/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Inspirational Edition
Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Garry's Mod
>GearBlocks
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

bamzooki-sr.software.informer.com/
igg-games.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=-bCPOLpFDP0
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907225826
my.mixtape.moe/smhguy.bsg
youtu.be/gIJaG7X6918?t=3m41s
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Grilled defeated

If anyone wants a 2D puzzle game like Fantastic Contraption (except controllable), Incredipede is on sale for a few hours more
It's as /egg/ as you'll get for a game that simple, although you have to play 'hard' mode to make your own abominations

bamzooki-sr.software.informer.com/
BAMZOOKi LIVES ON IN OUR HANDS

>Still no game that properly scratches that spacecraft building itch

5th for turbo encabulation

Yeah, Sorry user I should really have read the thread before posting.

Surprised how stuff like Bamzooki is still floating around

Any good freedomware engineering games?

Literally the only real way of reducing sinusoidal depleneration. No idea how people got along without it
And no, GM, trimodulated Beckerman spring-shams are NOT a fucking replacement. Fuck off with that shit

igg-games.com/

I won't drink for you, but I'll show you the water.

Why did they fit the marzelvane so rigidly to the lunar waneshaft? Wouldn't a little sidefumbling help reduce material stresses? It's ambifacient, doesn't that mean it's supposed to sidefumble at least a little bit?

I'm building a new carrier. Does /egg/ like how it looks?

Sorry, I was memeing by saying freedomware, I meant open-source, not pirated.

Little difference, far as I'm concerned. Technically, Spengies is open source.

Pic from the backside, WIP

And pic from the propellers, before i go to sleep. Night night /egg/

Well it concerns me, which is why I asked. Also Spengies is not open-source, it is proprietary with source available under a proprietary license. I don't see it advertised as "open-source" on their main website, but their EULA calls itself open-source, which is a mistake. "Open-source" does not refer to "opening your source", it means the software is open to independent development and redistribution.

"Open-source" in software development has a specific meaning: you have to be able to use, modify, and redistribute the software to anybody for commercial or non-commercial purposes.

Terms that make Spengies not open-source:
- Even if you receive the software legally you cannot use it unless you have paid
- You cannot use or redistribute your mods on commercial basis
- Any modifications you make belong to them and they have the exclusive right to redistribute them

And probably other stuff but who wants to read and understand a whole EULA

...right. So why exactly do you care, in any case? Do you plan to compile it with tweaks? Or are you one of those 'tards that only use open source software?

Pulse jets in my egg when

youtube.com/watch?v=-bCPOLpFDP0

test fire at 3:04, test run at 3:25

I'm a freetard, I don't solely use open source software but I think that it's better if more software is not proprietary and try to reduce how much proprietary software I use.

We have reached peak chaos turboprop at 10.6x stack speed and about 850rpm by my estimation. I know for a fact that it doesn't go any faster, because the props just shear off at 10.7x.

you should kys desu senpai

Thanks but are there any open-source engineering games?

I made this for /diy/ but I probably won't have any replies for a few months.

wat gem

And you still won't.

>all those points for mechanical failure if it were to be shot at and take any sort of physical damage

Mount two on an aircraft. Use gyro-control surfaces to level it if you have to.

>I want developers to work for free
Literally worse than proprietary software, senpai.

Get a mod that tells you the velocity of a block so you can see how fast it goes

If you can get a plane to hit around 30 m/s it will take off

Chaos plane

I don't know what unit this mod measures velocity in, but it feels like a pretty fast plane. It can hit 95 on a dive.

It's probably m/s. That's 342 kph, which is good for a prop plane with that kind of basic engine. Have you tried using 4 blades per engine instead of 2 fun fact: prop blades have so much drag you can brake in a dive by cutting engine power

I saw a plane on the besiege forums that used a weird and super compact engine with angled blades and a combination of wheels and spinning blocks, that plane was crazy fast. Kinda hard to fly at high speeds though, it was very twitchy and shaky

Maybe check if there are any /egg/-y mods for MineTest? Minecraft had BuildCraft/IndustrialCraft which are pretty close to being 3D Factorio.

I've been trying to use two blades per engine at the highest possible RPM, because I imagine using more blades might add drag and limit the top speed. It's definitely not possible to use longer blades because those will either shear off or blow the engine.

What do you use for propulsion if not props? Rockets?

