Price of Law School

I enjoy learning about different ways to jew people over, and I have taken a couple paralegal courses in the past. I got an A+ on the wrote memorization parts, but B- to C+ on the writing parts.

I am not the best writer/reader but I love the freaking subjects (not the bullshit criminal shit).

In California you don't have to go to law school, but nearly 100% of lawyers do.

Is their a practical real way to find out if I have what it takes in the brain department to become a lawyer?

How expensive are the cheapest law schools in the country, and what are their pass rates?

Or is being a lawyer (with no intention of working for a firm) just an expensive, hard, and not all that great?

There's no such thing as a cheap law school.

And don't bother going to law school unless you go to a top one.

I just want to be a cheap lawyer...
So I can sue my neighbors, class action lawsuits, and write all the trusts for my family.

Go look at the job reports for lawyers. It's an oversaturated degree. Sorry you're about 20 years too late for the law train.

>In California you don't have to go to law school, but nearly 100% of lawyers do.

I know nothing about this, but is it even possible to get a job without a degree and license?

As the guy said above, the field is oversaturated to the point of critical mass. Even if you can practice without the formal credentials, would you even be able to get work?

This isn't so I can get a job.
I just want the education, for free/cheap except time and hard work.

I think I can make my own job, since I enjoy real estate, stocks, class action lawsuits, and filing for benefits, etc...

I used to work in IT, but I was never trained past desktop and a bit of SQL/web dev.

I am awfully good at making money, by making people give it to me and by finding under priced stuff, and selling it for market.

I want to be a lawyer so I can have every license from RE agent, taxes, forming companies, writing housing options and suing every company that mislabels their products or overcharges me a penny.

I dare say "I have let my inner jew, come through."

If you literally don't care there are lots of desperate law schools. Make it your lifes mission to get a LSAT of 170-180. Retake it 4 times if necessary. Whatever just get it.

I have no idea what your college GPA is but if it was 3.5 you are solid fucking gold.

If you have no BA get one in Economics or Philosophy. Keep that GPA 3.5+ then boomerino.

Now you should be able to get into a Tier Four Law School with extremely low tuition or possibly for free.

Here I just googled this for you.

Today, only four states — California, Virginia, Vermont, and Washington — allow aspiring lawyers to take the bar exam without going to law school. Instead, they are given the option to apprentice with a practicing attorney or judge.

So you can also try that.

Wow thanks
you make my dream sounds very accesible

>very accesible
I'd work on grade-school level grammar and spelling before you attempt to take the LSAT. Just a tip.

they don't let the test taker use spell check?

OP i can really relate.

I am studying Comp Sci but law (specially business law) is fascinating and yes I would also love to have a formal law practicing license just for the knowledge ( I am particularly interested in business structure law, and business statutes etc).

This might sound funny but an interesting idea that I found (from watching "Better call Saul" of all places), is to see if there is an "online" law degree available and get your license from there?

a law degree means nothing, if you can't pass the tests

but yah, online would be ideal... especially free online lectures from Berkely (it is a public school after all).

Third year law student here
ask me anything

before you ask
>should I go to law school ?
the answer is
>unless you can get to a Top 14 law school OR you have a full scholarship DON'T bother

Why?
Is law school super difficult?
What are the demographics like?
Do most students want to work in criminal or civil?
How old are the students?
Do they work, or are they full time students?
Do most of them have a some money saved up or deep in debt?
What city is the school in?
Are you happy with your decision to go to law school?

>I am awfully good at making money
Well, I'm convinced.
Since we're on a related board, can you help me negotiate a better price for my Mongolian yaks?

Take the LSAT

If you're too stupid to figure that out then you have no chance

>Why?
I did not know what to do. I fell for the "a JD will be useful for any job bro" meme

>Is law school super difficult?
Being in the top 10% is extremely difficult because of the Curve. Everyone around you will most likely be extremely brilliant and successful at school, which means that you will live in a competition ridden environment for 3 years.

>What are the demographics like?
Mostly white and liberal. Considerable amount of SJW and activists, but most people will leave you alone.

