/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

Hobby edition
This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Bullet Soul
store.steampowered.com/app/544580/

Ghost Blade HD
store.steampowered.com/app/577910/

Zangeki Warp
store.steampowered.com/app/564040/

Caladrius Blaze
store.steampowered.com/app/386770/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

Blue Revolver
store.steampowered.com/app/439490/

Danmaku Unlimited 3
store.steampowered.com/app/450950/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:
Poowarumi
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812914421

Graze Counter
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899022724

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dBdLUP8bZps
youtube.com/watch?v=m4WVH4_MBLU&list=PLfCXYXqWjWirympmpEQXj0kycfCPwT4vQ&index=4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>That's because most people aren't enthusiasts about anything at all
that's rich coming from a guy who plays his favorite shmup only for few hours a week. when it comes to games, only achieving something can be a reflection of your enthusiasm, buying collector's edition and other crap means you love crap, not the game.

That image is a bit creepy.

>that OP
don't

if you don't own the game you have literally never played. you can download mame and play an emulation of it, but that's all you'll ever experience, an emulation. if you liked the game so much you would buy it and experience the way it was meant to be played.

it's a gift from top scorer of shmupg to keep the normies away
>the way it was meant to be played.
with a shit score, lol?

More like top autist of shmupg to draw in the human garbage

you are here so i guess it's working.

I'm very loyal to shmupg

Wow the second boss of battle traverse is a big difficulty spike on very hard

it's a big difficulty spike even on hard and normal. bosses in butttraverse seem to be the hardest part.

I feel like the third boss is worse. Even the fourth and fifth feel easier.
How do you unlock the hardest difficulty, anyway?

The wavy pattern in his second phase gets me every time

you mean extreme or whatever it's called? you have to beat very hard afaik. also there is even harder mode after extreme called simple, but it's so hard it's more of a joke.

is DU3 any good

>Wow the second boss of battle traverse is a big difficulty spike on very hard
he's an absolute bitch, you can safe spot the first attack and noth to south tap the 2nd then i tend to spend bombs on him.

>I feel like the third boss is worse.
Theres more of a system to it which is easier when you get it, try some stuff in practice mode.

>How do you unlock the hardest difficulty, anyway?
just credit feed through vhard.

>bosses in butttraverse seem to be the hardest part.
absolutely, the last stage is brutal however.

I wouldn't even call extreme harder desu or at least not much just different, it's almost like the dev was mocking cave with it with the ott faux slowdown. the tlb in hard 2-all is miles harder than extreme mode tlb btw theres one clear online.

No. Only decent doujins dev is Astro Port. Everything else is kusoge.

heres the 2-all for battle traverse youtube.com/watch?v=dBdLUP8bZps

The tlb is pretty ridiculous.

stop forcing this caveshit meme

fuck off pedo cunt, this is shmup chat.

>file deleted
ok which one of you normals reported it?

likely no one, more likely some1 saw it in catalog.

>tlb is a resource check
hate this meme

i do to and i hate looping games, thats why i say very hard is the king mode.

agreed, 2 all in this game is for masochists

not even that its just unbalanced, vh has a consistent balance throughout where as hard has an easy first loop snooze before rectum annihilation at the end.,

>easy first loop snooze before rectum annihilation at the end
that's like every 2 loop game ever, which is a real pity.

yep i think one of the best things cave ever did in later games was just develop 3 1 loop modes instead of the endurance 2 loop bs.

>cavedrone
>calling anyone a pedo cunt
topkek

>cee
>cavedrone
there are less than 4 cave games ive ever put any effort into. Honestly and i know this will get obv as fuck yous but if milestone had their games on steam id never play anything else.

oh my god, dfk leaderboards totally fucked up

After playing Kamui and Alltynex 2nd again, I must say Saiter Skain is actually pretty kusoge.

