/rlg/ - Roguelike General

>Competition
Comp #204 is a leprechaun monster in PosChengBand. Your power scales with the size of your wallet, so set off on a quest to pilfer 10 million gold! (and also kill a serpent or something i guess)
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Infra Arcana on Windows:
pastebin.com/S761eT4B

Previous thread

>

how do you pronounce "MuMo"?

moo-moh?
muh-moh?
mummy monk?

moo moe

Momia Monje

1. Lack of ID minigame

2. Ease of escape from every encounter
2b. No forced high risk encounters
--- You can literally just walk away from literally every literal summoner or hero or OoD monster/group with no penalty. The only exception is getting ambushed around a corner and killed from focus fire in a single turn.

3. Low headroom consumable-only inventory and six inventory slots for non-consumables i.e. demons;
--- The consumables for the most part are boring and uninteresting (heal/attack, buff/debuff), and the ones that are interesting are OP or rare as fuck (the card consumables, mapping).

4. Lack of a sense of progression beyond ability gain;
--- You can beat the game without recruiting higher tier demons and don't really suffer that much for it, so no sense of progression in terms of swapping out new "equipment". And sure, your improved party stats as you guys level up will help you kill lower level shit more easily but you hardly notice it because after a certain point you don't encounter raichos or whatever the fuck anymore.
--- Actually now that I mention it, larger mobs of lower level demons later in the tower could spice things up a bit, and give a bit of a refresher from the standard 4v4 encounters 100% of the time. Multi-encounters used to capture this a bit, although you're generally the same level as the multi-group

I missed the new thread, also
>tonberry OP
fucking rad I love these adorable lizards

>
this is how the phehreh used to say it and thus the truth

5. Boring as FUCK level generation
--- There's no interesting structures (static vaults nor procedurally generated patterns or layouts), all terrain is the same (no water, chasm, door, plant, etc.), no traps (controversial), no way to modify or interact with the environment, and of course, the graphics are bland as shit too, and graphics are important in a tiles-only game. The most tactical use of terrain you'll experience in Demon is moving to a two tile wide corridor for the Actaeon link. I shit you not. There's a few very rare edge cases where you get a small pillar generated with which you can abuse enemy AI or play around with LoS, but that's it. The terrain in the glitch sanctum captures a bit of this, but the glitch demons themselves are annoying and tedious as all shit so I don't even bother.

6. "Rewards" from taking on a risky encounter don't elicit much excitement
--- Demon drops from killing a summoner just don't turn me on, because generally if I killed the summoner, I don't need to modify my party by taking on his (weaker) demons, so I end up just killing them off in the end. Experience and leveling up doesn't turn me on much either. Oh boy 5 stats and a couple hit points. Wow. That really changed how I'm playing the game.
--- Currency rewards from any source are p. boring too. Wow the number on my HUD went up. Cool. It doesn't really do much after you've already established your party, except maybe saving you from a death spiral if you lost a couple dudes late in the tower.
--- Corpse rewards are yawn. C number on the HUD goes up. Get your 21st unused heal stone. Yay. It would be better if consumables weren't the low headroom dogshit they are now. Maybe make the corpse encounter itself much much more likely instead of the no-risk/free skimming you get from most corpses. But again, if you do that, you'd have to not make the loot so boring.

/mu/ /m/o/

So an Autobot with a bitchin' sound system?

So basically you want weird consumables that you have to ID, 'beefiness checks' like spawning in a level that's a deadend with no exit and is occupied by super tough monsters, more types of enemy encounters besides the balanced 5v4, and better risk-reward things

I don't think any of your ideas are bad(except the ID game, I'm over that), but I do think you gotta realize that a lot of your ideas actually are already on the distant future to-do list

I didn't play Demon, but in every roguelike I played ID minigame is always exciting only for beginners and a chore or a non-issue for experienced players. If you manage to make it interesting, go ahead, but all the examples I've seen so far were "use one unit of a resource or roll a dice", which are sometimes circumvented by game knowledge (e.g. watery potions are potions of water in ADOM) - see "non-issue for experienced players" - so I don't trust any developers to make an interesting ID minigame anymore.

