/ss13g/ - spessmen on a spess station

Last Thread: Last time on /ss13g/ - spessmen on a spess station:
>Shitters gonna shit
>Veeky Forums refugee deluge
>some madman with too much free time and ambition making spess station in Source
>debates on the validity lol so randumb named crewmembers
>someone mentioned Stationeers again

>What is Space Station 13?
youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA
pastebin.com/VNcX2Quc

>New player guide
ss13.moe/wiki/index.php/The_Basics
ss13.moe/wiki/index.php/General_Help

>BYOND client
byond.com/download/build/LATEST/

>Pomf Serbian, main Veeky Forumsstation server
byond://game.ss13.moe:7777

>Test server
byond://ss13.moe:1337

>Public server list
byond.com/games/exadv1/spacestation13

>How do I connect to the servers?
Hit the cogwheel in the upper right corner of the BYOND hub and pick "Open Location"

>Veeky Forumsstation forum and logs
ss13.moe/forum/
game.ss13.moe/logs

>Map renders collection: updated sometimes
game.ss13.moe/minimaps/images/maps/

>Coderbus, here!
github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13
@rizon #coderbus @rizon #vgstation
discord.gg/fE3Ts8A

>Cryo Autism
pastebin.com/raw/YmAyagUa

>Round Stats
stats.ss13.moe/

>SS13 booru for all your SS13 images!
ss13.booru.org/

>How To Install BYOND: The Video Tutorial: The Movie
youtube.com/watch?v=-iWiZwv9f1o

>Nostalgia
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/text/ss13g/
ss13.moe/index.php/bans

>OP Pastebin
pastebin.com/raw/z7czw5WQ

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/vgstation-coders/vgstation13/pull/14722
youtube.com/watch?v=Y6eR7WkZPMc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for vomit in the cryo

Yesterday I found out you can theoretically farm paraetemol by hugging it up to a high concentration and vomiting it out, you can't get it any other way

Vox clowns are the best clowns

Roundstart hugborgs when?

my guide to ss13 servers
-LOW ROLEPLAY SERVERS-
>goonstation
a closed-source, high quality, low-fat codebase with a touch too much coriander and two scoops too many aging yuppie administrators who get off on asserting their retarded liberal wills over tweens and young teens
>tgstation
an ultra-dense neutron star of compacted human feces. the codebase is a horrible mess where old important systems and interactions are neglected in favor of flashy new bullshit that completely breaks the game's tone, like 'devil mode' and 'magical monster hunter mining'. a convincing argument for why coders should be given zero power and should be 100% beholden to the users' desires. they have literally tried to add auto-aim to the game after a coder died on his traitor round due to missing a lot
the atmosphere is almost as suffocatingly political as goonstation - despite claiming to be a Veeky Forums server, 99% of the current userbase is from tumblr or reddit and saying 'nigger' or 'tranny' is bannable. this server is basically rome in its latest days, except you can't fuck little boys there (sadly)
>vgstation
a codebase with some cool features which don't excuse the fact that it's a literal dinosaur - years behind every other codebase and not getting any better.
this too is not your average Veeky Forums server, i would say the primary distinction about the userbase of vgstation is that it's extremely 'namefag-centric'. there are a lot of persistent personalities on vgstation who love to kick up retarded drama and try to get each other banned whenever they feel their peers are soaking up too much of their attention.
>hippie
supposed to be the 'lax rules low-rp robustness' server now that nox is dead, yet it has a glacially slow movespeed like it's baystation. i have no idea why people play here

my guide to ss13 servers part 2
>colonial marines
aliens vs humans deathmatch with 200ms+ of lag, the worst possible codebase for deathmatch gameplay (baycode), and, by a landslide, the worst staff of any space station 13 server.
it is headed by a brain damaged military veteran who doles out permabans for any criticism of the server, which is staffed by moderators who range between 14 and 18 years old and constantly spawn themselves in as a godmode class and kill dozens of humans and aliens whenever they're feeling bored. avoid at all costsexperience
-HIGH ROLEPLAY SERVERS-
>baystation, polaris, aurora
these are all exactly the same thing. the only reason they are even split up is because the primary recreational activity on high ``roleplay'' servers, drama, often leads to community schisms.
the codebases are ultra-casualized, if that word can apply here. the move speeds are lowered to levels that disallow intelligent dodging, the stamina and armor systems are adjusted toward statistical attrition so that the more heavily geared party wins 99% of the time, and in that other 1% where something narratively interesting happens, the losing party will batphone their administrator friend whom they are erotic roleplaying with in a Discord channel, at which point said administrator will inform you that it is illegal to harm furries on this server and you are no longer welcome here
some say that good roleplay is like a collaborative writing experience, like dozens of skilled authors all working on one great book. if you like books where there are 100+ flawless furry ego insertions all trying to be the main character, where there is no antagonist or villain plot because having bad things happen to the characters hurts their writers' feelings, and where reality is generally suspended in favor of constructing the ultimate velvety-gloved comforting social chat environment, you're in luck. these servers are for you

tl;dr, it's all shit

what a sad fate has befallen spessmen

I don't know why everyone shits themselves over Goon. Besides their cool computer OS I don't get the appeal.