Even Ether Vapor is better than this.

are you that novice guy? play cave, raizing etc. you'll realise that all these are poojin kusoge. jk

holy shit the fucking stage 2 boss in crimzon clover is literally an incarnate of rng bullshit. I mean seriously most of its attacks are nothing but rng and it just gets worse and worse every second during that fight no matter if you destroy most parts of its legs on sides or not because it always manages to find some way to fuck you over with the neverending rng bullshit including but not limited to randomly making that aimed punch either way too much to left or right from where it was supposed to be aimed

but if thats not bullshit enough then theres its last pattern which is literally undodgeable if you havent got its health low enough and havent managed to time your breaks so that the bullet cancel wipes most of its shit so you can destroy it before the rng bullshit overcomes you. the oversized sprite and overly fast movement with any ship makes it so fucking bullshit it cannot be defended in any way because its literally nothing but rng. "should i make the last pattern challenging but fair? fuck no fuck everything" t. dev

good to have you back rnganon

I just have been playing a lot of ketsui lately and my motivation to play crimzon clover has been low

however I come to these threads daily but I just dont have anything remarkable to post other than the blogposting about rng bullshit obviously

Interesting way to look at it, but I'm not a fan of armchair psychology. I do love my games and music, and I love having them physical. That's it.

I'm just burnt out on DBCS. I love it, but it drains my soul because I'm just beating the same bosses for the 1000th time now. I spent too much time on AC mode before going into CS mode which is extremely tedious at times. Not sure if I'll ever recover, I am brute-forcing a few sessions every week though!

Besides, my favourite shmup is actually G.Darius!

How do you know how much I play my shmups anyway?!

SITER SKAIN is great you faggot!!!!!

Going for a 2 all?

>I'm just beating the same bosses for the 1000th time now
it's what we all do here
give up or get your shit together, becouse few sessions a week won't get you anywhere.
>How do you know how much I play my shmups anyway?!
becouse you are an attentionwhore duh. someone posted a pic of your steam page where you played barely anything but cs:go.

see here

yes I got 1all ages ago but I keep making stupid mistakes on stage 3 boss and stage 5 in general which prevent me from getting to omote. For the past 2 weeks only thing I have been improving is stage 4

I get distracted by other games sometimes, whether it's because my mates want to play them or otherwise.
But it doesn't mean I'm not enthusiastic about shmups. I don't need to give up or get my shit together, I'll just keep playing at my own pace till I make it.

Also how am I an attention-whore if someone else posts a pic of my Steam page? That doesn't really follow. Besides, it was Cee, and it was funny.

You are wrong!

>Besides, it was Cee,
was it fuck mate, i've only ever posted krauts and that was back in vr days i think.

>CCWI

Any tips for getting good at Type-II? The shot type has always fascinated me and I was implementing something like it in my own project (doesn't feel anything like the one in CCWI though and that is probably to my discredit). I think I know that I want to line up the options vertically for easier point blanking (especially on bosses) but for the stages proper do I want to spread them as far as possible before locking their positions for maximum coverage or do I want to cluster them up a bit and keep an 'option entourage' moving around with me for more concentrated firepower?

Well it had to have been you. It read like you anyway. And nobody else on here has my Steam I think.

Hang on. Have we been arguing about this passion shit now? But we already argued about it yesterday! Kek.
Or maybe not? Not sure who's who in these threads desu, mate...

Generally you'll want to spread your options when in Break Mode and Double Break, but outside that you have to route how you'll manage your options. They just won't be where you need them to be without memorizing it ahead of time.

Stage 3 boss, stage 5 midboss and helicopters giving you shit I'm guessing? Been having the same issue, getting pretty sick of it. Maybe loops just aren't for me.

>I'll just keep playing at my own pace till I make it.
maybe if it's an easy game you'll make it, otherwise with such a slow pace it would take years if not decades. but whatever.
>Also how am I an attention-whore if someone else posts a pic of my Steam page?
so avatars don't count now?

can't really complain about speed while playing type 3,

I will make it! And sometimes I play a lot, just not right now.