What will be the next thing to get cut from DCSS? My bet: controlled blinking.

neat

S H A D Y
T
O
R
E
S

Hey, anything to get back to town, right?

Smells like PDSM.

Ganbatte, you bitch ass niggas.

afc ring #2
thanks Nar

>random tele in PCB
NOPE

>shiren and chocobo's dungeon 2
>no torneko
>no azure dreams
shit taste desu

you might as well add pokemon mystery dungeon ffs

>10 runes
>pan done
>abyss done
>still no Tornado
>still no Necronomicon
Literally sleep inducing, I want my bloat

You can cancel random teleports if the item's not cursed, and randtele lets you follow monster teleports.

>leprechauns can use manabrand
>they pay $$$ for each blow instead of mana

what

it's...beautiful

In cata, how do I install funnels onto a vehicle to collect rain water? A firetruck to be specific, made my base near one and its almost out of water
Also is rain water considered 'dirty'?

RandomTele is a good item property in PCB.

How much does hitting a dude cost?

is there a way I can raise the Ninja weight limit or calculate it? is it just flat?

if you are wearing a randtele item you will occasionally get prompts with "teleport? (y/n)"
it only FORCES you to teleport if the item that gives randtele is cursed
you can inscribe a noncursed randtele item with {.} to get rid of the prompts entirely, effectively automatically answering 'n' to all of them
furthermore, if you have randtele and a monster teleports away from you (e.g. a unique running away at low health), you are given the option to "Follow its teleport? (y/n)"

Install it on the same tile as a tank. You probably need a screwdriver or something, too.

>Also is rain water considered 'dirty'?
Sort of. It's handled poorly, so (for non-vehicle funnels, at least, vehicle mounted might be different), the first time rain is added it rolls to be dirty. If it is, it will always make you sick until you empty the container. If it isn't, it never will, assuming you never drink the last charge of water.

the limit on equipment weight? that increases with level

Mu Mo B There -- up and over!

it costs 10 gold for every point of sp it would normally cost

so 10 * (1 + dd*ds/7) where dd and ds are the weapon's damage dice/sides

It's in xtra1. Comes out to 10 lbs + 0.4 per level.

It's solely a function of your experience level. 100 + level * 4 tenth-pounds maximum.

so it's basically a mystery

that's nice

oh ok so it's 30 max

that's ok

ninja have class restricted weapon types when dual wielding right? it's not just a function of skill? I seem to remember that from my old android ninja

You have restricted weapons in general, ninjas end up dual wielding because they can't do anything else with the second hand and have good skill in it.

wait what

Ah that's right

they can't really use anything bigger than a sickle or tanto

still, once you get used to the game they're a really powerful class, it seems almost unfair

that guy was added by the japansese maintainers of zangband/hengband i think
the first two dudes in the telmora arena are also references to japanese politicians from the 90s i think

Listen up, you loose slut, we only had 90 slots, and executive decisions had to be made.

it was a bad decision

>15 runes
Too bad it was literally the most boring extended possible. No Tornado and Necromutation, no wand of healing, mutated to extreme with heavy berserktitis and less than human HP through all of hell & pan, 2 pips of MR, 1 pip of rF, couldn't even zigg scum
Still literally tab tier thanks to Mak and naga
Nagas are OP

remove divine healing

But then I would actually have to... THINK!
Don't worry user, the way things are going I'm sure we'll all live to see the game reduced to literally MuMo

Serpent v. doppelganger imitator tomorrow, fellas. And no screw-ups this time!

How did you get that broadaxe? Did you worship TSO at some point?

?? holy wrath is just a brand you can find man

fucking orc priests will spawn with falchions of holy wrath on D:3

No. I always go Gozag > Mak
The axe was just random
I also always use axes unless Octopode/Troll/Felid
and it's always easy and fast as fuck despite people moaning about muh riposte muh positioning

I think his point was that a broad axe of holy wrath is pretty rare to find, since broad axes in general are not a common item.

This. For some reason i always come across many M&F of holy wrath, but rarely other kind of weapons. Great maces in particular come to mind.

Do you simultaneously skill shields and axe since the beginning, or take off the shield while till you hit mindelay?

