/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Werebears edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date and pointless):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ESNRQFEzirA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Recommend me a new way to play adventure mode. What are some cool mods or world gen options I could add?

>adventurer crafting reactions for coziness
>disable the hell layer and have lots of volcanos
>go build log cabins inside a temporarily drained and rapidly refilling volcano

These are neat.

You can already craft a lot in the base game. But I suppose adding metal crafts would be nice.

[Blocks your FPS]

Masterwork

There's literally nothing wrong with masterwork

I can't tell which thread we're using so I'm reposting here.
I'm new and I'm really enjoying the game but I have two questions.
What are the best ways to deal with cave adaptation? I heard people roof the map, but that sounds like a lot of work.
What are animal people for? The ones that appear in the wild and not the visitors that is.

t. shitposter

Nothing right with it either...

So I fiddled around with the seeds and other settings...

I deal with cave adaptation by keeping my dwarfs underground. Any dwarfs that need to access the surface should do so regularly anyway. If I want any of my military dwarfs to be able to fight above ground I schedule them to patrol some above-ground burrows for a month every year.

Animal people are for training your military.

>What are the best ways to deal with cave adaptation?
have people stand outside every now and again so it doesn't set in. try an outdoor temple/zoo/statue-garden/tavern
>I heard people roof the map
doesn't work
>What are animal people for?
what do you mean "for"
they're just strange fantasy wildlife/half-humans

I wondered if I could catch them and turn them into valuable members of society and then breed a fortress full of hybrids.

Not yet.

But as of version 0.42, entire populations of animal people occationally migrate into other civs. It doesn't happen in-game yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was added in the future.

>Adventure mode
>Start without a bag
>I found a bag, but I can't wear it.

Am I missing something?

Bags can't be worn - you're thinking about a backpack.

Oh, thanks!

>try to dorf
>cant dorf

it's not too bad just give it a go m8

youtube.com/watch?v=ESNRQFEzirA

This is the best story I've read in a long time. Thank you.

Stop shilling your own shit.

Stop being an insufferable cunt.

No

stop fighting fools the elfs are at your gates!

Did I fuck up?

I have a mildly dumb idea for a mod.

Why don't you make it a reality?

He has given up.

>entire fledgling fort killed by a zombie before the first caravan even arrives
gg

The last guy starved to death because I abandoned the fort. He was stuck in a tree, and actually would have starved for real.

Because I can't into creature body types.

But I kinda want to make a Final Fortress XI mod. At least vanilla with the standard races and beastmen.

>can't into creature body types
How? The wiki has everything you need to know about it.

Be a town guard
>Patrol town
>Look for hooligans
>Wait until they assault people because you are a lawful keeper of the peace and can't set a bad example.
>When they do bad things, hit them until they yield.
>Lecture them on the important of following the law until they agree.

I might give it another shot eventually.

Nothing ever happens though

Every few years or so it does

his arrow don't have a point...

Right, and the "sword" doesn't have an edge and the "spear" has fucking flower tied onto it. They're elves. All of their weapons are literally sticks.

but his spear do have a point

Ellipsis are for faggots.

...... ...... .. ....... .... ........................ ............................... ..... ........ ... ............... ........................ ................ ..................... .............. .......... ..... ............

Is this morse code

>be town guard
>hang out dancing and boozing it up in the different taverns all day
>consider stumbling from one to the next to count as a patrol route
>every so often come across a giant zombie polar bear chewing on a merchant and casually walk the other way
>be walking back home one night
>mostly stopping to lean against walls and vomit
>see what look like glowing yellow eyes in an alleyway up ahead
>catch what sounds like massive feet stomping around in an implausibly sneaky fashion
>then the wind changes and you remember you forgot to call in sick
>it's a full moon and you can smell weremammoth on the night air already

>call in
But user there are no telephones in DF

-. ---

I'm so glad that after the myth/magic arc we'll get an ability to continue worldgen from any point of gameplay so we could learn and witness what happens to our dwarves after we leave them be. Gon b gud.

You cuff a local kid upside the head with your trusty mug, tell the little bastard you'll give them a couple coppers to go to the keep and explain how sick you are, and a couple more if they believe the story.

Why do you think we're getting that? Toady has said explicitly in a FotF in the last year that we're not getting that and probably won't ever.

i heard dwarven mugs are also made out of kids

FUCK YOU TOADY

> Toady has said explicitly in a FotF in the last year that we're not getting that and probably won't ever.
Wait really? I remember him saying earliers it'll happen when the myths are done. He might've changed his mind then, goddamit.

But that's like a vital feature for coolness

That's goblets...

He never said it would happen, he said it would be cool but damn near impossible currently.

>check a modded not-dragon in worldgen
>she gets hitched, has a daughter, kills 115 notable people and steals a bunch of shit
>and then an elephant kills her in 214

I wish I had used a more consistent note naming system. And that I hadn't forgotten to put notes on a bunch of levers. And that I could zoom to buildings connected to levers and pressure plates.
So if there are any genies in the thread, there's my three.

