/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Definitely ded edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade
>Skywanderers

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Shadowverse, found in the shadowverse general, /svg/, not in this general

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/mxgnrn.webm
steamcommunity.com/games/427520/announcements/detail/1290688221264397316
factorio.com/blog/post/fff-187
youtube.com/watch?v=gET-nhVdKi4
youtube.com/watch?v=8G4QgQ1pUlA
youtube.com/watch?v=bkdNmuHUrd8
youtu.be/ayzmF5162tM
phobosorbust.blogspot.com/2015/09/early-asteroid-mining.html
starmadedock.net/threads/craftau-shutting-down.28841/
pastebin.com/Ki7BeCqu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>hitting the bump limit but not when the people who can be bothered to make a new thread are around
fug

Why do two identical machines with the same control inputs always end up going in different directions

different atmos pressure, different humidity, differrent wind, etc

. :^) .

Would be cool if Besiege had all that and more complex aerodynamics

>lost WWI first aerial combat footage

Continuously compounding rounding errors in position and orientation?

>WWI
>jets

Besiege has non-deterministic physics. Not sure exactly what the RNG affects, but it's there.

Why would they do the same thing Bad Rats did?

>that
>jets

lmoa

don't see any propellers

d e d

This is clang.
my.mixtape.moe/mxgnrn.webm

Factorio speedrun is going well. I'm at 01:33:07, out of the 8 hour time limit. Current status:
>red/green science production is at 0.5/second
>15 labs, using up science packs at the full rate for any tech with a 30s or shorter timer
>5 oil pumps, just stockpiling for now (no refinery yet)
>10 MW power generation, all from steam

Next steps are setting up 2/s steel production for steel furnaces and the future blue science line, and researching flamethrowers so I can burn down the biter base to the east. There's at least 6 spawners out there, and they keep attacking the generators. After that I'll probably set up another 15-20 MW of generators, since even a 0.5/s blue science line requires about 13 MW.

so you agree that it isn't a device that is basically all propellers

steamcommunity.com/games/427520/announcements/detail/1290688221264397316

HAPPENING

Factorio getting nukes:
>factorio.com/blog/post/fff-187
>we probably didn’t mention before that you can make uranium ammo and tank shells from U-238
>and U-235 can be used to create warheads for rocket launcher missiles which erase about 50 tile area per shot of anything in the way, including you if you don’t run fast enough

cum

still mad about no cooling towers tho

This is clenk.
youtube.com/watch?v=gET-nhVdKi4

not if it's a turbojet instead of a turbofan :^)

Would be nice if they would release the recipe data early so people can update the wiki and figure out new designs over the weekend

> if you put a tank into the rocket, you receive 100 raw fish, because that would make perfect sense
I can understand the logic behind this. Perfectly normal compared to what spengos taught me

can't wait to nuke some bugs.
also - I wonder if they will add scaling enemies to go with infinite upgrades

This looks neat, is it a mod? Or is that coming in the update?

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-187

it comes

It's funny though, how the de-sync or whatever actually made the second half of the webm look kinda natural since both planes weren't flying at the exact same angle all the time.

>advanced circuits 5sec instead of 8sec?
>will nuclear power be a viable alternative to solar in its first pass?
>fitting *7* fucking science packs around a lab (are bots the answer?)
>rocket science is extremely cool and fills a gigantic hole in the late game
>coal to oil, how does it work?
>extremely portable fluids
>new boiler/steam ratios+builds
>tons of other shit

neat

clonk

So, any news on the memedrive?
>captcha: only fire exit

It's a fuelless ion thruster. Same as last time.

THIS TUESDAY

youtube.com/watch?v=8G4QgQ1pUlA
Anybody have more music that focuses on a beat instead of a tune that doesn't go full double-bass-pedal?
Yeah yeah I know fucking FF, but this theme is based around a clockwork boss

Meaning: have they tested it in sphess yet? Does it produce thrust? Are they working on optimizing it yet?

>fills a gigantic hole in the late game
not really

It's not real content,but a loop. They turned rockets into another science pack.

Maybe we are getting nukes, tho.

youtube.com/watch?v=bkdNmuHUrd8

ded

yea not necessarily new content - but simple logical stuff like that does fill a void. someone looking to make a megabase would have zero reason to make a rocket - but rocket parts consist of a major part of a factory and a nice substantial steel drain. by adding that loop (and the science packs) it is a sort of expansion - big bases are going to change drastically.

the new science packs are already a huge resource drain. the standard persons base is growing by a large margin

>they
Who?
Someone somewhere is probably working on research related to the EM drive.

>Does it produce thrust?
To my knowledge, that was confirmed more than half a year ago.

Is literal Lego gaem /egg/?

youtu.be/ayzmF5162tM

no

i just realised this would probably rustle your jimmies
Personal PIN Number

RIP in peace

Did Avorion get any cool new features added since february?

I use that on those ATM machines

>Shadowverse in the OP again
For what purpose

For giggles, obviously
Didn't we have Hearthstone in there instead at one point?

