Hongcouver startup?

Anyone in Vancouver Canada wanna start a tech business of some sort?

Or meet up for some bantz on the subject.

Me:
- been through a startup in Silicon Valley (on the tech side primarily as I was the CTO, but also had experience with business plan, financial modeling, dealing with investors/VCs/etc.)
- knowledge and experience covers pretty much the full range as far as creating software and IT infrastructure

Interested in machine learning and big data, maybe fintech but not as knowledgeable in the area, but open to any interesting idea which passes basic validation.

No hardware ideas thx, investors in the tech sector don't like big capex from my experience talking to a bunch of them, and not into anything requiring local IRL services (food.ee type stuff).

Post nudes and maybe I'll consider.

But I'm a dude so I can't post any of myself. Also I mostly bang azns — it's Hongcouver after all — so it's all I got. But I can only post worksafe in this board. One per reply

Post a timestamp hoe

Did you even read the text you fgt

tits or gtfo

I'm in Vancouver but idk shit about business, just trying to learn right now

씨발? 너 한국 사람이야?

I'm in Kansas City but doing a tech startup. Worked past 3 years at 2 startups in Chicago and Kansas City in management and software dev.

Studied finance and comp sci in school.

Basically i took 2 startups and got them (back) on track from a technical perspective and helped them determine their MVP and then moved on after not getting a sweet equity deal and getting bored.

The first company is on track to become a billion dollar company imo.

Hi OP, I am also from Vancouver and it seems like we have similar goals/interests. I've a business background. Would love to chat some more but not sure how to PM on this platform

I'm not a girl you FGT, pic is of some Chinese I banged, which you'd know if you'd read the post.
>씨발? 너 한국 사람이야?
No, but of all the Asians I dated around here, I like the Koreans the most.

As long as you're not the Alan that works for Air Canada

So what are your skills?
I know all about getting screwed by investors. Never again.
Business background is good. Still around?
My Gee mail and kik are both drawknob

If you know so much about investors, then you'd know they hate it when founders have only known each other for a short ammount of time.

Also, why are you limiting yourself strictly to software, with no real world implication?

Another one, why only in vancouver? Cant you work remotely with someone in another country?

The less options you have senpai, you're only limmiting yourself

Oops, my comment about investors was meant for
not

And before you take that as a personal attack, it wasn't, I just want to know why the fuck anyone should go into business with you. Gotta prove yourself.

>you'd know they hate it when founders have only known each other for a short ammount of time
Why would you tell them that?
In business, effectiveness is more important than the truth, and I can tell quickly if I get along with someone professionally and can be productive working with them. As for investors: I just tell them what they want to hear.
>Also, why are you limiting yourself strictly to software, with no real world implication?
Can't tell if serious. In a practical sense: scalability with minimal overheads (not to mention that I've the greatest knowledge and skill there and I should leverage my competitive advantages); in a philosophical sense, QM+thermodynamics pretty much shows physics and information theory are not separate things and information is in fact the most fundamental thing in the universe (see Bekenstein bound and the holographic principle).
>Another one, why only in vancouver? Cant you work remotely with someone in another country?
Having worked with remote teams, I can tell you there's no substitute for colocation.

That makes sense to me.
Also, I see your point about tech companies with lower overheads being advantageous, but I launched my startup exactly 7 months ago, and it RELIES on real world dynamics.

I'm less than a year into my startup, and its already profitable, and I'm sure I can scale it with time.
(UK btw)
Good luck anyway user.

>Having worked with remote teams, I can tell you there's no substitute for colocation.
This alone tells me you'd be a terrible person to work with.

this alone tells us ur more into shitposting than business

>artificially limit your hiring pool to the minuscule fraction of the world's population that lives physically near you
>forced to move to a high density, high cost-of-living area to find someone to hire based on your own self-imposed rules which induce candidate scarcity
>work in an office or, worse, a "colocation space" and incur a large monthly expense in exchange for dramatically reducing your productivity

It's like you don't even want to be profitable.

Agreed. Teams IRL are always a nightmare already, its only worse online. Working remotely within different teams is manageable but that's about it. There is nothing like communicating face to face.

The only way I see this possible is between IT and sales/marketing

Having low costs is great, but it doesnt make up for shitty service, bad coordination and misscomunications.

