/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Dead on Arrival Edition
A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live/Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc
Play Quakeworld for free: nquake.com/
Play Quake 2 for free: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Play Unreal Tournament 4 for free: epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

file-upload.net/download-12456222/slipgate.wav.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i always forget the name of that game
anyone played it? is it good?

>watch trailer
>that announcer
holy shit no

gee i dunno what could it be called???

I assume snorlags "bunnyhop" means just repeately jumping, which is kinda redundant.
It was mentioned that visor's bhop speed isn't capped, but I don't remember hitting a noticeable speed cap as ranger. Is there any way to test it in a private lobby?

For those of you who don't have a beta key and want to know what the game is like:

Sorlag, Clutch, and Scalebearer are just there to get killed/be that annoying faggot who kills you outta nowhere.

Ranger and Visor actually take skillz to win

Nyx, Slash, Anarki, and Galeena are what I'd like to call insta-winners as in if you see 3 of these characters in your lobby, they will be in the top 3

Nyx is the least cancerous of the 4, though her invisibility can get the slip on you. Visor can easily counter this shit.

Anarki's health regen is annoying as shit and should be lowered or non existent

Slash's red queefs of death are a get out of "jail free" card in any close range situation. Not to mention her crouch slide makes her fucking impossible to hit at times

Galeena has absolute dogshit hitreg and can heal.

Either id gets its head out of its ass and fixes this shit ASAP, or the only reason people will play this is for classic mode

slash is balanced

from previous thread

God tier
>Visor
>Galena
>Anarki
Good tier
>Nyx
>Ranger
>Slash
Get fucked by shitty netcode tier
>Sorlag
>Scalebearer
Shit tier
>Clutch

galena is my waifu

>you look tasty~

what makes galena god-tier? you're making feel like a tryhard for liking her

game is perfect the way it is now.
If you want class balance you need to git gud, ive seen people dominate with every characters
The only thing I would love to see implemented is a Play of the Game feature. That would be neat

She's not they fixed her hitboxes.

fucked up hitbox + heal/damage skill that you can stack

that would be silly
would just give people more reason to compare 2 completely different games

>Play of the Game

yes, actually. yes. Nobody has to stay for it, but put it in. It's a great thing

I want to throw myself down that lurid, gaping maw.

it would be just sorlag spamming a choke/quad with rockets and spit and getting 4 kills every game

Ranger > Visor because

1. Instant speed > speed after 3 jumps

2. Teleport > Wallhack

>game is perfect the way it is now.
bait?

visor is faster if you know what you are doing and wallhack is beyond strong.
there is no place in the game that you cant reach with regular strafe/circle/rocketjump/nailclimb.

they didn't

preferences.
the tier list is just a general opinion

Ranger appeals to people that arent that familiar with strafe jumping/circle jumping and has good mobility.
Visor appeals to the VQ3 vets who can get insane stuff done with only strafing, Anarki is the CPM champ, Nyx is Warsow, Slash is Q4.

streaks of high accuracy, medal explosions, multi-kills, can all be factors.

Games like this aren't just about winning, it's about looking cool while you win. Play of the Game feature does just that. That's why it would be such a good thing.

Ranger is going to be the TF2/Tribes Soldier of QC
Versatile starter class easy to pick up and play with incredible mobility and great fragging potential in the hands of a skilled player
People will bitch about him being OP and having no counters
Just wait

>Nyx is Warsow,
but can you really do a 180 turn off a wall? It was kinda obnoxious in warsow that players could never stop, even at dead ends.

Clutch's ability is only good if you have SSG/Rocket/Rail. His damage reduction passive is a trap.
Big characters are just not that good because along with having bigger hitboxes they're generally slower.

not gonna lie I wish they would use base nyx movement for every character.

I tried nyx for several hours but she just cant compete against something like visor.
she has like 75/25, visor has 125/25.

how the fuck are you supposed to outaim 50hp difference.
nyx/anarki also get 1shotted by rails/rocketrs.

I also fear we wont get forceplayermodel 1, there would be ne reason to implement something like that into the game now that we have character mtx/colors and stuff. its really difficult to see certain colors/champions against certain backgrounds.

>Tribes Soldier
What? Is that some Tribes Ascend bullshit cause T1 and T2 had freeform classes.

>visor is faster if you know what you are doing

Only if we were talking about CTF or defrag. In the situations where it matters most, combat, Ranger is faster than Visor and therefore you are more likely to shake your opponent's crosshair or projectile predictions. Visor is only fast inbetween fights, Ranger is fast during fights.

