I'm finishing up my undergrad studying geology...

I'm finishing up my undergrad studying geology, whats the best masters program to set me up with a career to make a good amount of money?

The one that make you a good amount of money.

That is the besta one.

Petroleum engineering.

This.
I can't see anything else tangentially related to geology that'll make fistfuls of cash

If all you want to do is make money, I wouldn't do any master's at all. You're better off starting a business

I can see how you'd think that from my question, but I actually really enjoy my major and would like to find a career that utilizes it. I'm just not entirely sure what direction i want to take it yet, and figured following the money was as good as any other method for figuring it out.

I looked into this a bit since you mentioned it, but honestly I don't think I'd enjoy or stand out as an engineer. While searching I did stumble upon the position of Petroleum Geologist, which seems more my speed and is something I'm really considering right now, so thanks!

get into uranium mining, nuclear power is the future

Is the US planning on developing new plants anytime soon? Public opinion seems to be hampering development from my understanding, which is a shame.

Ask your teachers
My parents did PhDs in geology but by the time they ended their thesis there were no jobs in the industry other than surface/environmental geology. Father works for university's administration and mother became real estate agent. They never had the occasion to actually do geology
TL DR
Chose wisely and see your life take another direction anyway

My family owns an oil production company and it's where my work experience is as well. Our petroleum engineers have cushy jobs - 9-5, weekends off, starting salary at around $100k with a lot of growth. Geologists on the other hand get shit on in the industry. Paid significantly less (40% less is typical), worse jobs (more travel, longer hours), and there is a reputation in the industry that geologists are just people who weren't smart enough to become engineers. I highly recommend you pursue petroleum engineering and be making 200k+ after 5 years of work with a company.

I would also recommend not going into the oil industry if you can help it but seems like it's too late since you already have the geology degree.

Hmm, if not oil what about mining? Obviously less money in it but I've heard 6 figures isn't uncommon. Or is that industry equally fucked?

>Obviously less money in it
the average is brought down by coal mining which doesn't pay shit.

the problem with metals mining is it's becoming increasingly automated, doesn't employ very many people, and is also cyclical based on market prices.

The only sector that booms during up and down markets is environmental and reclamation. Unfortunately a geology degree isn't particularly relevant to that line of work.

We'll since both industry's are cyclical, what's the chances that in 3 years one of them will be in the rise? Lol

Also, I currently intern with a drilling & blasting company over the summers (this summer I'll start drilling). It doesn't utilize my degree at all, but I'm certain they'll hire and train me as a blaster right as I finish my undergrad. This is just a backup plan if things don't pan out.

OILOILOILOILOIL

Geologists that help identify oil deposits rake in ridiculous salaries

Eventually it will catch on when our generations get older and the ones who hate nuclear energy die off in 30~ years

That's what I've found while looking into petroleum geology, however I also found that when the industry is down the exploration aspect of the job is cut first. So right now doesn't seem like the best time to get into that, but like others have pointed out the industry is cyclical.

Does anyone know if oil will likely be on the rise soon, or how/where to keep up with said trends?

Nothing. Oil companies are barely hiring. Most geos I know can't find work, including myself. Cut your losses. You might have a small chance with hydrogeology though.

Renewable energy engineering

My professors mainly just say that "most graduates go into environmental consulting" which seems lame desu

Tbh**

Autocorrect made me a week :(

Oh for fucks sake, weeb*