How do you reduce expenses?

How do you reduce expenses?

Spend more

Trust me, it works

Cancel as many crappy subscription services you can a lot of people have Dropbox or some vpn service they signed up for that they don't really use.

This. Invest in yourself.

Don't like cleaning up after yourself? Hire a maid. Don't like driving? Hire a taxi. Don't like grocery shopping? Hire an agent.

Some of these plebs are ridiculous trying to make money with money. Money is meant to be spent, it's the only reason to have it and nothing is worth spending money on besides yourself and your wants and needs.

Grocery budget that removes all processed empty calories

Meal prep insread of eating out.

Get hobbies that don't cost anything or only have start up costs and then cost nothing or hobbies that you can intertwine with other healthy frugal goals, such as camping/weightlifting/biking/cooking

Do multiple errands in a single trip to save fuel.

Use box fans and electric blankets instead of whole house AC and heat.

Don't have any kind of subscription entertainment services other than internet.

Learn how to do your own car maintenance

like Netflix?

Sort out a budget plan, don't be tempted by the consumerism around you, only buy what you need to and cut out the extra. Favorably, minimalist living.

This user gets it.

Invest in more efficient equipment or get other people to do the work for you.

Reevaluate all of your recurring expenses. Most of recurring expenses can be downsized. Also take note of how many times a week you dine out, go to the movies, etc, and cut it by some extent. Don't stop dining out, buying superfluous, just take note in a month how many times and how much you spend on this and cut by, say, 50% to start with. Everything which implies a radical change like cutting everything won't last, so go in baby steps.

A tactic I used starting in 2015.

Lists

I did a list of everything I want to buy that year (in mine I had some guitar, videogames) and also on top of this list I put how much $$$ I wanted saved by the end of the year.

What happened is, some things I wanted from the list I scratched, it was just an unnecessary want most of them, and I saved more than I proposed myself to save.

Put this list in Evernote, Notes in iPhone, Google Drive/what have you and always keep it current and always look at it so you will be reminded all the time.

The first step is to track your expenses. I started using mint and it's making me feel more in control of things and allows me to see where the easiest cuts are to make.

This is true, it's all the harder to amass a fortune now anyway, spending is good for the economy and debt is also ''good'', but the OP was asking how to reduce expenses...

steal more

Take a honest accounting of your life and your spending.

Look at your purchases for the past year. Which purchases made you the happiest? Which improved your life? Which were stupid purchases?

Use your new insight to guide future decisions.

This is just one of many things you can do.

I reduced my expenses by losing my job

Saving water
>paper plates, reuse plastic utensils
>piss in bottles and only use the toilet when you shit
>quick shower, soap scrub and out

Electricity
>unplug everything that doesnt need to be on constantly (refrig)
>use power strips to shut off things not in use
>turn off lights if youre not in that room

Food
Literally the one thing you need to do everyday, multiple times so it should be one of the cheapest things.

>no eating out
>buy in bulk, Costco and Sams are godsends
>bottled water

Car
If you're not living out of a car, all you really use it for is for driving from A to B. Look for the cheapest, most fuel efficient and reliable vehicle. A $16,000 honda and a $40,000 luxury vehicle both get you where you need to go.

Misc.
Save your loose change, it adds up.

good goys

Take note of everything you spend money on, and then think "is this necessary or is there a cheaper alternative?", then proceed to cut back on those expenses for a week to try it out. You'll notice it's easier than you'd think to live without half the stuff you're used to.

I used to grab lunch at work every day, then I started bringing in sandwiches, which take 2 minutes to prepare every morning. That's saving me $160 a month.

Cancel your cable, who the fuck watches TV anyway?
Stop shopping at fast fashion clothing chains, buy 5 more expensive but quality pieces every year.
Buy a quality phone and run it for years, don't upgrade just because you can.
Research cheaper phone plans, insurance or whatever subscription services you have on at least a bi-monthly basis.

But most importantly, before you're about to spend money, think "Do I really need this?"

