/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh (embed)

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba (embed)

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur (embed)
>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Previous thread:

Can we just gas all the spider and ant fuckers?

Where can I see the ethics each faction in Stellaris has?

What is the OP spider from? Why do some people get so upset about it?

REMOVE BUG

homeworld best 4x

bug did nothing wrong

Contacts tab , near the situation log

Because SOME PEOPLE still believe that bugs and arachnids want to take over planets controlled by the federation, and are using the Buenos Aire attentat to justify their aggressive agenda.

It goes without saying that spiders have nothing to do with the Buenos Aire bombardement.

#SpidersLivesMatter

That's for the aliens in the galaxy, I mean factions in my empire.

What mango is the image from

It's 4chins. Regardless of what it is, anything will make someone massively butthurt.

If you hover over the embrace button it'll tell you.

1st for ants

It's "Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?"

A web novel that got adapted in a manga. It's intended to be another deconstruction of the "NEET gamer find himself reincarnated in a RPG world and make everyone his bitch" fad. The writing is decent, the translations are pretty shitty, and the manga makes the spider way too cute as opposed to the disgusting monster she is in the novel.

She also like coming out of the screen to attack you.

real combat in stellaris when

Yes, and your entire argument is "There must be something we don't know"

My argument is: "What do we do if there isn't?"

>Not him, but fuck this line of thought. Thinking that "Our doom is inevitable" is in any way a possibility for the purposes of decision making should not even be considered.
So you're going to live forever?

>Any conclusion which presupposes failure as an inevitable result is, shockingly enough, doomed to fail.
So you're going to live forever?

Is the novel in english?

Yes thank you, what a weird place to put them in

An animal fights and struggles until it dies, instead of giving up to lie down dead.

It has several translations of varied quality. I think the best one is blastron01's on tumblr, but it's also the slowest one. Otherwise, there's novelplanet.

But keep in mind that it was a webnovel to begin with, so there's no official translation. I heard it's turning into a light novel, so we might get one.

For fucks sake my original point was that claiming oil is the only thing worth investing in is retarded. Your point is that because theres a chance other things may not be as good we should just regress to a pre-industrial society that would be impossible without some form of severe population reduction.

>reply to other guy
Thats not a response to what he said, you're saying that because some things may not be in reach we should just give in.

Even your example is flawed with the amount of money that goes into medical and life extension research.

But will you die eventually, yes or no?

I know you'll avoid it, because it fucks your entire point.

There are problems in this universe for which there are no solutions. Accepting that is the first step in growing up as a human being.

Now, will you die eventually?

>So you're going to live forever?
Don't be a cheeky little cunt, fag. "Our" is explicitly referring to human civilization as a whole.

Additionally, I never stipulated that "success" needed to be likely, only possible. Even today, it's """possible""" that indefinite life extension will become for humans to avoid natural death. That's one conclusion in which success is a possibility, but not necessarily likely.

On a final point, you're also making the assumption that individual death is, in fact, failure. I would argue that it is not necessarily so, but the exact definition of a person's success as a human varies from person to person.

Thanks user.

>tfw we're still /Renewable Energy General/

>becoming a nihilist is part of growing up
Are you 12?

I'm the guy you responded to from the last thread, this is my post The user you responded to is someone else entirely.

>My argument is: "What do we do if there isn't?"
your argument a shit tbqh

No problem. And remember : spiders are friendly! Give them a hug!

Your issue is that you think that it's up to you what problems are the ones that cannot be overcome, and so you think you have the wisdom to declare when others should lie down and die.

>For fucks sake my original point was that claiming oil is the only thing worth investing in is retarded. Your point is that because theres a chance other things may not be as good we should just regress to a pre-industrial society that would be impossible without some form of severe population reduction.
I am assuming oil will run out while we are still searching for the perfect solution and nuclear war will fuck us over much harder than a willing regression to agrarian societies.

