/og/ - Orthodox General

>If there is no parish near you, send an email to Ancient Faith Ministries and ask them to establish a mission near you

Orthodox pastebin
pastebin.com/bN1ujq2x

>Form for converts
saintandrew.net/files/catechumen info/Catechumen_Renunciations_and_Affirmations_Form.pdf

>Orthodox cartoon
youtube.com/watch?v=XP0J2eDPIjU

>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic services
youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk
youtube.com/watch?v=QxcOv4zPoVo

>Comparison of Orthodox and Catholic Liturgical hymns
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=u0iOBOIwQ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=qDoyZtkrU0s
youtube.com/watch?v=XN6UNVwlRbk

>Media Attacks Orthodox Church
bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-16/the-orthodox-church-stays-in-the-dark-ages
nytimes.com/2016/09/14/world/europe/russia-orthodox-church.html?_r=0

>Putin's faith in his own words
youtube.com/watch?v=u3d_yxJhmjk

>Verses backing up veneration and intercession
Exodus 18:7
Joshua 7:6
1 Kings 13:6

>Based Patriarch
youtube.com/watch?v=0pqax_dPgTk

Orthodox Church on immigration
>Such an important aspect of modern life like mass migration is not left unattended. Unlike the Catholic approach that unduly favors migrants, particularly in Europe, the Orthodox notices the negative nature of the process, as well as the fact that it leads to confrontation of different identities and value systems. In addition, the Orthodox Church propose to look at the roots of this phenomenon. The reason for the migration is the liberal, hedonistic ideology bleeding the peoples of Europe and the interests of the capitalist elite, who need a cheap and disenfranchised workforce:

>Attempts by indigenous people of the rich countries to stop the migration flow are futile, because they come in conflict with the greed of their own elites who are interested in the low-wage workforce

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dApWNfJgGC4
youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>2016
>still don't believe that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary with anal leakage

>Orthodox General
Fuck yes.

Can any Orthobros recommend me some Orthodox black metal?

>catholic liturgy
>the worst examples of shitty "spirit of vatican ii" charismatic nonsense that could be drug up

That's really fair bro

youtube.com/watch?v=dApWNfJgGC4

Since the examples you used are strictly monastic and Vatican, I'd say it's fair.

Please don't use Putin or Kirill as a star examples of our faith. Our Lord did not bless civil conflict.

The declaration on immigration you posted is not ecumenical. It has not been endorsed by every autocephalous jurisdiction of the faith.

>Our Lord did not bless civil conflict.
He did not come to bring peace, but with a sword.

Much more Ecumenical than the "Great Council", since Russia is more than half the Church.

Our Lord absolutely blesses the defense of Christians in the Middle East. Are we not our brother's keeper?

>not recognizing a metaphor that is used multiple times throughout the NT exemplified by both choice of verbs and choice of nouns

nigger

I'm an Arab Christian. Russia is hardly doing what it is doing out of love for other christians. The Russian Fed would make a puppet out of MENA in a moment were it given the chance.

Just because a part of the church is greater in population does not mean that it is greater in moral character. See: the iconoclast controversies, the church at the time of St. Symeon the New Theologian.

>"Are we not our brother's keeper?"
>still allow filthy k*rds and arabs to murder and remove christian orthodox assyrians from their ancient homelands while licking k*rdish ass

sup LARPers

u still mad at venice lmao

So? You seem to think Christian interests and political interests can't align, but they certainly did for men like Constantine and Vladimir.

The iconoclast controversy was more of a heretical issue than a moral one. If you want to talk about morals, I definitely see the Russian Patriarch as more vocal on, for instance, the issue of abortion, than the Ecumenical Patriarch is.

I

>while licking k*rdish ass
What are you talking about

>Christian interests and political interests can't align

When Christian interests and political interests align, it is not due to divine providence. It is a foolish thing to put one's trust beyond God and his church. Men are foolish and prone to fanaticism, it is the church which prevails, not the state.

Constantine and Vladimir were saints. They did great things. They were also mortal. They committed great evil, slaughtering many in the name of Our Lord.

> it is not due to divine providence.
So you see the Council of Nicaea as problematic?

>They committed great evil, slaughtering many in the name of Our Lord.
Could you elaborate?

>recognize kurdish state in Rojava
>send them arms before any other Western nation did it
>allow ambassador to Russia
>still get fucked by them up the ass
pic related, your "allies" that are "helping" Assad and ethnically removing christian minorities until Turkey invaded with the FSA not even a month ago

They helped the Kurds because the Kurds were against Turkey, pretty simple. Turkey supports the insurgents, who would be even worse for Christians than the Kurds would.

>So you see the Council of Nicaea as problematic?