>rocketjump/nailclimb

Barely a thing with the current netcode. Ranger's orb teleportation has a 100% success rate as long as you teleport before the thing hits a wall. Rocket jumping is already kinda worthless in most modes in QL (except CA). It only really pays off if you're in control in a duel. The server side fuckery in QC makes it unusable imo. I might change my opinion once I play more, I've only played a couple hours yesterday.

There won't be forcemodel but I guarantee you there will be a highlighting post process like Overwatch has (or like you get as Visor during wallhack).

checked
agreed, movement is a defensive and offensive stat. having good movement is key in quake. that being said, I do like how they make everyone feel different in those terms on how to play and how to move. heavies need some balancing.

Agreed. People seriously overestimate the lighter champs because netcode is still shit making them harder to hit than they should be, and veterans tend to want to go fast so there is a sort of "skill bias" towards lighter champions. Ranger will pass the test of time.

the shit visor has during his wallhack is actually quite annoying, I find it very difficult to differentiate between walls you can walk through and walls you cant because everything gets that retarded blue filter once his wallhack activates.

>walls you can walk through

?

I agree that the filter is irritating but it irritates me more during combat. With no color information left I've got only the stupid triangle to tell me who's an enemy.

Why is there still no lewd Sorlag art? What the fuck are those degenerates over at /trash/ even doing?

It's freeform in TA now too. Before that soldier wasn't too much of use besides tryhard ar/hitscan pistol or lmao2spinfusors.

I stopped playing TA before that since they neutered the base mechanics compared to T2 and it was still active at the time with tons of maps and mods.

the one thing they BETTER not mess up with hunter is her VA
im gonna be pissed if they do

soldier was the king of dm and could fit any role with 1400 hp and 4 nades

Oh yheah, proxies! It makes it even worse tryhard class.

>implying they'll even add such a problematic character
what do you want her to sound like, though

Doesn't this also apply to TF2 Scout?
I think it will be Ranger + Nyx

>tryhard - anyone who can put the 'jack of all trades' to good use

I bet you call tf2 soldier mains tryhards as well

>lmao2spinfusors.
>tfw never again having the joy of playing fatty for spinfusor, twinfusor, and throwing discs
I AM BECOME FRISBEE
DESTROYER OF PTHS

Scout is far from easy to pick up due to how fragile he is. You have to get in close for the Scattergun to do real damage (otherwise it's just a shittier Shotgun) but that's also the range where most classes will shred your 125hp health pool with a sneeze. Newbs also have trouble aiming while moving, relying on strafing to line up their crosshairs instead of twitch-aiming while moving in other directions.

i bet you played lmg/disc jugg as well you cancerous fag

LMGs are for fags
nothing got my dick harder than a long-range direct mortar

>TDM
>someone is 0/10
every fucking time

>mfw strafjumping so fast I hit my own rockets

>when light chars think they're invincible as long as they go really fast
>to get and stay that fast they move in a predictable path

DIAMONDS

>laggy as fuck game
>can count the seconds per frame rather than frames per second
>this happens

why are people so awful

did the overbabies think they were gonna come here and become "hardcore" because they play THE quake

> tf2 soldier mains
Not really. I've mostly played roam in sixes. Tryhard would be something like dh solly on hightower.

Stop bragging on an anonymous image board, it only makes you look pathetic.

Hear me out, VEGA says all of Doomguy's lines and taunts for him.
Or functions as a commentator, congratulating you for a good kill, or giving you "advice" when you respawn.

had a laggy dude on one of my games, only reason he had high kdr was because he was lagging so much you couldn't aim at him properly

Lag goes both ways. Everyone was lagging around for him too. Low latency isn't some kind of hack.

Has anyone ripped "I know a good slipgate to shove you in!" anywhere? This is real important.

>no counters

What the fuck are you talking about? This isn't overwatch. This isn't a rock/paper/scissor system.

Are some of the maps intended for less players?

I swear to christ I was just instantly spawnkilled about 10 times in a row after joining a game in progress.

I've seen this, this is real. Did it twice.
Guy still went 50 and 8 anyway.

Experiment more with rocket jumping. I get stable connection every game, and I don't see any server-side fuckery. People aren't, eh, looking up and don't expect sudden rockets from above.

Slipgate is amazing though. Stopwatch the Quad with a prepared slipgate escape.

Also I thought people were bitching about no rocket smoke trails. There are totally rocket smoke trails. Was it added recently?

Play TDM and get gud

This was exactly why I didnt donate to the kickstarter.

