/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

RP edition

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris
- (Future FAQ Pastebin goes here. If you want to contribute, reply to the OP with ideas or excerpts to use!)
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1 pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5 reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki

>Endless Legend
- Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.co
- District Cheat Sheet hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Construction Complete:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tjbVIvjVMOk
youtube.com/watch?v=VxXDHegbpt0
youtube.com/watch?v=oNoy6AJ3-HY
youtube.com/watch?v=elK5iReyAMI
youtube.com/watch?v=IR5N0-DqZoU
youtube.com/watch?v=5cCB7nrhaKE
youtube.com/watch?v=VOS1xBqWYxU
youtube.com/watch?v=iNsI5eBn2gI
youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0dso2bPoA
youtube.com/watch?v=hPjSTAW7bpM
youtube.com/watch?v=kzpbCVH1Kfw
youtube.com/watch?v=6Tq5vaCzh7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=2DD_NR8fIpw
youtube.com/watch?v=gpsCFt6KVtE
youtube.com/watch?v=nRbGl9lbN18
youtube.com/watch?v=aSKjyo6b6FM
youtube.com/watch?v=ue3GWx2ItWI
youtube.com/watch?v=c8ZRBmik5DI
youtube.com/watch?v=vnSyocyljzY
youtube.com/watch?v=vWOQOwOnwAg
youtube.com/watch?v=ErUJsF1vJ9k
youtube.com/watch?v=3outQoC4qiA
youtube.com/watch?v=I_r19nEnt6s
youtu.be/Wu-zLip6tkI
youtu.be/PHyw9agRCZQ
youtu.be/12x8EANwK-I
youtube.com/watch?v=noneMROp_E8
youtube.com/watch?v=WQYN2P3E06s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

EVADING HOSTILE FLEET

>"When an AI-piloted, human colonist ship from the United Nations of Earth malfunctioned before reaching its destination, the emergency override systems activated and awoke the crew from their cryosleep modules. The ship crash-landed on an uncharted world with no casualties and few injuries, given the courageous efforts from the commander and pilots who took over. Since all communication functions aboard were irreparably damaged in the accident, these humans were completely isolated from Earth. The ship's AI - which held in its archives vast information about humanity and its accumulated knowledge - was salvaged however, which made it the perfect teacher for new generations of people born on the new world, the Alarians. The mentoring and guidance from this AI was vital for these humans to prosper on their new home, bootstrapping a scientifically oriented society in a matter of a few centuries."

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

I'm thinking
>Simple Naval Doctrine
Default Early game doctrine, little coordination between ship captains
>Strategic Defense Doctrine
Early defensive doctrine, ALL stations are more durable/deal more damage, ships have combat bonuses within your borders
>Attrition Warfare doctrine
Ships have bonuses vs mining and research stations, better FTL retreat, faster ship build speed to replace losses better than the enemy
>Indirect Approach doctrine
Faster ships, cruisers and corvettes have significant combat/evasion bonuses, better damage vs stations, much better FTL retreats. hit and run mixed with attritional warfare.
>Battlespace Destruction Doctrine
Destroy the enemy's fleets in pitched battles. PD/flak does better against craft/missles, ships have longer ranges, better armor. Admirals can command more ships in a fleet.
>Carrier Supremacy Doctrine
Fleets revolve around carriers ala IRL carrier task forces. Strike craft have much more evasion, speed, and damage; Carriers replace strike craft losses much faster. Carrier support aura (within this strike craft get even more bonuses) is larger. this doctrine is coupled with an overhaul of how strike craft work: they can launch as soon as the fleet enters an enemy system and engage targets on the other side of the solar sytem.
yeah and the AI could act based on what fleet doctrine it chooses. if it took the indirect approach it would focus on taking out your economic stations before engaging one of your fleets for example.

is there a way to completely wipe out a faction? simply having an active egalitarian faction and no other factors attracts 16% of my pops

Best you can do as far as I know is supressing them and investing in +Ethics Convergence Buildings/Reeducation Edicts

Enslaved pops can't join a faction and caste system lets you effectively choose which pops to enslave.

Post your favorite songs from 4X games
I'll start with Stellaris I guess

youtu.be/tjbVIvjVMOk

youtube.com/watch?v=VxXDHegbpt0
youtube.com/watch?v=oNoy6AJ3-HY

Holy shit that Australia one is beautiful

Will the faction cease to exist once it has 0 members or will pops still randomly join?

