/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

you feel uneasy edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date and pointless):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/AbSWiMND
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macros_and_Keymaps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm a new player be nice.
I normally embark with very low history, high beasts and high savagery and I try to embark on savannas and by oceans.
But what should I do if I want plenty of various wild creatures and visitors?

you feel uneasy

>various wild creatures
Exotic embark biome.

>visitors
Longer history and bigger world.

At least play small world, medium history.

hows this doc document better than rim world?

Begone fagnut.

it's not, so go back to the rimworld community and stay there

That's actually a pretty cool encounter. I mean, you can't just run away from it like you usually can.

Rimworld felt uncomplete in my opinion, I played it for a day and when the last tech of the tree was done I felt like I had completed the game. There was nothing more to do in it, all the random shit had already spawned and now I was just dragging it out before leaving the planet.

Should I mess around with the number of civilizations too? What is a world with a high number of civilizations like?

speed 9.9/10?
did you take too much skooma?

Build me a fortress worthy of Mordor

I usually leave it at the default.

History and world size are more important.

Well, you can if you run at the speed of light.

Something like that, yeah.

What tileset is the most complete?

Tilesets are always complete, graphics sets are updated or unmaintained at this point, but I don't mess with them anymore so you'll need another poster to help ya there.

Note that there is a reason why it has the crappy little edge oceans: it forces the elevation grid to plop the mountains in the middle together and cut them up with erosion/rivers/lakes instead of trying to spread them out more.

pastebin.com/AbSWiMND

no

>tfw

...why the fuck would you think anyone but a piece of shit would be talking about that fuckbag?

>no tetrahedrite

magnetite is a fickle mistress

seldom it is where it will do most good

tetrahedrite is your loyal wife, it might not be flashy and hard and cutting, but when your chips are down you beffer believe that copper helm will stop that GCS from chomping your dorf's brain

praise tetrahedrite

Giant central tower with a lava moat in temperate badlands? Pretty easy actually.

>Tetrahedrite fags

>You are allowed to talk about only Veeky Forums memeunity accepted content

Sojuuus ne ruschimij respublika svobodi

>Not building everything out of green glass and kaolinite for max swag

> that single dwarf civ isolated in the mountain valley behind the lake in the bottom-center
comfy eternal dwarf realm because no boats

Got a download for that map, or worldgen stuff that can make it?

guys help!

too much food!

funny how when you retire your fort all the foodstuff seems to disappear though

>you are allowed to talk about anything but seriously fuck that guy

Fuck, didn't even notice the little guy.

pastebin.com/AbSWiMND

Dump it to traders.

>not using your most loyal wife wood and stone to cage the GCS and wear sweet silk clothes instead

How crashy is that one tool that lets you see multiple Z levels? It seems super cool but I hear it causes problems.

Never used it, but I've heard that most problems are limited to adventure mode.

>most problems are limited to adventure mode.
>I almost exclusively play adventure mode

fug

>tired of digging square fortress
>haha time for circles
>half an hour has passed and I haven't unpaused the game once
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Now it's time you make a Hexagonal fortress.

It'll bee a hive of activity, I'm sure of it.

>not going with romboids

so what happens when you retire a kobold adventure in your fort,do they retain all the equipment that you smith'd for em or do they dump em on the ground?

That's perfect.
Here's one from me, fresh from my previous game.

Did they fix that glitch where your items scatter in your adventure mode home?

Who else here fell for the elf meme?

>want to improve my relationship with the elven traders for exotic animals and nice fruit
>spend all summer having my metalcrafter churn out little golden figurines depicting a dwarf and elf greeting each other near a willow tree
>wait all autumn and winter to trade and offer the figurines as gift
>spring comes
>they send... an ambush!
>probably angry about diplomats being killed or confined during the near constant goblin seiges
>manage to kill them all, but not before one of them strangles one of my new spear dwarf recruits to death

NEVER AGAIN
CURSE ALL FRIENDS OF NATURE

>planning any future that has elves in it
You reap what you sew my friend.

>trusting DF elves
>ever

whala, it is fish

Nice replies faggot

I sea a lot of time and effort went into this. Good job.

>2017
>still no way to genocide an entire race
Magma mist showers when?

where do (you)'s go when they die?

hated elves since day one.

