hand is mostly paid internships. Especially if you know a thing or four about computers.

Don't fret though if you don't have internships if you hold a respectable full-time job in school that can augment your degree. I worked as a Jr. Sysadmin full time while getting a degree in economics. Looks a hell of a lot nicer than coffee running and doing menial office work, which most internships are.

Also, time is pretty much running out if you're deadset on a summer internship. I will reiterate that a respectable full-time job while being a full-time student looks a hell of a lot nicer and summer internships unless the internship is at, like, Goldman Sachs

Don't do it.

never take an unpaid internship

That's some valuable input, thanks. If I could do it over again I'd probably study computer science and philosophy or something, but so it goes.

Being the well-spoken officer of an accounting club at my university
If it helps the motivation, know that I was poor and earned my money and connections on my own, so don't fret if you weren't born in the back pocket of daddy's firm like so many

>economics
>political """science"""
people actually pay for this shit

Fuck NO!!! Never take an unpaid internship unless it offers a pension and getting summers off. If you are a teacher then sure teach a class for free to get your cedential so you can get tenure, pension and mutha fuckin summers off. Working in finance and being offered unpaid work is like being asked to work like a hooker for free sucking the bosses dick. Get paid save money and pay cash for the car and house... like a boss.