/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris
- (Future FAQ Pastebin goes here. If you want to contribute, reply to the OP with ideas or excerpts to use!)
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1 pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5 reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki

>Endless Legend
- Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.co
- District Cheat Sheet hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-ost-demo-early-access
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting

I suck at the game, any good mods that make Stelaris slightly easier while not being just plain cheat mods?

2nd for sexy empress

too soon.reported.

How

>pirate utopia from CODEX
>get a very persistent browser hijacker
>spend almost an hour removing it

I feel bitter and betrayed

Are there any stellaris mods that work at properly balancing FTL types?

Just play the game nigga how the fuck is it hard?

Wow.. Well that's just fucking rude. How dare they use such vulgarity in a game like this?

i was constantly refreshing 'civ4xg' for over an hour

>anything but RezMar releases from cs.rin.ru
You asked for this.

Stuck between Expansion, Diplomacy and Harmony.

W&B, wait isn't this the wrong thread for you?

>.ru

Am I being roused for a second time today?

What the fuck is THIS?!

Looks like sabik

>Finishing expansion 82 years into the game when you've even modded out core systems so the cap skill is wasted and you've already lost countless unity from not having courier networks
>Not opening prosperity first
>Not taking supremacy yet
>Taking domination of all things

About the only thing you've done right is taking and finishing discovery.

The Scourge arrives. Fucks shit up completely

wot

It's don't.
RezMar is the only reliable source for these things.

They pulled the universe bath plug and now you all going alternate reality.

Courier Networks? What are you talking about, this is vanilla.

Did you confuse Domination and Supremacy? I needed that +%20 Border Range early on because I was in an empire cluster

Because I am retarded and I keep getting absolutely shit on by RNG tot he point where I am convinced the game hates me
like my last attempt ended quickly because I got both fuck all minerals and power near me and got full annexed by my neighbour who had like 3 times the Ship power as me
and the save before that I was surrounded by fanatical purifiers who shit on me at the same time
and so on
I have never even been able to finish a tradition tree because I just suck that much

Yes...

>tfw no distant worlds with more detailed physics, ship systems and pop control
>tfw Eeast vs west was kill and will continue kill
>tfw strategy gamying is slowly dying
pls end me

Oh are you the guy trolling about being unable to install mods the other day and you're fishing with new bait?

Which is your favorite Endless Space 2 faction theme and why?

soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-ost-demo-early-access

I love the piano in the riftborn theme.

rezmar is a golden yugoslavian boy sent down to this Earth

Strategy gaming has been slowly dying since 2007 at the very least.
If anything we're at a local maximum.

>slowly dying
Only RTS, grand strategy is growing, civilisation is still growing despite getting worse in each iteration, and Endless Legend, age of wonders III, heroes of might and magic VII and ofc stellaris, Endless Space, Endless Space 2 and galactic civilisations III have all come out recently with large fanbases.

RTS diverged into Real Time Tactics and Grand Strategy desu

Oh for fucks sakes. This "strategy gaming is dying" meme has been around since Red Alert 2.

I've played Strategy games my whole life and strategy games have only gotten better throughout the years.

There's a fine line between the right control and too much control that it's pretty much autists only. DW rides the line fine in some areas but the ship design could be improved so much. And as for physics when you're dealing with space magic FTL and the general scale of such games physics go right out the window because they can become game ruining very quickly. Now if you wanted to design a game kind of like a more realistic MOO where you have near future ships battling in small tactical fleets physics could be a great mechanic. Kind of like in Nexus.

Why does the Dev Diary suggest they're going to fix the doomstack issue by making wars less micro-intensive?

Isn't that the problem? That doomstacks are too macro and boring?

Because one of the reasons doomstacks exists is because fleet management is so fucking horrible and microintensive, that it's impossible to manage multiple fleets.

Doomstacks are stupid and a shitty strategy compared to multiple smaller fleets as long as you avoid direct confrontation because you wreck spaceport, every mining station and every thing in the enemy territory much faster than with a doomstack.

It's just that micromanaging even three fleets is a pain in the ass.

The whole statement is self-contradictory.
They'll just slap some combat width meme on top of the current disaster that is fleet mechanics and call it a day.

Haha. Good luck. Every paradox game is doomstack smashing. Province supply limits are one of the few limiters that have been somewhat effective.