Sounds like you just suck at communication.

Have you ever worked with other people ? If it was just about me everything would go great.

It's like assuming you're safe driving because you do not drink and drive. If a fucking drunk is aiming straight at you there is not much you can do unless you saw him coming.

People are unreliable and utterly stupid, if they are not, they are expensive. I'd rather monitor my slightly expensive but perfoming team from a 2K/mnth office than skyping and talking in the ERP with morrons and liers who will screw me over first occasion they get.

I work on a remote team every day and it's great. Definitely beats all the jobs I had where I worked on-site, even the ones where I had private offices.

>morrons and liers
You know what they say about thinking certain things are true of everyone you meet, right?

I'm happy tempting it works for you. However, you're not what I'm looking for. Does that mean you should crap all over my thread? While I love shitposting on /b/, I expected a little better in Veeky Forums than dissing others for not sharing your opinion and style of life and work.

You agree with two opposing posts? Are you sure you meant to link to the first one?
In any case, I'd actually work with someone like you remotely, because you understand the pitfalls of remoting.

>tempting
Oops, swiped up at the wrong word. Should be that"

It's not true about everyone obviously but it's common enough to be a real problem.

I am not saying it's impossible but there is no denying that it is difficult to run. Unless you already have teams of people you know that you can merge together remotely I don't this working often enough to take the risk.

You said unequivocally that "there's no substitute for colocation" so, sorry, you don't get to turn around and cry about others not sharing your opinion. If you want me to treat your opinion with kid-gloves express it as an opinion, not as an undeniable fact.

Good luck with your next failed business.

>You agree with two opposing posts?

Ahaha I meant to say I agreed with the first but somehow thought that linking the original would make it clearer.

Anyway, I am actually struggling with the very first step of my website and doing a thesis so not really available at the moment but why not.

What are you thinking about ? My background is in Marketing and management; got experience in content writting, link building, affiliation, adwords, community management etc...

You say you would like to work with big data, I am not so much of tech guy so I may be wrong but I think it can be interesting to apply to marketing. I know of a company that basically offers its customers to analyse their DB and identify clusters of customers to be targeted. They cater to successful companies and cost a lot but there might be a way to make it cheaper and target a different audience. What do you think ?

>you want me to treat your opinion with kid-gloves
No, I want you to stay on topic. I posted here trawling for potential business partners. As you already knew you're not going to be one, the fuck you doing in this thread? Are you so bored with your business that you can't resist fucking around here?
One possibility in that area is to target small businesses rather than enterprise. You can still have optional customization per client as an additional revenue stream (and that would be a good part of the work to outsource to Jainilabdeen, Srinivasaraghavan, Binderdundat, and their buddies).

Yes that's what I mean.

Having a light version for all the small businesses around could be very profitable.

It would still end up in the price it should be for high end service. You have leverage because company is used to services and knows what to expect.

Would need competitive analysis though, I doubt the market is completely void of competition. Although Canada may not be the best option to start a service based business in, what are the pros appart from convenience ?

I know I'm not a part of this convo, but what exactly do you mean when you say "small businesses"?

Brick and mortar store owners, restaurant owners, corner shop indians?

>
>But I'm a dude so I can't post any of myself.

Why the fuck not?

Not OP but theses businesses either don't need exposure or have dedicated plateforms already. Would be more like your every day online website that does not know how to use his DB efficiently and basically hand it over to us and use it the way we tell him to because we know his industry and customers better than he ever will because so much data.

That's why I said outsourcing the customization service (except for key customers where top notch service is needed to maintain the brand). I'm not interested by localized service-oriented industry because it's such a barrier to scaling.
Because this is a worksafe board and I don't want to get banned. I might post one when I'm ready to abandon thread.

Localized ? Of course not. I am just talking about taxes and subventions.

The idea would be to lure in lots of customers with free light version and use the data for more customized versions. Very high end customers can only come with developpement when you actually have a team to work with. And even then they won't be the core market because competition is already strong there.
I think focusing on medium sized companies is probably best.

There is also some potential for cross selling. Since you get in contact with companies looking to monetize their traffic, it's just a matter of time before companies looking to advertise get in touch with you.