/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Beasts of old edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date, but we can hope):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fgp3HJhORDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=99myH1orbs4&t=1025s
youtube.com/watch?v=SNE2oCZH_4k
youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4RMGZmLTs
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cooking
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Thought#Nourishment
youtube.com/watch?v=_r0n9Dv6XnY
pastebin.com/C1hJEc6E
youtube.com/watch?v=mzxZ65_-KF4
youtube.com/watch?v=CaRwxM_OiG8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How do I stop my dorfs from eating raw food when I have a fuckton of lavish meals?

Are you certain they can actually reach the lavish meals? Are you certain they're not much farther away? How do you know?

How can one game be so based?

Lavish meals are only for export anyway.

Really? They don't make the dwarves any more happy?

Who cares? They have alcohol.

>Sell all Lavish meal to the caravan

>Food expires-in 4 day, its a 5 days journey

Truly super villains in the making

Bro, I've had fortresses spiral into stress and madness. I want them to live the most lavish lifestyle I can afford.

The peasantry don't need more than plump cookies and crackers anyway, the finer food should be for the finer folks anyway

now back in the food lines shoo shoo

I thought higher quality meals make dwarves happier too, but apparently there's a bug: it only makes them happier if the meal has at least one ingredient that they like.

Food/meal variety is important too. The only readily available food in my current fortress is tallow-only meals, and they're getting heartily sick of a constant meal of deep-fried fat-battered lard-covered lard balls.

>see picture of dotsman last thread
>realize the fucker is sitting on his own tapestry
>his farts are more artistically talented than I am
fuck

After reclaiming a fortress 2 of my dwarves do nothing except spam "cancel eat could not find path"
I have tried to burrow or forbid all food, but it still happens

Mmm I dig. I usually grab food from caravans so I think I'm set on that.

Sounds like a poor bastards are gonna glitch themselves to death.

Only 2? Where are they? Are they separate from the others? Do they move? Do they take jobs? Try to isolate the problem. If the problem is indeed the dwarves themselves not moving for some reason, try digging the floor they stand on to "reset" them.

The broken fog of war means that you can see some parts of the fortress without necessarily seeing the corridor leading there. Dorfs can't path through unknown areas, which causes what you describe.

The solution is simply to make a one man squad and move him around the fort until all known areas are connected.

>[undiscovered parts of fortress]
Oh right, I completely forgot about that, disregard what I said in

Have you fully rerevealed the entire pathable portion of the fort? Sounds like there's a path to something they want that's at least partially unrevealed. It's the same kind of error as the "cancels store in stockpile" spam that people get after breaching a cavern and not exploring it.

>tower in the middle of the desert with 100z deep level moat full of undeads
Will this work?

You know what? Fuck this question.
I'm going to do this anyway.

Now you're playing Dwarf Fortress

Work how? Are you asking if it's possible to make a tower and a 100z deep moat? Aside from the question of whether or not a 100z deep anything could qualify as a moat, sure. It will probably cut into all three caverns, and possibly into the magma sea depending on the depth of your embark, in which case you couldn't fill it with undead unless they were also magma proof.

Or he pumps the magma somewhere else, and walls it off.

Yeah, it would be terrible if the magma actually worked as a defense.

Well, if he really goes 100z then the magma at the bottom isn't going to defend him any more than 99z of open space above it do. Neither will undead at the bottom for that matter.

I remember that undead were magma-proof in 34.11- inert corpses disappear, but zombies just keep burning for eternity. Has that changed in the newer versions?

Yeah, it was fixed years ago. 2014, in .40.01 IIRC.

It's obvious that he'd do it for cosmetic reasons, rather than functional ones.

Personally, I'd prefer a 10-something drop into a magma moat, BUT, there should be platforms with zombies on them over the magma. One floor above the platform, your necromancers can overlook the platform through a window (necros can animate through windows, no?).

This way, anyone who dies on the platform can be reanimated. Plus, the occational zombie falling into magma prevents overpopulation and the fps issues that come with it.

Sure it'd obviously be for style points. I was just pointing out to that the magma wouldn't serve any defensive purpose.
And yes necros only need LoS to reanimate.

What are good heights for moats and drop pits? I figure 2 z-levels won't do much but stop people climbing out, has anyone done dwarven research on how far you can drop a goblin to get x%probability of death or disability? The wiki suggests 20 deep but I feel that's probably to guarantee absolute splatter, using wounded gobbos as target practice could be more entertaining.

I am embarked right next to a river too, maybe I can set up floodgates next to the waterfall...

My investigation has gone tits up and now I'm stuck about 5 floors underground with an injured foot, I managed to crawl away through a few empty rooms into a dead end, eat some food and drink some blood splatter. Is it possible at all to sleep inside a hostile building?