>Thats not a response to what he said, you're saying that because some things may not be in reach we should just give in.
So you don't live life like you could die, because an afterlife might exist, or because immortality drugs might be invented?

>Even your example is flawed with the amount of money that goes into medical and life extension research.
Oh god. You're like an animal, you don't even have the capacity to realize your own mortality.

>these two retards
jesus fucking christ

>we might fail
>so we shouldn't try

>My argument is: "What do we do if there isn't?"
Then we're fucked and failure is assured.
That's an unproductive and useless position to hold, and thus, we must hold true to the idea that "there's something we don't know."

Failure is only assured once you give up, and acknowledging that there is no possibility of success is the surest form of giving up.

>So you don't live life like you could die, because an afterlife might exist, or because immortality drugs might be invented?
Nice misrepresentation, nigger.
Of course we all live death like we could all die; death is an omnipresent foil to life, and it is always present in some shape or form. The point is that there is the possibility, no matter how minute, of life.

not the user you are talking but you look like these 16yo who suddenly become nihilist without even reading nietzsche, shit, dont be so obsequed with death and mortality, the point of nihilism is not that nothing has value, but that everything has value.

Accepting death =/= denying meaning.

No, you made a blanket statement that anyone talking about doom or certainty is mistaken. If that is the case, you cannot believe you will ever die, because that is doom, that is fate, that is destined and certain to happen.

All i'm saying is we should prepare for the worst. The attitude you're invoking reminds me of trailer trash that wastes every penny they earn but plays the lottery.

>Oh god. You're like an animal, you don't even have the capacity to realize your own mortality.
Thats a bit of a stretch, thinking theres a chance indefinite life extension will be achieved is the same as thinking I'm immortal?

>So you don't live life like you could die
Another massive stretch, saying some things might not be impossible so we shouldn't give in isn't the same as saying we should presume we're immortal.

>willing regression to agrarian societies
A willing regression is not possible, how fucking autistic do you have to be to think the majority of humanity will peacefully die off so we can achieve a pre-industrial society.

half of these are just random points attached to replies

>Then we're fucked and failure is assured.
No, we can adjust our expectations and simply use less. If we don't do it willingly then nuclear war from resource shortage will do it regardless.

We have a far better chance of life if we reduce now, rather than waiting for nuclear war to do it for us.

Anyone who says that Nietzsche was a nihilist has never read Nietzsche.

>one autismo arguing with the entire thread
This is actually impressive

>No, you made a blanket statement that anyone talking about doom or certainty is mistaken. If that is the case, you cannot believe you will ever die, because that is doom, that is fate, that is destined and certain to happen.
Don't tell me what I said; I said what I said, not what you said I said.

I said that any conclusion which presupposes failure as a 100% certainty is a useless conclusion that serves no useful purpose, and must be discarded in favor of, or refined to become, a conclusion which allows for some possibility to success.

Death is VERY likely to happen. It is nearly assured, by my current knowledge. Whether it be age, cancer, or some coked up nigger in the city, I'm probably going to die some time within the next century. But, there is the possibility that I wont. That is the point that I am trying to make.

And, again, this is also hitching on the assertion that death of an individual is necessarily a failure of that individual.

>All i'm saying is we should prepare for the worst.
If the worst is certain doom, then there's no use preparing for it! That's the point!

>mfw I hid ONE post
>suddenly half the thread disappeared
Wait, what the fuck just happened?

i just wanted to speak about space based games

>Thats a bit of a stretch, thinking theres a chance indefinite life extension will be achieved is the same as thinking I'm immortal?
It certainly gives you a lot in common with the devoutly religious.

>Another massive stretch, saying some things might not be impossible so we shouldn't give in isn't the same as saying we should presume we're immortal.
So even though there's a chance we could save everything with renewables, we should still reduce now just in case?

>A willing regression is not possible, how fucking autistic do you have to be to think the majority of humanity will peacefully die off so we can achieve a pre-industrial society.
Then we have chosen Nuclear War. I had hoped we were capable of more than that.