Not 4X but Paradox

Rome
youtube.com/watch?v=elK5iReyAMI
youtube.com/watch?v=IR5N0-DqZoU

EU3
youtube.com/watch?v=5cCB7nrhaKE

V2
youtube.com/watch?v=VOS1xBqWYxU

HOI3
youtube.com/watch?v=iNsI5eBn2gI
youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0dso2bPoA
youtube.com/watch?v=hPjSTAW7bpM
youtube.com/watch?v=kzpbCVH1Kfw

CK2
youtube.com/watch?v=6Tq5vaCzh7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=2DD_NR8fIpw

EU4
youtube.com/watch?v=gpsCFt6KVtE
youtube.com/watch?v=nRbGl9lbN18

Stellaris
youtube.com/watch?v=aSKjyo6b6FM
youtube.com/watch?v=ue3GWx2ItWI

HOI4
youtube.com/watch?v=c8ZRBmik5DI

Also this from Civ youtube.com/watch?v=vnSyocyljzY

>Stellaris

youtube.com/watch?v=vWOQOwOnwAg

>Civ 5

youtube.com/watch?v=ErUJsF1vJ9k

>Does Total War count?

youtube.com/watch?v=3outQoC4qiA

Some of the civ 6 atomic themes are really good and the australia one really takes the cake. Its so hopeful and feels like you've built a great a country when it plays.

It ceases to exist if it has 0 members, and thus they lose the x2 attraction.

Looking for some recommendations senpaitachi

Im a big fan of horror themes, fighting against fucked up monsters and stuff like that, any turn based or real-time strategy games like that youd recommend?
In return I give you a funny picture

That's a really funny picture! Do you mind if I save it, user?

Do carrier fleets work in Stellaris or are they shit like missiles?

I really feel for that intern.

Endless Legend isn't even the best 4X, but it does have the best theme and music out of any 4X.
youtube.com/watch?v=I_r19nEnt6s

>Can it be shot down by point defense?

If you answered yes, it's SHIT.

Darkest Dungeon
Sunless Sea

what do you edit in the save file to change your flag mid game?

>lets add something to the game that hard counters several weapon types comes super early and can be easily spammed
They can't keep getting away with this.

>play with some bad traits mod
>pick -20 lifespan

This is gonna be not fun

empire trait suggestions for a new player? government, racials, weapons, ftl method, etc

youtu.be/Wu-zLip6tkI

youtu.be/PHyw9agRCZQ

youtu.be/12x8EANwK-I

It's the most obvious pick ever but it's still my favourite.

youtube.com/watch?v=noneMROp_E8

Fun fact the minium age a leader can live to is 74 so with your -20 thats 54. In other words thats the youngest they can die you have some great luck friend.

I love the main theme from Civ 6. The soundtrack is probably the best thing about that otherwise medicore game.
youtube.com/watch?v=WQYN2P3E06s

On the brightside you have a great reason to buy enclave scientists, because lets face it, you'll be lucky to have a level 4 scientist for a year.

Couldn't PD be defeated with Swarmer Missiles if employed in big enough numbers?

I think biggest problem with missiles was that they all target one ship causing overkill and wasted dps as spare missiles disappear instead of seeking new targets

Regular PD is actually decently balanced honestly, missiles and strike craft still need buffing but its not as bad as people make it out to be. Flak on the other hand is OP as shit and needs a fucking huge nerf or just straight up removal honestly.

If you need to waste large amounts of slots to counter something you're better off just going for the other thing.

That and the overkill.

SOMEONE RECOMMEND ME MODS

Why would someone build a fucking dyson spere?
i bet its cheaper to invade fallen empire

I'd say its a good game now after the patches, not Civ 5 complete good but good.

It's fucking awful, you might as well build habitats with how good their energy generation can be

Because it feels kind of cool, literally no other reason.

>play as fanatic purifiers
>immediately go after egalitarian materialist (as in, before the first year is over)
>he not only has enough minerals to constantly outbuild me, but also has more naval capacity
this is blatant cheating

>he fell for the advanced AI starts meme

>go attack someone who probably only has a spaceport with no more than a few corvettes

you're a fucking moron

>not scouting them before attacking
FOR WHAT FUCKING PURPOSE

That's what you get for hating freedom, bud.

I modded it so they take half the time to build and produce 1k energy at completion. It feels a tad OP now but I mean come on its a mega structure it should have a point to being built rather then just cause I can. And yes I know in real life the dyson sphere is pointless since the energy to make one would take more then you would get out.

Who cares if it's OP, for 4 trait points and 200k minerals it better fuckin be.

How did you plan to win in the first place? The spaceport by itself is still like 1k fleet power at least. Even if he just sat there and did nothing you would had lost.
Sorta my logic by the time you can make them you dont need them and all the mega structures arent really worth it even if they were available earlier.

I don't think thats OP, they take so much effort to get that thats reasonable.

