opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processing_(programming_language)
processing.org/
processing.org/tutorials/
processing.org/examples/
youtu.be/ilmS_CeKCuo
github.com/adonaac/blog/issues/11,
github.com/adonaac/blog/issues/12
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for giving up.

>not the superior Veeky Forums version

give idea for ludum plz.

Child trapped on the It's a Small World ride at Disneyland, make your escape.

You're a termite and you eat wooden furniture while dodging ever-encroaching poison.

You are an ant and must leave the most efficient pheromone trails to food for your colony.

Hobo on a god killing spree

You play as a giant girl and crush buildings and shit

Reminder to work on your programming languages.

Made some kinda cog/gear trap that moves a spike block up and down so the player moves through with timing.

TR1CK SHOT BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Reminder that no matter how well your game is programmed you wont's sell more than 10 copies unless it looks pretty.

Game looks neat, user. Keep up the good work.

What if your game is really pretty but programmed terribly?

>bokube
>pretty
?

Should make the sides of it less vision blocking so you don't have to turn the camera to be sure of where the spikeblock is

that's why Dwarf Fortress makes $3000-$5000 a month?

Downwell 2?
Upwell?

Ty!

Try Downwell [Spoiler] Multiplayer [/Spoiler]

FUCK

hey that's pretty gud

Hell yes, keep at it. Maybe reduce the aura size of the dudes by a little bit, the vertical stripes look a little odd when they stick out.

>first time coding an RPG menu

How can I make my game more pretty for you?

Got it boss! Thanks for the tip.

just a little bowling minigame

Since the game looks like its meant for all ages, maybe use the word "defeat" instead of kill?

more coherent palette

better textures (like the sides of those wooden cubes)

bg that isnt just blue grid

After coding my own UI I've developed a newfound appreciation for stuff like blender, unity and maya. In terms of the interface work, that is. Blows my mind to even consider how much work went into them.

Wait until you get to items and stats.

I'm retarded define coherent palette for a retard please.

Do you mean you like my wood textures or that the wood textures on those cubes need to be better?

the grid bg is just for the tutorials as each tutorial level is the same checker bg but different colored.

So I've messed around with Unity for quite some time now but most of the effort was wasted on software architecture shenanigans.

Entity Component Systems bullshit, creating "modular" systems, making the most generic code possible, design patterns... I've lost count of how many hours were spent agonizing over meaningless choices in games of such small scope.

In an effort to move away from this over-engineering I decided to give game maker studio 2 a try and I was pleasantly surprised with the ease of prototyping and iterating over ideas. The apparent dumbness of the GML language might be exactly what I need to leave my ivory towers and start working on actual game play.

One thing that irks me about GML is function definitions, having to create one file per function is a huge hassle and argument definition seems extremely primitive. (argument0, argument1, etc. seriously?)
Is there an actual way of defining functions that is more similar to standard programming languages?

Would you guys have any other suggestions or resources for CS-minded people using GameMaker?

post ld progress!
>tfw spent all day shitposting instead of devving

that's exactly what i'm on

Fuck, I just woke up and people are this far into LD?
Looks good user.
I'm still thinking up an idea.
Are you doing Compo or Jam?
Also, general question, do people who vote on Compo games generally have a hatred for platformers?

Doing the compo, been up since it started since I live in Aus and it started at lunch time here

As a CS-minded person (i.e: someone with a degree in Computer Science), my suggestion is to not use GameMaker. Why use something that is "similar to standard programming languages" when you can just use a tried and tested programming language.

Because my main objective is to optimize for speed of development.

Using Unity for developing 2D games in a single person team felt like an overkill.

I could use a more low-level framework but I fear I would spend more time reinventing the wheel than actually developing the game.

Building the tower of Babel while sheperding retarded builders who can barely talk with each other

Use LibGDX then.

what should go into "extra" menu?

One of the important things to keep in mind when starting these discussions about tools (be it engine or language choice) is that the "right" choice depends a lot on what you want to accomplish.

Has anyone ever looked into processing?

The language reminds me of 80s BASIC, unfortunately..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processing_(programming_language)
processing.org/
processing.org/tutorials/
processing.org/examples/

use pygame with python in that case
;)

Dev's phone number, be brave.

lewd pics

add an option to disable dithering :^)

I've used processing quite a bit. It gets horrible the larger the project gets but if you're making something really small or you're making visual processing apps it's not the worst.

I know Daniel Shiffman on Youtube shows a lot of examples and tutorials for Processing and they're really good but there are a lot of other much better frameworks out there.
However, it is good to watch these videos or practice stuff in Processing if you have an inclination towards it because your skills can be easily transferred over to any language once you have the core concepts down of whatever you're doing in Processing.

Also by visual processing I mean all those "creative coding" things people make out there.
Some are cute and look nice but most are pretty useless and can't be applied in almost any scenario. Or if they can, someone already has implemented them in a better way than some "creative coding" project.

just for you

credits
clear data if you want the player to be able

you gotta collect double jumps until you can jump high enough to leave the earth's gravitational field

Thanks

What can't be achieved in UE4 with just blueprints?

What are the cons of blueprints?