Depends on whether they're armored or not. If yes, 10z+ isn't excessive for crippling injuries, and you'll kill some too. A while back I did drop tests with dwarves in the arena, and at 9z (the max for the default arena) dwarves in leather armor would often injure hands and feet, but only rarely would they get other injuries.

Post comfy music to listen to while dorfing.

For me it's this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Fgp3HJhORDQ

I wonder when he's gonna implement global lightning so he could rewamp old static color scheme for a fluid SDL RGBA control system. Imgaine how cool visual improvements could get, like so you could guess a dragon's age by the color of its scales or make some colorful magic explosions and stuff. I remember somewhere in devnotes he wanted to allow glass objects to change ambient lightning when the light goes through them.
Really moistens my dreams.

youtube.com/watch?v=99myH1orbs4&t=1025s

not exactly dorfy but very comfy

>Not posting Simon Swerwer

cmon bro

Can't go wrong with something like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=SNE2oCZH_4k

my current fort is a shit ton of selling meat barrels.
I have overdone it a bit with the animal breeding.

>my current fort is a shit ton of selling meat barrels.
i think I had a stroke writing this
my current fort is selling a shit ton of meat barrels

This guy hasn't once passed out and he just injured my guy with 2 bites. I kind of respect the little bastard now.

Everyone here already knows him though.

>Toady
>using any graphical option that isn't super basic

They'd be worth tons more if you processed them into meals first.

Most of them have the "no decent meals" thought and I see them carrying "prepared" food to the dining room and eat it. There are two stockpiles, one under the tavern with lavish meals and one under the kitchen with raw foodstuff.

Any other obscure games that I should know about?
Im sure there are more games like DF and aurora

Beginner here, have a few questions:
- do I have to designate a drinking area next to the river for my dwarves?
- Where can i get seeds? my dwarves eat all the plump helmets very fast.
- Have made my dwarves dig a hall to create stockpiles of stone/jewel. But only one is moving the stone, i check they all have the job hauling stone enable.
- is there a stockpile for ore and metal?

thanks in advance

cataclyms is .. interesting. but not as good as df.

Some People around like elona..

1.)No but if you want them to drink from a specfic area you should zone it as a water source.
2.)Gather Plants, Embark with them, or buy them from traders. You should know that cooking plants destroys the seeds but brewing them does not.
3.) Are the other dwarves engaged in another activity?
4.) You can create custom stockpiles with p-c-t

thank you very much.

for the 2) how do i make sure they do not cook the plants? I just disable every cook labor every time?

3)the dwarves have finally moved their asses, dont why they were doing nothing for a while.

Go to kitchen settings in the [z] menu.

want some crossbows?

I don't really have "money" problems. I feel like I already have more stuff than I can sell.

You can disable it in the Z menu. hit z and tab over to kitchen

2) Status(z) to Kitchen(TAB i believe) and set Cook next to Plump Helmets to red.

youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4RMGZmLTs

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cooking
If you didn't order the cooking jobs then they're not being cooked. Eating them raw leaves seeds.

The more profit you give the caravan the more they bring next year. Anyway, you lose nothing by cooking your meat, it's just a straight value increase.

ok perfect, thanks a lot.

A trade caravan has arrived, in the 'g' command on the depot, i define the item i sell or the ones i want to buy?
Sorry for all the questions

check the wiki page for trade, it has a handy graphic.

The items you want to sell. g is to move goods to the trade depot. When you have set what you want to trade, Dwarves will pick up the items and bring them to the Trade Depot. Make sure to press [r] to get your broker to the depot. If you have no broker, set him in the [n]obles menu.
Once all the items have moved you can [t]rade on the Depot

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Thought#Nourishment

They need to eat their favorite food, a masterful 4x plump helmet roast won't do a thing.

yeah perfect, thanks! no idea what i will trade though. I have a bit of ore and jewel, could be nice to buy a lot of seed to not worry about food for a while

oh... ok. I always tried to make the traders profit as small as possible.

No problem asking questions. You can wiki all the stuff you're asking, though, and will almost always get better answers faster that way. It's just by chance that there are a few people monitoring the thread who don't mind handholding.

i read the wiki a lot, but you guys tends to give the extra advice which is often very helpful.
Also the answer tends to be more precise and you give the extra hints on future problems i might have.

Do you actually engrave stuff with your engravers?
I think they look pretty stupid. So I just let my engravers (usually 2 or so) smooth everything in the fortress

they = the engravings

You can disable the weird looking part of the engravings but it will still be highlighted. You could alter your tileset to make them look exactly like smooth stone

I smooth everything but I only put engravings in strategic locations. I also hide them so they have the generic (and much cleaner) engraved stone tile instead of showing whatever random shit Sibrek McStoneworker decided to make.

