/arena/ - Arena FPS General

pet the lizard edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Play Quakeworld for free: nquake.com/
Play Quake 2 for free: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Play Unreal Tournament 4 for free: epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

Quake Champions closedbeta signup: quake.bethesda.net/en/signup
QC beta waves are each week and usually last for 3-4 days each starting on either Thursday or Friday. The beta is under NDA, so post screenshots/webms with caution.

le thread précédent:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XKWrbpehhhc
youtube.com/watch?v=zFPDKo81cbg
youtube.com/watch?v=YIlpA57Pl5A
youtube.com/watch?v=aiBDSOknI9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=hPjCwD1cidg&t=335s
youtube.com/watch?v=onI6I3PyhhU
quake.bethesda.net/en/champions/315auFgxmEAc8CiK4Ai4Qy)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for buff Scalebearer.

sorlag more like sore lag
sorlag more like free frag
sorlag more like on balls gag

Why has no one bitched about Sorlag's ability yet? The acid literally covers your screen with a distortion like a zombie game. Your screen is effectively blacked out in an arena shooter. No one has a problem with this yet they throw a fit about everything else?

>we will never get Bones because they can't sell cosmetics for him

feels bad man

>getting hit by the acid in the first place
>not instantly deleting sorlag players the moment a pixel of their model enters your field of vision

I knew someone would bring this up. There will be situations where their acid flies across the room around a blind corner while you are going too fast.

you're gonna need a big ball gag to fit in that mouf

anyone got footage of this? i dont think i ever got hit by her acid, no one really uses her ability well

her model is so fat that you can hit her while blind anyway

she's a fat cow so go frag her, okay?

>what is armor

It's literally killing the fat fuck in Left4Dead and you get the goo screen, or any zombie game that has a bloated version, really.

sounds pretty bad, but according to the wiki page you only get this effect if you are hit directly by an acid projectile, not just from any acid damage (meaning if you walk on acid that was on the ground you don't get blinded)
so that's something at least

>y-you look tasty warmblood~

>He's most likely chained up in Ruins of Sarnath forever
I really, really doubt that the eye in Sarnath is actually Orbb.

Nah I ran through a blast in mid air, I don't think under circumstances should your screen be blacked (or greened) out in an arena shooter.

Because games got more streamlined and people lose patience for these kinds of games where they aren't winning half the time or have someone else to blame.

I know it sounds like mad ramblings but it's true. Look at your favorite online series and tell me it's not.

inb4 they add the orbb update in which they include orbb as playable character and delete ruins of sarnath forever

>deleting the best new map
No.

>No.
Yes

screw your gay ass piano music and your puke green map

i played like utter trash in my first game but as soon as i got into the pace of the game i was doing well, albeit with mistakes of my own

i can see why frequent battlefield/call of duty type players wouldnt enjoy it but im so bored of the mainstream shooters now that i havent touched an fps in months until now

Get QL, much more active.

living poverty tier while im out of a job but may pick it up when i can, or just wait for champions to drop

yeah that was my point, only direct contact from airborne acid
ill have to judge for myself how bad the effect actually is, but if it's as bad as you say it is then i agree with you

whats wrong with sarnath

beta signup page is in the op, you don't need to wait for it
it isn't in the best state right now imo but it's alright

It's gonna be a long wait, but I really think QL and similar games will have their communities die down to only the vets once QC comes out.

actually signed up a while back but havent had any luck so far

What's the best gun and why is it the gauntlet?

Lightning gun makes 3 champions unplayable if you're competent. Rockets would be better if netcode wasn't ass. So I'm going to say zoomed in HMG.

I like SSG the most

Quad spawn
Enemy has the Quad
Party Breaker
Venomous
Enemy has the Quad
Party Breaker
Excellent
Enemy has the Quad
Plague
Party Breaker
Triple Kill
Quad Damage
Rocket God

>retards converge in a single point
>just stand there holding M1

Your team has the Quad
Point Blank
Excellent
Point Blank
Excellent
Point Blank
Net Master
Excellent
Point Blank
Shotgun God

>VENOMOUS
>PLAGUE
>VENOMOUS
>EXCELLENT
>VENOMOUS
>TRIPLE KILL

Best feel.