And maybe fleet missions like EU4 has.
>EU4 has better naval mechanics than Stellaris

I wanted more physics like star ruler. And ship design and populations are the only thing I wish they woul improve. (Aside from the UI)

What the fuck are you talking about, you retard, is this some double bait? It was your retarded ass couldn't see that I picked Supremacy and not domination

I think they're misidentifying the primary issue behind doomstacks.
Replenishing losses, essentially the macro aspect, is so time and resource intensive that the best way to safeguard both time and resources is to put all your eggs in one basket and decide things in one massive battle. Even if you lose you'll feasibly give the opponent a black eye, secure ample time to reinforce your one fleet instead of splitting your stack into multiple fleets and having to replenish losses in each one separately. I'm not sure what they're planning on removing because there is no fleet micro in the game right now unless you count exploiting the shitty AI. The micro they should be working on reducing is pop and building micro.

>inb4 system limiters where mroe than x ships in a system makes them slowly die from attrition
>AI doesn't get attrition though :^)

>combat width
In space?

Why don't they just make it so that Admirals affect how many ships can be in a single fleet, scaling with skill and technology, and add some ui improvements for the outliner

They'll call it 'formation efficiency' or 'communications overhead' but it won't change the fact that it will be combat width (in space).

>attrition in a game where food produced on one planet magically and instantaneously is consumed across 12 planets

They should just focus on making a decent fleet management UI and add the ability to give the fleets some kind of basic orders that they can do automatically, like patrol space automatically, attack weaker fleets and avoid larger fleets etc.

I don't think it's a problem that you can make huge fleets, it's that you can't manage lots of small fleets.

>implying this guy won't do it

Yet you don't even know what courier networks are, sad.

I'm not a big fan of the hive mind mechanic.

It doesn't feel much different from any other playstyle.

>let's be realistic (according to my thoughts about how galactic civilisations will work in the future)
>hahha wouldn't it be cool if there was a fucking flame dragon in space guys

Oh, It's a Expansion tradition, This is only my 6th game, sorry If I don't know the name of each bonus.

Also, I didn't mod out core systems because as I said, vanilla; and I don't know what are core systems

Don't need to be so rude, cunt.

This is the way to do it.
They need to add shit from hoi4 because shit like the army designer and general command caps would actually work in stellaris.
>Fleet designer
>Set ship ratios and construction priorities
>Shipyards automatically build as resources allow and each fleet rallies to a predesignated point.
>Admirals can support X command points of ships with an increasing cap each level.

Shit would be cash, but I fully expect halfassed combat width bullshit.

There's literally a space mind control satellite in the game that can tell you're masturbating to traps from geosync orbit and mindwipe you for it.
Fuck off paradog.

It's honestly just a place holder. They wanted it in the game so they could mess with it later (probably via EMPIRES OF THE SWARM DLC), but it doesn't really do anything right now.

They also need to make techs that buff spaceports so they don't crumble into dust at the lightest touch after you develop cruisers

That, and also make it so they don't take as long to build after repeatable techs

What do you mean "magically" and "instantenously"? You ever heard of logistics?

Shit gets moved around. Just because they don't show the actual freighters hauling food and shit, it doesn't mean it's magic.

don't mind that autist. core systems are planets that you can control directly. i think default is 3 planets, while a civic gives +2 and an ascension perk gives +5, while a repeatable research gives +1 for a few times. if you have more planets that your core system limit you get production penalty, so you have to put them in sectors

also
>diplomacy

SEMICIRCLE YES

they should show the freighters desu shit would be so comfy

But it legit is instant though
the Game doesn't register the logistics, the logistics don't exist, there is no interstellar infrastructure in this game asides from wormhole stations

>gale-speed and trickster traits
>Marr-Adetta system

Someone watches LOGH at Paradox.

Just play DW.

In endless space, does anyone know what happens to the resources you trade yourself to?
Traded a shitty system for some dustwater but where does the dustwater go?

But hey. we're getting fanatic purifiers civic for them next patch.

Yes, the game doesn't represent the logistics or infrastructure, but that doesnt mean it isn't there.

There's a scope to every game and logistics isn't part of the scope of this game. Do you know how stupidly complex games like this would be if everything present in the real world was some how represented in the game world?

Generally the traditions you want to get are
Open with prosperity for the mining station cost reduction
Pick up expansion and get the first 3 skills for more unity, less unity cost, and faster colonies and growth.
After that either finish expansion, start in on prosperity or go into discovery if you're going for specific thing like hard science or leader level gimmicks with talented and meritocracy.

>not going discovery after prosperity for PSC

It's not there, you cannot interact with it, you can't interrupt it or improve it in anyway.