>.gif

Wasn't someone just the other day talking about how they bit a goblins tooth out?
It Just happened to me too

square

>wood

>Large Grip of Virginity
>Fingers of Confidence

k

>that RNG

That seabitch could siege my fort any day (if you know what I mean).
Really, though, nice work.

>channel out 6x6 frame above an aquifer
>drop the center chunk down into the water
>start carving my stairs down the center
>mfw the aquifer is 2 Z thick
Can I I recover from this or am I stuck attempting another cave in elsewhere with a larger natural plug?

What's the jap equivalent to Dwarf Fort?

A japanese man who can read english

Haven't touched this for a couple years now, because various things got too frustrating, namely UI, controls and hacks too buggy.
Have there been any improvements to those since then?

Fun game but too wimpy to get used to the ascii art, shit gets so confusing when you don't know what the majority of it represents and always feels obnoxious having to look it up etc. The art is a design choice and it's perfectly valid, the controls on the other hand felt completely arbitrary and made no sense. The problem there, similar to the art in that it's confusing and creates a lot of overhead in the learning curve but what really makes it annoying is that the design of the controls don't really feel like they contribute to anything unlike the art does, like it's made purely to be a pain in the ass to use.
Then comes the hacks to sooth those issues and of course they make the game unstable and buggy as all hell. Swear I'd use the most minimal setup and lightweight components and the game would still shit itself with memory leaks, random freezes and what not.

Oh well I digress, carry on my dorf bros

They controls are that way because they are being used to control systems that were implemented at different points over a long period of time. Like 15 years in fact.

And FPS death is representative of the heat death of the universe. Or so I tell myself.

Elite or Oolite

>mfw you really can just sit out sieges if you wait long enough

had 50-something gobbos, trolls and beak dogs just get up and leave

what's the benefit of having an adventure turn into a vampire,I was planning to carry them into my fortress proper but I was looking for the were-curse ;_;

>you get to succ people
>no need to breathe
>no hunger
>night senses

so I can bleed them dry they did toward my mayor

Elona

Are you even sure it's only 2z thick? If you weren't expecting the second I certainly wouldn't gamble on there not being 3 or more z to it. You should use a different method.

>tfw I'm a retard when it comes to aquifers and I always find some way to fuck it up
Thanks.

use macros, my guy. they're built right into the game, no external applications needed

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macros_and_Keymaps

i typically make a few circle macros and a 3x3 bedroom w/ doorway macro, and some workshop layout macros as well

the trick of course is not letting your macros control you instead of you controlling your macros

also have you seen this? useful

>FPS death

>human endeavors

how do you into library's like an elf

Who DF tattoo here?

Elves never run their own libraries.

They only utilise the ones built by superior races.

Oh lord

tree niggers btfo

Climb a tree, read the leaves, then jump out.

kys degenerate

i bet you make aboveground fortresses and approve elven, goblin and human petitions

>Write book on woodcutting
>sell to elves

is it possible?

is it still degenerate to make above ground fortresses if you're playing humans?

can you choose what your dwarf's write with a manager?

Not gonna lie this book scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Turning a page to one of the illustrations was like a jump scare to me. My older brother had it and I never touched it.

I would imagine the dwarves would write about things they know about so if you trained your record keeper to woodcut then made him craft the book he might eventually right one?

Do scars make dwarves be less useful in combat or something? I'm having legendary level dwarves die because they're missing shots that they probably shouldn't have.

It's like a might and magic map

At what point do you risk cave-ins?

When you have a section of rock completely unsupported.
Regular cave-ins haven't happened since the move to 3D. You can hold up a mountain with a single wooden support.

wat to do wit dis

if you don't need the extra meat you can "O"ffer them to a trade caravan when they arrive next season

in farmer workshop if i put :

>Milk Animal R
>Shear Animal R

Will it repeat only the milk task or will it repeat both one after the other one.?

don't you like leather?
Tengen toppa, or that titan's anime show.

>just generated a world that somehow ended up with a kobold town
How? What? Why? What will happen if I visit in adventure mode?

well this is a first here my scribe was just creating a book when she claimed the queenship of the mountains,should I be afraid ;_;

Sadly, the relevance of that isn't coming until (probably) the start scenarios update.

It's "Voila". Dirty french word.

That big mouth eel is mental.