I suspect the main reason people like it is that being closed source gives it a sense of mystery, and there's a lot of places to fuck off to.

If I thought Gooncode was more fun I would go there in a heartbeat, I'm definitely not hanging around out of love for this """community"""

>34 people online right now

Veeky Forums has been over run by refugees

>attack animations are staying in the game because of THREE VOTES

were it not for the Veeky Forums refugees when their server went down, we would've removed them

Thought for sure the bunker would have been engaged already

Regular admins can turn it on for a round, not keep it on forever.

In the past two days the bunker has been turned on for three rounds. Also anyone that wants to play on Veeky Forums probably has already so they can get past the bunker

The only way to be sure we get votes from true Veeky Forums players and not TG players is to only accept votes from coders and admins, since they represent the core of Veeky Forums

The nice thing is, every vote on the server has a ckey associated with it, so it will be really easy to just throw out anyone who doesn't meet that criteria

There's like 120 votes, we should just throw out any voter with under 100 connections.

Compromise, 600 connections and at least 2 years since first connection, that's not even one connection a day.

>[00:14:05]ADMIN: Apologyman deadminned themself.
[00:14:05]ADMIN: Apologyman deadminned themself.
>[00:14:05]ADMIN: Apologyman deadminned themself.
[00:14:05]ADMIN: Apologyman deadminned themself.

All these bitch boys crying about losing the poll.

If a coder did the same you'd mock them mercilessly.

That's fine

my new account's vote doesn't count now

That just means he's turned off admin for that round you dingus

>years behind every other codebase
if any of the other codebases added valuable things in the past five years, as opposed to ugly-ass resprites and irrelevant stat tweaks, we would have stolen them by now.

hell we used to have pipe bursting, slag, and ice way before bay adopted them. if we kept them around we probably could have come up with a cooler way to incorporate melting walls too.

That's fine

my new account's vote doesn't count now
An argument could be made that the influx of Veeky Forums refugees altered the poll result. Stupidly nobody set criteria for the poll beforehand so all votes count even from Veeky Forums refugee with 5 connections over the last 6 months

Don't bother, this is from a post on reddit from a guy who hasn't joined our sever in 2 years

The animations were already winning before Veeky Forums went down, we gotta find a new excuse.

Yes but now it's only winning by 3 votes, meaning if we remove the Veeky Forums voters removing it would've won

You call them TG voters but they can only vote if they first connected to our server at least a month ago.

and server hopping is done by many people, last time Veeky Forums went down was over a month ago and we got lots of Veeky Forums refugees that now can vote for a server they play on once every other month

I guess we need some kind of group that is insulated from just being flooded with new people to make these decisions. Perhaps some group of people who have contributed to this server in some way, perhaps CODERS.

>coders

just let OUR GUY Yclat approve all coding ideas

Yclat is not /our guy/ he has the worst taste of anyone I've seen on the server.

>Goon turf sprites
fucking ick, that perspective doesn't work at all.

Something like this would be better but would require full map reworks because wall-mounted equipment would have to be limited to being placed only on the south faces of walls.

I mean, you could, in theory reduce the sprites of wall mount stuff to fit in the tiny sliver of visible wall that the goon walls have on each side, but that would render most things and their animations utterly unrecognizable.

OKay, then give the coder approval status to Riekland_

what current goon walls are based off, for reference

>be Cosmo Kramer assistant
>apply to be tcomms technician, captain gives me the job
>fuck around a bit with some fun scripts but put them back when the cap tells me to stop
>run a script that filters all chatter to spurdo speak when I say a codeword over radio
>eventually get thrilled by a vamp
>he gets captured while I'm in medbay, so I turn on the tcomms script and try to save him
>he gets spaced, but I manage to space the HoS while that happens
>captain comes looking for me, doesn't know about the HoS, but is mad about the tcomms script
>I disable it in exchange for just being fired instead of going to perma
>only say the codeword, leave the script running
>he's satisfied, I travel off into space to find my vampire master
>manage to find his head and try to travel back to the station
>run out of jetpack fuel twice and spacepod fuel once before dying to a spacecarp while still drifting through space
>in my dying breathes reactivate the code and watch as the station fights off a blob with spurdo speak over comms

fug :DDD

that was a good round thank you all for being in it it was a lot of fun to be playing in that round with all of you

>that medbay

I enjoyed that round as well

I fucking lost my shit when I saw that. Spat water all over my desk.