>Have absolutely nothing to do in this game because of a forced ten year peace treaty when I didn't even get to attack the fuck.

One guy is trying to argue that we should give up as a species because theres a chance that we might not manage to replace oil.

>No, we can adjust our expectations and simply use less.
Then that's not certain doom! That's not assured failure! Are you actually retarded, or just pretending?
"Reducing our consumption" is one method by which to achieve success; no one here has been arguing to just blindly roll into the future because it will all just magically work out in the end.

>It certainly gives you a lot in common with the devoutly religious.

>You're like an animal
He wants to be like a lobster or a jellyfish, two animals that are outright immortal.

Well fuck you, this existential philosophy general now!

but there's just too fucking many options, we just didnt abandoned oil because of the oil industry
>bioenergy
>nuclear energy
>wind energy
>solar energy
>thermal energy
energy defitivaly is not a problem, the problem is that we are divided, we must all unite, under one single hand, the hand of the empire of man.

No! You will accept that you must die so that a minority can live an agrarian lifestyle and die at the age of 50

>VERY likely
Certain.

>But, there is the possibility that I wont.
Nope. That "possibility" also existed for everyone who is now dead. Didn't help.

>And, again, this is also hitching on the assertion that death of an individual is necessarily a failure of that individual.
That's your definition. It's not a failure when the thing you set out to do is impossible. You can't fail at jumping to the moon.

>If the worst is certain doom, then there's no use preparing for it! That's the point!
The worst is global nuclear war. What i am suggesting is just a life without as many luxuries, which would suck, but nowhere near as much as nuclear war.

So that's a bit of a dumb question, but /indie/ couldn't help me, so maybe you can : is that any city/base-building game featuring an anthill?
I'm thinking something like XCOM, but without the tactical fights where you lose half your team, or Fallout Shelter but with actual gameplay?

Can't we adapt to a life without oil?
I've been cooking with butter for ages now.

No! Oil is the only good energy source, replacement of it is impossible!

where are the mods
I AM GOING DO MAKE A DENOUNCE!

Lies. I've killed many of both.

>Then we have chosen Nuclear War. I had hoped we were capable of more than that.
That's preferable to being barely civilized savages trapped on this rock until the sun goes out tbqh.

In the short term, regressing to pre-industrial civilization is the best "hope" for humanity.

In the long term, our current path and level of development is our only hope for the survival of humanity on a cosmic scale.

>inb4 humanity won't survive past fifty thousand years
Never presuppose failure.

>not cooking with healthy oils
OH GOD ITS ALREADY STARTED

We can already replace oil. Fuck, 5 yeards ago we got algua that can produce oil. Fast enough to meet basics demand if we REALLY run out

Solar is also getting better and better. My teacher in chemistry was one of the leader in organic transistor, basically printable (like plastics) solar panels. They were around 40% of the desired efficiency (again, 5 years ago, they porbably got closer since then)

If all else fails we got uranium based nuclear for a few 100's then we should have solved thorium problems for another 2k.

When did you give up on perpetual motion machines?

>"Reducing our consumption" is one method by which to achieve success; no one here has been arguing to just blindly roll into the future because it will all just magically work out in the end.
I don't see any national calls or movements to greatly reduce the amount of energy people use. I do see quite a lot advertising new electric cars and solar panels you can buy, and more subsidies for renewable energy.

Which is perfectly understandable, people would rather receive than give.

>can't terraform colonies anymore
well, there goes my purifier playtrhough, in the fucking bin

>I've been cooking with butter for ages now.

Get Mr. Rich Kid over here, using butter!

Oil tends to jump out of the pan. Butter doesn't.

Plus cows are cute. I like cows. Look at her little nose, I want to boop it.

It's cheap where I live. Actually cheaper than oil.

>improvements in non-oil energy sources are as likely as a perpetual motion machine

>That's preferable to being barely civilized savages trapped on this rock until the sun goes out tbqh.
Your selfish choice, not mine.