I was also very disappointed because I heard an interview with 2GD saying that it would have a unique movement system that would persist into combat and the the gameplay comes and its essentially just quake but a little different

but most of all I hope the game voice overs arent like the trailer

Any one ever play pic related? probably not but i did. to go fast you chained wall jumps and switching weapons would turn you into different monsters, like the shotgun ape.

oh yea and its gimmick was that only 1 of each weapon could be in play between both characters and each weapon had a health bar. so the goal was to kill all your opponents weapons and then that lets you take it and gain that weapon and health bar for yourself. It was pretty cool for the 5 games i managed to play in it

RIP user there goes your beta access

file-upload.net/download-12456222/slipgate.wav.html

hope it helps

"gg" when winning
shitter

how to rip files from the .pak archives?

>4 level 15+ players
>everyone is camping the mega and large armors
>giving everything it takes just to stay in the middle of the board
>game ends
>everyone's best gun was lg
>except for some poor loser who use the mg the whole game and got one frag
>it was on me

>Lag goes both ways
not necessarily, you can have great inbound traffic but also have outbound throttled to shit

>Anarki that charges me with starting MG in a straight line while I LG over and over

like woah

>not always posting gg no matter what
nobody likes you whiny faggots

I made a video, turned off music/special effects and removed the video part so its audio only.

kinda ghetto but I for now it works.

i played it but it died so quickly
even on release it only had like 3 servers
also didnt like the dev drama that encompassed it
visuals were neat

>Experiment more with rocket jumping. I get stable connection every game, and I don't see any server-side fuckery.

Every match I've played all players have had pings under 50 according to the scoreboard, yet everyone was lagging around like crazy. When people went up jumppads you could see them teleport into the air in front of you, one frame there would be nothing, the next the player would be up in the air in front of you. That's what I mean when I refer to netcode being terrible.

And rockets are delayed. Put 1 and 1 together, I assume rockets are server side, hence the delay. The ingame pings clearly mean nothing. Not with the current netcode any way.

If it's always said it means nothing.

this.

I had ping 15-20 most of the time and rocket jumps were next to impossible.
Played defrag for 4years so Iam not new to rocketjumps and they DONT work properly atm.

this is stupid. if youre always going to say it then just save everyones time and say nothing. its fucking retarded that people even get mad at me for not saying gg after each round like fuck off dude its literally meaningless

what the fuck does visor say when you select him
'sneak into my sense'?

he says "bazinga"

leap into my ass

laughed

Yeah and my experience is very different, I see the same pings, and I get great performance except for the odd Anarki that teleports around. ie. no rocket delay, smooth motions.

There's clearly a netcode issue that's not uniform. They gotta fix.

how about you suck my cock kiddo

>kiddo
i thought you weren't allowed to post here if you were under the age of 18

21 years

JUST GIVE IT TO ME FOR FREE GOD DAMNIT

I know right
I thought it was gonna be ranger exclusive unlocked by default
I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE
AND I KNOW I WOULDN'T USE IT BECAUSE ROCKETS IN THIS GAME ARE ABSOLUTE FUCKING AAASSSSS

So do the devs plan on actually listening to the community or what? So far literally nothing has been fixed.

ironic considering the 30-40 year olds that still play quakr and quake 2 almost always say gg

Could anyone please help me with a spare key? We could even play together.

[email protected]

>tfw never use the chat for anything because it's too distracting and pointless and I could just be killing people or already searching for another match

sent ;)

My Anarki impression, !warning! it's accurate:

HEY you mother f-FUCKERS this is ANARKI, the KOOKIEST-CRAZIEST PUNK IN THE QUAKE tm ARENA! if u think sorlags LIZARDPUSSY is nasty then you aint seen ME BRO. im GNARLIER than like the GNARLIEST WAVE YOUVE EVER SEEN BRAH. THATS right im one bad dude coming to BLAST YOU TO BAZINGA BITS. IT WILL BE FR*CKING EPIC WHEN I HAS THAT CHEESEBURGER BRO. UR GONNA BE CRYIN FOR A ZERG NERF WHILE I STREAM U GETTING REKT LIVE ON TWITCH TV kappa. PEACE AND LOVE AND DMT man, ANARKI OUT. by the way my character has relations with slash *rebecca black friday starts playing*

xd

It fits his characters and embodies that early 2000s style.

Dude, you can literally buy a key for less than 1 dollar online.

everyone kept saying for years that arena shooters are the most hardcore thing ever.

i'm a complete noob and i won 4 FFAs in a row. this shit is fucking easy. i had a harder time playing fucking overwatch.