Playing my first game in Stellaris.
Is it worth building older hulls when you unlock a larger size?
Also stack all my fleet into one force or spread it out?

no advanced AI start, just blatant cheating

I'm aiming for subjugation, and I already have 10% warscore from waylaying his science ships

I don't plan on hitting the planet. I want to take out as many science/construction ships as I can to subjugate him

Yes you need a good fleet balance and Corvettes and Cruisers are the best ships in the games.

I do everything in my power to make the leader of my empire live as long as possible. So far I've managed 197 years through repeatable techs and edicting social research grants. Probably should try psi chosen one or to make them a synth but that would feel like cheating.

Wish existing leaders could be genemoded.

>he fell for the subjugation meme

When I embrace a faction for an ethic I already have, it will make it fanatic, right?
Will that weaken another ethic, or can I have two fanatic ethics with this?

>2231 ad
>forgot to change ship prefix

Might as well restart desu

[fear intensifies]

What the fuck?

>Post-Synthetic

>1337

>the happy starfish slug molluscoid waves at you

>it's a fanatical purifier

>fanatical purifiers

Still too cute to hate.

Do you guys play with the AI using your custom made empires, or do you always let it be random?

>How did you plan to win in the first place
If you kill his 1 ship fleet time after time you will get warscore from battles to a point when AI surrenders

>no Kumo
Aaaw...

Doomstack is the best way to play. Here's combat 101 for every single encounter in the game
>play cat and mouse with enemy doomstack until catching and killing them
>have transport doomstack follow your main fleet doomstack
>capture planets one by one (no need to leave occupation force or micro separate transport fleets as the AI is too slow and stupid to recapture them)
Remember to stick an admiral to your main fleet and general to transport fleet. They provide massive bonuses.

Also, when are they going to allow sticking transport fleets into main fleets directly? It's boring to micro them separately, but if you have them on auto-follow they'll always jump slightly behind and it's easy for them to get locked into battle and get fucked in less than a second. Or better yet, improve shipbuilding and allow sticking transport modules on proper ships akin to Distant Worlds.

Always random. It's very cool seeing a species you created spawn as a Fallen Empire, though.

purge

Why are Fanatical Purifiers such pussies?

not once have i had a game where they actually become a threat, they always get rekt before mid game even comes.

Is that genetically engineered THEN synthed?

>dead at 40

This -20 lifespan trait was a mistake

Because in early game everyone has at least 1 defensive alliance. Fanatical purifiers never conduct meaningful diplomacy. So the poor AI bastard is forced to have no allies if anyone attacks them and if they attack the AI has to fight 2v1 and of course the AI is to dumb to pull that off.

Fleeting is a trap.

I tried played Purifiers once myself. Their biggest issue is permanent -1000 relationship with every other empire, meaning instead of being warmongers themselves, the contrary happens and every single one of their neighbors declares war on them simultaneously. You'll be getting shitton of defensive wars from the start.

As a player you can easily work around this, but the AI can't handle being fucked from all angles.

You're quite unlucky, my species has that trait but scientists rarely ever died.

It's not fleeting m8, it's advanced fleeting

I guess so; I left an endgame running in observe for 300 years with a federation and migration treaties and this thing popped up in a member's territory.

Oh dear.

They either need to somehow buff the AI for fanatical purifiers (maybe give them advanced starts by default) or fucking nerf the amount of Defensive pacts the AI make with each other.

Probably the latter since the AI is sooo damn eager to make defensive pacts that it literally brings the entire game to an almost permanent standstill

Do I need to do anything beyond selecting mods in the launcher to get them to work or is the "achievements enabled" lying to me?

>small cute mouth starts to extend

Just make it so AI fanatical empire are advanced start theres no other way to give them a chance.
You should be able to tell really quick if your mod of choice is working just so you know UI and graphical changes will allow achievements.

That fish is a fucking moron

It's paralyzed.

The snail is venomous.

Oh god that's terrible, sorry fishbro

It's a fanatic pacifist.

Thanks user, I went into the game and the mods were active. The Achievements enabled thing must be broken.

that's fucking disgusting

>make an edgy as fuck race of Psychic Vampires for RP reasons
>Make them Fanatical Purifiers to provide my games with the idea of having an ever present adversary/threat to the galaxy
>they always get gang banged out of existence before mid game even comes.

Seriously Paradox?

please respond

>make purifiers
>win faster than any game I've ever done due to fleet bonuses etc

git gud

Genders when?
I want to enslave all female and purge anyone who is not male or female.

Why the FUCK is everything so slow at sublight? That and the fact that fleets enter a system at completely opposite ends is why combat is so fucking tedious.