I also don't avatarfag. I just post some Ti2 pics every now and then when it's appropriate to my post because she's cute! I mostly post normally though.

its not the midboss but the section after it during which those somewhat aimed big blue bullet shooting things appear and recently the descent too because after killing 2 of those red ships the 2 that appear at same time always kill me or the big ship after them because i cant be arsed to use bombs ever

I can fucking assure you it wasn't, everyone knows my steam however and would easily find anyone through it.

>Hang on. Have we been arguing about this passion shit now?
some of that was me aye, your argument was and is still nonsense but whatever. You on windjammers this evening?

Huh. Well that's a bit confusing, but it doesn't matter anyway!

As for my argument, the way I said it definitely didn't make much sense, but it's a bit hard to put into words. It's an extremely subjective thing.

I'm definitely not arrogant enough to say I'm a bigger fan of something than someone else just because I have a physical version of it. That's just a personal preference.
But if said person was just not willing to pay for it in any fashion at all, whether digital or physical, in spite of how much enjoyment they already got out of it (like if they played Ketsui for 300 hours on MAME and it was released on Steam), then yeah I would think of them as a bit of a cunt desu. Because rewarding good work is imo an important part of showing passion for a thing.

Also yes, I'll be on Windjammers!

Thank you for the advice, user. Looks like it is time to study up (I really want to get good at Type-II so the time investment will be worth it)

>whether digital or physical, in spite of how much enjoyment they already got out of it (like if they played Ketsui for 300 hours on MAME and it was released on Steam), then yeah I would think of them as a bit of a cunt desu. Because rewarding good work is imo an important part of showing passion for a thing.

>a pro footballer is only good if they bought the ball

Are you gonna tell pazzy that he's a cunt and has no passion because he put 2 years into ketsui on mame to get a 500mill 2-all? Passion is by definition time investment something you keep confusing with a personal moral view on how markets work and what you believe to be the obligation of consumers.

>paying 30 bucks for a shitty cave port of a decade old game
If Garegga would get a steam release, I certainly wouldn't buy it to support anyone. I don't buy games to support people. I buy them because I like the game.

The only reasons to buy games which already have been emulated are if they have leaderboards or if you dislike playing emulated games.

Not everyone has that much money to just throw 30 bucks out of the window.

what happen?

>Passion is by definition time investment
Bullshit. You can invest years into something and still have no passion for it. Look at all those people who hate their job, yet they still invest time into it. Doesn't mean they have passion for it.

Passion has nothing to do with time, dipshit. It has to do with emotion investment, not time investment.

It's obvious what he meant kraut, not everything needs to be an argument.

It's obviously bullshit what he said. Cee loves to argue. I just gave him what he wants.

Yeah

CCWI DOESN'T HAVE MICRODODGING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>enter double break right at the start of the hardest pattern
>wonder why you hit a wall
Has nothing to do with micrododging, asshole. Was just shitty routing.

best track i've heard in a while, is the game good?
youtube.com/watch?v=m4WVH4_MBLU&list=PLfCXYXqWjWirympmpEQXj0kycfCPwT4vQ&index=4

>is the game good?
Rayforce is not bad. Afterburner II is better though.

i've just learned that a guy from videogame music podcast who sucks ass at shmups(and games in general) has a speedrun WR in some gameboy shit.

But that's a bit of a false equivalence, isn't it?
A pro footballer plays football every day, as it is his profession, which he hopefully enjoys. (I don't imagine many people become pro footballers without loving the fuck out of that sport.)
Footballs are provided for pro footballers to perform. The football itself is not the singular object of a footballers passion, it's the sport as a whole.

For a shmup player, shmups are his hobby, he wouldn't put as many hours into it if he didn't love it. But he's not in any way obligated to play them as part of any profession.

A football is also not easily comparable to a product with lots of development time and money put into it like a videogame. Footballs can certainly be premium I bet, but it's not exactly the same. Also, to be able to play football oin their free time, any person will have to buy one.