Mini tenk?

Do we not now?

...no?

Yes.
What I want to know is why it was always card game people who complained about this.
Tagging all the generals again when

They play card games regularly enough for the strong autism to be there (the cause of their mild annoyance), but aren't intelligent enough to either always have the general open or simply read the OP they click on when they search (the cause of their annoyance exploding at a moment's notice).

You will be issued with a personal PIN identification number. Don't lose it or you'll lose your PIN and be unable to access our local-area LAN network.

Wasn't there a guy complaining because he wrote a script to automatically open his general? He came up saying his script kept opening /egg/ instead, because we had /svg/ in the OP. He eventually said that he could just filter /egg/, but he kept complaining because autism.

The thred is ded enough that tagging all the generals will last like, 4 days with one go. We can promise not to do it again next time and still meme the board.

I don't think he even had a script, he just had bookmarked, and he was mad that he actually had to read instead of blindly clicking the only thread on the page.

Yes hello I am tenk

Is this the Shandowverse General?

no this is autism

Dials, buttons, sliders, knobs, or touchscreens /egg/?

Buttons

I'm more partial to levers, neural interfaces, and switches that have a hinged cover over them.

Do we have an IRC channel?

no, /egg/ isn't a namefag circlejerk
there are a few groups for serbs

Nah, I'm just an autistic ANSI C programmer interested in engineering games, looking to share programming/tech related info with peers.

phobosorbust.blogspot.com/2015/09/early-asteroid-mining.html

Is this true? In space, do mines come in bags?

Then could you tell me the best way to set up a serial link via RS232 in DOS

Not sure as I've never used DOS.
If I had to guess, you probably need to use the x86 I/O instructions, as I think at that time the I/O ports were still used for this sort of thing.

At the moment I'm stuck without a machine with any RS232 headers, so I'm doing crap like bitbanging GPIO to emulate what I need.

A L G O D O O
L
G
O
D
O
O

Much like Kanuckistan, in space everything comes in bags.

Top 4 Starmade serbian in the world shutting down today due to ded game with no content. The starmadedock thread about it is a shitstorm of white knights vs bored players.

starmadedock.net/threads/craftau-shutting-down.28841/

I used to play on it before one of the universe wipes. Not sad to see it go except that now there's literally no permanent Ausfag servers. At least starmade netcode is decent in high ping.

Pic related is dev reaction.

>tfw playing with your bros
>build giant spherical space station at 0, 0, 0
>blockaded by enemy ships
>a neutral party ferries materiel to you as you develop the station interior, content in your exile

Starmade was fun. Lack of strayan servers makes me sad.

crew update fucking when

They still haven't implemented the spawn station they were attempting to hype a year and a half ago. Game is ded in the water.

Smaller tenks

Partial Factorio changelog: pastebin.com/Ki7BeCqu

One of the devs (Klonan) send some random youtuber the preliminary changelog earlier today, instead of posting it publicly for some reason. Said youtuber made it into a 40-minute video, consisting of him reading changelog entries and giving """commentary""" (no doubt to pad it out so he could fit in 6 goddamn ad breaks). I watched the entire fucking thing and typed up the good stuff for the pastebin above. For someone who's "super hyped" and who put "1000s of hours" into Factorio, he seems remarkably clueless about long-standing development plans.

What about levers?

>HD graphics are toggleable
this is brilliant, I was worried about that, I feel like low res shit suits factorio better.
>- the map seed is used to generate unique maps, instead of just shifting the
starting position
I had no idea this was the case, interesting

Ayyyy a fellow lever guy

I completely forgot about levers, knife switches, and probably a few other things.

Yeah, damn good thing it's toggleable, otherwise I'm not sure my graphics card could handle it.

That seems really performance heavy for what it is, but then again I know nothing

Well, for 0.14, the factorio/data/base/graphics/ directory is about 125 MB. And that's compressed. Decompressed it could easily be 400-500MB. Multiply by 4 (since you're doubling both the height and the width of each image), and you get something close to the 1800MB the devs mentioned.

Reposting for (You)'s

Have it. You deserve it, user.

>looks cool as fuck
>shitty clip art "Frame"

The thrust produced in a vacuum chamber pushes our ability to measure small amounts of force to it's limits.
It seems possible that the force measured was always thermal effects and the miniscule thrust being recorded now is just a result of the miniscule number of particles to act on.

You should gone and made like a frame outta gears or some shit, otherwise it's great.

Make a better one den. Let's have a fuckin coat of arms bidding war here til we have something transcendent.

Well last thread someone posted this

Less werk for me, right

You could have at least stylized it to fit the rest, don't be lazy when it counts user.

Whoops, guess the pic was early access. Here's the patched one

Definitely more industrial. I can dig.

>doesn't fire actual hornet's nests

We need to make one that fires 2mm Kolibri

How would you do that, compressed air? Maybe a plate or cup in the back that makes a good seal to fling the thing more efficiently