>Revenant Bones

Easiest sell ever.

Arena FPS is dead and there's nothing you nerds can do to bring it back.

that's why we left it to id

Tim Willits is already preparing the unholy loot box ritual to bring dead genres from the grave.

It never went away though I still play the games I played 20 years ago.

>implying this takes more skill than overwatch
>implying this can even compete with overwatch

There was like 6 different variants for Bones.

raw bones, neon bones, and red/blue bones

that's it

razor had more versions

Those would all be color templates anyway.

give him different skulls

okay how about this
lich robes with hood
medieval warrior armor
wizard robes with a stereotypical cone hat
he also makes some terrible wizard puns when he kills someone

like working his hands to the bone

youtube.com/watch?v=XKWrbpehhhc

What would Bones abilities even be?
>Feign Death - Activate so the next time you take damage you feign death, reactivate to spawn in place with your previous weapons.
>Strong bones - +5 on all armor pickups

takes half damage from nailguns, machineguns and railguns but +50% from rockets and shotguns

>passive: can double jump once (with trajectory change) at the cost of 30 health
>active: throw one of your bones at someone and stun them for 2 seconds
im not creative

youtube.com/watch?v=zFPDKo81cbg

>stats still present
>skills still present
>rocket delay still fucking present
wowee

>4:25
nice

I'm skeptical about this 3 lives with different champions system. So you're going to have to own atleast 3 champions to play Duel? They're going to put the best game mode behind a paywall? Cmon now.

maps are designed for casual shitter fps combat
1v1 will be absolute aids

Did z4 seriously just fucking lose?

zero4 more like zerozero lamo

You dont speak russian?

No, my country only needs to learn one language.
USA best education world.

>syncerror's oshi- moment at 11:02

desu leave abilities in duels

Can i pirate a copy of Quake 3 and play defragged online?

youtube.com/watch?v=YIlpA57Pl5A

Is there a video that explains the movement mechanics of QC? I don't understand anything and there isn't a speedometer to experiment with.

STAHP

>never uses slipgate or strafejumps
>3:41
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

youtube.com/watch?v=aiBDSOknI9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=hPjCwD1cidg&t=335s
for slash's crouch slide
youtube.com/watch?v=onI6I3PyhhU

for practice either use quake live's acceleration tutorial level and put cg_speedometer 1 into the console, or pirate quake 3 load a map and put ch_speedometer 1 in the console

This applies to everyone, especially Visor who does not have a speedcap.

However, Sorlag, Anarki, and Clutch are all very different in terms of movement.

For Anarki, it's similar to CS in that you strafe without W and turn your mouse smoothly to turn in air.
For Clutch, i'm pretty sure strafejumping just doesn't work to gain speed. You have to stay on the ground and run in a straight line to accelerate, but you can do sharp turns to keep accelerating.
For Sorlag, I'm not sure, I never played her but it seems like you can just ignore strafejumping and just do whatever with your keyboard as long as you hold spacebar.

>still not taken down

>or pirate quake 3 load a map and put ch_speedometer 1 in the console
its probably less trouble to download warsow and just play offline to practice desu
no crouch sliding unfortunately but it has every other type of movement in qc, including wall jumps

A few corrections for that second half of your post:
-anarki and sorlag have the same movement, but sorlag has less base speed and a lower speedcap
-they can both stafe with w, a/d, and w+a/d
-clutch can strafe jump, but his speedcap is very close to his base speed (quake.bethesda.net/en/champions/315auFgxmEAc8CiK4Ai4Qy)

>this is the kind of player that gets a beta invite
cant they just run a quick ip scan to see who lives where and just filter out all of the russian ip's

Sorlag has the same tight aircontrol as Anarki?

I played a shit load of Clutch trying to get first place, and I can safely say beyond a shadow of a doubt, jumping makes you lose speed no matter what unless you're going down. The only thing that gains speed is running, on the ground, straight.

I wish they added a practice tool to test this out.