The Councils elaborate and make firm proclamation on the fundamentals of our faith. Their sanction and initiation by a state doesn't really matter. The faith of the church is the faith that has always been espoused, there has been no change.
>Could you elaborate?
Converting heretics to the truth is better than exiling or slaughtering them.

>The faith of the church is the faith that has always been espoused, there has been no change.
But the state has played a pretty active role in defending that faith and enforcing laws against bishops propagating heresies, and this was often very much something that went hand-in-hand with practical politics.

>Converting heretics to the truth is better than exiling or slaughtering them.
I think that depends as to whether or not the heretics are spreading their heresy and attacking orthodoxy.

>I think that depends as to whether or not the heretics are spreading their heresy and attacking orthodoxy.

We fight people with words, not with weapons. One need only look at the writings of the earliest fathers to see how frowned upon the shedding blood was.

>But the state has played a pretty active role in defending that faith and enforcing laws against bishops propagating heresies, and this was often very much something that went hand-in-hand with practical politics.

It has done such things imperfectly and with erratic frequency. When the state did not defend orthodoxy, it defended heterodoxy. Many martyrs and confessors were made on account of human incompetence.

And yet they fucked Assad up the ass attacking Hasakah which was under SAA control, West Rojava mortaring shia loyalists in Nubl and the only road for the SAA into Aleppo was blocked off by YPG K*rds while they were shelling them. And all this still would gone on if not for Turkey moving in with the army actually allowing Assad some breathing room while the filthy k*rds realized they couldn't take all the clay.

But hey, keep lick that k*rd ass since you know whats best for the Assyrian church of the East.

Orthodox group aren't meant to proselytize; it was literally one of the reasons behind the schism. Come onto the internet to do just that... Really?

It isn't, you can't take examples of people not following the rules and try to pass it off as the norm in Catholic liturgy.

Killing people for heresy is unacceptable. Deporting them for spreading heresy isn't.

>It has done such things imperfectly and with erratic frequency
That really doesn't change what a state defending orthodoxy is a good thing. Saint Vladimir and Saint Constantine are both primarily recognized for state backing of orthodoxy, that is why they are called "Equal to the Apostles," since it helped spread the faith and establish it.

What you guys think is heresy is actually truth. That's why true Christians hid underground and we're killed by the Churches who tried to cover them up.

What are you saying, that the Orthodox are not supposed to talk about the faith with non-Orthodox? Because my priest has been saying that should be done a lot more.

Could you give an example? Since there are a ton of heresies and many drastically conflict with each other.

What people call heresy is another term for non-agreement. There is no heresy, only misunderstanding.

It is utterly ridiculous that a Christian denomination would not proselytize. Jesus gave his disciples the great commission, why should we act an differently?

"Heresy" comes from Greek "to choose". It means to pick and choose doctrine, as opposed to simply accepted the doctrine Christ taught, not more, no less.

Everyone is a heretic, because everyone makes choices, and chooses denomination. All churches give and take, and all people give and take. All by choice.

He might be conflating "proselytizing" with "evangelizing", since the terms are often distinct with the Orthodox. The former includes things like force and harassment and threatening people with hell.

Choosing to follow Christ's doctrine is a choice, yes. But choosing which of his individual doctrines you want, and throwing away others, or adding some and saying they are his when they are not, is "heresy", as in choosing from his doctrines like a buffet.

And don't even get me started on the situation in Iraq, which you christcucks seem to have forgotten all about.

lmao who cares about the oldest christian communities and some of the oldest churches since the dawn of Christianity, rite?

Christ has no doctrine. The Gospel are agreed upon by every Christian, yet Christians only focus on appearant "heresies" on the other groups rather than the same God they pray to.

What God teaches us through His Son, is truth. With those words, everyone can follow Christ, but no where in those words implies denomination or heresies.

>Christ has no doctrine
Since "doctrine" comes from Greek for "teaching," I think you are wrong here.

Doctrine in English usually implies script. Of course Christ had teachings, but He leaves behind no "this is how I want to be worshiped by you guys church" nor does he call Peter "the rock" because Peter isn't the Christ.

Not saying "don't identify as orthodox" cause that isn't what important everyone has a relationship to the Father, even the appearant heretics, are just as close to God, because Christ, His own Son, is also persecuted as a heretic

Peter literally means "rock", but since we're not Catholics, who don't interpret this as meaning the Pope is infallible and ruler of the planet.

You think the Gospels are a comprehensive collection of everything Christ said and taught over this ministry, which lasted years?

Christ was persecuted *by* heretics.

Christ is also the heretic on the other side. People hate Him so much because he is a "heretic". All heretics are persecuted by heretics.

The Gospels are not complete, very allegorical and paraphrased.

Yeah we got Palestrina and Schubert. Greeks got gyros and borscht.