>In the long term, our current path and level of development is our only hope for the survival of humanity on a cosmic scale.
I never said it had to stop completely. Just that our chances of ever reaching that cosmic scale are infinitely lower if we nuke ourselves to death.

>Never presuppose failure.
That's a terrible bit of logic no matter how nice it sounds. That logic is what gets people to waste their lives on perpetual motion machines.

You shouldn't trust click-bait articles.

They really should increase the rate that Shroud Gods appear at because Jesus fucking Christ you could go multiple games without the opportunity to make a pact with one.

>cows are cute

But also delicious.

You don't need to demonstrate your lack of integrity by twisting my words, you know.

I've never really had that be an actual problem, it happens but its not a problem. Besides the way it does that is kind of fun, it feels like you're cooking. Some oils can affect the flavour too.

Olive trees are cute too! Don't you just want to help cultivate it!

post yfw cows go extinct because synthetic meat becomes cheaper and easier to produce

>by comparing improvements in non-oil energy sources to perpetual motion machines I'm not saying they're remotely comparable

>My teacher in chemistry
Not him, but I had a teacher in high school who believed in the debunked hydrogen engine and the global conspiracy to keep it secret.

True.
Their only flaw is that they're expensive, to get anything from a cow, you need to feed it insane amount of carbon, and it farts a lot too.
Otherwise, it's damn cute.

That's why I do my best to support the dairy industry! I drink two liters of milk each day!
I'm happy NOT being intolerant to lactose!

Wow, a femanon.

>Certain.
Wrong.

>Nope. That "possibility" also existed for everyone who is now dead. Didn't help.
Let us suppose that ten billion people all roll a hundred sided die.
Through sheer luck, not a single one rolls a hundred.
Is rolling a hundred impossible?

What if we made the dice have a trillion faces, and had a hundred billion people roll one dice each. Not a single person rolls a trillion.
Is rolling a trillion impossible?

>That's your definition. It's not a failure when the thing you set out to do is impossible. You can't fail at jumping to the moon.
Ignoring the assumption that death is a certainty, I have a feeling that you're trying to bait me into something like "humans can't fly unassisted naturally, therefor there are impossible scenarios"
No shit there are impossible scenarios if you specifically constrain them to be impossible; good thing is that humans generally figure out ways to get around constraints.
We sure can't jump to the moon unassisted, but we can get there nonetheless.

>The worst is global nuclear war.
You didn't address my point. If the worst possible outcome is certain doom, there is no point in preparing for it. Reducing the number of luxuries we consume is not preparing for nuclear war, it is an attempt to AVERT global nuclear war.
Is English your native language? I feel like you're missing a few important subtleties in this discussion.

This fallen empires stuff looks pretty dumb

They have armies to obliterate the galaxy and they are fallen? The fuck?

Even total war is not as dumb with their deathstacks out of thin air

College prof. I was doing a double with geology due to pure chemistry being dead in my province. Ended up flunking out of both, but that's beside the point.

Trusting doctorate level people is generally fine when it pertains to their field.

>we should give up as a species because theres a chance that we might not manage to replace oil.
It's the "giving up" that i'm addressing. Surely there exist problems in the universe that cannot be solved?

Logically speaking, there's no way to ever prove that anything is impossible. Do you think that means every proposition is automatically correct? Can't prove that oil can't be replaced, so it must be replacable. Can't prove you won't die, so you'll live forever, can't prove god exists, so it must.

It's shitty logic and you can act like a cunt all day but it's still shitty logic.

Theres nothing feminine about enjoying cooking or liking trees. Theres also nothing feminine about my penis.

You should be campaigning for everywhere to open Cow zoos so that synthetic butter and milk doesn't make the cuteness that is cows go extinct.

What you are proposing is a massive reduction in the human population which would result in a nuclear war when people realise their only choice is death.

>synthetic milk
Over my dead body, you fucking piece of shit.

