Etrian Odyssey General

EO Guides, References, Music, Art Books, etc.
pastebin.com/6cmH2LjS
>EO V Information
sq-atlus.jp/sq5/

>EOMD2
sq-atlus.jp/sfd2/

>EO V Skill Simulator
waifusims.com/EOV/skillSim.html
jii.moe/EkvsTrdY-.html# (Class Skills)
jii.moe/VyvBiy6dW.html# (Race Skills)

>EO V item and quest translation list
pastebin.com/c4uzKptj (Item list)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oz2FGmL0QpE2-Qkb8zz-t_MP_WEpDo6gzlA29-wJIDw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0 (Quest list)
pastebin.com/8sJhutN7 (Conditional drops)

>EO V color editor.
edit.s2.xrea.com/sq5/
>EO V VA list
pastebin.com/gM4KaYjs

>EO V Game & DLC.cia link
mega.nz/#F!XkJiHBIb!vzL2CLjZZVA-yAGS7UZgdA

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Remove stick

Best twig edition - I approve.

>Best twig
no

>thread barely started
>already ded
rip eo, neVer eVer

We need to find more autists to laugh at.

I'm currently playing through EO U2 with a Ronin, DH, Beast, Hexer, Warmagus party.
I've been playing with the Beast in the frontline and the Magus in the back line, but seeing how I don't do anything but spam Hit Taker on the Beast, would it be smarter to have the Beast in the back row?

>magus in backline
don't
beast can be anywhere but seeing how you have 3 frontline units put it away

You get no benefit from backline beast but you do get them for front row war magus, specially sicne you have a hexer.

War Magus is a frontline character - the healing is secondary (especially since your Hexer can control enemies very reliably) and Ailing Slash is highly valuable.

Your Beast can be anywhere it literally does not matter - even in the backline it will take full damage when it uses Hit-Taker.

(Btw you are low on elemental damage. If you are running expert you might get into trouble with that - especially since Ronin is generally underperforming in EO2U.)

>fafnir
>transformed
>ailing slash 10
>charged
>sleeping target

So does Hit Taker still take effect in the back line, but the damage just doesn't get reduced? I just take a reduced amount of the damage the original target would take, depending on their row?

Also, on the 10th floor right now, been primarily using the Magus as a healer with Artery, War Response and War Heal, barely leveled anything else but haven't really run into any trouble yet because Venom Curse and Ecstasy seem kind of OP early on.

Got the Peerless Combo on my Ronin as well, but it's kind of Underwhelming in terms of damage output... does that get better later on?

Aren't waves purely TEC-based elemental and thus don't get a boost from sleeping enemies?

Doesn't Fafnir only get a 50% damage bonus in transformation with only STR?
I'm pretty sure a Dark Hunter against a fully bound target runs circles around him with Trance -> Ecstasy 20. Even without sleep the damage would probably be higher.

i hate this general sometimes..

>So does Hit Taker still take effect in the back line, but the damage just doesn't get reduced?
yes you take the same damage whenever you are
>primarily using the Magus as a healer
you'e doing it wrong, ailing slash and vampire are priorities
>does that get better later on?
No ronins got gutted dead after being OP in 2

Ronin damage is always underwhelming for how much Stances hinder them.
But how do you have Peerless Combo on the 10th Floor? Even if you rush for it you need like a million skill points...
Anyways, even with Peerless Combo, all three combo skills and both Peerless Stance and Upper Stance at max Ailing Slash will regularely outperform Peerless Combo.
Not only is it way, way easier to set up (especially with a Hexer in your party) it also ignores resistances to Cut damage...

Can I fight the Overlord in EO2U with just the Princess' elemental circles?

How's gunner in EO2U? I'm stuck between him or a troubadour.

Gunner sucks just like in the original. Ricky is the only OP gunner. FUCK YOU RICKY

I don't know if the partner's line matter or not, but beast's definitely doesn't. I'd usually say that later on you should consider protection vow but seeing the bulk of your party it probably won't make much of a difference.
War magus using the deadly ailing slash+vampire combination will free up your beast a lot when it comes to protecting the front row though.