I tried my best, that was the first time of me working in medbay without having someone do everything.

just read the wiki and you'll be good

github.com/vgstation-coders/vgstation13/pull/14722

PBJ is a sperg.

But is he wrong?

Yes.

How

Does cluster and pbj even play the game? How can they make these decisions if they themselves don't fucking play ATMOS OR ENGINEERING

Well, the initial pipe layering implementation was a huge power spike for autmos that wasn't necessary, sort of went against (what I vaguely remember of) the initial intent of the PR, and only makes it more annoying to get biggest numbers in atmos projects with no interesting boost in build sophistication.

He's wanting to lower the amount of autism people are able to do just because he thinks his flavour of autism is higher class.

I mean yes and no. If you're talking about this change cluster made his decision on it long ago when he was still playing. PJB came to the same conclusion when playing recently.

>Boy I'm stacking 5 layers of every device I can find, damn I'm so fucking good at this.
Good fucking riddance. You don't need layer stacking for anything.

Do you think repeating an action 5x increases your autism level?

Cluster hasn't played in like 2 years, but then again, why does that even matter? These are 2 people, if the rest of the playerbase doesn't have a problem with it, they can fuck off with their shitty changes.

No but it allows more flexibility when it's actually needed.

I admit it's overused right now but removing it completely is batshit insane.

This change was made 2 years ago, back when he played. You're just parroting what I just said but acting as though you've contradicted it.

Could you explain what the flexibility is?

It's disgustingly overused. It should just go, it adds nothing except atmos powercreep at the cost of wasting a ton of time.

You're 100% correct
You also don't need clonexadone to clone but it's nice to have

You still didn't tackle my other point, why do you 2 fuckers get to decide to change something, especially when people are already against it, if you're going to do a big change do it proper and have a poll vote on it, don't be like "BLAH BLAH I ME AND ONE OTHER GUY THINKS THIS SHOULD BE CHANGED SO ITS GETTING CHANGED"

Like I know you're a sperg pbj but consider others before you jump the fucking gun

O N E M O N T H
youtube.com/watch?v=Y6eR7WkZPMc
O N E M O N T H

People are against things without hearing the reasons why just as a kneejerk reaction. Nobody gives a shit about that kind of opinion.

As the complexity of a build increasing the space required for it starts getting silly if you cannot layer devices. It's at that point you start saving time with layered devices rather than wasting it, as you don't need to physically build as many chambers/etc.

Still doesn't mean you can't make a big change without asking the playerbase about it, like gee maybe this would have been easy to merge, if you brought up a poll about it, and let data gather for a few days, atleast then if people agreed with you, you could use that as a backing point.
All you're doing right now is digging yourself a hole where you and cluster will probably sperg out together.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't currently have the same number of burn chambers with 5x piping for greater results?

>Don't rely on an OP crutch which I should've killed years ago in the GitLab PR AND you'd have sucked without complaint if I had done it.
>This shit is why we need the Ivory Tower.
Shouting at deaf ears.

Bullshit, a poll is the epitome of gathering kneejerk reactions. Just like how 6 people "downvoted" that PR before even reading a single reason why or why not it should be merged.

This is what emojis have done to the github and playerbase as a whole.

What the fuck does "balancing" engineering even mean?

No because that would take too much time, and you have the choice to do it if you wanted anyway. With the removal of layering it FORCES you to make over-complicated fuck huge time consuming builds.

Does anybody else feel like Xenobio and Telescience are overshadowed by the rest of Research?

Toxins gets bombs and can shred the station. Xenoarch gets guns and all kinds of other toys. R&D can make pretty much anything. Robotics have dominion over borg-related items and exosuits.

Xenobio gets what, Golems and Slime People? Slimes themselves, despite being dangerous to the Xenobiologists, aren't even practical to use as biological weapons.

Telescience is like Science's janitor closet. Granted you can use it to steal a whole lot of shit from just about anywhere but only if you're a metagaming fuck that memorized the coordinates of shit like the Head of Security's locker or the Armory. The teleporter console desperately needs a better interface.