Nice strawman. What you did is like saying that factory owners want to pollute and ruin the Earth.

And in any case, selling software licenses isn't the only business model involving developing software, even if it is currently the most profitable.

That it's harder to make money on open-source software is a valid criticism, but I guess unfortunately that doesn't carry as much impact as "Freetards are evil gommies who don't want developers to make money"

Minetest has a mod called Technic for electric machines and things, and pipeworks for item transport, but it doesn't feel as engaging as IC2 somehow. I think it might be that the machines don't have that much depth, but then again early IC2 didn't either. If I'm going to complain though maybe I should be writing mods for MT.

>reddit spacing
ignored

I want my planes to be fast so I tend to use a jet engine block from a mod or vanilla flying blocks with increased thrust so I don't have to use a million of them. Steam rockets and flying blocks are viable but you need a bunch of them to get the bigger/heavier planes airborne let alone achieve decent speeds. I wouldn't need to use modded engines if the scramjet glitch was still a thing

I abandoned propeller engines long ago

I think the new chaos turboprop is your solution.

Oh and yeah firework rockets are an option too but again you need a lot of them to make heavy planes go fast and they have a pretty big disadvantage in that you can't turn them off and they have limited fuel

You can also use a slingshot to launch a plane that can't take off by itself

It has a level speed of around 70 m/s but there's probably still potential in there. I'm putting it up so you guys can fuck around with it.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=907225826

my workshop's also got the gyro-controlled screw stabiliser and the micro pushrod suspension if you need them

That's 0 to 900+ kph in the blink of an eye

Problem is of course that the grabber keeping the plane attached to the springs will likely not resist the brutal tension so it will need god mode
>workshop
Can you just pastebin the contents of the .bsg file for those of us who didn't get the game on steam, or upload it somewhere else

my.mixtape.moe/smhguy.bsg

Center of mass and center of lift are a bit unbalanced and it causes the plane to nose up; it's not a huge problem for this plane since those prop engines won't let it stall, but it's bad for flying. Speed is obviously limited by drag caused by the propellers, I told you they wouldn't let you go very fast. I had to tweak the controls a bit too. Also a way to turn the engines off/disconnect engine power from the propellers would be nice.

But keep working on it, it could turn into something cool. If nothing else you can use a few of these engines to make a big-ass airship

But what is it?

How the fuck do I besiege
I got to the level with the wall and my shitty little machine can't go around it and i have no idea how to make anything better

ok /egg/

what yall think of my current lineup of combat ready tanks?

some still need some tweeking/astetics and a good paintjob, but all of them are ready for combat, and initial tests against the aote wf are promising.

one on right is a general hardend battle tank. needs some restructuring and more reactive armor, but it hits well enough.

left is a laser tank, i need to add laser missile defenses still, but it shoots like a dream.

>i have no idea how to make anything better
Well user that's the point of the game isn't it. Keep trying things, make experiments, learn from failure, eventually you'll make something that works

main heavy battle tank, cram weapons, and a shitload of armor, heavy armor is underneath the outer shell in most places.

I've never seen one before, no one has, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

railgun tank.

needs more future shit on it, maby a shield and maby lighten it and make it a shade faster, turn it into a sniper.

Yeah, they seem to have a ton of lifting power.

I don't know if prop blades have the same lift characteristics as wing panels, but panels start providing lift at around 30 m/s depending on the angle of attack and these prop blades are obviously moving way faster than that so yeah, the plane won't go very fast but it won't stall either. With prop engines you can basically just point the plane 90 degrees up and climb.

and finally my super heavy seige tank.

the fucker is stupid, its more of a hardend artillery unit than tank. slow as shit to aim too. but if i remove the fire rate limit it can unload 150 some odd 500 gauge medium length rounds in about 20 seconds. but i really only use it like a giant artillery canon.

It's an inflato-hab, the idea being that you could use them in lieu of the more heavily armored habs in relatively low-radiation environments to dramatically reduce cost and weight, which are both pretty decisive factors in space travel at the moment.

Reminder that it's not STEAM, not even STEM, that makes the world turn: It's S&M.

Pretty cool tanks, user. Reminds me that I still need to get back on my hovertanks

>seige tank
You call that a siege tank? THIS is a siege tank.

Any AA defenses?