I also don't agree that passion is at all defined by time investment. I agree more with Wikipedia's definition:

>Passion (from the Greek verb πασχω meaning to suffer) is a very strong feeling about a person or thing. Passion is an intense emotion, a compelling enthusiasm or desire for something.

Customers aren't obligated to do anything, it's the market's job to entice them to buy shit and if they don't, they've simply failed.
At the end of the day though if you get to enjoy something (a service, or a product like a videogame), they should get the money for providing it imo.

If the game is great, it would be worth it though, at least for me. Of course it's only natural to act in your own interest and wait for a sale or something if it's too expensive. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you buy it eventually. Every little bit counts.
I buy games because I like them and because I want to give back. It's a basic exchange, you're just buying a product, but in an industry where you have the choice to buy or not to buy, it gains a lot more meaning, I think.

Fuck off moralfag. You are just annoying with your constant preachments.

i hate perikles

Not really moralfagging or preaching, just putting into perspective why it makes sense and might be in your interest to buy the shit that you like unless you want to see your favourite things pathetically die off or barely cling to life like shmups.

But if you go through life only consuming and not thinking past your own ego then nothing can be done about it.

if you stay you wouldn't get hit by the purple bullets, but most people will move like that, scrubs mistake

>if you do not act like say, you are a cunt
>Not really moralfagging
You are a total moralfag and a hypocrite too.

>unless you want to see your favourite things pathetically die off
As if a single person could change this in any way. I could buy every single shmup on steam twice. Doesn't change that the genre is still dead.

You are just too dumb and naive.

playing ccwi on gamepad very uncomfortable, i better play on keyboard

your purchase will never, ever make a difference though. no matter what you do there is no way to save a dev if there is no interest for his game(which usually has nothing to do with piracy). i buy steam games just to track my time spend in game and for leaderboards, and to a lesser extent achievements.

it's easy and fun to spam lock on keyboard. my gamepad broke a couple of days ago and now i don't regret switching to keyboard, though moving with your right hand is retarded so i use wasd.

are you retarded? look at boss hp, is literally zero and boss did not died by full lock on shot

>As if a single person could change this in any way.
>nobody else buys it, so why should I? It's ded anyway. lol
It's not about whether a single person can change it or not, they never can. It's still not an argument against buying your shit, it's just an excuse to save money. Which is fair enough but at least be honest about it.

i actually buy shmups and the guy you are arguing with probably too. we are not looking for excuses, your preaching is just annoying. it's like saying that you HAVE to vote even though your vote won't change shit, i will never fucking vote becouse it's a waste of time, not becouse i look for excuses to stay home.

yeah you gotta micrododge here, it's the right strat

>i actually buy shmups and the guy you are arguing with probably too. we are not looking for excuses, your preaching is just annoying
I know that. Also it's not preaching, it's a discussion.

>it's like saying that you HAVE to vote even though your vote won't change shit, i will never fucking vote becouse it's a waste of time, not becouse i look for excuses to stay home.
You absolutely don't have to, but it makes sense to if you have any interest in politics. I don't vote either because I mostly don't care. When an issue comes up that I do care about though, then yes I will vote.
You can never expect any change in the direction you'd like though if you don't vote, that much is for certain.
Last year has taught that to a lot of people I imagine. lmao

Still doesn't have anything to do with microdging, asshole.
If you use Type III you just need very good time-killing skills, because the options have so little power.
If you can't handle them, then don't try to time kill.

>nobody else buys it, so why should I? It's ded anyway. lol
Putting words in my mouth huh? Oh we sure loving that!
I never said anything like that, asshole.

>it's just an excuse to save money. Which is fair enough but at least be honest about it.
Can you even read? Money was the exact reason I named in my first reply LOL

I do not have 30 bucks to throw out of the window.

>Putting words in my mouth huh? Oh we sure loving that!
Loving it as much as you were with my post, faggot.

