Dawn of War III open beta general

Game releases on the 27th. Beta ends 10AM PST on the 24th.

>beta install link
store.steampowered.com/news/28985/

>beta faq
dawnofwar.com/article/open-beta-faq

>guide (not including elites)
drive.google.com/file/d/0B8eQOuLPsze3UGJTVkllQ1VuczQ/view

>gamereplays strats
gamereplays.org/dawnofwar3/

>latest trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=NDHu5w-qM1Q

How is everyone enjoying the beta so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

metacritic.com/game/pc/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-iii/critic-reviews
play.eslgaming.com/dawnofwar/europe/dow3/open/1on1-open-beta-cup-1-europe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have not played beta, but can't wait for the reviews to come out. Really curious how the game will turn out.

A lot of reviews are already out. Most are giving it an 8/10, and the game is sitting at 82 on metacritic.

metacritic.com/game/pc/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-iii/critic-reviews

That's great imo. On the other hand I have a feeling that many die hards will find things to criticize and dislike about the game, as is always the case.

How does this compare to DoW 1 and 2?
How does it compare to SC2?
What do you think about the game from casual and hardcore points of view?

that's /v/ for you

Coming from someone who's been playing the open beta for a bit now.

It's way more like 2 than 1. Base building is a technicality, you only have five buildings to pick from and they're not particularly expensive. They removed Fall Back which means you have to be way more smart about committing. Heroes feel strong but don't feel overpowered, since you can still take them down with normal units. They removed a lot of upgrades and in-game unit customization (sergeants, etc), which simplifies things, but there's a much, much higher unit cap so it makes sense. Armies get way bigger, but battles still end up being relatively small-body skirmishes into retreats thank to unit pricing.

It's still just a shinier DoW2. Did you think DoW2 was better than SC2? Do you think DoW2 had the potential to be a hardcore game? Then you'll think the same as 3. It might get way more attention than 2 did, though.

$60 fucking USD.

>
It's still just a shinier DoW2. Did you think DoW2 was better than SC2? Do you think DoW2 had the potential to be a hardcore game? Then you'll think the same as 3. It might get way more attention than 2 did, though.

Man, this is exactly the thing I was worrying about! I was hoping that DoW III would have the potential to be a hardcore, centerpiece strategy game, on par with SC II.

>It's still just a shinier DoW2. Did you think DoW2 was better than SC2? Do you think DoW2 had the potential to be a hardcore game? Then you'll think the same as 3. It might get way more attention than 2 did, though.

Man, this is exactly the thing I was worrying about! I was hoping that DoW III would have the potential to be a hardcore, centerpiece strategy game, on par with SC II.

Bump for interest.

I mean, it's not necessarily a bad thing for it to be like DoW2.
They addressed some problems like the unit cap. They added base building to placate some fans, even though it doesn't matter way.

The """"""competitiveness"""""""" of a game is decided exclusively by how many twitch viewers you can pull in anyways. It's not like SC2 or LoL or CSGO or any of the other faces of esports are anywhere near being the most competitive or mechanically difficult games in their genres.

It's closer to DoW1 than DoW2, but it still isn't exactly like DoW1 yeah. It shares with SC2 the fact that you can get a lot out of units by microing them, and the fact that units die fairly quick (not quite as fast as SC2 tho).

I don't understand how people can say this is a "shinier DoWII" when it is much larger scale, has much higher lethality, and lacks the directional cover (has the garrison shield point cover instead) or automated retreat mechanics.

This is the problem with the dow3 haters/critics. None of them can agree on anything.

>It's too traditional! - It's not traditional enough it changes too much!
>It's too much like DoW1 / DoW2 / SC2 / MOBA / CnC / Supcom! (I have heard every single one of these)
>I just wanted Ultimate Apocalypse mod HD / Elite mod HD! - No those mods are shit!
>No no buy!
>Gameplay is good but art/lore is bad! - No, gameplay is shit but the art/lore is fine you Veeky Forums autist!

And then there's the paid shills (or just trollish shitposters?) spreading actual lies about the game.

SC2 (and even moreso BW because the mechanics are harder) are pretty much the most difficult RTSs to play at a high level. Autist Koreans practice that shit 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

I love all the DoW games and am enjoying DoW3 beta so far. I expect there will be a competitive scene for DoW3, it has very solid mechanics. But I don't expect GSL-level competition.

>No no buy!
This is a genuine complaint, though. 1 had 9 races. 2 had 6. Now we're down to 3 until the inevitable expansions hit, and it's the same 3 we've played as time and time and time and time again.

Dow1 had 3.5 races on release (SM and Chaos were extremely similar). Dow2 had 4 races on release.

Dow3 has 3 races on release (which is pretty standard for an RTS anyway), though they have more units than in previous titles.

EVERYONE GUESS THE GIMMICK FOR THE NEXT FEW RACES

Tyranids build Spore Chimneys instead of Listening Posts. Have no attack but spread toxic spores in a big aoe (think like the final levels of dow2 vanilla campaign with the red spores in the air). Spores lower sight radius for enemies and slowly regenerate tyranid units.

Tyranid research building is a floating Malanthrope which goes around grabbing the persistent bodies when infantry die. It has a weak attack but generally should be kept out of combat.

They build Magma Vents instead of req/power generators. Magma Vents generate biomass. Eating persistent bodies also generates biomass. Biomass is their primary resource.

Guys how do I win with Orks?

I have a serious case of gitgud-itis.