>Do most students want to work in criminal or civil?
something like 10% of lawyers end up doing criminal work. Most of Biglaw jobs are corporate work, which is mostly civil. Transactional and Litigation are the 2 main areas in business/corporate law : transactional attorneys will handle mergers and acquisitions, restructuration, corporate governance, etc. Those guys will never step in court in their life (in fact, most lawyers will never plead in front of a judge, that's the litigator's job)

>How old are the students?
I'd say that roughly 95% of the students fall in the 20-29 age bracket. (mostly 25-29)

>Do they work, or are they full time students?
some work, some work part time, some are full time students. some law schools will not allow you to work during 1L, but it depends. I worked part time 2l and 3l.

>Do most of them have a some money saved up or deep in debt?
No idea. I never ask people about their personal finance. Student loans are quite popular though.

>What city is the school in?
Won't tell.

>Are you happy with your decision to go to law school?

>>Are you happy with your decision to go to law school?

No, I was too young and lacked foresight when I took the decision to go to law school.
If I could do it again I would go for a Finance degree.

Law is a saturated, competitive and elitist market. if you're not from one of the top14 law schools (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, NYU...) or if you're not in the top 5% of your Law school, you will most likely not land a "biglaw" corporate law job (which is what most people have in mind when they think about being a lawyer).

Obviously not everyone wants to go into biglaw, but those jobs offer the most competitive salaries and the best growth potential. Some people are also motivated by the partnership track.

Your last chance if you're not in one of those 2 situations is having connections at a law firm.

Basically think of it like a degree in Finance, but 10 times more difficult and 10 times more competitive.
Networking is the most important skill you will need (and you won't learn it at school).

It's extremely cut throat, everyone will try to fuck you over to get an edge over you on the curve.

Have you tried kidnapping the yak herders daughter, or at the very least challenging the yak herder to a wrestling match?

Join the military and then go into the JAG program, instant amazing resume plus the added benefit of technically being a vet even though your "service" was just being a lawyer that handles cases with personnel instead of citizens for 5 years.

Pays for your loans, plus it gives you a great resume padder

Wow it sounds like your fellow students are a bunch of ass holes.

Are district attorney jobs easy to get?

I see the entry level DAs advertised all the time, getting paid quite low but nice benefits.

I know my local head DA and he makes 350k year, + pension, but I am in a nice suburb of Bay Area (works about 4-6 hours a day).

Sam Zell went to lawschool, finished it... worked about a week at a law firm... HATED IT and started running apartment buildings instead... now he is a billionaire (very litigious business owner). Jim Kramer went to law school, hated working in the profession, now he is an tv entertainer.

No... I enjoy marijuana, freedom, and business over working for the Circle Jerk Patrol

My dream is to do both once my service ends, (I did't go JAG, I went officer) constantly taking practice tests for the LSAT and I've gone from a 156 to a 168 (need to break that 170 fuck) in the past year of not-too-heavy study. I'm done with serving in two years, so in the last year I'm going to be absolutely killing myself studying for it, want as close to a 180 as I possibly can.

So once I'm done and finish law school, I'm hoping to start using my salary (I live frugally as it is when not deployed, and I have no desire to get married before 30 desu, all of my salary has gone 40% to my savings, 5% to fuck-around money, and 55% to my brokerage/retirement accounts) to buying a small rental property or two, and work to build up and maintain it until I can start building a foundation of workers to do that for me, and get more property.

I want to be making bank at work and not have to worry about advancing too far into the legal world to have a good salary.

I smoke too, as does 99% of the military enlisted/junior officers, just not when I'm deployed clearly.

Service isn't that bad, I enjoy my work and got the position by busting my ass academically and physically for just 3~ months of bootcamp/officer school.

>should I go to law school ?

>the answer is
>unless you are a hook nose kike, DON"T bother

fixed that for you

Is a concentration in law and entreprenuership decent enough to look interesting for UCLA? I want to do entertainment law, hopefully get hired by a big conglomerate and or a good yet small movie studio.

don't study law or entrepenuership in college (seriously, they are garbage)
Accounting is best major.

Im not allowed to join USA army, I might consider English army though...
No way they would let me be an officer though.

I might to reserves just so I can "serve my country" and clean my non-honorable record

one thing I have heard about JAG is that they fire shitloads of officers after their first 6 years...

military might be a good start for someone, but only idiots or wanna be politicans last a long time.

Climbing rank sounds like cancer after your first contract as an officer, or enlistee.

Lots of people like those cushy desk manager jobs in government, while they get to pump their pension at the same time