Hah, as if, the third wish is always to undo the effects of the first two wishes when they end up backfiring.

As the saying goes, "when life gives you lemons, dump any magma you've got handy on top of them."

The third wish would kind of invalidate the other two.

did you set up pipes to flood the caverns with water and then magma?

Indeed, otherwise you have to live with the dreadful results of your wishes being interpreted in an ironic fashion by a godlike being.

Yes. The water didn't come from the pipes for that purpose though, they came from other pipes that are meant to deliver water elsewhere, but which also have a cavern drain. A drain which I opened unintentionally. The plumbing designed to flood the cavern with water is still full. I've never actually used it, though I was planning to do so soon.

>unintentionally created an obsidian factory
nice

It appears that while the cavern and my pump stack were conspiring to siphon the lake away someone else decided to make the best of it as well. Good luck little ladies.

they're amphibeeous

I've never seen a world with little patches of glacier spread around like that. Weird.

Why can't my goblin of elven society not wear copper high boots? Are the boots too high for her little goblin legs?

Probably too large

Oh shit.
Maybe the name *large* copper highboots and the fact, that the description reads "sized for humans" should've made me wonder.
Thanks.

Yeah, in my experience it's really hard to find goblin sized armor, unless you go to a dark pits.

It's not that bad, since goblins can wear armor sized for dwarves. You can easily get some from a player fortress.

Worldgen fortresses usually sell armour pieces in their depots.

>goblin sized armor
I seem to fit dwarven armor, so I guess I'll just have to stab a few of those to get somewhat decent armor.

Since the thread needs to be bumped anyways I'll just throw in a couple of other newb questions:

>Is sleeping from dusk till dawn enough to get me fully rested?

>Is it safe to sleep in a deserted village?

>Is there something that makes me drowsy especially quickly, like swimming or traveling in general?

r8

As for 2), bogeymen will not attack you as long as you are indoors. If the houses still have roofs, they're safe.
Safe from bogeymen, that is. It's possible for any critter wandering on the map to ambush you in your sleep, regardless of where you are. Against these, the only advantage populated towns have over deserted ones is the ready availability of meat shields.

There are also the wildlife ambushes, though. Since they spawn directly on you, they can kill you before you even wake up.

I don't know if wildlife ambushes can happen in abandoned sites. It sure as heck doesn't happen in populated ones.

Looks pretty/8

Aside from (painfully going through) barrows is there a way of making taverns/temples based on "skill'. EG an elite/legendary area's only.

>invaded
>dwarf leader in an activated squad carrying 10 rock blocks
>Half the fuckers are moaning about the rain

No.

hmm.
I was really hoping to make an "officers" lounge for the better dwarfs

We can only hope that future versions allow us to create "reverse burrows", that is, areas where only selected dwarves are allowed to enter.

This will also be a good way only allow workers into potentially dangerous areas (i.e. magma forges and the occational magma animal that sneaks in through them).

Agreed.
I posted in the last thread about not wanting dwarfs to enter the caverns, HOWEVER I really don't care if McbumfuckSoap Maker wonders in and don't come back.

You can make burrows that only exclude the areas you want restricted and then assign all of the dwarves you don't want to give access, to that burrow.

I don't get this attitude.
It's easy to train any dwarf up from dabbling to legendary in the various industries. And barring that they can join the military. Or they can be haulers.

Yeah, but that's counterintuitive, and 900% more work, considering the small amount of people you actually want to include.

My suggestion would make it much easier.

it's a new player meme.

people who use it probably don't even know about v-p-l.

>invaded
Pull the drawbridge in, closing the gate. A moat around the fort walls (soon) full of iron spears.
Station my 20 iron-clad marksdwarves on the fortification and fire volleys into a swarm of goblins, while 50-dorf leather-armor militia prepares at the gate.
Lower the bridge and sweep across the broken goblin force with the militia.
Spend next fucking year cleaning up the battlefield and dumping corpses just to have it finished before next siege ;_;

Been doing this for past 25 years, I think all the cities around my fort have fallen, dwarf and human caravans have stopped coming around year 20 after constant reports of shit being taken by goblins 24/7

I think I might try a terrifying biome next

Arm yourself well struggler, and always butcher a corpse as soon as it bites the dust.

Do not go into the mist.

Hey I tried to draw something Df related. Should I do more?

Get a better camera/scanner and some actual drawing paper if you do.

... and the severed part sails off in an ark!

Is it worth to make platinum weapons?

yes

You can't. Platinum can only be made into weapons through rare strange moods. They make good warhammers but that's it.

>haven't played dorf fort in a while
>I'll dl the latest version and st WHAT IN THE MOTHER OF FUCK IS THIS SHIT

Is toady a fucking deviantart using, cock-sucking furry? What the fuck?

One of my modded races likes to settle in glaciers so I set the variance for temperature/drainage the same, then set the weights so there was the same distribution of high drainage+low temperature to get little chunks of glacier.

God damnit, diplomacy has failed.