Getting peerlesss combo so early is a mistake - and I thought it was an impossibility as well.
Firstly because you spread your points too thin to do any real damage. Secondly becuse peerless stance needs a lot of investment in the other stances (and having them at max helps save turns) while peerless combo is based on the level of swallow strike, moon whatever and ground whatsitsname.
So until you can provide high levels for all those skills, peerless combo is trash. In the meantime, it's better to focus on one or two stances with their respective elemental attacks (which aren't part of peerless combo but more useful than it most of the time).

Well, ailing slash will still love that sleeping target, won't it?

I got it on level 25, even though I put a few points into stuff that's not needed for it... You only need 5 Points in every stance, 1 point in the three attacks of the Peerless Combo, and 3 points in Peerless Stance.

But, yeah, this thread is really making me rethink keeping my Ronin... she was really good early on and the Force Break regularly saved my ass, but now she's just kind of... there. Any ideas on what I should replace her with? I'm thinking Alchemist or Survivalist.

Definitely gonna respec my War Magus though, I spend roughly 20 points on healing skills already, I think I'll be fine with like... just Artery, maybe.

>Level 25 at B10F
w e w

Gunner is a slightly lesser alchemist. Troubadour is the most broken class in the game.
But what does the rest of your party look like to be torn between such different options? Troub will need elemental users to unleash their full might.

Alchemist is the better option with that party as without ronin your only source of elemental damage is gone. You can still make ronin work but peerless combo is VERY lategame.
Survivalist is a very gimmicky class. You have enough good physical damage dealers, hexer vastly outperforms it for ailments and their unique hazy arrow gimmick is not only lategame it also conflicts heavily with hit-taker.

>But what does the rest of your party look like to be torn between such different options? Troub will need elemental users to unleash their full might.
Ronin, Magus, Beast, Hexer.
I need a source of elemental damage, but don't want to take alchemist. I thought troub's elemental buffs might suffice.

W-what? Is that bad? I didn't intentionally grind at any point, I just did all the quests...

Right, thank you!

It follows the usual "rule" of floor*2+5 to a fault.

I just thought about it and you're right. For some reason I thought he was overleveled.

Circles need something that activate it - so at the very least you would need Shock Oils.
Don't do it unless you love to suffer...

It's eerie how similar your two parties are.
Both would do okay I guess. Ronin and WM can benefit from preludes but only ronin can get anything out of fantasias. On the other hand, gunner might outperform the extra beef the other two get with troub and you get more reliable elemental damage on the side.

It's a very generic EO2 party since everyone wants to use the new classes.

Alchemist will be able to fix both your lack of elemental damage and lack of area damage so they are a really nice fit.

Survivalist has some ailments but Hexer has all of them but Paralysis - and they are way better at landing them.
They also have some damage but they are not worth taking along just for that since it will never be that spectacular.

I'd take Alchemist.

Level 25 is the perfect level to fight the 2nd Stratum boss at.

The Preludes of Troubadour only affect normal attacks.
Since normal attacks are not worth anything after the first stratum (outside of Landsknecht with Double Attack and Fencer both at 20) you really would not make up for your lack of elemental damage.

Ronin can deal some elemental damage but it's still Ronin so the damage is delayed (unless the stance auto-proccs) and costly.

My game plan was to use Princess' guard order + circles + Hexer's sapping to negate elemental dmg instead of opting for Protector walls. Man why did I ever think this was a good idea. I guess I'll level a prot.

Or you could just get wall grimoires.

If you don't want Alchemist how about a Gunner? Their elemental damage is solid and point Blank can make good use of a Hit-Taker Beast (since it makes ranged attacks melee for one turn).

In fact, with a Gunner this party would be exactly what I used in my first EO2U expert run and it carried me all the way through.