Early game spam boyz, shootaz are useless
Do forward base as close to their shield as possible
make 1-2 wagh towers there fast and boyz hut there
keep pressure activating waghs and collecting loot
later switch to nobz and use scrap to make killacanz

i got like 90% winratio with this

I'll try that next time, thanks. I'll switch out that Shoota doctrine that makes them auto-throw grenades as well.

We won't see Tyranids in dow3.
They were the surprise race in dow2.

We'll get Necrons, Tau, IG and Chaos.

started the game and immediatly started capping points whilst gathering troops to cap the mid points without fail
i just got 250 troops and WAAAGH'd them all
i just walked in their base and destroyed everything
ez win

Anyone gets the black screen when trying to start a game? It worked fine a couple of hours ago, but now it doesn't launch.

Can I somehow change so that I use the WASD controlls to move the camera?

>It's still just a shinier DoW2.
It's absolutely nothing like DoW 2. Absoluely nothing you said supported the notion of the game being anything like DoW2.

>build boyz

>send gretchin to cap point and build hut

>build more boyz

>build shooterz and give them the early scrap, they need it and boyz are good enough without it

>get first waargh, then surge boyz forward to cap a shield generator

>build a mechshop

>start building kanz and dreads, keep harrassing with boyz

>enemy will think your going green tide when you're actually going dread mob.

>drop down mek, then second waargh

>send boyz to destroy other shield generator, enemy will have specc'd for anti infantry

>sweep tower and core with surprise dreadmob

>win game

70% winrate

That image is gold. I actually can't wait to use Striking Scorpions when DoW3 releases.

Is eldar ultimate ability actually do something ?
So far i couldn't even fuck up blobs of tier1 units with it....

Just keep it on them for longer. It should shrek tier 1 infantry blobs. Particularly Ork t1 infantry.

Last post before bed:

Apparently there's an early tournament organized by ESL's "New Games" section.

play.eslgaming.com/dawnofwar/europe/dow3/open/1on1-open-beta-cup-1-europe

What the fuck is with the bugs in this game?
>units sometimes become unmovable
>animations sometimes lock up entirely so they slide across the ground if they can move at all
>guns pointing one way and firing in another
>tanks clipping into one another
>sometimes models swap out completely. I saw a gretchin that looked like some transparent rocks sliding around with the gretchin trapped inside
>takes several clicks to issue move or shoot orders sometimes
>can't unbind group hotkeys from certain units, forcing you to always select that unit
>game can't decide whether or not terrain blocks bullets
This feels like an alpha or early access release. Is this really a $60 game that's launching in under a week?

hold alt

The tank clipping is intentional, they tend to only do it when in chokepoints. It's to avoid bullshit pathfinding where they take forever to get anywhere taking turns.

I agree the inability to unbind group hotkeys is shit. Maybe you can do it, but I couldn't find it.

Haven't encountered the other crap you describe. Only bug I've had was a funny one where lootas looked like scrap as they walked around.

>I agree the inability to unbind group hotkeys is shit
I don't mean that you can't remove hotkeys. I mean:
>Select Tac Marine and Heavy Bolter squad, press ctrl+1
>Now select Heavy Bolter squad and Scout squad (Tac Marines are no longer selected), press ctrl+1
>When you press 1 now, it should only select Bolter+Scout, but instead you get all three and you cannot change this even if you rebind it to totally different units
This happens rarely but it's really fucking cool when it does

the loota scrap thing isn't a bug, its one of the army doctarines, lets lootas disguise themselves as scrap

Will you buy the game?

btw. They really have to balance unit cost and resource generation. Feels really strange so far. Also unit health and dmg. Some elite units just slice through armies without taking a hit.

Space marines need more health, so do orks

eldar need to do more damage, but should stay at current health

Man this game sucks. Uninstalled before the first match ended.

Even Halo Wars is better. CoH4 all over again.

Definitely not. I planned to buy it later on but this sucks.

Yeah, It's not perfect by any means but it is really fun. I'll play campaign and then probably mostly 3v3s with my friends. I'm too old for 1v1 ladder full tryhard seriousness these days.

Does anyone else feel like the game is really boring?
I already feel burned out on the game and I've only been playing for one day.
There just isn't enough content. Three races isn't enough. The diversity and unit options early game aren't enough, there don't seem to be many different build paths in the sense that you have to do certain things at certain times, and by the time you get to the fun/new units the game's practically over unless it's a 3v3 shitfest.
It just feels repetitive and it's only been a day.

yeah not enough variety in starting builds, at least as sm the meta build is asm and scouts with some dev, using tacs at all is not viable even with the grenade doctrine, any other strat is just straight up inferior to asm scout. in the esl tournament everyone is running that and anyone trying anything else loses.

anyone else having immense fps problems?

i5 4790k + 980 ti and so far could run every game on 2k with max settings 60 fps including witcher 3 etc

same settings in dow 3 gives me about 15 fps

i3 6100 and and R9 380 4GB here.
Game runs and loads perfectly, not even on a solid state.
I play on a 1600x900 monitor, though.

Try turning off AA
I have i5 3550 with 980ti and it runs at 60 on 2k without problems

Not buying it, it feels like SC2 except even less interesting with the league of legends towers and HP-gameover-building.

League of Legends has better micro, items, teamwork than Dow3.
SC2 has better everything else than Dow3.

I agree that it's a boring as fuck game, but having a gameover building doesn't magically make it remotely similar to LoL.
That's like saying it's similar to LoL because it has an overhead camera, or because the game has heroes.
And as much as I dislike the buildings, I understand why they exist.

Is the tournament being streamed?

>streaming
>no observer
Relic really fucked up there

Hopefully it's just a beta thing.

There's going to be a replay system at launch.

IDK about observer mode tho.