Honestly I'm preaching a minimalist life style.

spotted the shills

BUY ALL OF YOUR NON-PERISHABLE SUPPLIES IN BULK ON SALE take advantage of every good sale you can by buying out the stock

learn to cook for yourself and cook well, invest some of the money you would've spent on shit on quality ingredients.

pirate everything that isn't a book and hit up libraries for sales. don't invest money in netflix.

I download at least 3 illegal movies/TV shows a day because I don't pay for cable and use a VPN. I actually got a letter a while back from Comcast telling me to stop but once I got a VPN it's never happened

Also don't buy fast food op

Move to 3rd world country.

You can live in a nice studio in a decent area in Bangkok for 5000 baht per month (~125USD). Food is dirt cheap ( you can easily survive on 3 usd per day).

Rent out or put your house on AIRbnb, flee the cold months in europe or northern america.

Granted, there are extra costs (flights and visa).

But as my friend put it: "Oh New York. 19.31$ for a smoothie and a bagel. If I'd stayed on holiday I would've saved money."

I don't understand why more people don't do this.

common tip i give many people;
use a credit card to lower expenses. That way your not using money from your bank account and you have more saved at the end of the day.

and where does the money that pays the credit card bill come from.

>doesn't understand time value of money
And this is why you will remain poor.

From the savings or investment accounts you have.

By using a credit card, you have more control over what money you use for expenses; you can have less liquid cash on hand until the bill is due.

>Implying buying a new car is ever a good idea

Top fucking kek, you can buy 5 used cars for the price of a 16,000 dollar new Honda.

NEVER buy a new car. Buying a new car is for chumps.

See, this is why you will stay poor.

Used cars might be cheaper up front, but have a shit ton of hidden costs that poor people such as yourself waste all their money on.

A new car will last longer, don't consume money on repairs, use less fuel, the list goes on.

It's called an investement dipshit

You can buy a used car with more than half of it's life remaining for a fraction of the price of a new car.

Your car will drop by thousands in value just by driving it off the lot.

If you learn to work on cars or at least get a mechanic to look at any used car you want to buy you can avoid buying a lemon.

New car means needing full coverage insurance + higher rates because it's worth more money, higher up-front cost etc.

I bought a used 2001 model car back in 2007 for $2,750 and I still drive it to this day and it has had no major problems. If you dropped 16k on a brand new car I feel sorry for you, ESPECIALLY if you financed it on credit, your 16k car would end up costing you more than that in the long run. There's no repair a piece of shit 3k car would need to make the total cost of your car come anywhere close to 16k.

>wasting your time working on your car like some high school drop out instead of making money
>riding in a shit sled so employers and costumers alike have the lowest opinion of you
>implying i will not sell my nice car to some assclown like you once it doesn't work perfectly anymore
>implying i am not a master salesman and will easily make my money back if not turn a profit

Yeah spending the occasional 30 minutes on a manual oil change or checking under the hood is really not worth saving 13,000 dollars, now that I've done the math there is no way that a sane individual would want to spend ~30 hours a year keeping their car running smoothly when they can spend those 30 hours earning more than 13,000 dollars.

Also Spotify.

This. Bought a used Jeep 10 years ago for $1200 and it's still my daily driver. I only pay $20/month for car insurance now.

Why don't you invest your time into doing something more productive than spending 5 hours watching TV?

Are you retarded or just bad at understanding that CC's give cash back plus an extra cushion to protect your bank account between checks (if you're using them correctly)

>shit sled
Someone is too much of a poor fag pleb to just retouch a used car for tiny sums of money needed

This. I use my cc like a normal debit card, mainly for the rewards points and to reduce exposure to my deposit accounts. This has also had a side effect of helping me manage and reduce expenses since I'm paying a large bill all at once when the statement arrives.

sounds pretty dumb

doublenigger

A basic service will cost you around $150 in Australia. That works out to about $40-50 in parts and the rest in labour. The job takes around an hour.

Unless you are earning close to $100 an hour it is worthwhile from a money/time perspective to do it yourself.

Also the better you understand your car, the better you will get at identifying problems early. Identifying problems early can mean they are cheaper to fix, or at least reduce the chance of your car stranding you on the side of the road.

list your expenses here, and I will objectively tell you what you can cut back on