Uh, I'm the noob who put the Magus in the back line, and I have one more question.
I put Curb ATK and Venom Curse to level 10 for my Hexer just because those 600 damage Poison ticks were too tempting to give up, but now I'm not sure what to invest in next. Curse Mastery is on 5 as well.

Guard Order and Sapping Curse don't manipulate resistances.
They will only reduce damage - and with the dimishing returns for buffs not even by that much.

You will probably still take 20% to 30% damage (because Circles don't get DR) which takes the elemental blasts out of overkill territory - but that are a lot of dead skill points in most situations...

Man I butchered my setup a lot. I'm surprised it managed to rough its way out of sticky situations. Guess I'll invest in those wall grims and rest my entire party.

Curb ATK Up increases the chance to inflict stuff, not poison damage.
Curse Mastery also increases the chance to inflict stuff.

The bind Curses can be useful for your Dark Hunter since 3 bind Ecstasy is just obscenely broken.

Strong control Ailments are Madness Curse (the enemy will only be able to do a random attack as long as they are paniced - no skills whatsoever) and Evil Eye (the skills that can be used on feared target prevent them from doing anything to your party).

In the OP of the thread are a lot of Grimoire QRs.
Not sure if the Walls are all there in lower levels but any Wall between level 5 and 9 will completely negate one instance of its element for every party member.
10 or higher is usually not needed since all it does is give you some absorb for way higher TP costs. At of course rank 10 Grimoires are way more expensive to trade for.

Holy fucking shit that might have just saved my team. Have another gup crossover fanart.

Remember that you need a shield to use the Walls - but any character with a Wall Grimoire will be able to equip shields.
Just don't forget actually buying one.

Personally I'm biased toward blindness since it's damn good against physical attacks (and with the blindness buff food they will ALWAYS miss). Torpor can give you some crazy numbers with ailing slash but you have to make sure nobody attacks between hexer landing the curse and war magus attacking (which in almost all instances will attack last. They're slow).
Do not get corrupting curse for anything other than conditional drops, curse is trash for players.

As said, dark hunter will love some support with binds.
Panic locks down the enemy quite effectively but you still get hit a lot so I prefer blind.
Fear is more sadistically fun to use. If left alone, it's a lot like paralysis but if you don't mind your hexer not assisting with other ailments and binds for a few turns, conflict word and suicide word will pretty much put the monsters on your side, with shielding word giving you an extra beast.

What level do I need for the 5th stratum boss in EO4?

Also what level should I go to the 6th stratum?

Level 55 should do just fine.
I usually arrive at the boss a bit overleveled though (between level 56 and 58).

You can visit the 6th Stratum right after finishing the story portion of the game.
The first floor is not that bad and only on the second things get mean.

But I would personally first do all the quests you get at the bar.
Killing the bird is no problem at all and even the dragons are pretty much pushovers in EOIV.

Why just war magus for torpor curse? Dark Hunter can get even crazier numbers with fully bound force boosted ecstasy/rose prison.
Of course anything involving sleep is more fit for a one-attack burst strategy so it isn't as all-pupose as the other ailments.

>only on the second things get mean.
wrong, edges of the map spawn wrath blooms and if you can't one turn them pain awaits

Early in the year Atlus announced two SMT games for the anniversary, one of them for 3DS. Is Deep Strange Journey the 3DS one or is it something else? Because two SMT games in production looks bad for EO, but three of them would just be awful.

The full title of the original was Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey.
So Deep Strange Journey should definitely be a SMT title.

But is it the anniversary 3DS title they promised? If it isn't, it's just an additional SMT project on the side. And since the sub-division of Atlus in charge of SMT is also in charge of EO, the less SMT games the better for us.

Even though our current bottleneck is still Atlus USA's retardedness.

What better thing for an anniversary than a remake?
Also corporate speak basically means that it is one of the two - if they had two brand new games and one remake they would talk about three games instead because it's a bigger number and thus more exciting.
Technicalities and truth come later, PR first - even in Japan.

