/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur
>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Previous thread:

I'M FROM BUENOS AIRES

2nd for killer psionic butterflies

Double threads are against the rules.

Let the other thread actually hit the post limit ffs

i have this mod, humans look pretty neat, i like it. Has lts of other new great looking species as well.

has list* of other new species

Does neutering pops give the same diplomatic maluses as outright exterminating them?

>Choosen

Don't worry OP, we know about the blackmail the antsfags have been subjecting you to, but your true allegiance to the spider queen did not go unnoticed.

From last thread, I have a few questions about the Synthetic ascension and megastructures, and getting top the actual part where i can verify these things is very time consuming. I'd really appreciate if some user could answer these for me in advance:
1) Once i get my people into Synths, can they reproduce? If, as i imagine, they can't, can i build Synths which belong to my people? Or are newly built synths after the ascension considered a different species?
2) Aside from greatly reduced mantainence, what are the advantages of the Synth ascension compared to just build the damn things? I've seen leaders become immortal and gain a Synth bonus for whatever they do, is it true (and as good as Psionic's ones)?
3) Is there a way to not adopt the Synth portrait once ascended?

4) what are the exact requirements for a Ring world? Is it just a star with no habitated planets? Does it require a specific number of planets/celestial bodies?
5) What about habitats requirements? Can i build them on top of a ring world section?

For civilian ships often there's a national prefix and a utility prefix (describing the use or cargo of the ship)

For naval vessels, some nations have multiple (the Royal Navy in the UK has about 15 titles including the Her Majesty's/HMS titles which are used on civilian ships too)

Or you have the Argentinian prefix of ARA which stands for Navy of the Argentine Republic.

Some don't have any prefixes. Some countries have a prefix used for military and civilian (USS/United States Ship, HMS/Her Majesty's Ship).

In Stellaris I often just use my empire's name with V or S on the end because I'm boring. VCV/Vol Combine Vessel in my last one for instance.

My butterflies are psionic too, they're just friendly xenophile warmongers instead.

They kind of lend themselves to spiritualism.

Honestly by the time you reach synth evolution you should be thinking about either making some insane dedicated worlds or Dyson spheres and maintenance quickly becomes a non issue.

But yes you will need to build every single pop.

1. i don't think they can reproduce. you can build your new synthesised people, but you can't build default synthetics anymore. ascended synths and default synths are different species.
2. leaders and pops get the synth trait, all of them. synth leaders are immortal. not sure how it compares to psi
3. i don't think so. mess with the game files i guess

Fanatic purifiers can't get psionics.

>displacement counts as genocide
>I'M the bad guy now
Make it stop.

are strike craft any good?

No

Also:
>progressives hate that I don't gib right to subavian xenos
>but they're fine if I gas them (and return to being happy afterwards)
Is this paradog being retarded or 2deep4me commentary on the state of modern progressive left?

>catching up to my neighbor I have a defensive pact with and just integrated my vassal
>fleet pushing 2k, gitting gud
>zealot neighbor goes from NAP to war
>zealot fleet rolls in with 5.4k
>my fleet is 1.7k of corvettes
>get engaged at a starport and get wiped
[screaming]

>want to play short lived roboticist birds and get penned in somewhere, massproduce megastructures and synths
>wind up with 1.2 spiral arms all to myself
Thanks, Johan.

>not having a 5k fleet with 10 cruisers 20 destroyers and 50 corvettes 40 years in
Shameful.

Fighters are good for PD and dealing with corvettes, bombers are trash avoid at all costs.

why are bombers bad? no PD?

You'd think the bombers would be ideal for fighting corvettes

Why bother with strike crafts? My ships invariably destroy all of them before they even fire, I don't see any reason to assume my strike crafts would reach the AI's ships.

Why does genocide take so long?
Gassing a bunch of xenos takes longer than building a ringworld section.

>You'd think the bombers would be ideal for fighting corvettes

PD weapons deal PD damage which works against strike craft but is otherwise shit damage.
Flak cannons deal capital ship damage but they ALSO work as PD.

Bombers have a SLOW flight into battle. Their speed seriously needs to be doubled or tripled, but it doesn't matter because they'll get pulverized by flak.

You'd think a bomber would be great for destroying something 10-15 times the fucking size of it.

Is that an insane concept?

Gotcha.

bombers regularly destroy targets many times the size of themselves even in real life warfare you fucking retard

What's wrong with you?

