/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

stop using hydrogen edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade
>Skywanderers

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Shadowverse, found in the shadowverse general, /svg/, not in this general

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb is back online, open to pubbies, look in serb browser

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531659576
youtu.be/f1U4SAgy60c
impact.colorado.edu/facilities.html
forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44505
fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=27305
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1st for welding in space

>stop using hydrogen

Fuck you buddy.

If for some insane reason someone needs a rotary dashpot in this game, you can make one using an overdriven propeller with the blades mounted at high pitch. Obviously it's not an ideal dashpot since drag works with the square of speed, but if you just need some damping you will be okay.

>you will never understand what the fuck is going on in Dichronauts

We need to compile a list of every single active general and put all of them in the definitely not /egg/ list.

Space is the perfect environment for carrying out electron beam welding, prove me wrong.

Electron beam welds can be T H I C C

Had to google what a dashpot is. Cool.

So when they have dampeners on the foundation of buildings out in Cali, is this similar to what you might expect to find?

No. those are gigantic counterweights suspended by cables.

What about those rubber mat foundation covers

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531659576
thots for Spengies?

Seems plausible but I dunno, I'm not a civil or mechfag. I only learned about it in control theory.

You need something to remove energy from the counterweights or else they will act like pendulums. That's what a dashpot does.

What I really want to see is a Coulumb gun (by analogy to a Gauss gun). There have been a few tests, but you can only put so many megavolts into them before an arc forms between the rings.

how is a piston dampener (dashpot), related to this?

is a rotary dashpot, which is the spinny analogue to a linear dashpot. This guy youtu.be/f1U4SAgy60c makes a simple rotary dashpot by tightening the screw on his pendulum. The pendulum robs energy from the building, but the dashpot is what dissipates it as heat.

Is the Factorio server still up? Is it populated at all?

I'm all alone on someone else's serb

Address is 198.27.87.101, password is clang

christ that looks awful

dEd

>> coulomb gun
They exist. Electrostatic accelerators are used to accelerate dust particles up to km/s velocities for hypervelocity impact studies:
impact.colorado.edu/facilities.html

Now if you could make one with a dust beam power on the order of gigawatts and put that bad boy on the moon, you could probably completely shit up earth orbit with moon dust. Like tonnage quantities per hour.

The cool part is that the acceleration length necessary to get the delta V to put dust grains on a highly elliptical orbit with a low periapis, is rather short, meters rather than kilometers long. So once we have sufficient power it becomes really easy to build these sand blasters from hell.

If we are really clever, we might be able to take advantage of radiation pressure to transfer our dust into LEO or GEO and seriously fuck shit up. Hell we can double the fun by put the dust into a retrograde orbit.

aaand in layman terms?
Shooting down satellites with moonsand, right?

Shooting down all the satellites and making space travel fucking awful

and I'll come when 015's here
a...user, why is gas connected to the sex fluid production?

>he hasn't heard of methanal

>a...user, why is gas connected to the sex fluid production?
It looks to me like he was intending to use it as both a lube and a solid fuel factory, switching it manually, perhaps?

Napeleonic warfare in FtD when?

Been fiddling with skywankers the kind of doors I like can be done but fuck is it cumbersome compared to classic tekkit frames also NO FUCKING RAMP CORNERS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Anyway, is anyone good with the logic parts in the game or know how to combine these movements into a simple open/close switch?

already looks like starmade 2.0

Yes you will!

>blanket the earth in smoke to cut the machines off of their solar power
What could possibly go wrong?
Ignoring the whole "how do smoke" issue, let's say the plan goes through:
Great, there's no sunlight for the machines... or plants, which ironically are required for every single bit of food produced.
It means that all food now must be grown with artificial lights. Given that humans have other power sources, I'd expect machines to have some as well.

Adding to that, day to day life now sucks - it'd suck even if there wasn't a war going on.
It's pitch black night all the time, which means you need lights all the time.
Society's power consumption will *explode*, whereas machines might not care all that much.
Who's to say they rely on optics similar to human eyes?

Reminder that this is actually what happened and the machines started farming humans to use as batteries via technomagic

When we get infantry and handles for weapon crews to grab and push said cannons.

Hey nobody ever accused the matrix of being well written.

>Putting the inputs and outputs on the same belt seems iffy
The only place where it's an explicitly bad idea is with iron smelting.
Iron ore is smelted to iron plates, which is then grabbed again and smelted into steel.
Unless carefully managed, such a setup will quickly spiral into a deadlock.

I always wondered how they "grew" humans.
Magic nutrient paste from dead soil?

>It's pitch black night all the time, which means you need lights all the time.
That's not the case.
Just making it hazy (even dusty, really) is enough to drastically reduce the available power harnessed through solar panels.

>seed clouds
>short exposed shit
>fuck infrastructure
>block sun

I think the permanent scorching of the sky was a bit much.

Tenk transport

Literally why not just use a train, drive it there manually or make a better tank.

tfw need a transporter for the transporter

Tank trains in Factorio when?

>why not just use a train
That's probably better unless trains cannot take it where it needs to be in time. Maybe tracks have been damaged or somehow it's too wide for the rail line but not too wide for road transport or something.

>drive it there manually
Better range, better fuel economy, better top speed, and/or does less damage to pavement?

>make a better tank
you go to war with the tank you've got

All that into an airdrop ship that can be launched from a carrier bote.

Moot point, the M4 was already a better tank in that it needed no transporter. They could drive off the ramp in Normandy and ride their own tracks to the Rhine on the factory tranny and final drive.