How is 1 year for a fucking translation justifiable in any way shape or form

>Atlus announces EMD 2
>Atlus announces Persona Q 2
>Atlus announces Persona 5 Arena
>Atlus announces Persona 5 dancing
>Atlus announces SMT Strange Journey remake
>Atlus announces Radiant Historia remake
>Atlus announces SMT for switch

>still no EO5 localization

HAHA JUST

It would be pretty sweet if both SMT and EO were to get 3DS remakes this year.

Alright, assuming that the game doesn't come to the west, how likely would it be that a fan translation project would be done?

Slim. The fanbase is quite small and there remains the technical hurdle of repacking the game.

I'm still mad

What do you mean repacking?

Depends if someone finds a way to re-crypt it.
Currently the encryption can be removed and data can be changed so inserting different text is possible.

But unless you recrypt it too much has to be loaded at once and you get single digit framrates in the dungeon and multi-second lag whenever any sort of dialogue loads.

So right now it's unlikely to ever happen.

>あっ
kek
Anyway they're teasing us with that. It's not by chance that EMD2 borrows so heavily from EO3 while completely ignoring EO5 and paying almost no attention to EO4 and Eo1 which already got covered with EMD1.
Believe!

Inside the game's files everything is compressed. How to decompress everything has been figured out, but recompressing it again in exactly the same way is still uncharted territory.

neVer eVer
maybe in 5 years on april 1st

I wanted to say that it's too late for EO3U to come out this year but I had forgotten it took less than 4 months for EO2U to go from announcement to release. It could technically happen!

Nice futile hope

They only did it so more people would get upset about it not being EO3U and making a ruckus about it on social media.

This way
1. people talk about EMD2
2. people talk passionately about EO making it seem like a franchise that's not dead in the water

Ok, level 60 is enough for 6th stratum?

Easily.
Just keep in mind that the post-game in EOIV has a big difficulty spike.
Whereas most of the game is extremely easy for EO standards the 6th stratum is almost in line with the rest of the series.

no, 6th stratum is always a special case, don't expect to move far as 60

Well, should I do the first floor, then grind to 70 and do the rest?

I had a suboptimal team (no Origin Rune or Accel Drive) and I managed to get through just fine after killing the bird and dragons.
I felt no need to grind whatsoever - sure I needed to use Burst skills and really think about what I did but that's what the post-game is for.

Do all quests, carefully move through the floor and upon reaching the next floor do the quests that one unlocks.

Up until you reach the superboss (also known as the insect) there is absolutely no reason to grind.

Except if you want to make it really easy for yourself - play however you like but it is not "necessary" to get a bunch of levels before continueing on.

You walk around until you are 65-67 then go kill postgame quest shit like dragons or birb. Once you have only fallen one left you go back to halls of darkness and explore it fully, don't even bother with fallen one at this point, it's a far bigger pain in the ass than chemical saviour. Once you're in higher 90s you can finally stand well enough against two remaining bosses, finish everything and call it a game. If you feel autistic enough you can grind a lot to beat chemical-less saviour.

I can see being kind of nervous about the dragons and leveling up for them - but for the bird?
Can he even do anything?

You could use its XP as well as the quest reward to cut down your grinding time - and maybe start farming it for materials in order to give your Sniper or Dancer (if you have any) a good bow.

What annoys me about the series in general is how buff-stacking works.

It wasn't really bad for the first 3 games, but it feels that EO4 has way more buffs, and it's hard to use spotter, fortress guards, runemaster runes and etc without overriding important individual buffs like vanguard and all the rest.

How does overriding buffs works anyway?

>but for the bird? Can he even do anything?
Not really but why waste birds exp when you're already 60+, it's better to do hall for gear, kill dragons and then remove bird

Reminder that the jii.moe skill simulator links in the OP are busted.

Swap it for this one:

>spotter, fortress guards
Simple solution: don't.
At least not these buffs.

No class in EOIV has actually problems hitting the enemy. Misses happen so rarely spotter is not worth the skill points, buff slot or turn needed to set it up.
It's not like EOIII where Gladiator and Arbalist would miss regularely unless they enchance their accuracy.