6 people gave a thumbs down within 10 minutes of that PR getting made before any explanation was made. How do you think a poll would have helped?

muh numbers
your numbers must be at least THIS HIGH TO RIDE
numbers ARE TOO HIGH
i waNT SMALLER NUMBERS

>poll for attack animations
>B-BUT IT'S JUST TG REFUGEES

>controversial PR comes up
>WHERE'S THE SERVER POLL

Golems make good shields, being immune to burn damage and all.

wow it's almost like each thread gets several hundred unique ips

So you're saying the threads opinion doesn't matter

Beats me.

I'm a longtime engineer player, and rampant MoMMI player as well, and all I do ingame is make enough power to run the station.

"Autism" to me, means setting up pipes and wires and things so to power the station as quickly, safely, and long lasting as possible while requiring the least maintenance.

It's fun to try new things and see how compact and efficient I can make stuff that juuuust gets the job done.

I have no fucking clue what this ranting and raving about device layering has to do with anything.

It's nice to be able to layer shit, but it's not vital to get the whole station powered quickly, sufficiently, and without needing maintenance. All layering does is let me do things in a smaller, cuter setup.

Atmos shit doesn't even matter.

Or you can go with less powah for less clicking.

i'm saying that the thread isn't one person
there is no "thread opinion" because it's not an entity

Xenobio also has the ability to mass produce phazon, bananium, bluespace crystals, and peridoxen.
Xenobio has a lot of more possibilities than you think user, but it will always be babby's first science.

Ok see now your argument is no matter what happens everyone will have a kneejerk reaction so no matter what im right because nobody clearly takes the time to read it, BUT HOW THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW THAT. Yeah no fucking shit people are going to downvote your shit immediately, thats what happens when you're known for sperging out when anyone disagrees with you. Maybe shit would be easier if people actually liked you, or you could handle proper criticism/bants

Trying to argue a point using shit parroted in a thread isn't going to help, half the thread is memes/shitposting, but so is PBJ and Cluster

I don't feel that you are likely to find anything new or fun in xenoarch either. I would appreciate if all of science got some new things, or even had some polish the things it already has.

hello probe

Read nigga.
>and you have the choice to do it if you wanted anyway.
>you have the choice
>choice

Right now you can CHOOSE to not use your time layering, just because you are so autistic you can't stop yourself doesn't mean you need to gimp all of us?

Wow that slippery slope fallacy.

No, not EVERYTHING is a kneejerk reaction but "downvoting" something before anyone presents any argument either way definitely is. And do you somehow think people voting in a poll would make sure to inform themselves any more than the people who opened up the PR? Also there was no proper criticism at the time people started "downvoting".

And if you're talking about someone sperging out after being disagreed with that describes you to a T

Hmm. Would you like it if the throughput of devices and capacity of pipes were both increased 20x?

So you're saying thread opinions don't matter

no, i'm saying you're retarded

That's just dumbing everything down, at that point layering would need to be removed all together cause of the sheer powercreep with that.

Sorry but that is a clear number of people in the thread who think polls are invalid, therefore polls are invalid. Just as when there was a clear number of people in the thread who thought polls were valid, then polls were valid.

People started downvoting because you're a literal meme, don't expect to merge big pr's that most of the playerbase disagrees with and not expect shit thrown back at you.
inb4 how do you know most of the playerbase disagrees, how do you know people downvoting are kneejerk reactions? and not people who are now aware of your shit pr and don't agree with the merge?

What's dumb about it?

>how do you know people downvoting are kneejerk reactions
Because no argument for or against was laid out at the time. No reasoning was requested either. The people "voted" against a PR without hearing out why the other side might want to do something.

That is the very definition of a kneejerk reaction.

Also I'm not PJB. PJB wouldn't know how to spoilertext

No, PJB and cluster just want the entire server to play the game the way they play it and they know they can make it so by merging eachothers pr's and get away with it because "it wasn't a self merge :)"

Heres an idea for PBJ then, because there is clearly no other way, create a poll in the admin only section of the forum, let the admins/headmins/pomf vote on it, thats atleast 25ish votes right there

For what purpose

It negates layers completely by increasing the yield of all parts to a stupid amount, a single scrubber could instantly remove any plasma in the air etc.

>admins
>playing the game
Even worse than the coders, 40 people on admins page
name 5 admins that actively play

Not to mention admins know even less about autmos than almost any coder does

Clearly because he thinks everyones out to get him thats part of the playerbase, so lets take a good chunk of the playerbase which is the admins, head, etc, which consists of people of all different kinds who have been playing for any number of years, atleast you will get a result that isn't a "kneejerk reaction"

Probe and a bunch of the others are solid at engineering