/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

FTL Snare edition

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris
- Wiki stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend
- Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization Resources
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.co
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX)
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Last thread :

Haha no spider, fuck you you fucking faggot

first time buildin' a ship
am i doin it right

Mining stations.

Spiders BTFO

r8 muh spess dragons

gonna go for aylmao slavery

Spiders out REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

First time I'm getting the swarm.

>adding an edition
Fuck off, autist.

Use the spider thread if you don't like it, he made one.

you need afterburners, also replace shields with more armour

I guess you're RPing but warrior culture is completely fucking useless, as is anything having to do with ground armies

is 0 shields the meta?

false

Someone explain why PSC is supposedly so broken, please

Dear /civ4xg/.

Whats your honest opinion about Galactic Civilizations III?

Wormhole is the best one but in multi you need to protect the stations and even then they remain a liability.
And in single player you could as well use warp because it's the less tedious and you don't need this kind of edge over the AIs.

33% of your monthly research output as bonus points per body surveyed by your science ships. Essentially, you're always researching at near double speed.
Don't worry, the AI prioritize it too.

a lot of the AI will start to use anti-shield end game so yes

It literally doubles your science output if you do it with 3 survey ships. 2 survey ships each with roamer trait is good, too.

It's fucking busted and needs a rework. Shouldn't be in the game, completely ruins it because you have to take it every time. Someone else taking means they're gonna be twice as far as you, no matter what. Enjoy using destroyers while they drop battleships and cruisers with kinetic artillery on your bitch ass.

Meh

But you quickly run out of things to survey when you meet faggot empires who close their borders to you

So turn around and go somewhere else. What, are you playing on 20 star sized galaxies?

bland except for the morality system, which is cartoonish and silly

N-no
Do you guys use warp just so you can more easily make use of that?

It does suck with wormholes since you're limited to where your generators can send you and it's best for warp since it has no real drawbacks like hyperlanes having dead ends.

I play wormholes.
Stop playing hyperlanes only, it sucks.

My question was from the point of view of someone only ever using wormholes
I guess you immediately jump as far ahead as you can and build another station there?

Wormholes are great to deal with isolationist empires closing their borders though
>Very well then, I'll just bypass your blockade, it's not like I wanted to see your systems

>>Do habitats extrude borders?
>They have the same border extrusion as a frontier outpost.
They have the border of an unmodified frontier outpost range. If you have +border techs/tradition/xenophobe/ascendancy perk it will be tiny in comparison to a frontier outpost or planet.

>empire going relatively well
>get hyperspace
>find human empire(i am xhuman)
>have the triple of military strengh as him
how do i war?

No, don't post here. That thread is double, let it die.

So do they ignore all border techs and perks?

No, I build new stations when my science ships run out of things to explore.
Then the techs help.

that's the old thread pham

Also, jumping past 4 of their systems to directly attack their homeworld
Never gets old

So you wouldnt recommend playing it?

I kinda want to play something while waiting for Endless Space 2.

As a wormhole user, in mid game I like vassal/integrating a warp using empire for their science ships since it's annoying to setup wormhole stations everywhere in the galaxy.

Is Materialism still worth it?
Wanted to do a Egalitatian / Materialist megacorp.

Play the second. Less expensive.

This motherfucker walks into the bar and slaps your gf's ass with all four of his arms simultaneously. What is your response?

I really wish it didn't take Warp 2 to bypass galactic arms when wormholes can do it more or less from the get go though (I hate how wormholes tend to make me paranoid about expanding beyond homeworld range). But yeah hyperdrive is just fucking yourself over either way.

2nd game is basically 3 but with more factions and not as pretty. Crusade is gonna change 3 quite a lot though so no point getting it til that's out.

Yes. I hoped I could use habitats to claim territory but their sphere of influence is tiny compared to a +60% range frontier outpost.

Isn't the only real problem that you lose access to the best ascension path unless you love the worm like he loves you

Well thats shit

I already have all three mate.

Only 20 hours played in second, tho. I didnt like it as much as Endless Space for example.

And when Crusade will be out? They said something about "spring" before but we are already there.

Defensively they're really annoying though
>running around on my border trying to catch a hyperlane faggot fleet
>they evade me
>fly straight to my wormhole station system which is the only one my fleet can reach
>[sweating intensifies]
>they ignore the station and instead keep flying to one of my planets
Thank you Wiz our lord and savior, I couldn't handle this game if it had competent AI

Is second game worth playing? Not him but I got all 3 in the latest humble bundle.

Why would he slap my hand?

To assert dominance

also distant worlds

>at war with an AE
>3 of my 100k fleets in orbit around his homeworld
>walk away from the computer for 5 minutes
>come back
>all fleets utterly decimated
>AE still has a 120k fleet floating around
>reload to the lucky autosave that happened while I was away
>AE 200k fleet completely tears it's way through my 300k worth of ships, all empowered with the galactic contender perk
What the fuck happened?!