I know that they're slower than written C++, but most games are not really CPU-bound in terms of performance anyway.

Limited by your imagination. Memes aside, blueprints can get hard to manage because of literal spaghetti coding

Everything can be achieved with them - some things are just harder.

They are most suited for run-of-the-mill action games where you have a bunch of tangible/real objects interacting with each other. Doing abstract stuff in UE is difficult like wading upstream in a river but not impossible.

If you make a game where you have a character and a bunch of enemies and the character does simple interactions with those enemies(like combat animations) and a worldspace and shit then UE blueprints and UE in general are for you.

If you are making a strategy game where you are have to program lots of abstract stuff like inter-agent interaction and AI, underlying simulacra subsystems and procedurally generated world, blueprints are just gonna make your life harder.

-------------

"muh performance" is a moot point to begin with. If your shitty platformer is too demanding for a modern, dust-free, Intel Integrated HD laptop, then you are doing smth very wrong.

Interesting stuff.

I hear they're not as easy to maintain as code is, in terms of refactoring or understanding them.

I worked with blueprints for a total of 5 hours while i was trying out UE4 and they're pretty easy to understand, in my opinion. What i could never grasp was the multitude of various managers UE4 has.

Times I've been forced to use C++
>graphics menu (mainly key rebinding)
>mesh instancing along a curve had an extra option I needed
>checking if the game is running DX9 or DX10
>they let you make enums with functions specific to them, which is useful and I don't think BPs do
Basically you might not need anything more, but being able to do simple C++ when necessary might be useful,

>his game doesnt have a gangsta shooting mode
why even make a game in the first place?

reminds me of ratchet and clank

Are there any up-to-date tutorials on Ren'Py? The documentation on customizing the menus and GUI is a little lacking and all the tutorials seem out of date.

nice cell shading.

>tfw still no actual gameplay

Some enemies have limited sight. Sneak past them or murder them with a puzzle cube.

The scrolling is still a nice effect.

is the world cylindrical or something
it looks odd

Yeh its supposed to look like Animal Crossing

I like it

(different guy)

Ahhh Nuuuu!

I finally managed to convince grandpa to model for me. He didn't wanna take off his underwear tho.

Good morning /agdg/. I'm making a Ludum Dare.
Still don't know about gameplay, but I got the 3D pixelarty stuff to work.

Oh damn I was gonna do something like this.
But just use a shader to make it appear spherical.

>tfw wanna do LD but afraid I won't make it in time

What's so special about LD?

Ludum Dare idea: a game where you meet the same people all the time. When you meet them, you say "Hey, it's a small world!"

Don't worry user, I'm just starting now.

It's fun and lots of people participate and vote.

Very Yoshi's Island.

[[ Russian National Anthem Intensifies ]]

2slow

thats not cell shading

actual publicity potential

Damn

LD idea: Simple platformer where each level is a small world of its own and you must travel between them to get powerups and shit.

Metroid meets Cat Planet.

I'm trying to make a HUD in the form of a bar that goes along the bottom of the screen like some of the old DOS games.

The hud keeps moving to the right when I change resolutions though. Is that normal?

Can either improve the UI or do something for LD. It's been a while since I've done one, making it a bit more tempting.

I wouldn't say that they are any more difficult to maintain.

Its just that since those blueprints are so new and so narrowly used(only used for video games instead of being used for every possible thing one can put a program into), no advanced maintenance paradigms have had the time to arise.

Anyone, who is(or was) a newb at programming should know how hard it is to maintain a bunch of written commands without knowing any industry standard tips and tricks.

>youtu.be/ilmS_CeKCuo
>oh hey this looks cool!
>no link to the addon
>video is 8 months old
WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS

It doesn't sound normal

What is it?

mmo tycoon

its probably a result of something happening inside the low level graphics API

your best bet at fixing this is to reinitiate whatever handles your graphics output whenever a user changes the resolution. Reinitiate as in quitting or exiting from any and all of graphics API's and also from your own graphics manager you are using and then initiating your graphics manager along with the API's you are using with the new resolution selected to ensure that all variables inside your code and your API's code are exactly what you want them to be.

If this doesn't work, then the problem is somewhere else in your code - like an unrelated function modifying a variable it is not supposed to.

This all assumes that you are programming and not using Unity or UE or such. If you are using Unity or UE then I can't help you.

Why are you ripping off Downwell so much

You can do all those things without any problems not using the addon.

Prove it

Roller Coaster Tycoon MMO. Instead of NPCs walking around your park it will be real players in real time.

Players will have to enter the deeds of their home as collateral for park entry.

Unprecedented levels of emotional investment for each player as their real-world assets are put on the line!

I started a tutorial series on making a complete game using Lua and LÖVE. If anyone's interested the first two parts of it are here: github.com/adonaac/blog/issues/11, github.com/adonaac/blog/issues/12

I need to start writing dialogue.

What's a good minimalist text editor with spellcheck?

Hey guys, thinking of continuing a game I made for school half a year ago, I want to know whether my idea has any merit. Would you be interested in trying what I made and calling me shit?

It's about hacking into a computer system. It uses a terminal modeled after Unix.