> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

sfml-dev.org/license.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think my game is pretty good so far and people will like it when I finish it

Should I quit my job to dev full-time until its done?

Anyone tried using sdl_mixer with emcc?

Good morning /agdg/!
What progress are you making today?

Show the game, but no. Almost definitely no.

pretty good =/= profitable

You are naive if you think your game will become successful purely based on its merit as a game, you also need some serious marketing work, not necessarily scummy shit like botting but just having the skill to get your game out there and being a social butterfly.

it's not inkscape, it's every vector program, you either export a bigger image then scale it down, or apply a blur filter in inkscape, you need to play with filters, but why the fuck are you using vector art if you're not exporting to svg

I think my idea is pretty good so far and people will like it when I finish it

Should I quit my job to dev full-time until its done?

try to actually present it to others before getting crazy ideas

works on my machine

Write a imagemagick or gimp script.

>he doesn't even toolchain dev

Hahahahahaha
Yes definitely

How do I get my game out there? Why do the successful devs here never share their secrets?

>AGDG says that if you exercise you'll be more productive
>start exercising
>exercising just becomes another excuse to procrastinate
>less productive than ever

I'm so tired. Every day I dev, getting the game to the state where I'd consider it finished seems farther and farther away.

but joocy, right?

> successful
> here

Here's a litmus test. Slap it on Kickstarter.

If people are going crazy for it and you raise a decent amount of money, sure.

If not, your odds are much worse.

goog still posts here

Are you the same guy from the last thread? That's wrong. If you have a good game, which usually implies it's also at least presentable, all you need to do is to show it at a place, which has people who'd like that type of a game. The quality will carry it from there.

You're supposed to drop something you do for exercise not just slap it on to your dailies.

Like maybe exercise instead of shitposting :^)

Aren't Kickstarters nowadays just another marketing tool for people who already have enough demand for their game, at least for 1MA?

Can you really put up a unknown game and make like 10k, assuming you did all the work with a demo, trailer, and all that?

>all you need to do is to show it at a place
Ooooooh, that "place".................

if you dress everything up nicely and put in the work necessary to get the word out, you can do anything.

I'd never heard of yacht club until the shovel knight kickstarter. I think word of mouth goes a long way, and if a game is good people will talk about it.

There's no universal place you nignog. Find a forum discussing your genre and post there. Your ability to find it is unrelated to you being good at social interaction. Why do I even bother.

sdl says taht certain functions should only be called from the main thread or whichever thread called setvideo

so my engine can call them from any thread, this can be a source of lockup, so I implemented wrapper functions that insert a userevent into the messagepump and block on a semaphore before returning, while the underlying SDL function is called from the main thread on receipt of the event, and then signals the semaphore.

seems to work nicely

Artist/Musician here looking to learn code.
Anyone here use CodinGame? If so did it work?

My game's genre doesn't have an active subreddit.
What now?

I've never shitposted in my life.

What do get out of working at that level that you couldn't get using a more high-level library?

I've never seen why I'd want to use SDL over SFML, for instance

Well that sucks, might as well end yourself then.

Then submit it to one for "other/niche/artsy/whateverthefuckthenextbestfitis" jesus fuck engage your singular brain cell

Reminder

Fun is a buzzword

Define "fun".

severe lack of lewd games in here

I disagree

>1st time you realize the code for your project you've been diligently copying and piecing up from various tutorials for a week is fucking unsalvageable and you will have to start over and this time actually think about what you're doing.

>make threads about your game's genre on /v/
>build up some decent discussion without mentioning your game yet
>change your IP just to be sure
>steer the conversation towards upcoming games and carefully mention yours together with other ones without sounding like a shill
>do this several times
>you now have a fanbase

>/v/
>actually liking games
>actually buying games
>actually playing games

it's free

That's a nice fantasy. Maybe one day it will happen.

>tfw your game gets posted on /v/
>tfw response is both good and bad

>find someone on /agdg/ you don't like
>make obvious shill threads on /v/
>they now have a hatebase

>he actually went to /v/ and posted his unity project #49

>Walk underneath window
>Someone drops piano on your head
>You are now dead

fuck

sfml-dev.org/license.php

That semaphore is never going to be seen or used outside the calling thread anyway. You don't actually know what you're doing, do you?

>trying to keep the /v/ audience all to yourself this blatantly

>post as amateur game dev on /v/ looking for ideas on how to get players who are bad at your game to not be able to play it
>feed on the delicious entitlement rage

>/v/ audience
no thank you, they are all yours you madman

How's your game going? You are making a game right?

I was making one, yeah

>he doesn't make his own engine using a good framework

I need to finish my tools first

I added a new aerial spinning attack that works like the one in Megaman Zero.

wrong thread

I spent 8 hours making one character's sprites for 4 directional walking

is this normal

Shit I thought I was on /v/. Instead I accidentally created video game discussion.

what are seriously some good places to shill

I'm sure your mom would buy your game

I have done nothing but try to learn modelling.
I'm not even sure I am successful at learning it.