So for example if they have a preference for plumps, and I only got raw fish and meat lavish meals, they won't go for the lavish meals over raw fish?

>Most of them have the "no decent meals" thought
I know your pain. I cooked like 2000 masterfully prepared roasts, yet fuckers decide to eat dirt and raw mushrooms most of the time. Even raw meat though its not in their "preferred" food list".
I solved the problem by ordering 5000 roasts to be prepared and stockpiled, turning all my raw food into prepared meals, and stopping the raw food production completely.

My entire fortress is now happy as FUCK due to eating amazing meals, hell they are more ecstatic about food they eat than stressed about those children I atom-smashed a few weeks ago during my "fps boost yearly cleanup".

Ooooooh!

I've enjoyed Gnomoria, Rimworld etc but I keep seeing people talking about DF. What's so special about it? Is it just the typical Veeky Forums faggotry where people tend to roast popular games and praise the shit ones or is DF special in some ways?

>Is it just the typical Veeky Forums faggotry where people tend to roast popular games and praise the shit ones or is DF special in some ways?
That's exactly it.

DF is the most popular of the three, you know. Gnomoria's been dead for years and Rimworld can't even keep a general alive for more than 7 posts.

›‹‹››‹‹››‹
ohhhhh
›‹‹››‹‹››‹

>traded inspects cloth from the ca-rave-an

>Human dancer requests permission to stay as a performer.
>Allow it, just this once... once... once-unce-unce-unce-unce?

Can't go wrong with an old classic that seems to have been related to a gag in 1001 ways to die hehehe

youtube.com/watch?v=_r0n9Dv6XnY

played Rimworld, did some shit, read the wiki felt like I did&seen everything except some of the "endgame" shit, stopped playing... meh

play DF, I instantly get eyefucked by the matrix. Its like a data stream directly liked to my brain. I create a new world and nearly bust a nut in anticipation seeing all this sexyness unfold in front of me. Seeing civilizations rise and fall in minutes. DONE. My hands are shaking. Choose a civ. Instantly have more loyalty towards it than to my own country. Embark in some place feeling like i'm Columbus or Magellan or something. Travelling into the unknown with nothing but my undying dwarven spirit. Man vs beast. Civilization vs nature. the most primal, real story there is. An untamed wild belonging to walking gods. ready for us... ready for me to conquer....
We are here. Strike the earth!
Using nothing but my raging boner I minefuck a home into the solid rock of the mountain...
Its a good game. ok?

>...
>....
>...
>....
>...
Stop typing like a faggot dude.

If you've played Rimworld, then you should already understand half of what makes Dwarf Fortress interesting: the potential for mayhem due to only having partial control over your little psychopathic pawns, and the player's ability to make them do whatever it takes to survive. It makes for some pretty good stories.

What sets DF apart is threefold: 1) you have the freedom to build whatever the hell kind of fortress you want, 2) there's a lot going on under the hood of the game, ranging from world events to dwarf personalities to the fact that combat tracks injuries down to individual teeth, and 3) a fort can have as many dwarves as your computer can handle. (Also, you can build up/down with Z-levels.)

Meanwhile, Gnomoria mimics Dwarf Fortress's game mechanics and slaps a fancy coat of paint on it, but stripped out everything that was remotely interesting.

here's the vampire/bat curse from the last thread

pastebin.com/C1hJEc6E

I still can't get it to work ;_; for the life on me though

The special thing about DF is that games like Gnomoria and Rimworld wouldn't exist without DF.
They were made specifically to be "Dwarf Fortress-lite." Removing a lot of DF's complexities and adding graphics.

stop responding to the bait.

Bleh, after I eat I'll troubleshoot it again but it works in the arena for me.

what ever happened to Incursion?

I FUCKING HATE AQUIFERS HOLY FUCK AAAAGHHH

Delet them in the raws then you dumb silly!

Find an embark site with both an aquifer and non-aquifer biome and have the best of both worlds?

don't worry user your not the only one!

I kekked then, and I kek now.

Which one are you?

I am a drunk. But I mostly like to drink.

what tags do you add to the creature standard file for it to appear?

This has been my favorite lately for whatever reason:
youtube.com/watch?v=mzxZ65_-KF4

I like aquifers.
This probably is the best though.

what a piece of shit.
you owe me 8 minutes of my life.

THE DEAD WALK HIDE WHILE YOU CAN!

OR FIGHT THEM WITH YOUR ADAMATINE!

youtube.com/watch?v=CaRwxM_OiG8

Oh, you don't, it's a world-gen deity curse or you could trigger it by like, adding a [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:WAMPHYRI_CURSE] type of setup in a creature.

Make sure you give them [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] and [CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY] or that creature will spam it any time you bump into them.