At the same time getting a 25% damage reduction against one damage type is not worth anything.
If you want your Fortress to not tank every few turns use it to set up Rampart and throw out Party Shields afterwards Rampart reduces elemental and physical damage taken by 30% and Party Shield reduces all damage taken by 15% (it's so sad that this reduction is so small...).

Biggest problem for me is that Runemaster Runes are allowed to push out Dancer dances - that is really stupid as it effectively reduces your Dancer to only use two dances at a time (since Runes need to be re-applied so often).

That one is already in the OP.
But having it three times (if you swap both jii.moe links out for it) would be a hilarious showcase of how dead the series is.

What's the worst kind of funtioning party you can create in EOIV?

It needs a defensive support (even if that's only a Break Landy or Guard Tango Dancer), a healer and either 3 damage characters or 2 damage characters and a not completely defensive support.

I want to try to make a run challenging without going for a SCC or solo run.

Any recommendations for my first EOU playthrough? Technically the first one I ever played (I've played part of a touhou clone and I guess the mapping component is kind of like SMT Strange Journey in a way), so I was wondering if story or classic was a better choice for a first go-around.

Don't feel confident enough to build your own party and want to get a grasp of the game's mechanics with a strong party that won't let you down? Play story.

Want to complete the game to a 100%? Play story first, then classic.

Don't mind making mistakes or not being able to get everything? Play classic.

>mistakes
>being unable to get everything

How to grind fast in EO4? Do I get these QR codes for level 99 characters to fill the party? Something to do with them not being official party members and thus not getting exp, so if you have 4 of them and another character, the exp gets polled all into the other char.

Where do I even get that QR code again?

Spotter is completely necessary for Squall Volley to actually hit.

Some people just like to suffer.
Masochism is almost a normie kink at that point.

Leg binds, panic, blind

And even without any of these you can just fire it and get your four hits for Link activation just fine.

Spotter is reliable, leg bind/panic/blind isn't, specially against bosses.

Some people don't like Linker party due to the brokeness

It's an interesting decision to make - sacrifice a buff slot or rely on binds/ailments.
Are there any other skills with low hitrates in EOIV? I don't think that game has too many of those.

The easiest solution is probably not to bother with Sniper outside of a Linker party.

That's right. Delete trap medic.

Do you guys think a Knecht Solo Run is possible in Untold 1?

Delet this. Scruffy a best.

There is a Protector solo run and Landsknecht does not have that much lower defenses for way more offenses.

Although I'm not sure if your TP hold out to make use of your offenses.

Hey, still pretty new to the series just getting into 4 and just defeated the second boss, my current party is L/N/D, M/R , now I've unlocked arcanists, retiring and two of those level 25 scrolls, from what I've read retiring my Medic and making her an Arcanist, then later subbing Medic is a good choice, should I retire anyone else?
I was also thinking of maybe switching the dancer with a fortress, because except curing status she never does much for me.

I would let him heal me.

If you retire both your Medic and your Dancer you will lose most of your active heal until you unlock subclassing.
Arcanist can heal actively but they need a turn to set up a Circle so it's not always available.

It's possible to heal mostly with Bracing Walk until you get subclassing but in preperation you should pack a few extra Medicas.

Also if I'm not mistaken retiring is only available at level 30 even in EOIV. Usually you should be around level 25 to 27 after the second stratum so to actually retire you would still need a few levels.
Maybe waiting until you get subclassing (which is halfway through the 3rd maze) would be a good idea even if it means your new recruits will only be level 25 with the scrolls.
Subclassing is also the point at which Fortress starts to get good since Fan Dance of a Dancer subclass lets them evade many of the hits they pull towards themselves.

Im starting Untold 2, I wanna protector and princess but I really dont know what else to pick. War magus needs a ailment guy, and I dont want to neglect binds so I want a gunner there too. So far Im just confused at how to build a working party. Can some anyone run me through the classes?

If you want binds and ailments just go hexer and you can get a war magus free.