Also that Clutch chart lies, you can get a lot higher than 320 or whatever that red marker is on using Acceleration.

it's a f2p game

disregard that I suck cocks.
looking over a vod it seems like his max is about 320/330 while I was running.
would post but I'm sketchy about posting more, even if I censor them they could backtrack me with game data looking at the other players. triangulate my position and ip ban or something.

but I'm still fairly certain that strafejumping doesn't slows him or doesn't give him speed.

relax, no one stores that much information and is that paranoid about people sharing gameplay when still exists and its still up on youtube

Here's the fastest route I took in a match. I try to walk in straight lines as much as possible with sharp turns, and to walk when I'm taking shots.

They basically want you to play him like you are a bot, which is fitting. Might give noobs bad habits.

>that speed gain
I can't tell if it's actually from the side strafe speed gain or some shitty physics dealing with stairs.

Slopes give you speed in this game. The middle of Burial Chamber is clear to see this.

>The middle of Burial Chamber is clear to see this.
I never go on the middle cause I'm always just killing the retards going for the quad from the side.

Yea you bounce really far off of it if you go down from the top.
My favorite is the SSG spawn by the rail, you get the best angles on so many positions. You can weave in and out, and watch the entrance to your jump pad.

only faggots stand here

why is everyone crying about the genre being dead when arena shooters like overwatch or cs:go exist?

DO NOT REPLY.
I am quarantining this post for further inspection.

>play Overwatch
>Play QC, it's fun
>play Overwatch again
>hate Overwatch
>want to play QC again

if I'm anything to go by, there is a thirsty market for this game

>a thirsty market
rofl

those games suck though

Why would I go try out playing Quake Live with it's 2001 graphix XD and only die-hards playing. All those games are old and bland, or I've never even heard of them. Reflex? What's that? Why should I care?

QC lets me be a turboshitter and play a badass hero with personality and bull rush through the Quad room for glorious kills. Plus, QC has already been discovered by my pleb friends, and it's going to be F2P too.

They're making a bold move with QC trying to fish more people to the genre by going with the f2p formula with mobashit abilities and loot crates. First time something like this has really happened.
I'm hopeful. The abilities themselves don't seem entirely gamebreaking, the core of Quake is still there. This might be the jolt this series need, I hate to say it.
Plus there will be a barebones mode. I don't see this failing as long as you can skip the bullshit.

lol

samefag

Its true, I think the reason quake live and the rest are ded is because its only elitists oldfags still playing. Its just too hard to get into. While QC is fresh and there will be an influx of newfags like myself, makes the game much more enjoyable.

yeah, being new and fresh worked perfectly fine for unreal tournament 4

The best move they can do for adding players is to put an MMR system to duel so that people can actually learn at their own pace instead of being thrown into the shark pit like every other game. That's what turns people off the most.

quake live isnt dead despite cherry picked screenshots

ut4 has beginner servers where anyone above a certain level can't join. you can even see the average skill level of players (ELO) before you join a server. iirc it also has match making (wip). it's still dead.

literally the only reasons QC might become popular are account progression and abilities, both things no quake player ever wanted. f2p will also ruin the community like it did with tf2. i'd rather stick to quake live and get my ass handed to me than playing QC.

yeah man mmr systems make all games good
just look at my totally alive game overwatch

>1000 players daily peak in ql
>not dead

reminder that tf2 STILL gets peaks over 50k and is considered dying by many

>OW
>dead
we're talking about arena shooters anyway man. the only other one with an mmr system is reflex but it's behind a paywall and no one else plays it.

>tfw i bought reflex on release thinking it would become the next 2k4 in terms of community size

Except bethesda can afford to throw a shit ton of money at marketing.
Looks pretty fucking dead to me.

what happened in oct 2015? some huge update?

I should give UT4 a try while QC is down. Is it good?

You are like little baby.

BEHOLD TRUE REGRET.

coming from 2k4 and ut3, i think it's great. some people complain about the movement and weapons, but it all seems good to me. the maps that actually have textures look gorgeous.
don't expect more than 50 players (globally) at any given time of the day, though.