>I don't see any national calls or movements to greatly reduce the amount of energy people use. I do see quite a lot advertising new electric cars and solar panels you can buy, and more subsidies for renewable energy.
Because that's an acceptable alternative?

We can either a) reduce our energy consumption to match energy production or b) increase our energy production to match energy consumption. Both have the same net effect of avoiding an energy crisis.

>Your selfish choice, not mine.
It's the only possible choice

>I never said it had to stop completely. Just that our chances of ever reaching that cosmic scale are infinitely lower if we nuke ourselves to death.
And regressing to a pre-industrial state has the exact same effect; we'd still have to reindustrialize, redevelop, recivilize, just like we already have, except this time with even LESS resources.

We're nearly to the crest of the hill, and we're tired, our legs are shaking and our breath is ragged, but let's just keep going and get over the hump rather than going back to the start.

>That's a terrible bit of logic no matter how nice it sounds. That logic is what gets people to waste their lives on perpetual motion machines.
And for a functionally infinite gain, those individuals decided it was a worthy pursuit of time. While they did fail, there was always the chance of success, that being that our current understanding of physics was wrong.
It was a tiny, infinitesimal probability, but still non-zero.

>being able to replace oil is one of the universes unsolvable problems
>nothing can be proved incorrect so investment in alternative energy sources is the same as religion

They got bored of blobbing all over the place and went into holodecks. How long do you last in a gsg before you get bored of blobbing, 2 weeks? They lasted millions of years.

>Wrong.
Jesus isn't going to save you, no matter how much you pray.

>Let us suppose that ten billion people all roll a hundred sided die.
Through sheer luck, not a single one rolls a hundred.
Is rolling a hundred impossible?
We don't know the max value of the dice we're rolling. We, in fact, cannot know that. Bad analogy.

>No shit there are impossible scenarios if you specifically constrain them to be impossible
What do you mean? How do you know anything is impossible?

>We sure can't jump to the moon unassisted, but we can get there nonetheless.
Not a jump, then. You could also say that the laws governing pendulums don't actually work because if you cut the string it behaves differently than a pendulum should.

>You didn't address my point. If the worst possible outcome is certain doom, there is no point in preparing for it.
Oh, my bad. Doom means Fate. Not death.

>limited funding
>many people
>only research that shows results gets funding
>no incentive to lie
Really? That's an awful noble opinion of humanity you have.

But user, it will taste exactly the same as regular milk, you just have to pledge your soul to the synthetic milk vat.

>Surely there exist problems in the universe that cannot be solved?
Only if you constrain them in such a way that they must be impossible.

>Logically speaking, there's no way to ever prove that anything is impossible. Do you think that means every proposition is automatically correct?
No, of course not! It simply means that we don't know if it's possible or impossible with our current knowledge.

No, fuck you. You can have your fucking synthetic beer if you want, but touch my milk and it's fucking war. What the Qu did will be nothing compared to what I'll do to you. I will rain fire and brimstone all over your naked body until you'll beg for death, mark my fucking words.

Well i keep trying to make the point that everyone dies eventually but that seems to be in debate.

We don't have to breed nearly as much.

Literally no one has said we probably won't die. You just keep autistically misinterpreting "indefinite life extension may happen" as "we're all immortal and should live like we're never going to die"

Never tried the psionics (due to being a materialist atheist. Fuck religions)

How good are they? The ascendency menu is far from precise

How can I earn monthly influence? I've hit a wall where I'm only earning 1 a month.

No one has put it into debate.

The world isn't going to accept being told that only a small minority are allowed one child, once again, you would result in a massive war.

>only purge method allowed for authoritarians is deportation

I can understand xenophobes having neutering and death squads for balance purposes, but it puzzles me as to why even fanatic authoritarians aren't allowed to work pops to death

They're broken.

Rivalries, some techs give it and keeping factions happy.

Some research helps, then it depends on keeping your principal faction happy and upgrading what they can give you. Also rivalries can give a bunch, but invite wars so be ready