It's magic and instantaneous

Having at least some representation of trade and supply lines in the game and being able to order small fleets of light ships (corvettes and cruisers only) to protect your own or disrupt enemy trade would be nice. Maybe one of these days they'll implement a mechanic from EU4 instead of CK2.

All depends how quickly you want to expand.
Unless I'm specifically playing a technocracy with talented and/or meritocracy I'll hit expansion first. If I'm playing for science I go hard into science and ignore colonization for a bit.

>tfw fucking empire total war had exactly that

Speaking of this, fleet formations fucking when?
I'm tired of my lead corvettes being focus fired early in the game.

Do you need to have family lives and every day lives of every population simulated as well for you to believe they have different ethics and show you how the ethics are formed because they can't be real, they're just magic and magically appear for every pop? Actually, we kind of need represent billions of individuals, because right now the game only has arbitrary "pops" to represent a population, but it can't be real that 12 people live on a planet and sustain it's economy? There' should be billions of people instead of 12, but they aren't shown so it's just magic.

Also the population growth is just a pop popping out of nowhere after a magical number of months has passed. They can't just be born out of nowhere, they need to simulate intercourse and actually show them being born, otherwise it's magic and instantenous.

They should probably simulate an actual universe, rather than making a game, because this shit is getting too deep.

Why wouldn't you want your corvettes to be focus fired?

i wish they'd shoot my corvettes. i hate losing cruisers

cravers theme is prety great imo

Who else wants blobs of suicide corvettes

>Doomstacks are stupid and a shitty strategy compared to multiple smaller fleets
Not until you break their initial fleet. Matching smaller against smaller is gonna result in you losing more ships.

But pops at least exist in the game.

You're arguing that logistics exist, despite there literally being no mechanic for them, fuck all.

GO away parashill

Slap afterburners on corvettes and downgrade engines on your cruisers.

shit nigger that makes good sense, but is it worth it to trade off capacitors on corvettes?
and doesn't downgrading cruiser engines slow down my entire blob?

early in the game user. I'm talking about the first fights when you have pretty much only corvettes and the arrow formation means one comes into range and gets focus fired, then a few more, then a few more. What would be far more effective is if I could set them to a box where far more would come into range and could fire at the same time both spreading out incoming fire, and putting more fire on the enemy quicker.

I would be happy with a system were you can give your fleet a preferred engagement range (close/medium/long) and whoever has the higher average combat speed can slowly force their preferred range on the enemy.

Maybe some orders about combat style as well, like aggressive (deal and take more damage, for when you want to take out a spaceport before the enemy fleet arrives) or defensive (opposite, for when you have to wait for reinforcements).

Probably wouldn't mean much in the end but at least it'd make me feel like I have a little more control.

Corvettes are going to die from anything if they get hit
Their big thing is evasion, so armor and shields literally don't matter.

You don't actually need to fight the enemy with smaller fleets. Of course you'd look to overpower them by moving the fleets around, but you can't do any intricate maneuvering with the current ui and fleet mechanics.

the survey research bonus is the most important for wide empires honestly, helps counteract your growth's crippling of your tech

It'll be a bigger issue if they do break doomstacks, lots more tedious rebuilding of ships.

Well, what do you want then? A little window that opens up every time you click something and says "Oh, yeah, so there's all kinds of logistics and shit going on in the background, so shit's movin' and it's not magic."

Just enough to mention the logistics and represent it in the game? Or do you need some overly complicated gameplay mechanics that are completely out of the focus of the game?

Defensive module barely do anything on corvettes, apart from the enigmatic encoder.
And cruisers with tier 1 engines are about as fast as BBs with tier IV so it doesn't matter, unless I'm misunderstanding how fleet speed works.

Idk what about system blockades, privateering, some sort of trade policy, you know, stuff that shows this stuff actually exists and isn't magic, it's not hard, plenty of games do it.

By the same token faster expansion means earlier and more access to good research station candidates

That isn't logistics.

Logistics is managing supply chains that involve money, information and material. These are all in the game, but you just can't see individual freighters hauling that 10 minerals from a mining outpost.

What you just listed aren't part of logistics. They affect logistics, but aren't a part of it.

This game can be too Swedish sometimes

>Happiness +10%
heh

I think people are more likely to unite on enjoying the sight of a pretentious statue smashed.

I reloaded an earlier save, so I'd take a different tradition, and go this.

Should I? I have 10 robot pops

>a pretentious statue

Its probably a mosque
Statues are haram