>construct ringworld using finite minerals
>extract potentially infinite minerals from it

Better clench my buttcheeks, that guy is after me.

... Declare war? I dunno, I don't understand your question. You know there's a diplomacy screen, right? You click on it, you click on the race you want to rape, and you click on "declare war" or the local equivalent.

Thats the same for literally every mining thing n the game.

>fly straight to my wormhole station system which is the only one my fleet can reach
>tfw you finally manage to trap the hyperdrive faggot between two fleets and an inhibitor trap as a warp user

>leaving an unpaused game
I get anxious when I see people do planet management without pausing, this would probably make me kill you if I witnessed it irl

You don't construct planets and asteroids using finite minerals.

this i know, i mean wage war, how control fleets what do, minutes ago i dint know even how set patrol

You're mining from something with finite materials.Ring Worlds just chuck every body in the system into the ring.

So what's the optimal ascension perk setup?
>core system limit
>voidborne for habitat spam
>two ascension path perks for whichever path you want

Also burds are a lot cuter than spiders.

The cost for constructing is for the physical throwing all the planets together and shit
I don't see you complaining about every regular planet tile having infinite food, energy, and minerals on it

10% research speed

You can just order your fleets to attack without declaring war

I pick border range or research for first perk.

This is pretty early for sentient AI to pop up in my experience. I ain't complaining though.

Mining ringworlds is kinda weird, they should rather have boosted food and energy productions within it but forbide mining.

I don't understand, I'm saying the ring world complaint is stupid because its the same for everything else in the game.Why are you arguing with me?

Research, borders, imperial prerogative. Rest can wait or is useless.

But 10% is so little when you're at like 30 a month

Just put all your military ships in a fleet, click the fleet, and order it to go in enemy territory.

Oh boy, is it time for the mastery of nature discussion

but it stacks up

It's active through til the end of the game though. Mastery of terrain isn't, for example.

but loss of reputation

You actually mine asteroids that are close by, not the ringworld.

Read the tooltips for once, retard.

Isn't that for habitats?

I'm just saying it doesn't need to be among those first four
If your initial point was to take research as the fifth perk, I apologize for misunderstanding

>build ringworld out of minerals
>decide to mine the minerals you just put there while degrading the integrity of the ringworld
Only matters if there's other empires near you
That's habitats

Still saving up a few months when you research early tech costing 1000~2000 and make 33 a month instead of 30. And then with the lab researches.

desu, it's good for tiny or small maps where you're going to win fast and need stuff fast. Bigger maps you can get more venues for expansion, more resources, more time to take out blockers, and to terraform planets to your species' specs.

You make it out of the planets in the system, the mineral cost is for the frame, unless you think 110k minerals is a massive ringworlds worth of mass?

I'm getting close to unlocking habitats for the first time, aren't they completely fucking OP?
>stack core system bonuses so you can have like 14 without even getting the tech yet
>build habitats everywhere
>you can now control about 52+ planets of at least size 12, most of them with OP energy/research buildings

Doesn't the description for ringworld mines say you're mining local leftover asteroids? Shit, maybe instead of not being allowed it should run out after some time.

I got cocky. That was the kind of fleet that would probably take 20 years to rebuild.

The AE fleet has 1 titan, 77 battleships and 141 cruisers.
I only had 60 battleships, 60 cruisers, 60 destroyers and 60 corvettes, divided up into 3 fleets of equal size. Bad spacing meant they could rip through 1 fleet at a time.

On one hand they're solid sources of energy and research, otoh, idk how they stack up to the research penalties and I'm not autistic enough to figure out that math.

Can I only get 5 ascension perks in one game because there are only five tradition trees?

What map size do you guys usually play on? So far I've always used medium size with slightly more AI empires than default but I've been thinking of trying large
How much longer does a game take? And do you run into the problem where you are giant and can beat anything but still have 80% of the galaxy left to conquer?

You can get ascenion perks from research, the limit is the amount of slots you see.

Is habitat spam the current year meta?

1 have 12 times military strength
2 mass all ships into single fleet
3 set ground combat tactics to maximum overkill
4 drop ships onto capital

or you could just kill trade ships but that's less fun

They count as planets and they are small but thry have big bonus to energy and research.
Honestly you need to do maths to know if they are worth it.

Holy shit we have an actual 4 year old in this thread who can't count yet

I alternate between medium and huge.
Huge takes noticeably longer, there's some more variety, I like it more. But uh yeah, I never won a game on huge yet.

>habitats extend borders
>mine asteroids
>do research

so basically habitats should just outright replace space stations

What do you do with primitive civs in Stellaris? Do you prefer to get the +6 society from them or do you purge them if they live on a planet you can inhabit?

I didn't know you can get ascension perks from things other than filling out the tradition trees.

meant to reply to

why you must have fuckin 12 times military strengh?