>Lumberyard out of fucking nowhere

Daily reminder that the number of devs who "make it" divided by the number of devs who attempt to make it is 0.0001.
Adjust your expectations accordingly and enjoy this fun and rewarding hobby!

Writing an Android plugin in Unity to select an image from camera roll.

How do I read the image from the URI? (and then get it into a texture) I've already got it so that the URI is parsed to the actual file path, but I think I'm too tired to figure out this last step.

and just over half of those who attempt cannot wipe their own ass without a tutorial

that really depends on how large and detailed they are and how many frames the animations has

I've been doing basic move/action set for my player character for almost a month now and I'm not finished yet

Does this shit even exist? I never succeeded to launch it, their launcher just take account info and do nothing, never launching whatever it supposed to launch, not showing any errors, not showing any signs of something happening/gone wrong at all.

It's just Cryengine with Amazon's networking services and shit, there's absolutely no reason why an indie dev should ever use it.

I'm not a neet and have a day job that makes money.

I'd just much rather make a living by making games, even if it means a dramatic cut to my personal wealth.

But you can't make it if you don't have a game either.
Welcome to any hobby ever, music and art are the same

At this point it's purely hobby for me. Pretty nice having a comfy job and being able to come home and make vidya.

Who knows maybe I'll make something worth selling, but that isn't my goal right now.

For a long time Cryengine could have catastrophic crashes if you had a wacom plugged in, there's a reason no one uses it.

and 90% of those who come as far as to follow a tutorial drop after first FATAL ERROR if they can't get a reply in the comments in under 24 hours.

HeartBeast has an excellent 30+ video GameMaker RPG tutorial.
1st video has 600,000 views
halfway through it's down to 50,000
I would say it's a nice illustration of what I'm trying to say

Some people say it have more sane architecture than UE4, so why not? Except it doesn't even start.

Uh oh, consider me intimidated. I'm just shivering from looking at the quality level of 99.99% of projects posted here in these threads. I sure have a high bar to jump over!
How am I ever gonna compete with Steve's "I made some boxes move" progress post or Lil Johny's "Rock paper scissors" game?

>tfw you don't need money to meet your vision of "made it"
>tfw already made it
Feels good, man.

Probably it's just that people realize the limitations of GM and switch to making their own engine ;)

Just doing some meshing passes now that the blocking-out of the level is complete.

Showing side-by-sides of the previous BSP geometry and the subsequent static mesh geometry to give an idea of what sort of changes are being made.

So far it seems fairly performant but going with a complex-collision-only model for actual geometry (since I hate invisible walls on 'detail' surfaces in platformer-type games, it's annoying to try for a jump you should be able to make and then be forced off) could potentially have a performance impact down the road as the tri count increases, we'll see.

Really LOVING the foliage tool, too, it's super performant and easy to use. I'll probably wind up doing it for all of my detail-meshing, including stuff that isn't "carpeting" areas (like rubble or stones that will be randomly placed).

I can't speak for the 'architecture' but I don't think it is remotely worth using over UE4.

In my experience UE4 is better in every regard besides foliage and the ease of landscape painting, and when you look at the few games who actually do use it, they tend to have a lot of foliage and landscapes.

First time I have heard that one.

>wasting time making your own engine instead of just using a superior 2D engine
dummy

Can your "superior" engine handle 50000 sprites on screen, each one with separately computated positions chanding by different laws constantly?

yeah sure that's pretty basic

>50000 sprites
>separately computated positions
you saying "computated" notwithstanding, isn't that just a bog standard GPU particle emitter?

Unless you're talking about running the thing on a pocket calculator at 500FPS, I feel like any engine can do that.

Yes, Godot can handle that easily.

I see no situation why you'd need 50k sprites.
There is a reason why people distinct sprites and particles.

Nope, I'm talking about active game objects with collision detection, of course.

is that supposed to be remotely impressive?

>mfw the engine I'm using supports millions of particles without a problem
>enginedevs thinking they are hot shit for having a barebones toy that naturally runs faster since it has literally no features
lel

can we get some dev music going on here

Lies. I'm the one who made godot's bunnymark, it chokes on 5000 objects.
Any descent danmaku games. 50k is little exhageration, yeah, but 20-30k sprites on screen - easy.

who /ludumdare/ here

I'm kinda nervous

If you've already made it, then it's time to change your definition of made it my nigga

shit

Does your particles support collision detection?

you will never have a game with 50,000 anything on screen faggot
and I'm talking about YOU specifically, not DOOM 2 100,000 revenant maps

Quite the contrary, it supposed to be basic functionality that most popular 2d engines lack.

Me, im hyped