Christ is also a "liar" on the other side. Does that no one is really a "liar", because Christ was called one?

How do you know if the Gospels are very allegorical? Or paraphrased?

You don't actually use the former much anymore, and you never use the latter in Liturgy

youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

A lie is different than a heresy. You can call out a lie from the truth, but you can't call out a heresy as evil so easily, for the other side has a justification, and is open to grey areas.

Aside from the historical account, Christ speaks in parables (allegories) and we are not getting long discourses of Christ's sermons and every question every disciple asked. We are getting only 3 years of His ministry, and very short accounts of what He taught.

A heresy is a form of lie.

All of what Christ taught was passed on through his Apostles, even that which isn't in the Gospels. He sends the Spirit of Truth to ensure this

Heresy is only percieve and is not definate. There are lies, but heresies are not always lies. Jesus is a heretic to the Jews and to Christians Jesus does not lie.

Jesus fuck, are you two gonna have this thread reach 100+ posts cause of "muh definitions"?

No wonder christcucks are on the decline.

There is an important message in it for you too.

I doubt it, but please go on.

Are you Turkish?

yok babam kardeş, Im obviously greek

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Aren't Turks basically just Muslim Greeks?

No they are the descendants of the great House Seljuk whom come from the tribes of Oghuz that would rule all of the Middle East and later the Sultanate of Rum, the true successors of the Roman empire.

Got to check out a bunch of 19th century Russian/Greek Orthodox icons today incidentally. Very nice pieces of art.

Sometimes I think about giving Orthodoxy a shot, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Still like it though.

Just attend a service, at least

And even if you don't come to the faith, you should still read Laurus. As well as The Way of a Pilgrim.

I've been to more Masses than I care to count.

I just can't see it as anything more than a (admittedly beautiful) tradition.

I've read The Way of a Pilgrim.

Read Laurus, then.

By "Mass," are you referring to Orthodox service?

No. Catholic though family. Occasional various Protestant churches through friends. I fell away from Christianity altogether a long time ago even if I still have respect for it.

There aren't many Orthodox churches here and I've never had reason to go.

Why is there a city named Germanicia in Anatolia?

Hence Holy Tradition

Try an Orthodox service. If you have to just go once, I recommend the Holy Thursday (which is Wednesday Night), Friday, and Pascha. You will be floored, it's nothing like what you've experienced before.

By Pascha, by the way, I mean the Saturday night service. In keeping with the original Christians, Orthodoxy uses Jewish reckoning for when the day starts, at least liturgically (in ancient Jewish reckoning, a day starts at six in the evening).

Because it was called that back when it was part of the armeno-byzaboo confederation ruled it.

After being liberated from corrupt greeks it got the rightful name of Kahramanmaraş.

Yeah but why does it have that name? Were the Romans employing German soldiers/mercenaries when they captured it?

Maybe. I feel like an outsider in these places even with friends and family, I can't imagine going alone.

>Orthodoxy uses Jewish reckoning
Absolutely disgusting.

Daily reminder that all Orthodox """"Christians""""" on Veeky Forums are just LARPers from /pol/ who got butthurt about Francis.

>American catholics.

You really think this shit is happening everywhere? In Ireland for example? Italy?

And you've been licking American ass since 1951, and after the "coup", you've decided to find another patron rear to lick, that of Russia.

The only reason you began to "move in" with the army is because you've been ordered to do so, stop pretending as if this was solely your decision.

Can someone explain what this Mary doing anal is all about?

Some Veeky Forums fedora may may

Constantine, our resident Orthodox Christainity expert, explained how Hypostaic Union implies that Mary had anal sex to give birth to Jesus. It was one of the last times he used his trip and was both brilliant and stirring.

I don't know where it started, but the general point of the myth would be that Mary was accidentally impregnated by a man who sodomized her. It's rather like the story in the Talmud that credits a Roman soldier for raping her.

Quite the blasphemous statements by those anons, then. Wow.

Yup.

Such are the dangers of heresy.

And they wonder why we try to eradicate it.

Eastern "Orthodoxy" is heresy. Repent and believe the gospel.

Sola Scriptura is a heresy, Eastern Orthodoxy is the original Church as possible, closest to the teachings of the Apostles, and therefore Christ.

>Sola Scriptura is a heresy
Scripture is heresy!?
>Eastern Orthodoxy is the original Church as possible
lol
>closest to the teachings of the Apostles
the Apostles taught salvation by grace alone through faith alone

Clearly you haven't read scripture, nor the Church Fathers. You took my words out of context by omitting "sola", you fool.

The Church Fathers were Protestant

We've been through this before in great detail.
You lie.
You are an evil and spiteful human being who bears false witness.
Pretty simple really