How did you manage a turret on a sloped surface?

permalocked rotors doing the slope.

absolute madman, please carry on

well, considering it shoots a whole 2 tiles across the world map yeah. if only ftd could do good transformation.

the lazer tank is the best ive got atm, i tried making a armored aa vehicle, but its turret keeps getting stuck and its aim is fiunky. probobly gonna make a standard AA with missile silo later.

right now i need to focus on making a decent air force, as all i have is a small attack heli and a bomber, my scramjet is old and obsolete as hell.

What's the CLANG potential for those?

Its filed with holes, so it needs a rebuild, but the original has a u shape to move the gun and the gunner with it, and on each side the rotors to hold the top of the turret sides.
all this sits on a rotor held by wheels with 0% and 0% travel on a specific offset to absorb some wobble of its weight.
if i could fit the rotors lower and even remove the gunner, would have more room to work, and even make it survive some hits.
Most tanks can be 1 hit killed by missiles if the tonks are not sanic fast.
Is there a way to have a portable SAM?
Or a bed of ground to Air missiles ready to be launched or specially aimed to them with wheels.

Shame that seats cant control via antenna another grid, so i could RC missiles with it.
But they make the best packed interiors when combined with rotors.

>Is there a way to have a portable SAM?
Well the Mars escape world scenario has them.

>Shame that seats cant control via antenna another grid, so i could RC missiles with it.
Not sure what you mean here. You can control antennas with seats as long as they have a remote control.

>even if it is currently the most profitable.

Say that again. Slowly.

Businesses exist to make money. People work at businesses to make money for the buisness, which gives them an agreed upon amount of money per hour or on a salary. People buy software because they want it. If they can get it without paying, legitimately, they will not go out of their way to pay for it. Those that donate to free projects are those that have sufficient disposable income. Quite a few of us aren't bleeding cash from every orifice.

>Nice strawman.
Now go back to /g/ or some relevant subreddit.

I mean a portable SAM in FtD.
In spengos a small portable missile printer will be for long distances arty attacks, its what im trying to build now.
When you are on a seat, even controling a RC inside a grid with also an antenna, you cant remote control something that its floating in front of you.
When you are on a cockpit, you can.
The thing is that you cant make a tonk this small with a 3x3x3 box in it but you lose that in exchange.

Squeeze people in.

Thanks mate, glad you liked (?) it.

I've got a new pet engine now, though minmaxed steam jet.

>When you are on a seat, even controling a RC inside a grid with also an antenna, you cant remote control something that its floating in front of you.
I still don't get you.

You can't do this.
They won't even show up on the list directly, you need to navigate through the remote access button to get to the terminal, and then the control button on the RC is unaviable.
With a regular cockpit you can do it.

well, i usually put a few vertical launch missiles in my stuff that cant shoot straight up, but a mobile missile silo is pretty basic

Catfucker jailed when?

Why do you even mention him? Do not bring up the accursed ones

yeah, a shitload of player and prebuilt stuff have missile silos. there is even one premade that you can find and spawn in the main missile building tab, as an example for newbies

the children of Harvester are touched by the hand of God

amen, /b/rother

>teaching people how to do gunbed ships from the start
Nick what the fuck.

In spengos im thiking in something like this.
youtu.be/gIJaG7X6918?t=3m41s
Or with a wheel railgun to spit them at cap speed instantly.

I was planing on hiding some warhead RC missiles as fuel tanks in the back of this tank, and control them when launched, but since i can't, unless i find a good gps missile guide script to replace it, they are gone, maybe a simple mod of the autopilot, but since it has only 1 thruster, it may need some tweaks.

Good night /egg/

why
i didn't even shitpost in /egg/ at all today, all i did was go to a family gathering and get drunk

Click remote access, then take control.

>War about to be were declared on the Norks

Hold me /egg/.

Can't fucking wait for the memes m8

>dahir inshat

Truly /ourguy/

Landed my new ship (Resorts Last) with zero percent hydrogen left. This thing burned through 4 hydrogen tanks worth. Like 2.3 Million KG, closing in on 2000 blocks.

>see ivan, when entire plane is rotate, yuo need not propeller

Only missed base by 2km.

Apparently the manipulator buddy doesn't work in Earth gravity.

And neither does the drill. That's what I get for copying game designs. Looks like I'll be filling the ice tanks with my base atmospheric miner.