I always use medium shields from the beginning(usually start as figher if melee) and I sincerely feel it helps a lot unlike others that say it's best to use a buckler or even not use shields at all in the beginning of the game.
Not having at least medium shield on naga is a fucking crime since they have a shield boosts
I usually train my weapon skill to about 10, then Fighting to something like ~8, armor, dodging and shield to ~6-8, resume weapon to mindelay, kinda depends on the race proficiencies
And as I love axes I can say even your starter war axe can easily carry you through 3 runes provided you dump enchant weapon and brand weapon scroll on it
Later I trade for a broad axe but keep the shield, not a fan of losing the shield as I enjoy getting surrounded and tabbing for faster play

The kinds of combos that would realistically use a shield are strong enough you shouldn't have any trouble getting to lair either way.

I almost never die before lair with a Mi* and shields just end up a waste of points cause I'm gonna switch to an exec anyway.

Is there any guarantee to find a exec? The times i do find myself finding a exec, a nice bardiche or triple sword i spend way too much exp on it and have crappy defenses for most of the early and mid game. I'd rather have a fast one handed weapon that required a fraction of the experience.

Im gonna follow COBRA's example and run an axe wielding-shield using naga. Oh boy.

It's less "bardiche vs dtrident" and exec axe vs broad, and more glaive vs trident and great sword versus scimitar.

I keep saying it's very easy if you go Gozag>Mak
despite D:3>5 rng fuckery that's the bane of most characters anyways like multiple orc priests/polearm gnoll packs/ogres, but you do have +20% HP and frankly starting from D7~ or so it's pretty tab tier
Also nagas need only 9 shields for medium and 15 for large

When do you switch to Mak?

Extended.

Usually after the shops start costing ~2200+ gold as it takes fucking forever to get enough gold at that point, even doing Depths and Vaults doesn't seem to increase the gold per enemy at all
Save Crypt and Elf (Besides V:5 and the E:3 chamber) while under Gozag's wrath because he will berserk and haste enemies on sight, and berserked enemies are dangerous as fuck, thankfully nothing in those two branches besides Elf Blademasters that only appear sometimes at the Weapon Hall, and even then it's only one that can't Sinvis, or the boss room, is actually dangerous. Well, just be wary of hasted Cursed Skulls on Crypt but they die pretty fast

Ash is a million times better than every other god all the way until you hit extended

Gozag can suck a dick

>the boss room
you mean the one that's completely trivialized by mephitic cloud

fuck Ash
Gozag will often drown you in op as fuck gear, early too, sometimes gear that complete trivializes a 3 rune and even extended before fucking D10
And the jew daze passive is also powerful as fuck, plus the first and free pot petition is a nice panic button early game

Eh I just don't usually bother with spellcasting besides buffs and Tornado
Immolation also trivializes it but I'd rather not have a million hasted elves that soon, considering I often do Elf1-3 besides the chamber right after switching to Mak when the piety is low and hp on kills isn't that great still
Usually takes me to ***
Also don't even fucking try to do Desolation of Salt that sometimes spawn in Elf/Vaults under Gozag's wrath unless you are sure of your character and know what to do

>tfw bullies come looking for you but you stay hidden cause you're a ninja

This is poschangband right?

holy shit I don't usually say this but what a double plus badplayer

jesus even garg autist was better than you, he didn't just reuse the same cherry picked screenshots over and over in every thread

it's also totally obvious that you play the game like a slot machine, maybe brogue would be closer to your needs

jesus that font is ugly
change it to something else for the sake of arelgee's eyes
like dejavu mono or consolas or something

yeah, that band of orcs actually isn't too bad, but my gear is pretty sad and one of my weapons is unskilled (small sword, training for sting later on)

is there any guarantee to find tornado or necromut you fucking COBRA

sorry user is this better

Isn't that the outpost? Why did a gang of orcs come into it, to track you down? Never played this before but it looks more fun than DCSS desu.

Jesus Christ man who even made this font?

Monsters can spawn anywhere on the surface really.