>I do not have 30 bucks to throw out of the window.
Great! Wait for a sale then, as I said. It's all good, mate!

>You can never expect any change in the direction you'd like though if you don't vote, that much is for certain.
here you go again, you can never except any change regardless of what you are doing, that much is certain(as long as you are not celebrity). as if me going and voting for hillary would make hilldawgs go and vote and we'd dump drumpf, naive bullshit.

how can you be passionate about games you've never played? emulating them only counts as playing an emulation, not the actul game. LMAO

>hurr

>Loving it as much as you were with my post, faggot.
Point me out where I put words in your mouth, you fucking retard. I didn't do anything like this.

>Great! Wait for a sale then, as I said. It's all good, mate!
I don't have to do shit. Stop trying to tell me what I have to do. It's non of your fucking business. Retard.

ok then i should of specifically clarified, passion manifests itself in the result of time investment chosen by ones own volition where as a jobs time investment is one out of necessity.

>I just gave him what he wants.
moar dire kbr drawings plox

Anyways don't waste a saturday on pedantic arguments lads now is the time for play, just died in last stage of butt traverse with the 1up floating across the screen pretty gay.

>Not really moralfagging or preaching
christ no offence mate but what kind of cognitive dissonance do you suffer from to even dare to deny this accusation? how about the fact that my fav games have already been made and i intend to play them for years to come? the industry suffers in this circumstance to but thats neither my problem nor my obligation. Can i reccomend a semi related fantastic docu to watch? Adam curtis - century of the self.

>You can never expect any change in the direction you'd like though if you don't vote, that much is for certain.
absolute nonsense from someone who has no political knowledge, if no one votes the winner has no mandate and the country is plunged into constitutional crisis. If you walk into a shop and don't like what you see you buy nothing so why on election day would you vote for anyone when theres nothing you like on offer? Brexit btw had one of the biggest turnouts in our countries history, I hope to see the same in the G.E and labour sent to the grave.

>cee complains about cave all the time then starts playing meme traverse, another half assed wannabe cave game with its only sticking point being grafix
lmao, kraut junior

True, but you can contribute to the change that you'd like to see. Sure, in a really miniscule way, but you could.

>if you do not act like say, you are a cunt
I never outright said it like this either. There are plenty of "non-cunt" (if you will) reasons to not buy shit, I realise that. Budget is an obvious one.

Well... maybe I am moralfagging? I was under the impresion that I was just presenting my views and then defending them, not imposing them on anyone which is what I'd imagine a moralfag would do.

>how about the fact that my fav games have already been made and i intend to play them for years to come? the industry suffers in this circumstance to but thats neither my problem nor my obligation.

You're right, that's not a problem at all, because obviously nothing in the current industry is able to pique your interest. That is absolutely fair enough. Also, I will watch the documentary!

>If you walk into a shop and don't like what you see you buy nothing so why on election day would you vote for anyone when theres nothing you like on offer?
Well, I am assuming that there IS something on offer that you'd like, but of course you're right, when there's no one you'd vote for it only makes sense to stay home.

>I never outright said it like this either

>I would think of them as a bit of a cunt desu
Sure thing...

W-well I gave some reasoning for it! But I'll concede it's a stupid statement.
Everybody is of course free to do as they please within legal limits. Never wanted to argue that.

I think the principle behind it makes sense though and I'll continue to hold myself to that standard as well as reasonably possible!

Anyway, this discussion has gotten out of hand desu. Didn't mean to start one of these forsaken off-topic /shmupg/ arguments. lmao...

ccwi best stg ever

where does morality kun stand on 2nd hand market? if i buy only 2nd hand hand the dev gets nothing.

>morality kun
Kek. Don't make me into a meme!

But yeah, if you don't find value in getting stuff factory-new then that's an economically sound decision!

Anyone here play Hydorah?
Music won't load, and looking on the net there used to be a fix for that, but now it's unavaiable... Can anyone help me? I already downloaded the codecs mentioned in the readme