>You'd think a bomber would be great for destroying something 10-15 times the fucking size of it.

No seriously what's wrong with you.

Keep in mind almost every single game with space combat I can recall has a system such as:

>Fighters kill Bombers
>Bombers kill pretty much anything bigger than them.
>Anti-fighter kills both bombers and fighters

That's depressing, i wish they make strike craft as viable as the artillery/arc emitter line. maybe increase their speed and evasion so flak doesnt shred them apart? It would also buff FE/AA, since it seems they have at least 1 wing of fighters in all their ships.

what? Are you agreeing with me now?

Are you making bizzare links in the conversation or something.

These are me.

I started by saying that bombers should probably work against corvettes logically speaking considering the size differences in Stellaris, but the balance turns out differently, apparently.

My opinion hasn't changed.

>No way to speed up robot pop growth

Truly a crime against all synthkind. Taking Machinist at game start should at least reduce their build time from 2.5 year to 2 or something to balance the fact that you're stuck with it.

Are you an actual retard? That's exactly what user has been saying.

Yeah, It'd be interesting if bombers were a big enough threat that fighters became almost mandatory against large bomber squadrons.

Right now you can simply spam flak cannons and they're irrelevant, in fact, you can not even bother with flak, and they're still pretty much irrelevant.

I disagree, bombers are very good against bigger ships!

>You'd think the bombers would be ideal for fighting corvettes

I guess this means the opposite then

Flak weapons suffer from the same problem original Supcom AA weapons had. Weapons in one theater had a vastly different health/damage scale than another theater, which leads to stupid things like gunships 1-shotting interceptors and huge UFOs getting shot down by a single lucky arty strike.

All the PD, missiles and strike craft need a 2-5x hp buff across the board so the values begin to compare with everything else.

Then PD gets its damage scaled but also minus 50%-66% vs cap ships.

Then and only then can you have sanely balanced cross theatre weapons like flak.

hey paracucks think how much money you'll make with Space Midway™ DLC and fixing the AI

no u

In Stellaris, what civics are the best to take for someone who doesn't want to be a pacifist pussy.

how much money do you think paradox will charge for the ability to sort the order in which your fleets/planets/sectors appear in your overview?

$5.99 seems likely.

They'll probably also charge £5.99 and €5.99 just because.

>and huge UFOs getting shot down by a single lucky arty strike.
>implying that wasn't FUCKING AWESOME
>not having a literal rain of artillery fire to bring down incoming Czars

civilian service and fleet admirality with fanatic militarist, and then pick the flesh is weak ascension for +15% fire rate

i got an +83% fire rate with fanatic purifers

Any opinions on Novio Magnum 3? Thinking of giving it a whirl to replace ISB for a bit.

Fanatic purifiers and whatever.

> tfw tried going for an early aggression game where I instantly occupy shit the second I discover a new civilization
> it works

Too bad all of the xenos are too fucking ugly to ever have around. I'm never lucky enough to encounter a qt space squid or space elf empire to integrate into my own culture as slaves.

Don't get me wrong, they definitely counterbalanced TOO FAR in the other way which was also stupid. For every HP of tanks on the ground you could put 3HP of interceptors in the sky.

But no one said those devs were smart. they still have the free ACU upgrade exploit and AI engineers are still independent AI players that destroy CPUs

>find humanoid aliens for the first time
>they're hivemind
oh well, roaches and fungus people are my only friends i suppose

Is this general normally just /stellaris/, or is it just because it was updated recently?

When Endless Space 2 releases next month, will there be discussion of that?

>will there be discussion of that?
May be.

Typically these patches are free.
The only stuff they actually make you pay for in updates is the new, significantly game changing content.

>unbidden show up
>50k fleet
how the flying fuck do I win against this

Hope theres an AE/FE between you and the portal.

>not having 200k by the time the unbidden show up.

In Stellaris, what traditions do people generally take for early expansion, Prosperity or Expansion?

You get a better fleet.

Prosperity opener, all of expansion.

Take the pick up bonus for prosperity, fill expansion out, then make a beeline for the survey discovery bonus, and start surveying the galaxy as much as possible.

I can actually win agaisnt one 50k with my 40k one, but then other 50k ones rape my ass

and I say kill em all!

This

Oh yeah and, pick either technological ascension or master of nature for your first ascension, after you have those two then possibly start going down an evolutionary ascension path.

Tier 1 cyborgs (flesh is weak) is great, don't go any further down the path than that, generally pointless.