The area around the outpost is pretty low-level so normally the worst you see is a lone novice mage or something, but orcs always appear in packs.
Oh yeah and if the rng really really hates you you'll get eaten by a +10 speed tiger before you can enter the first dungeon. But that almost never happens.

user, it's not my fault the game is easy as fuck with axes and cleave
And Gozag
And Mak
And TSO
And Trog
to name a few
I just prefer Gozag and Mak
I've pretty much made sucessful axe fighters of HO, Mi, Mf, Op, Ds, Gargs, centaurs, formicids. Troll was unarmed though, same, and 2 'podes had short blades instead of axes.
>holy shit I don't usually say this but what a double plus badplayer
What exactly is bad about winning?
It's like you are one of those guys that complains about too much tabbing and axes

No, which is why I had to win without them and it was pretty boring.
However, finding at least Tornado is often pretty easy considering it's in 2 non randart books, and Book of the Sky isnt that rare
Ziggs often guarantee you'll find Necromutation though, and Tornado + Mak is enough to clear them with absolute ease

>jesus even garg autist was better than you, he didn't just reuse the same cherry picked screenshots over and over in every thread
Sheesh user, do you want me to keep posting new pictures every single thread incarnation

Thats something you would see on extended possibly. Meanwhile you CAN'T go forward unless you have a reasonably good weapon, its essential.

err to clarify: monsters don't spawn IN the town
but they can spawn in the area just outside of town and chase you into it

Every character has that weapon. It's usually called Fist.

How long until the Crawl main game becomes HuFi linesprint

six months ago

I feel like wilderness spawns got cranked up a lot a while back.

do comic sans
even better, do cc wild words

>you will never play /mu/m/o/ again
feels really bad, man

>he thinks i'm the same person calling him a badplayer
COBRA pls
you have more friends than you know

But why is winning bad, user
The game is well known to to be simple enough that tabbing is what you spend most time doing

>winning
post webtiles wins

I don't get it, user.
Why is webtiles so important?
I mean, why wouldn't you be able to control yourself in a single player game?]
It feels like it's mostly a e-penis kind of thing
I also still don't get why Gozag is supposed to be "bad" at tall.
As for axes I honestly don't thik they are superior to other weapons, however they allow for way faster gameplay/runs since it's literally tab and that's it. Not to mention the synergy with Mak.
And it's the same for Gozag and Mak, I don't believe they are superior to everything else welll Mak fucking is[/spoiler/] but I find the gear gains from Gozag to be often outstanding, especially when floorgod is usually a harsh mistress

play webtiles so we can judge your statistics objectively and also so you can't savescum constantly

>I mean, why wouldn't you be able to control yourself in a single player game?]
i don't know, why wouldn't you? ;^)

gozag is good and so are axes to an extent. originally i was just shitposting at you because you had this mental fixation on starting as a fighter for the shield no matter what which is retarded, but then i discovered you play with the mouse and offline at that. at that moment i swore i will never let go until you change your erring ways

im 90% sure that the "all offline wins are savescummed" thing started off as a dumb meme
but of course autists take everything literally, and as expected rlg has no shortage of autists

to be fair I only called him a badplayer because it really looked like his playstyle was scummy and because gozag is legitimately kind of bad otherwise, compared to say, Ash, Vehu, Trog, Mahk, Oka, Dith, or Zin.

If he was a Chei player I would at least respect his ideals.

Sort of silly to do this online elitism objectivity thingeroo, but suggest webtiles instead of terminal ssh. I'm fine with online and off, tiles and ASCII, but online webtiles is of a lower "nerd faggot rank" than online terminal.

if offline players talk about having fun then I don't bother them nor does it bother me, but if an offline player starts talking about wins or viability or their optimal strategies, I immediately respond with the webtiles rhetoric, because really that ends the argument immediately. if they refuse to prove themselves then I refuse to take them seriously.

your subjectivity really has no value to anyone

you'll be surprised with how easily people rationalize savescumming

but muh kierkegaard

What subjectivity? Merely talking about posers. If you did want to try for objectivity, you'd ask for statistics instead of a webtiles session to criticize—and ideally, you'd be well-aware of the difficulties involved in deriving useful information from bidgeam stats.