>9 hours ago
Is it still alive?

In layman's terms, shooting down all the satellites and making it so that Earth can never launch satellites again. Oh and giving Earth a nice and pretty ring system

Yes, but last I saw the factory was getting trashed by ayys.

The problem is that these things require hard vacuum to work due to arcing concerns. Nobody is going to use a vacuum chamber to test a weapon that could feasibly destroy said vacuum chamber. We're not getting anywhere with these guns until there is at least a machine shop in space, then these things lose a shit-ton of weight while potentially being more power-efficient than railguns because of high voltage/low current.

Tanks are super inefficient. A dedicated tanker is probably cheaper and easier to maintain.

Factorio update:
forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44505

>Added flamethrower to the tank.

who /steam/ here?

>serber is STILL on 0.14.22

not me
nuclear power all the way

>make new game for the update
>spawn here

>Fuel type now affects vehicle acceleration and top speed.

>the trenstops can be shut down by wires and all trens ignore them
>also trenstops give humongous penalty to pathfinder

I came

What game is this?

>those fucking seagulls
Aside from the fact that it says it in the post, that's a dead giveaway, FtD, from the depths
Learn to read user

There is literally one game where they use such cheap-ass gull model

eh?

Mine crashes on DL
I guess there's reason why it's "experimental"

Yeah it seems there are quite a few more people at the forum who are having similar crashes. Guess we'll have to wait another day for nukular reaktors.

anyone wanna help a piratefag out with .15?

So you want to crash for free huh?

I mean, is CRASH really that different from CLANG?

t. Computer Scientist

>crash
>for free
jej

NU FTF UPDATE:
update V1.968:
-Content update to all multiple planets
-More to be released shortly- thank you for your patience
>Wow, it's fucking nothing. More nothing coming Soon(tm)

Unified campaigns

There are 4 right now, but there's an empty space next to those 4 in the main menu, so who knows... Maybe they're going to put a land combat RTS so nobody plays it

aparrently disabling steam cloud sync fixes the issue

My factorio hasn't crashed without any changes or fixes. I did read somebody say to use the non-steam version which supports Serb?

More like unified playerbase

I can confirm, that indeed fixed the issue.

>posts about the game crashes
>see this
yeah it fucking fixed it for me too what the fuck Factorio

>>serber is STILL on 0.14.22
Updated

I'm at work right now, so if it's fucked, too bad. I'll check on it when I get home in another 4 hours.

>fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=27305
>balance update
>the twentieth fucking balance update
Balancing is an alright idea right now only because Nick has basically abandoned the main game in favor of the exact same game except on a different branch.

All I see is:
Block AC (armor i guess) increased, health increased, cost decreased.
>AKA: more cheese

And the (not)funny parts:
Make 'wavefront adjuster' for lasers also pierce water.
>Using subs to avoid cheesing fights? Never again

Batteries start fully charged. (This is in respect to the shield changes, to prevent alpha strikes from being unfair.)
>No more oneshotting cheesefucks before they put their shields up

Turrets can be motorized, causing them to turn faster at the cost of energy.
>Guess who gets benefits? Massive vehicles, why would you build small anyways?

Accuracy penalty from Disruptor headpieces (APS) removed.
>Might be the only good thing in this patch, because...

Fragmentation rounds rebalanced, they do 25% damage at a 1 degree cone, 200% at a 180 degree cone (APS)
>Fuck you, Nick

And more stuff like new kind of shields and whatever that i don't feel like commenting because it's probably the same

>spawn on islet.
lel

>Fish can be collected by robots.
Finally.

Tell me about the fish; why does it swim?

You didn't see all the useful changes because your hateboner for Nick is so big it is blocking your vision

I thought you'd be happy that they nearly doubled the speed cap for jets so smol plens can go super fast again

I feel like chode and ftd are the exact opposite of each other. Smaller is better in chode whereas ftd gives all the benefits to 50K+ block monstrosities with 10 layers of shields and enough anti-missile guns to tear most reasonable designs in half. chode also doesn't care about balance as long as it's scientifically accurate, whereas ftd doesn't care about balance as long as the balance is skewed towards the aforementioned monstrosities.

The Stupid is strong with this one.
Nick unified into a competent developer when?
>You didn't see all the useful changes because your hateboner for Nick is so big it is blocking your vision
>t.NotNick

Excellent observation, user! I am, in fact, not Nick

Am I nick?

Steam currently has a daily deal (70% off) on Space Engineers.

>hey if you were so angry at the guy you could see that he's done "some" good things
>NO HE'S THE DEVIL AND NO ONE COULD POSSIBLY DEFEND HIM I'LL JUST CALL YOU HIM TO DISMISS WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY
or you could not be a child for ten seconds, you can do that as well

I don't know, are you?

yeah i was thinking of getting space and medieval engis for that 16 shekels, is it worth?

Medieval Engis? Absolutely not

whats wrong with it?

It has even less content than Sponges

you say that like spec engis has nothing for content?

>I thought you'd be happy that they nearly doubled the speed cap for jets so smol plens can go super fast again
>removing a speed cap is a good thing, so you shouldn't be mad at the other bad things

My hateboner for Nick is so big that it has it's own gravity field, i admit it. You should admit that that "balance" patch will fuck things up more if you don't follow the cheese way

I'm not sure.
I wouldn't have asked if I knew.

No, it has less content than an actual sponge.

It has the cool stuf that spengos dosent.
>females
>compound blocks
>ropes
>NPC's

You're aware this patch is still being worked on, right? How about getting on the forum and telling them what you think?