Gene modding asension is great but not that interesting either.

Psionic evolution is cool and gives nice evasion but isn't as cool as it could be.

Looking to start playing with Cities Skylines again - what are some new essential mods or assets? Are any of the DLC after the night one worth getting?

If two Awakened Empires are going at it, and dragging the entire galaxy into their conflict, can I safely research jump drives without waking up the Unbidden?

Is it just me or is democratic really unnecessarily annoying? I just hate how often election comes up, by themselves they might have been okay, but it's just so annoying how they are so random and they can elect scientists and other people you need where they currently are.

Elections overhaul when?

No, war in heaven isn't classed as an end game crisis

Nope. A War in Heaven doesn't qualify as a crisis.

You should still get jump drives because fuck these losers.

It also gives you stupidly large amounts of influence.

>cities skylines
>4x

i know there's no city builder general any more but it's a bit of a stretch

Look at the OP

Elections need to get fixed that's for sure mandates always give 250 influence when they should be giving 60-200

i guess the intention is to give democratic republics an advantage over others in influence to represent.... who knows?

one of the most annoying things is that endless space 2 represents democracy better in imperial non-democratic empires than stellaris does with actual 'democratic' republics

it means fucking nothing

>Is it just me or is democratic really unnecessarily annoying? I just hate how often election comes up, by themselves they might have been okay, but it's just so annoying how they are so random and they can elect scientists and other people you need where they currently are.
>Elections overhaul when?

Imperial all the way. Fuck elections. Waste of time.

>decide to create a full war race
>everyone next to me is peaceful and is creating a huge ass alliance against me
>decide to create a full peace race
>got an extremely aggressive neighbour next to me
This shit can't be real.

convince me why i should pick oligarchy over democracy

This place has kind of evolved into PC games with speed settings and a "god" perspective general.

>I'M FROM BUENOS AIRES
IT'S A BUG PLANET

Autocrat/Oligarch is better than Imperial as it lets you pick your next leader.

yeah they're poorly implemented as well. The "goals" the different candidates have are so ham-fistedly done.

ITS AN UGLY PLANET

>unbidden portal at 30%
>nearly down
>all allied forces retreat once the main force comes back
>its still up and regenerating

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Better luck next time :")

Bombers are crap because they're only good for damage against capital ships due to 0 tracking, and L slot guns are better for that from both a raw numbers point of view and that they can't be shot down.

Fighters work because they can reliably oneshot any missile that isn't a t4-5 L slot missile or t3 torpedo and launch from miles away effectively making them an 80 range PD gun that fires in bursts of 8 strike craft hangers launch 8 craft each if you didn't know and while their damage is low their tracking is pretty good so they can put some reliable hurt on corvettes when there's no missiles to shoot down before your actual corvette poppers can get in range too.

Imperial is annoying. It's just dictator without a choice. There's no attempt to represent dynastic government.

we need more crises,
and some way to make it not always the unbidden

It used to be reliably the extra-galactic guys but changes to the tech tree means that every fucker gets jump drives fairly early on in comparison, leading to unbidden being drawn almost every time.

I don't even think twice about researching sentient AI because I know I won't get sentient AI uprising.

Also I just ran some real quick maths on exactly what the damage output from fighters is like, and it's only slightly less than that of autocannons, except they have like 4 times the range and shoot missiles down too.

>early-game
>discover worlds that are prime candidates for terraforming
>have no technology to do it
>decades pass
>get well into mid-game
>can terraform all sorts of worlds
>forgot all about the terraforming candidates
>can't find them now that I've remembered
Fuck.
It's not like I was going to settle them, anyway. Just making the galaxy pretty.

>Build ringword.
>Conquer FE.
>Science officer loses its shit at the ringworld, which is beyond our comprehension.
>Amazed at the living metal.
>Nevermind we conquered a world that had some a while ago.

Even if you did sentient AI uprising is a joke so getting it effectively makes the game easier.

Concerning Mind over Matter and Transcendence, will only your main species gain the psychic traits?

what happens if you disable a mod (let's say, ships), while having a save game with said ships in?

>the star or whatever center of the galaxy is exploding, killing all life as we know it
>the whole galaxy is forced to unite to stop it for fucking once

Man, I don't think I ever had a game where the AI rebellion happened.

Yes. I have worm-loving sub-species and they've been stuck with latent psionics for over a century, so even other species with latent psionics don't get psionics.